ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
6USMC6 OP
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,554
Northgern Virginia Travel Problems

Dulles Toll Road Crap

Mods: Before you move this to the basement - read it all. It isn't just a rant, it is useful information that could save any inmate who rides or drives the Dulles Toll Road - and potentially any toll road that is connected with vaezpass - a lot of money and grief.

On the 15th of August I received a Violation Notice from vaezpass. It alleged that I had passed a toll booth without paying on the 19th of July.

First, note the dates. I didn't get the notice until the 15th of August and it had to be paid on the 19th. I have no idea when this notice was mailed - it was undated - I didn't receive it until the 15th of August. On the morning of 10 July I had a doctor's appointment at 1000 in Reston. I threw 4 quarters into the basket - witnessed - and when the light didn't change, I threw an additional .50 in the basket. I then pulled up, got the attention of the woman running the one, staffed booth, pointed at the non-working light and she motioned me through. At that point I figured that the coin pickup in the basket was broken. How do I remember this exact date? I had a medical appointment, they're tax deductible, I keep track of them.

As soon as I got the letter I called vaezpass and spoke to Domonique and I was told that I could contest the violation via email. I did so, via email, only to watch it bounce at 00:59 Saturday morning and then on Monday (only to find out on Monday the 19th - from Robin - that I had been given the wrong email address by Domonique (va.ezpass.com). Correct email address is customerservice@zepassva.com . If they give you anything else, they are either lying, or they are stupid. Robin then pushed me off on Brendon and I went through everything I'd told Robin - again - who admits that there may have been a problem getting the violation but that was essentially tough shit. They are now claiming that it was an ezpass only lane (BULLSHIT - it was the far left lane which is an Exact change lane). And just out of curiosity WHAT F'ing DIFFERENCE DOES THAT MAKE !!!! THE TOLL WAS PAYED !!!!!!

With Brandon on the phone I sent the contesting letter several times. He admitted that he got it (but sent from my other address). When I ask about the fine doubling He says: "don't worry, they won't do anything until they receive my contesting letter". He said that it will take 3 to 5 days for them to review it. When I ask him for specifics hes says that I should call on Friday the 23rd or Monday the 26th).

On Friday the 23rd, I get a letter, dated the 20th, doubling the fine -

Which means they lied to me twice - on tape.

When I asked them what I was supposed to do when I came up to a toll light that wouldn't work - I got no answer.

When I prompted "should I just sit there and wait" - I got no answer

So, if you use the Dulles Toll Road (or any other toll road controlled by ezpassva) and no matter how much money you throw into the basket the light stays RED, you're screwed.

You have no recourse, witnesses are useless (remember, I had a witness) and unless you've filmed everything, all of it, the sign on the lane showing that it's an exact change lane, the money in your hand, the money going into the basket, the RED light that never seems to change, all of it, you pay the fine.

And if the Post Office screws up or you're out of town or you're in the hospital and you don't get the letter and pay their extortion in a "timely manner", You guessed it, the fine doubles and you're screwed.

I'll never travel on any ezpass road in Virginia again. And in my case, they'll loose several hundred dollars a year. If anyone else wants to pile on, complain about defective toll booth change collection baskets, lights the never turn green here's their (correct !) address customerservice@ezpassva.com and a telephone number 1-877-762-7824 option 3 that someone occasionally answers.

I will never use any of their facilities again. If you do, you're asking for it.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,186
I feel your pain. I just had a 'go round' with EZPass in MD.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
I always set mr. Zumo on NO TOLLS. One time I didn't and it cost me almost $20 to get to west Virginia.

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
6USMC6 OP
R.I.P. Party Boss

Then get even. Don't ever line their pockets again.

You ever get out there and don't know how to get around it - call me. I'll route you around anything they have.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 09-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
6USMC6 OP
R.I.P. Party Boss

I figured I'd had more response. Must mean that no one else has a problem with the ba$tard$.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 09-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
I figured I'd had more response. Must mean that no one else has a problem with the ba$tard$.
"How does E-ZPASS work?

E-ZPass is the easiest way to use toll roads in Virginia and 14 other states. It's an electronic toll collection system that automatically deducts tolls from your prepaid account. All you have to do is attach the E-ZPass transponder to your vehicle's windshield and you'll have access to all toll lanes, including E-ZPass Only lanes as well as Express Lanes that don't require you to stop at all. You can easily maintain your account online, over the phone or in person at one of our customer service centers."

http://www.ezpassva.com/EZPages/About.aspx

can move it from the cage to the bike. go from here to Maine with it

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
6USMC6 OP
R.I.P. Party Boss

I know how it works.

Since I only use it 2 to 4 times a month it isn't worth it.

And after this screwing?

I wouldn't give them the sweat off my balls - let alone a credit card number and the ability to track me wherever I am.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67

6USMC6 screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 10:01 AM
Old 09-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,892
On the Coleman Bridge if your fast toll or easy pass does not register they take a picture of your license plate and match it to your account. When I crossed and would get nabbed I would stop at the office each time and they would say I paid. I was always afraid I would be in a situation like you. I did learn I had to have a separate transponder for motorcycles. Once I got that I had less non paid signs from the Nanny State. Oh no it is a private company.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #9
Dynamick
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oddometer: 4,022
I pad my travel times to avoid tolls.
Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
6USMC6 OP
R.I.P. Party Boss

It can be extremely difficult to control travel times on I66, Rt28 and Rt286. However after this screwing, I'll never use an ezpass road again.

I'm not sure where you get "privately owned". All toll enforcement is done by VDOT and traffic enforcement is federal.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67