Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #61
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,230
Richard is having a torrid trip over. Weather has been terrible and this week doesn't look much better.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:47 AM   #62
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,981
where he be at,hasnt had any more bike trouble i hope.
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #63
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 882
Going up to Wannaroo Showgrounds Thursday from 4-7 pm to see the Safari Show.
Good chance to see some fine bikes.
Half tempted to ride up to Jurien Friday morning to watch some action. After pouring thru the orfishall website this is the best I could find as far as a callender goes.
Anyone got a more accurate idea of whats happening where and when? What time they kick off at Jurien Friday?
Cheers.

Documentation Continues
AUTO Scrutiny Commences
Thursday 19 September 2013Showgrounds
Safari Show Thursday 19 September 2013
Competitors Briefing Thursday 19 September 2013
Ceremonial Start (Jurien Bay) Friday 20 September 2013
Prologue, transport to Geraldton &, overnight in
Northampton
Friday 20 September 2013
Leg 1, overnight in Kalbarri Saturday 21 September 2013
Leg 2, overnight in Gascoyne Junction Sunday 22 September 2013
Leg 3, overnight in Gascoyne Junction Monday 23 September 2013
Leg 4, overnight at Carnarvon Tuesday 24 September 2013
Leg 5 overnight at Carnarvon Wednesday 25 September 2013
Leg 6, overnight at Kalbarri Thursday 26 September 2013
Leg 7, overnight in Geraldton Friday 27 September 2013
Ceremonial Finish, Geraldton Friday 27 September 2013
Prize Presentation Party, Geraldton
Old 09-16-2013, 02:32 AM   #64
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbikedude View Post
where he be at,hasnt had any more bike trouble i hope.
Intown sorting tyres.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #65
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,019
Good luck to everyone racing.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #66
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Richards SPOT

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/g...TS1kJ2idkEzIjo

bully1 screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 03:04 PM
Old 09-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #67
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by bully1 View Post
What a maze!! Will he ever make the start??

tehdutchie screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 03:47 PM
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #68
Jock71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Have a couple of mates, Sam and Max #50 on a sidecar doing this year give em a wave and some encouragement if you see them Cheers
Jock71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #69
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock71 View Post
Have a couple of mates, Sam and Max #50 on a sidecar doing this year give em a wave and some encouragement if you see them Cheers

It'll be interesting to see how they go vs the bikes and quads, they were pretty impressive at condo before their oil line blew.
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #70
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock71 View Post
:awesome <--
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #71
Chaddy08
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Wicked

Good luck to all the competitors in this years safari, will be watching this page over the next 10 or so days for all the info. Cant wait for the safari show with all the bling bikes, especially the lone DRZ in the pack
Chaddy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #72
nry

Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1968 View Post
It'll be interesting to see how they go vs the bikes and quads, they were pretty impressive at condo before their oil line blew.
And spectacular, they certainly give it a red hot go.
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #73
Sundowner
Total Cahn

Oddometer: 3,595
Been a fair journey to get here, but the smile across my face is permanent now. A huge thankyou to all the crew at the Super Tenere Network whose dedication to these old Super Tenere 750's has helped me produce a bike that I'm hopeful will go the distance. Cheers guys.
The ADVrider network is also a stunning thing. A huge thankyou to Bully and OzBikeDude, without whom, I'd have had a hell of a time getting here and being set to go.
Had a late start out of Adelaide as I did a last minute welding job on the sidestand to extend it 40mm to help with the lifted suspension. The bike had no headlights, so when I got to Pt Augusta I headed straight around to Northern Motorcycles to buy a H4 globe to put ion some night riding and make up for lost time. I actually found the fault with the HID's - a bad earth due to the freshly painted front subframe, so I had decent lights again. Pushed through until about 11pm and called it a night 200km short of Ceduna at a place called Wudina. Grabbed a motel room there to defrost, as the whole ride was freezing with patches of mist the whole way and isolated rain showers. I had to wear my Leatt neck brace and lightweight rally jacket (not in any way remotely warm or even shower-proof), so I was just about hypothermic by the time I stopped each day as the neck brace funnel air down my chest. On the second day, I reached Ceduna to be met on the road by OzBikeDude. On pulling up at the Servo to refuel, we got to chatting as it'd been over 12 months since doing a ride to Finke together with a handfull of other ADVer's (G'day Matty, Tony, Gra and Greg ). While standing there, I just about had kittens when I saw a puddle of milky oil dripping from the airbox pipe under the bike. I thought I'd probably blown the head gasket, so a trip to Aub's shed soon had the bike stripped down to check everything. This put a real spanner in my time schedule but the bike came away with a clean bill of health - I put the milky emulsion down to the damp night air entering the hot airbox area, followed by a foggy ride across to Ceduna that morning with the engine sitting on 5000rpm most of the way. The engine misting oil combined with the damp air made for a mild heartattack. I thought my Safari was over after weeks of solid bike prep.
Anyway, on reassembling the bike and slinging the heavy bag of spares, swag, tank bag and tank panniers back on her, like a tired camel, she had a lay down. The sidestand had snapped at the top, which is a common problem for the S10's, even though I'd checked it that morning. Luckily I'd had the pressence of mind to throw myself under the bike, to save the new bodywork. Aub and his lad soon helped with getting it upright, where we dragged it unto the centre stand and set about sorting the broken side-stand. A quick trip to Aub's workplace and I had the Mig onto the broken bits. About 1.30 pm I set off, across the hot Nullabor into a strong sun and hot northerly breeze. Sat on 110 the whole way but started falling asleep at the bars, most probably from slight dehydration. About 30 km before Nullabor Roadhouse the weather swung to a beautiful cool, strong side/tail breeze. Made life a lot easier. Kept motoring until dinner at Border Village. By now I was frozen again, as isolated thunderstorms kept dumping on and around me. After dinner, I donned a garbage bag under my jacket and set off again, to try for Norsman. About 130km out from the border, I came to the edge of a huge thunderstorm that I'd been seeing light up the night sky for the past two hundred kilometres. Just on reaching the edge of the rain band, I found a bush track and a campsite, lit a fire and was soon asleep resting against my rolled up swag. I was woken later to heavy rain. Before I could get everything set up or covered, the swag and sleeping bag were saturated. I crawled into the wet bag and soon found sleep. The rain pounded down heavily all night until early morn. I woke late to an overcast sky and set to spreading everything out to dry. Just as I'd gotten this done, I spotted rain coming across the plains towards me. Scrambling to pack, I struggled to roll the sleeping bag and swag before it was sodden again. Bugger.
Anyway, I rolled again west and about 100km later reached the latest storm area, this one just a grey mass from the heavens to the plains. The bike started to aquaplane on the bitumen, so I backed it down and ran between the streams of water flowing down the truck wheel ruts. While rolling along, I was surprised by a Road Train rig overtaking me still doing his 105km/hr. The ensuing wave of water thrust up by his tyres blinded me and set me off into a sodden riverlet close to his passing trailers. I feathered the brakes and prayed I'd stay upright. Anyway, by some miracle I survived the firehose effect and the aquaplaning slides. About 2 kilometres up the road, it was dry again. I overtook the bastard, barely waving to him as I did so. By the time I reached the next roadhouse, my fear had turned to anger. I stopped to refuel. He didn't.
Rolling on, I made it to Norseman before dark and then pushed onwards to a little place called Yellowdine Roadhouse. It was late and I made use of a $50 atco cabin.
Next day, I trundled through the beautiful woodlands and wheat paddocks to the east of Perth before finally dropping down into the city to search for rally tyres.
Bully and his lovely wife generously offered me a garage to fit the tyres and HD tubes (actually Bully fitted the tyres/tubes while I learnt a new trick or two), fiddle with the brakes, swap to foam XT1200Z airfilters and also feed me and give me a bed for the night. GuzziMike also came over, which was brilliant as I hadn't seen him in years. And the beer I'd been so looking forward to after two months off them tasted like liquid magic.
So that's a little update for you rally tragics. Stay tuned and I'll try to post more from inside the Safari circus as the other clowns gather around the waiting lions.
Enjoy. For me, this is a chance to fulfill a long term dream, so I definitely will.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:20 AM   #74
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
What time they kick off at Jurien Friday?
Looks like the Prologue kicks off at 10am.

I've got a copy of the itinerary that I can email if you want it, but it has no info on locations just start/finish times.
Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:52 AM   #75
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,981
good to see you made it richard,hope all goes well for you and the blue streak.keep us in the loop.
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote