Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #31
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I don't see what the problem is. Lots of people told me a Harley was a terrible choice for PPIHC, yet I set records several times on a Harley and have several 1st place trophies.
Yeah H-Dub it would seem that simple... but it's not. Anytime "KLR" and "PPIHC" get mentioned in the same thread, God kills one of the Unser grandchildren.

I'm just glad that ASShat stepped in before I did any more damage to that poor family.
AJay112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #32
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I don't see what the problem is. Lots of people told me a Harley was a terrible choice for PPIHC, yet I set records several times on a Harley and have several 1st place trophies. Every person who gets to the finish will have done a better job than all the DNF's. If a KLR gets to the finish, which there is no reason to believe it would not, then it's a better choice than many others have made. If you have a reasonable amount of race experience, you should do fine, and have a blast doing it. GO FOR IT!
H-Dub...
Some unexpected traction was gained today. The quote for the motard conversion came in almost a grand under what was planned for. I contacted an industry guy that, "knows a guy" and support may be available for this.

Some old friends that have actually ridden with me are expressing interest.

Most of all... my lovely wife, the "Rebster" who has a strict "no surrender" policy read this thread through last night and advised me this evening, "I think you need to do this."

Challenges: I'm VERY quickly headed over-seas (AGAIN.) The missez can pull the bike apart for me and ship parts to be ported, drilled and massaged but she will not be reassembling the bike. Once I return, I will have six weeks to assemble the bike and do some track days for tuning.

Advantages: I'm not on a, "race bike" so I can show up a week early and memorize the course while on the (completely street legal) bike, posing as a tourist in my Draggin Jeans and Joe-Rocket ballistic jacket... never mind the knee pucks mister officer !

PS My "back-up" effort will be racing my stock geometry Sporster drag bike. Turns out, stiffened up to launch hard makes it goes around corners rather well :)

AJay112 screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 05:41 PM
Old 09-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #33
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,368
Let me know if you'll need a hand.. I'll gladly be on the team!

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #34
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
Let me know if you'll need a hand.. I'll gladly be on the team!
If my overbearing employer (The US DOD) actually lets this happen (the deciding factor)... You're hired my fellow "Underdog bike" Brother !

Do you accept Natural Light as payment or should I rethink my reimbursement methods ? I have no 401K or medical plan currently available. My "Race Team" director is an accomplished mechanic and would probably be willing to do an oil or plug change for you as compensation however. He's been known to do a top-end job trackside... but that would be a biggie.

EDIT: We work for the same guy... BIP it Brother !
Old 09-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #35
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,368
Haha, I'm in for free!

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #36
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeod View Post
haha, i'm in for free!
'Murica !
Old 09-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #37
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Truth or dare time... Request sent.

Yes from PPIHC commission means I ask the Dark Overlord (my employer) for permission... if I get that "go ahead" a bunch of checks for parts get written Monday :)

Leathers are clean, fingers are crossed.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #38
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Shine on you crazy diamond!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #39
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
Shine on you crazy diamond!
Brother... you have NO idea LOL.

There is SO much about myself I can not share on, "Open Forum" or Social Media. I'm the guy who has the garage you want to hang out in... as long as it's not in your neighborhood
Old 09-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #40
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJay112 View Post
Truth or dare time... Request sent.

Yes from PPIHC commission means I ask the Dark Overlord (my employer) for permission... if I get that "go ahead" a bunch of checks for parts get written Monday :)

Leathers are clean, fingers are crossed.
Are you going to run a revalved stock suspension or do you have an aftermarket? If you have someone that's going to port your head, the 705 piston that Schnitz Racing carries is a great deal. They may even divest their porting specs that Cary Aspy developed before he passed away. Your race effort would be a great marketing platform for them (I have no connection). Just sold my 2008 KLR a couple of weeks ago. It had the Ricor suspension in the rear and their cartridge emulators up front, made a night and day difference in how the bike handle on and off-road.

Wishing you the best of luck in hearing back from the commission.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #41
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,240
So you come in here asking advise, then when people suggest it's a bad idea, you ignore them and then start insulting people and raving on how awesome you are...

Isn't the internet wonderful.
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:35 AM   #42
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
So you come in here asking advise, then when people suggest it's a bad idea, you ignore them and then start insulting people and raving on how awesome you are...

Isn't the internet wonderful.
Yeah that's pretty much it. You're on the right race team, by-the way.

I wasn't polling to see if a KLR can beat a 'Strada... I asked if there was any interest in seeing a KLR race the hill. I'll go ahead and place your reply with Asshat's.

AJay112 screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 02:45 AM
Old 09-13-2013, 02:40 AM   #43
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
Are you going to run a revalved stock suspension or do you have an aftermarket? If you have someone that's going to port your head, the 705 piston that Schnitz Racing carries is a great deal. They may even divest their porting specs that Cary Aspy developed before he passed away. Your race effort would be a great marketing platform for them (I have no connection). Just sold my 2008 KLR a couple of weeks ago. It had the Ricor suspension in the rear and their cartridge emulators up front, made a night and day difference in how the bike handle on and off-road.

Wishing you the best of luck in hearing back from the commission.

- Ken
Hey Ken, the rear is aftermarket. The front is currently just resprung without emulators. I played with the oil height and weight and it is MUCH better, (actually it's pretty darn good.)

With the motard conversion being cheaper than budgeted, I have been looking at that porting with the 705 kit.

AJay112 screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 02:46 AM
Old 09-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #44
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,240
I think you have the wrong forum.

JM is in the basement.

You should enjoy it there.
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #45
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
I think you have the wrong forum.

JM is in the basement.

You should enjoy it there.
Lighten up... stick around and have some fun! In real life I'm actually a very nice person, maybe a little off balance... but fun to ride with none-the-less.