Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #16
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,096
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I'm off on the ride tomorrow!
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #17
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Sadly the trip became a bust. Reserved bike was unavailable. Rental company offered a different style of bike and a very well used one at that - more than 60,000 miles and 6 or 7 years old at the same price or a much lower spec bike at the same price.

Currently trying to get a refund, flew back to the States already. Pretty angry and a bit disenchanted with the UK, London in particular. Will probably do a reboot in the Spring.

When is the best time to start in the spring with similar weather to mid September? May?

Thanks all
Old 09-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 186
What a mess. Thats what you may expect at a Delhi Enfield shop in Karol bagh, but not in the UK. Hopefully you sue the hell ( means all your trip cost) out of this guy.

Weatherwise you need more luck in spring, I would suggest May, though April could hav nice days, too. Def. not earlier since you still have a high risk of frost/snow.

Sent from my IBM Simon using morse
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #19
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
... Pretty angry and a bit disenchanted with the UK, London in particular...
I'm not surprised. Which rental company?
Wildman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #20
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
I'm not surprised. Which rental company?
Ill update when the final decision is made by my credit card company.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #21
Montford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Might be worth giving this company a try for next time.

http://www.highlandmotorcyclehire.co.uk/our-bikes/

Fly into Glasgow and take the train to Inverness.

Cuts out a lot of boring motorway riding if you just wanted to do Scotland.
Montford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #22
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Sadly the trip became a bust. Reserved bike was unavailable. Rental company offered a different style of bike and a very well used one at that - more than 60,000 miles and 6 or 7 years old at the same price or a much lower spec bike at the same price.

Currently trying to get a refund, flew back to the States already. Pretty angry and a bit disenchanted with the UK, London in particular. Will probably do a reboot in the Spring.

When is the best time to start in the spring with similar weather to mid September? May?

Thanks all
Sorry to hear that - hope you make it back in the future and get to take a good look around the UK.

Might be worth posting up here when you are making plans - plenty of UK guys who might be able to help with rental recommendations, hotels or even just places to meet fellow riders for a bite to eat and a coffee or a beer.

Please don't let your experience of the rental company reflect too badly on the UK in general - the natives over here can be OK and are even known to be friendly from time to time !

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #23
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Thanks for the words of encouragement. This will not prevent me from returning to the UK however I will likely not go through London next time.

My uncle, by marriage, was born to a Scottish immigrant to the US. He is visiting Scotland for the first time next year. I may tag along then. His father sailed over on the Lusitania on its last voyage, it was sunk on the way back by the Germans.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #24
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
the uk is terrible.

As someone else said fly into Glasgow and leave the south of England alone. If you want peace and nice roads then Scotland is the place to do it, England is too densely populated as is Glasgow and Edinburgh, when you get out of town you can relax and enjoy.
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
chammyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #25
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by chammyman View Post
the uk is terrible.

As someone else said fly into Glasgow and leave the south of England alone. If you want peace and nice roads then Scotland is the place to do it, England is too densely populated as is Glasgow and Edinburgh, when you get out of town you can relax and enjoy.
Aye that's aboot the size ae it
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #26
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motor...dom-__134.html
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #27
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

My Bank and Visa were no help.

This is unfortunate.

The merchant was Raceways.net

I would recommend avoiding use of their services.

Unfriendly and unhelpful staff, poor quality of bikes and unwillingness to make good on their promises. Owner Greg Holland chose not to be helpful.

Such is life.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #28
M1tch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Sorry to hear about that. The hire company should really refund you any costs you incurred, but if they are as bad as you say I guess nothing will happen.

Hopefully it won't put you off trying again. Don't assume either that London is England.. it's about the last place I would want to ride a bike.

There a plenty of roads around the UK that are great for touring, a lot of the coast can be amazing scenery. It's also true that the further north you go it's quieter, but then the temperature drops as well. Down my way it's barely worth riding in the summer due to the tourists unless you get up at 4 am.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #29
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
Sorry to hear about that. The hire company should really refund you any costs you incurred, but if they are as bad as you say I guess nothing will happen.

Hopefully it won't put you off trying again. Don't assume either that London is England.. it's about the last place I would want to ride a bike.

There a plenty of roads around the UK that are great for touring, a lot of the coast can be amazing scenery. It's also true that the further north you go it's quieter, but then the temperature drops as well. Down my way it's barely worth riding in the summer due to the tourists unless you get up at 4 am.
I'm planning on either going through Dublin or Madrid and hopping a Ferry next time. Unless someone can recommend a good London based rental place.

The only remedy I have is to close out my VISA branded cards and accounts at my bank Wells Fargo. Mostly an empty gesture but even large organizations operate on stats. enough people don't like their dispute process/decisions and they may change it.

I plan on only using my AMEX for any motorcycle hire in the future.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #30
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
I'm planning on either going through Dublin or Madrid and hopping a Ferry next time. Unless someone can recommend a good London based rental place.

The only remedy I have is to close out my VISA branded cards and accounts at my bank Wells Fargo. Mostly an empty gesture but even large organizations operate on stats. enough people don't like their dispute process/decisions and they may change it.

I plan on only using my AMEX for any motorcycle hire in the future.
If you are flying in via Ireland would a Lisburn (Northern Ireland) rental location be any help ?

http://www.phillipmccallen.co.uk/bike-hire

Could always tie in one of the big Irish road races and the riding in Ireland is supposed to be good (as is the Guinness). The Isle of Man (home of the TT Races or the Classic TT) is only a short ferry ride from Belfast as is Scotland .....................

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote