Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #61
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
What I do

Did they catch that guy yet?

When I encounter horses or a fellow biker on the trail I am usually on the mountain bike. I stop and move out of the trail and tell them, "it's ok, I'm going to move over and take a break while you guys pass."

This lets the horse know I am just a person and lets the rider concentrate on the pass but also gives them time to be easy about it and not try to cowboy the horse down the trail. It clarifies what I want to have happen, they pass while I drink some water. Usually the rider will then volunteer of they are just waiting for others in their group or whathaveyou.

We have a lot of horses out here and many times it is a family thing. The bigger folks might be used to others on the trail but for the younger folks, it could be their first time. I want to make sure I do my part to make being outside fun. Out here, horses have the right of way.

That said, some of the horse crap on the trail is pretty unreasonable, which makes it less fun for me and my family on pedal bikes.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #62
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Ummm... Manassas Park is a completely different city. That would be like saying hanging out in Arlington reflects the realities of living in Alexandria. I didn't call you a name either. I simply pointed out that elitists need to get their facts straight. I stand by that statement, especially in light of your confusion over which Virginia city you are lambasting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109
Clearly, the elitists don't spend much time in Manassas. A careful look at the site you linked shows the city is safer than 37% of the cities in the US while places like Alexandria are safer than 38%. I can see how you would sneer at those peasants outside the Beltway.

So the at the end wasn't directed at me?

Jim

PS MY opinion is that Manassas, Manassas Park, and the whole area basically sucks. While there arecertainly some nice people there, as YOU usually are, the area is on par with Woodbridge in general quality of people!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #63
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Did they catch that guy yet?
I hope so, but don't know.

Where I live I'm in debt to the horses. Am only 45 miles out of NYC, yet we've got many dirt roads within minutes of my house. The roads are kept dirt because the horses and riders don't care for pavement.

No problem stopping and waiting for the horses to go by. Even stop on my bicycle. Kind of self-serving, but we've got some very attractive women who ride and I don't mind watching.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #64
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
All we have to go by is the story of the horse lady. The actual facts may be ysignificantly different, especially considering the fact that "horse people" are some of the most spoiled, entitled, self-absorbed nitwits you will ever have the displeasure of meeting. It doesn't sound good for the motorcyclist at this point, but I'm going to reserve judgment.
Hah,

I've been a motorcyclist my whole life, and have lived on a horse ranch for 10 years.
I'd trust the judgment, responsibility, and civility of the average equestrian over that of the average motorcyclist any day.

windmill screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 08:24 PM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #65
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Windmill reminded me by quoting this...

Quote:
All we have to go by is the story of the horse lady. The actual facts may be significantly different, especially considering the fact that "horse people" are some of the most spoiled, entitled, self-absorbed nitwits you will ever have the displeasure of meeting. It doesn't sound good for the motorcyclist at this point, but I'm going to reserve judgment.
I know a lot of "horse people" and your statement couldn't be further from the truth. You could replace the phrase "horse people" with just about any jackass you may happen to meet on the street and it would be applicable.

Damn, this is turning into another bicycle thread but with a horse as the subject instead of a cyclist.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #66
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,625
I didn't see any "witness statements" except the horse lady. Are we reading the same story?

I have a bit of a hard time believing someone would be that much of an asshole, and I don't immediately give 100% credence to the horse lady's tale. Maybe he didn't see the horses and didn't know why the poeple had stopped. Maybe he decided to ease by on the left side, and suddenly the horse came into view. Maybe the horse lady was mistaken when she thought he deliberately aimed at her and "revved his engine." Maybe he tried to use the front brake to stop for the nice horsey and accidentaly rolled on some throttle at the same time. That happens all the time to novices, especially if they're surprised.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #67
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:

I have a bit of a hard time believing someone would be that much of an asshole,

You do? Move to NOVA for a month. That's all you'll need, just a month. You'll see.

As far as the rest of your post, Jeez.

http://potomaclocal.com/2013/09/05/h...tlefield-park/

The road goes thru a National Park. If you don't want the occasional stopping, go another way. In 20+ years of driving that road I've only had to stop once for horseback riders crossing the road. There are plenty of alternatives to taking Rt. 29.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #68
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
All we have to go by is the story of the horse lady....
Uhh no Jim, not quite.

Quote:
Prince William County Police have not been able to identify the motorcyclist. They have a case number but no report because witnesses were only able to get a partial license plate and the case is considered reckless driving.
That linked article refers to plural witnesses.

This one goes even further:

Quote:
The auto drivers who had stopped for the equestrians told police the motorcyclist was male, and was wearing green and black. They say the bike had saddlebags, and the letters AK were on the side.
Both articles linked from the OP.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #69
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post

Both articles linked from the OP.
He doesn't care.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:34 AM   #70
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
He doesn't care.

OK, maybe my hatred of those four-legged spawns of Satan is affecting my reading ability a little bit.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #71
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Hah,

I've been a motorcyclist my whole life, and have lived on a horse ranch for 10 years.
I'd trust the judgment, responsibility, and civility of the average equestrian over that of the average motorcyclist any day.
You obviously haven't met the horse people in/near NoVA. Self-important, elitist, and entitled are the nicer things you can say about them.

M
Old 09-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #72
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Not in any way defending the asshat who perpetrated this...
Yeah you are. Over and over you're pretty much saying "I'm not defending the guy BUT..."

Quote:
However I would say that riding a horse in an area where you know you will be crossing roads it is not unthinkable that they may encounter engine noise in the course of the days ride. The circumstances of this incident are unusual, but not really that different than if the path paralleled the road and somebody revved their engine while passing.
Completely different. They didn't report any trouble while riding NEAR the road. But a motorcyclist crossed the double yellow to pass numerous stopped cars, charged towards the horses and skimmed by in close proximity. If that's not what he did, let's hear him step up and explain his side of it.

For those who are saying how he might not have seen that there were horses, BULLSHIT. Horses, especially with riders on them are TALL, how do you not see them? And if there was a line of stopped cars, do you just ride around them over a double yellow with no awareness or concerns about "why are these cars stopped?" If he was really so stupid and arrogant and unaware as to do this, well then I suppose once he DOES see there are horses, we couldn't expect him to stop then either? Nope, this is on the motorcyclist all the way.

And did you read the part where a DIFFERENT horse rider (not the one injured here who didn't want to be identified) said she'd had a similar incident with a motorcyclist a few days earlier? Sounds like the guy's system for getting by a whole bunch of stopped cages at once!

I am as annoyed as anyone with people who will take horses out to ride on roads (we have a lot of dirt roads here), and then want all passing traffic to stop for them because they and their horse can't handle it. But this is different. The horses were being ridden on a designated horse trail, which crosses the road at this spot. Everybody else stopped to let them by, why couldn't the motorcyclist wait like the car drivers did? Especially as he was behind numerous cars that had stopped.

Motorcyclist was a prick, that's all there is to it.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:41 AM   #73
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,800
Personally, I don't like horses and hate horseback riding. But I do have enough sense to not want to hurt anybody. The last time I came across horseback riders sharing the trail I took a break for a few minutes with the bike off so they could get clear. That was on one of the Shenandoah 500 rides and everybody did that. It isn't rocket science - even well trained horses spook easily. Why risk hurting somebody needlessly? With any luck Karma, if not the law, will catch up to the rider who did that and administer some much needed justice.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #74
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Yeah you are. Over and over you're pretty much saying "I'm not defending the guy BUT..."

Completely different. They didn't report any trouble while riding NEAR the road. But a motorcyclist crossed the double yellow to pass numerous stopped cars, charged towards the horses and skimmed by in close proximity. If that's not what he did, let's hear him step up and explain his side of it.

For those who are saying how he might not have seen that there were horses, BULLSHIT. Horses, especially with riders on them are TALL, how do you not see them? And if there was a line of stopped cars, do you just ride around them over a double yellow with no awareness or concerns about "why are these cars stopped?" If he was really so stupid and arrogant and unaware as to do this, well then I suppose once he DOES see there are horses, we couldn't expect him to stop then either? Nope, this is on the motorcyclist all the way.

And did you read the part where a DIFFERENT horse rider (not the one injured here who didn't want to be identified) said she'd had a similar incident with a motorcyclist a few days earlier? Sounds like the guy's system for getting by a whole bunch of stopped cages at once!

I am as annoyed as anyone with people who will take horses out to ride on roads (we have a lot of dirt roads here), and then want all passing traffic to stop for them because they and their horse can't handle it. But this is different. The horses were being ridden on a designated horse trail, which crosses the road at this spot. Everybody else stopped to let them by, why couldn't the motorcyclist wait like the car drivers did? Especially as he was behind numerous cars that had stopped.

Motorcyclist was a prick, that's all there is to it.

I grew up around horses and my point is that the horse riders have a responsibility also, and many of them around here completely disregard it, as has been said by several folks here: A lot of the horse owners in this area are self-important, elitist, and entitled pricks. If I owned a horse who I was not 100% sure was okay around traffic I sure as hell would not be taking it on trail rides that cross a major road.

I had a confrontation with one of these self important pricks on a fire road a couple of months ago, I saw them coming, stopped, turned off the bike and took a break so they could pass safely. When they got to me one of them felt the need to attempt to chew my ass for being there at all, something to the effect of "You should not be riding on this road, you clearly saw the horse trailer at the end of the road so you knew we were here." Basically they felt that their trailer parked at the end of the road meant that it was now reserved for them..... This kind of attitude does nothing to garner any good will with those they share the roads and trails with.

That being said the motorcycle rider in question in this is a complete asshat and deserves what he has coming.
Navy Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #75
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
When I heavily involved with OHRV education for the state of NH, we would get information from the equestrian folks about how to approach horses....What amazed me was that on an OHRV trail (mainatined by OHRV reg money) the equestrians wanted us to stop wait for the horse to pass then when the horse was far enough away proceed....I didn't get this...if you bring a horse out to where it will encounter motor vehicles it had better be under the full control of the rider....

Certainly do not go out of your way to spook the animal but responsibility to control the animal lies with the rider. The asshat in the article obviously had an issue with horses...around here I have come around a corner only to find a pile of horse shit waiting to drop be....but that's another issue....