Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
They still check, but with a temperature gun thingy.
Technology is great... I use one of those to set my track bike tire pressure now. Over 175... add air, under... let some out ! (It's more complicated than that, but this is the jist of my program :)

With an IR gun who needs a tire pressure guage?
AJay112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1KSOLO View Post
$700 for 15 mins. of fame cheap "priceless"
I thought I throw this in for some humor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-tr0pVynJs
I'm pretty sure I actually dated the "little sister" back in the day.

Yeah, the entry fee is the issue with the 115% of best in division. If you don't make it, you can pack up or write a second check and race the "Exhibition" powersports class.

Roughing out the altitude calculations... I'm good to go but the KLR is going to be eeking out 26HP at the top... ouch! Trying to figure out if old age and treachery through the twisties can make up for a 65mph top speed.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJay112 View Post
I'm pretty sure I actually dated the "little sister" back in the day.

Yeah, the entry fee is the issue with the 115% of best in division. If you don't make it, you can pack up or write a second check and race the "Exhibition" powersports class.

Roughing out the altitude calculations... I'm good to go but the KLR is going to be eeking out 26HP at the top... ouch! Trying to figure out if old age and treachery through the twisties can make up for a 65mph top speed.

Wouldn't a 705 piston give you the extra margin you're looking for, or are you trying to stay stock?
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #19
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
Wouldn't a 705 piston give you the extra margin you're looking for, or are you trying to stay stock?
"Stock appearing" is all.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #20
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
"Stock appearing" is all.
Give this a thought then. http://store.schnitzracing.com/schni...wasaki-klr650/
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
Cactus Dave
Born to Argue

Oddometer: 688
I'm loathe to discourage anyone from racing PPIHC. It is a great event, run by great folks, with great participants. However, I don't think the KLR idea will be well received - either by the race committee or most competitors.

The race is a huge commitment of time, effort and money. Preparations start well in advance; I've started planning my next BSA 750 effort for 2014. Registration opens in less than 2 months and closes by year end. The entry fee is considerable (outrageous by some measures). Every competitor I've encountered in 4 years running the event has been a serious racer, determined to do his/her best with their respective machinery on a very challenging, difficult, dangerous-at-speed course. No one takes the event as a lark. We all laugh and have fun during the week of the event - it is part of what makes the event so great. But, the racing is serious stuff, involving serious kit and some of the best riders/racers in the world.

A KLR650 would run in the 750 class. Those boys and girls are seriously fast. And, there is little room for error at those speeds on the Mountain. I raced a SV650 in that class in 2011 (there was still a dirt section then), and I decided that class and the modern stuff on the Mountain, particularly now that it is all paved, was too fast for me. So, I'm back to the Vintage class which has some seriously fast guys on seriously well prepared machines. Tires, jetting, suspension, gearing and a host of other aspects must be addressed and all mitigate in favor of something other than a 30 hp dual sport mule. I suspect that whatever KLR you would show up on would not be a proper race-prepared machine, but rather something cobbled together to arguably/ostensibly conform to the rule book. Trying to push a KLR650 to make the show in the 750 class would be absolutely scary (dangerous?) - regardless of who was riding it.

My suggestion: If you want to race PPIHC, then race it, on an appropriate machine, properly prepared, with the goal of doing your best, being safe, having fun and challenging yourself on America's mountain. There are plenty of ways to arrange for a ride on a proper bike. Please come and join us - again, it is a great event with great, wonderful folks and from my perspective, the more folks who enter, the better the event. But, as romantic, hairball or "cool" as the idea of riding across the USA on your KLR650 and showing up for PPIHC and "racing" PPIHC may seem, I urge you to let the KLR650-at-the-Peak concept remain an over-beers or on-the-web conversation piece.

I hope you take my suggestion in the proper spirit.

Cheers,

Dave
Cactus Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #22
KaylaMyer
n00b

Oddometer: 7
This racing is really freaking out, you need to have some good skills and madness to attempt this race.
KaylaMyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #23
B1KSOLO
1 down 4 up right?

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaMyer View Post
This racing is really freaking out, you need to have some good skills and madness to attempt this race.
This was a buddy of mine PP ride in 08, watch to whole vid, this guy is a ISDE 6 day vet, great racer and having a bad day!!!!
Peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Z3veKrSjI
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #24
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1KSOLO View Post
This was a buddy of mine PP ride in 08, watch to whole vid, this guy is a ISDE 6 day vet, great racer and having a bad day!!!!
Peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Z3veKrSjI
If that's the corner I think it is, then that's the same spot 3 riders and a car crashed this year. Pretty bad corner..

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #25
B1KSOLO
1 down 4 up right?

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
If that's the corner I think it is, then that's the same spot 3 riders and a car crashed this year. Pretty bad corner..
I'm not sure of the corner, but I noticed he lost focus when I seen the go-pro look to the left a few seconds before the get off. Just to reiterate Brian a top notch rider-racer with tons of experience
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #26
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Dave View Post
I'm loathe to discourage anyone from racing PPIHC. It is a great event, run by great folks, with great participants. However, I don't think the KLR idea will be well received - either by the race committee or most competitors. (Snipped)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Dave View Post
Proper Spirit is taken and appreciated Brother !

Dave, this is the EXACT type of input I was looking for. As far as a "cobbled together" bike... no, no not at all. (my tools are Mostly Snap-On and my garage rivals a NASCAR shop for cleanliness) If there is (was) any interest with the community in seeing a KLR run as a SuMo bike, the bike was going to be a full motard effort.

The shortcomings of a bike that will weigh nearly 400lbs in race trim and MAYBE producing 26hp at the top is my concern and reason for the post.

My interest in this race is not some sort of whimsical, "hold my beer and look at me ya'll" preplanned moment in time. My well stocked, walk-in gear closet has three current model Shoei helmets on the rack (found a Feb2012 RF1100 shell on the shelf at Cyclegear for $419... BAM!!!) None of which have a Mohawk.

My interest in racing PPICH stems from the fact that I am (arguably) a normal person and normal people have PPICH on their "bucket list." (Along with Baja, Dakar, ISDE and actually finishing the Hardwood Enduro... private joke for my wife. She won her only attempt. I have among other calamities, fractured my sternum there and never finished.)

As far as doing it on a KLR, that is a bit different. I have ALWAYS preferred to race, "underdog" bikes. Off-road I STILL race a KDX when the rare opportunity occurs, I raced 4-strokes (VERY successfully) in the "A" classes before it was cool... my track bike is an SV. For me, wishing for a little more top-end is always faster than having too much. The KLR's reputation is well deserved... the price point suspension and controls make it what it is. Upgrading the suspension and controls makes it ENTIRELY something else. The bike's geometry (once set up) works for me in the corners. I can motard it in or put the suit on and drag a knee. But again... it will still be near 400lbs in race trim and very underpowered. (I'm not sure at this point if the head can even support what would be required to make it "Rotax" equivalent. I have been waiting on response such as yours, Dave before I tore the motor down.)

Due to my current employment, the amount of pleasure time I get in the saddle is very limited and is never anything less than a squared away effort. Please don't think I was planning on writing a check and then showing up with knobbies, a "Big Gun" exhaust (Complete with a "Powerbomb... WOOO HOO!!!) and a helmet Mohawk.

If the PPICH race community thinks this a bad idea... then it's a dead idea.

I'll wait 3 years (next available time window for me) and build a vintage bike. (Anyone got an Ironhead lying around for cheap? I'll give it a good home and only ride it on Sundays )
Old 09-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #27
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,850
Quote:

If the PPICH race community thinks this a bad idea... then it's a dead idea.
A couple persons involved with PPIHC have informed you its a bad idea, how many do you need to scrap it?
My response wasn't as elaborate as CD response, but the jist was the same. The PPIHC racers take the racing seriously on the mountain, you want to cross off a bucket list item.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #28
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
A couple persons involved with PPIHC have informed you its a bad idea, how many do you need to scrap it?
My response wasn't as elaborate as CD response, but the jist was the same. The PPIHC racers take the racing seriously on the mountain, you want to cross off a bucket list item.
Okay.. A couple of quick comments. It's been determined that the PPICH Commission thinks it’s a bad idea... it's now a dead idea.

Second... Not everyone that races multi-discipline speed events does them on a prepared track. I logged over 3000 miles last year in competition riding a CRM250. I won every time I hit the kick starter. I have no trophies from last season... the fact that I did not sustain a single gunshot wound or died in an Improvised Explosive Devise detonation is my reward.

I don't like you and I will smash your nuts on any track of your choosing... Ignore this thread. Our (mine and yours) discussion is now closed. Go away... you are not worth my time. I race motorcycles for a living; it's truly a death race for me. GO THE F AWAY!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #29
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Sorry... Should have read, "PPIHC." My sight picture drifts when I have to take that life saving snap shot.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #30
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,518
I don't see what the problem is. Lots of people told me a Harley was a terrible choice for PPIHC, yet I set records several times on a Harley and have several 1st place trophies. Every person who gets to the finish will have done a better job than all the DNF's (I have one of those too). If a KLR gets to the finish, which there is no reason to believe it would not, then it's a better choice than many others have made. Lots of top racers don't get to the top every time. Some make serious mistakes on the way up. It's only unsafe if you ride over your head (riding beyond what you can see or remember is riding over your head). If you have a reasonable amount of race experience, you should do fine, and have a blast doing it. GO FOR IT!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote