User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
67siia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Fuse box

Thinking of installing a fuse box to wire accessories. I like this one: http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/5...per-fuse-block

One question: would I still need to install a relay to the accessory, say fog lights
67siia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
I think it depends on if you want the fuse box always powered, or only powered when (fill in the blank) happens.

Fill in the blank can be: low beam on (ie engine running), or key on, or high beam engaged, or...

Those scenarios will determine where you tap the relay trigger wire into. If you want it always powered on, simply hook the relay power wire to the red terminal (+) and the ground wire to the black terminal (-).

I used a relay triggered by the engine running. I tapped into the yellow wire under the left side panel (left side as you sit on the bike). The wire is the power to the low beam...that only comes on when the engine is started. I hid the relay behind one of the small, black side covers that use one screw to hold in place. There are pics in a thread somewhere if you need.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
intr1gue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Check out the Fuzeblock...

You're going to face two challenges as you go through the "personal growth" process of mounting all manner of electrical geegaw on your F800GS: 1) to relay or not to relay, and 2) where the eff does all this crap go on this bike with very little room for extra crap inside the panels?

My chosen solution for this was the Fuzeblock. It's a skosh larger than the TT offering, a skosh SMALLER than the Centech, the relay is part of the unit (no extra wiring to add automatic on/off with key) and you can choose which circuits are switched and which are always on (I have lights, heat, and GPS switched, and charging inside the tankbag as always on...works great).

Highly recommended. Durably designed, easy to stow, flexible for growth and updates.

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-314-fuzeblock.aspx

full disclosure: Best Rest is owned by a friend, but he's a good egg and he's a solid rider (and an F800GSer to boot!). I'll still recommend him and his business; he does good work and designs great stuff.
intr1gue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,013
Not a whole ton of room to mount fuse blocks. My last one was this one:

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

My next bikes will be getting the PDM60
Old 09-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Pangit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I second fuzeblock and mount it on top of your air cleaner housing. Second choice with similar location would be Eastern Beaver PC-8.
Pangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangit View Post
I second fuzeblock and mount it on top of your air cleaner housing. Second choice with similar location would be Eastern Beaver PC-8.
+3.

There is one absolutely amazing alternative fuse block in the works, but it'll probably be while before it's available:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827565
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
fosters2
It is what it is

Oddometer: 197
Have had multiple fuzeblocks over the course of owning a number of bikes. Great product, however they are a last-gen design.

The PDM60 by Rowe Electronics is the next-gen product. Solid state, waterproof (which means it can be mounted anywhere) and is fully programmable (delay start, delay shut-off). I have this installed and swear by it.
IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Pangit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosters2 View Post
Have had multiple fuzeblocks over the course of owning a number of bikes. Great product, however they are a last-gen design.

The PDM60 by Rowe Electronics is the next-gen product. Solid state, waterproof (which means it can be mounted anywhere) and is fully programmable (delay start, delay shut-off). I have this installed and swear by it.
Sorry to rain on your parade but often next-gen means next problem. The F800 is already a complex electrical bike. For my money I would stay simple if I could. The current Fuzeblock has a built in relay. If it goes bad then you can move your essential "switched" services to direct connection (move fuse position) to restore them till you reach home.

My 10 cent.
Pangit is offline   Reply With Quote