User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
riderIN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Indy-NJ/NYC/-TPAT 9days solo

This is the first of its kind: ride and riport as well.
As soon as I learned that I have to go to New York City/Manhattan/ for a short business trip,I knew I'll make it a motorcytcle trip.
Started planning to ride in New York State,but stumbled into the TPAT/Trans Pennsylvania Trail/ file,which is 5 days of good riding made up by locals plus many extra routes to extend your ride in their beautiful state.
The starting date was coming quick/well it was dragging at work/ bike and myself fully prepd.
Route was made with backroads only, all the way to NJ.

Day1
Set out on Friday the 23rd of August at 12:30PM.

Had some stops planned on the first day to break up the boring flatland of Indiana.
First stop was at the Hoosier Gym in Knightstown.Only stopped for a pic,but this is the place where the movie Hoosiers was filmed.

Than I headed to the Birthplace of Wilbur Wright which is by Hagerstown,IN.
It is laying far away from everything in between cornfields/soy is the new corn I know/,so I didn't expect much.

What a nice surprise!!!It is a very nice place rich in history,and lots of interesting stuff.Time travel for sure.

After imagining how they lived there and what he/them/ accomplished,it was time for me to get back to reality and go on with my journey.
Next stop was Hoosier Hill Indiana's highest point.

No surprise here it was still a flatland only at 1257 feet above sea level.After signing the registry book I was ready to cross into Ohio.
A new state to ride in for me.Rolled thru the hills, landscape changed a bit corn-soy-meadow.
I made the route on Google map, tried to take the most interesting looking roads on the screen.
Nice and curvy,still missed at least a bit of gravel.I passed several gravel sideroads,but had to go on as sun was going down.And out of nowhere I rolled onto a short section of gravel road,with a big smile on my face and a loud YEEHAW under my helmet.
Soon after I reached my first camping spot,near Columbus,OH.

By now you should've figured out that my hobby is riding motorcycles not photography!/215.9 miles for today/
riderIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
riderIN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

2nd day

The morning was already hot and humid.My first stop was a german Kaffehouse,from there I headed to the AMA Motorcycle Museum in Picerington,OH,which was only a few miles away.
They open at 9AM,and being a Saturday I was still surprised to see nobody in the parking lot.

Even the door was locked,but somebody quicly opened it and said they were open.AMAzing!!!That's all I can say.There is everyhing.Old racers,movie bikes modern record setting bikes.......

I spent an hour and a half blazing thru,wish somebody who could tell me more about those old bikes was with me.
Still when I left only saw a young couple coming in.
Anyway long way ahead.Kept rolling over each hill.I was impressed how good of a roads I picked.
At Zanesville I crossed the world famous Y-Bridge.

This is the only bridge where after crossing you could still be on the same side of the river.
Rode along the beautiful Senecaville Lake.

Adventurous people live everywhere.This is somewhere in OH.

For a few miles I rode in to WV,than PA.
More forests here with nice sweepers.No traffic and seems the little towns streched out farther from each other.

At 7PM I reached my campground north of Somerset,PA./note the miles are total not daily/
Old 09-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
riderIN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

3rd day

Got up early,repacking the camp gear went faster now.I had to ride only 20 minutes to reach the Flight 93 National Memorial.

I visited Ground Zero in 2002 so I tought I have to see this too.Well I guess I'm getting older.I never thought about it this way and just understood what happened on that day.
Amazing how pieceful are those hills,nothing but the howling wind,and all of a sudden a low flying commercial airplane......
Those civilians sacrificed their lives to save others,and to kill those .......
WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Many cars were already there,2 couple on Harley's,and a bigger group coming in when I was leaving.I tought nobody will be around Sunday morning at 9AM.
I left the place little shaken,and there is nothing better for a mental break than a good riding.And right off the bat I got it as I turned East on US30 Lincoln Highway.

Later at Macungie I ran into a wall of hot rod cars as they were leaving the August Rod Run.
I had a long way to go,so not much adventure for me this day.
I just changed the oil before the trip!

Arrived to NJ,and I still rode nice roads,but closer to the Big Apple it changed quickly.
Nice looking neighborhoods one after another,big city traffic more houses,some place the air was infested with the smell of curry.
My original plan was to camp somewhere and ride into Manhattan Monday morning.I kept following the "NYC commuter" thread on this forum for ideas what to expect.
And I changed my mind.Period.I don't want to be pulled out of traffic just because I ride a motorcycle.There are videos about it.They'll take your key,make your bike push up the road....,somebody even got a ticket for not having his full face helmet's shield closed.
So I got me a room in a Hotel,close to a train station and the next morning I went there on a train.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
riderIN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

4yh day

This is a different world.I guess you have to born here to understand it.
Exploring on foot:))))

Did a really short visit to this place,I was more excited about riding.
Got back to my bike in a record time.Just like first lovers,that 7 hours that I spent without it seemed forever.
Unfortunately for me by this time I had a severe headache.Still went East,had to go to the shore of the Atlantic Ocean.
Sandy Hook Bay.

I wanted to explore,even see a place where I could,ve take the bike all the way down to the Ocean,but felt very sick.
Medicated myself with painkillers,but pain didn't go away.
Turned back west,went to the starting point of TPAT.Campsite owner owns a KLR himself,they gave me a nice and quiet site to relax.
More medicine,a good night sleep and I'll be alright.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
riderIN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

5th day

It rained overnight,so got up to a humid mess,and headache.More medicine,this is where the fun starts,can't quit now.
As I was ready to leave the owner rolled in on his KLR asking which way I was going?.I was so not myself,didn't really feel like chit-chat and we went different directions anyway.
The route took me through easy but beautiful paved,dirt and gravel road.

I had to entertain myself,so played games.Figured I'll try to jump with the bike on the first day.
One of the first dirt section had many humps,perfect for a jump.Checked.
I missed one turn and ended up in somebody's soyfield.

There was a section marked as a rough stone road about 5 miles long and a little bit of a grade to it.Tower Rd.
This is it?

As i was thinking about going for it by myself with a loaded KLR,explored the area a little bit more.Found more trails,sure locals come out and play here.As it turned out that was not Tower road.
This was!One guy drove a Dakota on it:)))

Many place to explore!

Nice creekside break spot.

Random shots

Covered Bridge

Still don't need an oil change,but sure hungry for some snacks

Rolled in to the night's camp,took long hot shower,more medicine,some hot wings and sleep.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
riderIN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

6th day

Rained again this night,morning was very foggy and a light headache.Packed the wet campgear the second day in a row,more medicine,and off I went.

This day's game was make a picture of myself riding.Ok,but my camera has only 10 secs timer.
First try.The bike was too far.

Second try.Good enough for me.

Also did some shots and video while riding with camera in hand/poor men;s GoPro/ but don't worth showing.
Optional route with creek crossing.With the rain it is still low.

PA Grand Canyon was also part of today's ride.Just as I got here started raining.
Motorcycle parking Niiiice!

Gorgeous!

Lookout Tower.Wet and foggy!

Bambi!

Roads were wet but still easy to ride on.

Pulled out for many vistas,and interesting stopping points.

Liked this section.

And the other side of the guardrail.

Pine Hill Summit

Really nice pine trees

Today I realized my phone charger can't take the vibration of the KLR.Anyway I had to ride 15 miles from today's camp to the top of the hill to get signal.
Battery was low.Tomorrow's game will be a hunt for a charger.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
riderIN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

7th day

Woke up to a beautiful morning,headache gone,Life is good!
The rear light was not working on the bike,so had to look for a car parts store as well.
I was deep into the forest this day,roads were really nice,mostly gravel and dirt,lots of elevation changes,switchbacks....

I always keep my eyes open for interesting roads.I saw a nice uphill "road" to my left.

Slowed down,but kept going.Should've taken it,but all by myself......
Not long later I arrived to the top part of that "road".Ok,I didn't come this far to not do anything stupid.Went back down to starting point and made it up to the top with no problem.

Later arrived to this sign.

Today just getting better,I thought.
Well with all the rain in the past couple of days this 4-5 miles section was a mudfest.Had to work real hard to keep it upright,hardest part of the whole ride.
The beggining was fun.

Made it without dropping bike.
Later rolled into a town,where I found a car parts store.

And Radioshack,where they didn't have cellphone charger.Why would they sell it if there is no service.Make sense.
Kept my eyes open all the time to scan the forest for wild animals.
Black bear was on top of my wishlist,but I had no luck.
Wild animal kinda sorta.

Than I rolled into a nice place to take break.
Elk viewing area.
Took a 20 minutes break,couldn't see no Elk,just this black and red one.

A couple from Virginia rolled in and they told me,thet they've been in PA many times and never seen an Elk.
Off we went into the same direction.Few hundred feet later he pulls down to the side of the road and pointed forward.I thought he let me pass,but he kept pointing.
This is why.

Watched them for a few minutes till they wandered into the forest.
Kept finding nice break areas off the road.

It was a perfect day!

Old 09-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
riderIN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

8th day

This day I was still mostly in the forests,but arrived into amish country.Lots of buggies,nice farms,hard working people they are.
I missed a turn,and this is why.The road not even on my GPS.

Meadows and forest.

I saw this sign turned around and without thinking I went around the gate./that's how you go on the trails/

Not even 10 minutes and I was sweating like whore in the church.This is not for a loaded KLR with a rider who dressed for public roads./ATGATT/

Before the single track get real tight I turned around.I don't know how long is this trail,but defenetly worth a try.
There was a rough section ahead of me.It was similar to the beginning of the dual sport trail,only wider,and some sand on it..
Went to the top of the hill.Nice and quiet.

Wondered around and found a better way to get of the top of the hill.

Back on track,same hill different view.

At this point I started to miss my Family.There were still two day left as I planned:part of TPAT,and to get home thru MD,WV,OH.
After setting up camp started to look up on the map my options.I was far from home still,and didn't come to leave unfinished business behind.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
riderIN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

9th day

Woke up early get packed quick and set my mind on finishing TPAT by noon and evaluate from there.
Riding fast today I missed out on a whole lot of adventure,would've stopped for fresh donuts at an amish farm sold by amish girls,but I set my mind to make it home today.
This day's roads were a nice mixture of curvy pavement and gravel.Sure that white gravel? is slick,I almost laid it down twice,of course speed was a factor too.
On the whole ride I've seen 2!!!!!! motorcycles in the forest,one guy was on a big KTM today.
I made it to the Gas station at Shippensburg 11:30 AM.Home was about 600 miles according to the GPS all on slab.There was about 20 miles left of today's route.
I decided to head Home on the slab.Long ride,boring.
It was very wlecoming indeed.

By Indy was a storm ahead and to the South of me.Nice lightning show on the sky and I thought it is a firework show for me to come home.And as I get closer a real firework show was lighting up the sky.
Made it home safe and sound,dry,tired but happy!!!!

Old 09-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
opjocephus
I'm down, I'm down!

Oddometer: 518
Looks like you had a good time

Looking forward to the rest.
"Man, there's nothing worse than watching a mouth breather trying to smoke a cigarette." jdrocks
opjocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
SixWatt
kicker of elves

Oddometer: 137
Thumb Well done!

Nice ride and report!!
SixWatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
zamboni9
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Well done!
-Tyler
zamboni9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,723
Great report Gabor. Thanks for taking us along.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
hilljak
Hayseed

Oddometer: 363
Fine looking trip Gabor! So glad you posted it.

Looks like you have a little ADV'er in the making, maybe in a year or two she will be ready to ride along with you on the HNF!

Proving I'm an idiot without ever speaking...
hilljak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
Kevinj110
पवित्र गाय

Oddometer: 553
Thanks for posting man was awesome to look at and read.
Kevinj110 is online now   Reply With Quote