User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #46
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer: 255
send any inquiries to me brendongallant@gmail.com

We're revamping the website and email system this winter to help alleviate lost messages.
Facebook! facebook.com/themotorcycleshopak
Brendon@TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #47
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon@TMS View Post

We're revamping the website and email system this winter to help alleviate lost messages.
I haven't looked at the TMS website in a while. Would be good to see a much more updated site.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #48
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,302
Quote:
Incoming!
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #49
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
I haven't looked at the TMS website in a while. Would be good to see a much more updated site.
Ha, don't bother. Unless you want a flashback to 2005. The current site is a thorn in my side, to be removed this winter.

Tom-got your email, will respond there.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #50
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Thanks for being there TMS and Alaska Leather

I consider myself a typical consumer, and since I'm tied to BMW parts by choice, because of my bike

Helmet, gloves, Gerbings I'll go to Alaska Leather.

The best thing is to stay away from any store that uses UPS. I was going to get a pannier decal from Tourtech in Seattle, price of decal was $23.00 shipping to Wasilla was $ 26.00 I didn't get it.

Even though a retail outlet will tell you free shipping someone is paying for it.

The easest thing to do is jack the price up and then take 10-15% off and the customer is happy as a clam

And I wouldn't bother with a website as it just drive your costs up

You guys are playing with a limited customer base, to appease a couple guys it's not worth it

Again thanks for being here

Bob

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #51
AK650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
"Originally Posted by legion

I've seen a buddy of mine charged $7 for a screw."

For a screw, seven bucks is unbelievable cheap;to the point of making one a bit suspicious. You'd be hard pressed to get a good handjob for $7, let alone a screw. Was this in Spenard, or Mt. View? :)

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #52
BARB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRescue View Post
Thanks for the numbers and 1st hand insight. I'm not necessarily trying to be argumentative, just trying to wrap my mind around this.

Let's split the difference and call it 5%. I still can't justify spending any percent buying locally. What's the benefit? Having it right now? It seems that most people's experience is that it needs to be ordered anyways.

Some of the examples you gave were from before the internet existed. Now that we have an instantaneous global economy, maybe the low volume brick and mortar's will have to reinvent their business model to compete?
I was quoting out of the second paragraph of this post. It just didn't show up right. This is a topic you don't even want to get me started on. Barb
Old 09-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #53
BARB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Thanks Tommy
Old 09-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #54
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARB View Post
Thanks Tommy
Yeah, ok, Barbie.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #55
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post
For a screw, seven bucks is unbelievable cheap;to the point of making one a bit suspicious. You'd be hard pressed to get a good handjob for $7, let alone a screw. Was this in Spenard, or Mt. View? :)
From the expression on my buddy's face at the time he apparently thought it was a fairly intimate penetration, too.

I don't recall much by way of specifics other than that it was fairly unpleasant to watch. The screw was for an LT and not something you'd find at Home Despot and the event took place prior to Brendon's coming on board just to site a benchmark.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #56
AK650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
From the expression on my buddy's face at the time he apparently thought it was a fairly intimate penetration, too.

I don't recall much by way of specifics other than that it was fairly unpleasant to watch. The screw was for an LT and not something you'd find at Home Despot and the event took place prior to Brendon's coming on board just to site a benchmark.
Figgered it was something like that. Merely interjecting some sophomoric humor to lighten the mood.....this thread has turned a bit testy! :)

That said. For unusual screw needs, the folks at Fasteners & Fire Equipment, are great!

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #57
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Brandon beat the price on some LH 10x1.25 nuts for the mirror on my GS I thought for sure it would have been just like your friends screw. He did beat the price that Lowes had them for.

He didn't them in stock but I got them in 3 days.
But because I didn't have any patience paid top doller at the big box store.

I bought a tank bag from him this last spring, has Tourtech enblazoned on the side of it. Got for about the same price as listed on Tourtechs website.

They must get a special shipping price

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #58
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

I get a reduced shipping rate with TT, and I reflect that in our "charges over TT's site" as a way to split the costs.

Bottom line, I live here with you guys, and I ride the same roads you do. So do my employees, that's why I hire the people I do (David, Thomas, Andrew, Kenny). We're all part of the team, Team Ak, and we aren't out to screw anyone. More, we're here to equip each other to the gills to take on the AK ADV riding!

As far as an $7 "screw" goes. BMW, or whomever the manufacture was, invests a hell of a lot of money in the engineering of said motorcycle. I'm sure said "screw" had a special head, or bore, or length, that let it not be replaced with a fastener from Home Depot. Sorry BMW wanted $7, that's what they tell me to charge, and that's where the bargaining starts...

Just so everyone is aware, parts, accessories, and apparel are three separate businesses. We're trying our best to take on all three but it is quite the challenge. Barb and AK Leather have, for the most part, focused on apparel. That leaves me with the other two which are quite broad in spectrum when you take into account the fact that each of my 7 brands are releasing new product, and people always want the different way to protect their bike, thus leading to 5 different engine guards for whichever GS you choose.

Point being, we stock and support the stuff we feel will hold up to the AK riding season. I don't want to spend someone else's money on something that's going to crap out.

This coming from a guy who owns two mid 90's Ducati's. Supposedly the most unreliable motorcycles made...(they run fantastic FYI, come by the shop and take one for a spin if you like)

At the end of the say we're very happy we have customers such as all of you to discuss things like this and know that our customers are aware of our situation (we're in freakin' AK!).

And Barb, figured you meant that. It's funny, small business makes up how much of the US's economy? And with that stat, his mindset would destroy small business, thus drive the US economy down. Interesting...
Old 09-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #59
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,559
Quote:
his mindset would destroy small business, thus drive the US economy down. Interesting...

No businessman (or woman) is altruistic and none of them care what happens to the economy or anyone else's business as a result of their own actions. We all consider it a win when we thrash a competitor. Thrashing an economy in the spirit of winning would be just another win.

For the record, the future of business is greater volume and lower margins. An example of that is in Real Estate. Here in AK for example and in most other parts of the US the commission on a real estate sale is 6% for improved land and 10% for raw land.

Not in Hawaii.

Here's an example and it's coming our way. So is any other competitive advantage that comes from embracing the net.

http://www.oahure.com/seller.php
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #60
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
For the record, the future of business is greater volume and lower margins.
Pretty broad statement. Perhaps for the larger manufacturing companies but the smaller brick and mortars should be able to sustain a halfway decent (read: living wage) margin, especially as transportation costs rise.

There are many, many factors for one to consider when talking macroeconomic trends. Large run, low margin models may work, especially when adopting a "lean" business model (Toyota), however, the assumption is your shipping costs are relatively low. As they rise (peak oil, lack of readily available biofuels), you will revert back to a "stocking" business model.

As transport costs rise perhaps a biofuel that can be substituted into our current infrastructure may help alleviate the transportation industry, but that's many years in the future (hopefully not though).

At the end of the day regardless of trends, we try to fill our shop with likable and knowledgeable characters to make all of you feel better about shopping locally;)