ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #166
GAwoody83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Barrow county, the city of Winder.

GPS Coordinates of Courthouse Main Entrance: 33°59.537N, 83°43.284W

Street Address: 30 N. Broad St., Winder, GA 30680
Date Built:1920
Architectural Style: Neoclassical Revival
Designer: J.J. Baldwin

County History:On July 7, 1914, a joint resolution of the General Assembly was approved proposing a constitutional amendment to create Barrow County from portions of Gwinnett, Jackson, and Walton counties (Ga. Laws 1914, p. 27). On Nov. 3, 1914, Georgia voters approved the constitutional amendment, making Barrow Georgia's 149th county. Reportedly, the new county was created because although downtown Winder was located in Walton County, its city boundaries extended into Gwinnett and Jackson counties, meaning Winder residents were divided among three different counties. As a result, local citizens petitioned the General Assembly to create a new county with Winder as county seat in the center. The new county was named after David C. Barrow, who was then chancellor of the University of Georgia.
Why was Barrow County created by constitutional amendment instead of an act of the General Assembly? In 1904, Georgia voters had approved a constitutional amendment limiting the number of counties in the state to 145. The next year, the General Assembly created eight new counties, bringing the total number to 145 -- the constitutional limit. Nevertheless, there was continuing pressure to create more counties. Beginning in 1906, lawmakers got around the 145-county limitation by creating new counties through constitutional amendments that were not subject to the limitation. By 1924, Georgia had 161 counties -- 16 of which had been created by constitutional amendment. On Jan. 1, 1932, Milton and Campbell counties merged with Fulton, leaving 159 counties. In 1945, Georgia voters ratified a new constitution -- one which provided an absolute limit of 159 counties, with an additional provision (see text) that no new country could be created except through consolidation of existing counties.

GAwoody83 screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 05:50 PM
GAwoody83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #167
kneeslider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Thumb Habersham County has a new Court House

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVic View Post
Habersham County - Clarkesville, GA

Date Built: 1964

Architectural Style: Modern

Designer: David Cuttino, Jr.

Other Information: Habersham County's first courthouse was a small wooden structure built in 1821 in the town square of Clarkesville. In 1832, this building was moved to the side of the square (where it became a bank), and its place a new two-story brick courthouse of simple design was constructed . This building served until 1898, when it was damaged by a mysterious explosion. That same year, the old courthouse was torn down and a large two-story brick courthouse with clock tower constructed in its place. In 1963, this courthouse was torn down, and Habersham's fourth and current courthouse was built the following year in an adjacent block. A combination bell tower/elevator was added to the front of the courthouse in 1983.

County History: Habersham County was created on Dec. 15, 1818, by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1818, p. 27). That legislation also created Gwinnett and Hall counties -- all from lands ceded by the Cherokee Indians on July 8, 1817 in the Treaty of the Cherokee Agency. Additional Cherokee lands were ceded to Georgia on Feb. 27, 1819 in the Treaty of Washington, and in an act of Dec. 21, 1819, the legislature added some of ceded land to the western portions of Habersham and Hall counties (Ga. Laws 1819, p. 23). Remaining unallocated Cherokee lands ceded in 1817 and 1819 were added to Habersham and other Georgia counties in 1828 and 1829 (Ga. Laws 1828, p. 88 and Ga. Laws 1829, p. 98). (Later, portions of Habersham County were used to create the following counties: Cherokee (1831), Lumpkin (1832), White (1857), Banks (1858), and Stephens (1905).

Georgia's 46th county was named for Joseph Habersham (1751-1815) of Savannah. Habersham was a leader in the independence movement in Georgia prior to the American Revolution.After the war, Habersham served as U.S. Postmaster General (1795-1801). Prior to his death, Habersham built a summer home near present-day Clarkesville. When the area became a county in 1818, it was named in honor of the famous Georgia political figure.

County Seat: On Nov. 26, 1823, the General Assembly enacted legislation designating directing "parts of lots number two and nineteen, in the tenth and twelfth districts in said county, at a place now known and called by the name of Clarkesville" as the permanent county seat of Habersham County (Ga. Laws 1823, p. 176). The same legislation incorporated the county seat as a village. Clarkesville began as a small settlement sometime prior to 1820 and took on its name during the administration of Gov. John C. Clark (1819-1823). Clark (1776-1832) was the son of Gen. Elijah Clarke, for whom Clarke County was named.
Please come back & take an updated picture. The new building is significantly better looking the the brick & cement ugly box shown here.

Ping me here & when you come I'll buy you a cup of coffee at Java Joe's!
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #168
jub jub OP
Banned

Oddometer: 13,374
Hey kneeslider, would it be possible for you to take a couple of pics and email them to either GAvic or myself. Habersham is quite a ride for us since we live in Warner Robins.

You're right about the courthouse in the pic being ugly. First thing I thought when I saw it.
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #169
GAVic
Largely unnoticed

Oddometer: 759
Everything I find shows that as the current courthouse. Where is this new one located?
GAVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #170
GAwoody83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185

L
ocation:
Downtown Watkinsville, Ga.
GPS Coordinates of Courthouse Main Entrance: 33°51.835N, 83°224.533W
Street Address: 23 N. Main St., Watkinsville, Ga. 30677
Date Built:1939
Architectural Style: Stripped Classical
Designer: William J.J. Chase

Information: There were two courthouses in Watkinsville, built in 1806 and 1849, when it served as seat of government for Clarke County. When Oconee County was created in 1875, Watkinsville was designated county seat. A new courthouse was built that same year. The current brick courthouse, built by the Project Works Administration, was completed in 1939 and has undergone several renovations since, the latest being in 1998, when a courthouse addition also was constructed at the rear of the 1939 structure. Also in the 1990s, a county government annex was built on Ga. 15 just south of Watkinsville.

GAwoody83 screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 07:40 PM
GAwoody83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #171
jub jub OP
Banned

GAwoody getting her done!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #172
jub jub OP
Banned

Mike, don't know if you want to include this in the Habersham post or not. Not a bad looking building and worthy of showcasing.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #173
kneeslider
Studly Adventurer

This building looks even better today

Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post

Mike, don't know if you want to include this in the Habersham post or not. Not a bad looking building and worthy of showcasing.
come check it out, eat in one of Clarkesville's great restaurants. Like pizza, stop by the Copper Pot on Grant Street. Copper Pot has some of the best pizzas I have had anywhere.

No to pizza? The Hog Wild just down the road is Hog Wild, try it you'll like it!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #174
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post
come check it out, eat in one of Clarkesville's great restaurants. Like pizza, stop by the Copper Pot on Grant Street. Copper Pot has some of the best pizzas I have had anywhere.

No to pizza? The Hog Wild just down the road is Hog Wild, try it you'll like it!
Mmmm, Hog Wild

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #175
jub jub OP
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post

That does sound good! Next time I'm up that way I'll try one of your eateries!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #176
GAVic
Largely unnoticed

Elbert County- Elberton, GA

Date Built: 1894

Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival

Designer: Reuben H. Hunt

Other Information: In January 1791, one month after Elbert County's creation, the plantation home of T.A. Carter served as courtroom for the county's first superior court. What served as the county's courthouse for the next nine years is not known but in 1800, Elbert County's first courthouse -- a two-story wooden building -- was constructed. A new two-story brick courthouse was built around 1853, serving Elbert County for the next forty years. By 1893, however, the structure was being criticized in the local newspaper on a number of counts–including its condition and location. A movement for a new courthouse began that year, and on May 3, 1894, ceremonies were held for the dedication of the cornerstone of a new courthouse. By this time, Elbert had an active granite industry, and granite was incorporated into the new structure. The building's interior was extensively renovated in 1964. For decades, the brick exterior of the courthouse was painted white. In the early 2000s, the exterior brick was repainted red to resemble the original appearance.

County History: Elbert County was created from Wilkes County on Dec. 10, 1790 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1790, p. 10). Georgia's 13th county was named for Gen. Samuel Elbert, who commanded Continental forces in Georgia during the American Revolution and subsequently served as govenor (1785-86).

Portions of Elbert County were used to help create Madison County (1811) and Hart County (1853).

County Seat: What was first known as Elbertville was designated county seat in 1790 and later incorporated by the legislature on Dec. 10, 1803, as Elberton.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #177
GAVic
Largely unnoticed

Oglethorpe County - Lexington, GA

Date Built: 1887

Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival

Designer: L.B. Wheeler, W.H. Parkins, and H.I. Kimball

Other Information: Oglethorpe County's first courthouse is somewhat of a mystery. One source says that soon after the county's creation, the settlement of Philomath was designated county seat, and that here the first courthouse was built. Another source, however, says that the first courthouse was a log structure built on the Salem Road near present-day Lexington, and that this building was moved to Lexington in 1800. In 1806, the legislature designated Lexington as county seat. What served as courthouse from 1806 to 1887 is not known, although a volume on the history of Oglethorpe County states that the courthouse during this period was located just northwest of the present courthouse. In 1887, a new courthouse was built in Lexington of local brick, granite, and timber. The most distinctive feature of courthouse is the clock tower with open areas that frames the entrance to the building. The clock in the tower reportedly weighs 1000 pounds. In preparation for the 1993 celebration of Oglethorpe County's bicentennial, the courthouse was remodeled in 1992-93.

County History: Oglethorpe County was created from Wilkes County on Dec. 19, 1793 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1793, p. 10). Georgia's 17th county was named for Georgia founder James Oglethorpe, who died in England in 1785.

Portions of Oglethorpe County were used to create Madison County (1811) and Taliaferro County (1825).

County Seat: Lexington [named for Massachusetts village where the first battle in American Revolution was fought in 1775]. The 1793 act creating Oglethorpe County named commissioners to select a site that would serve as county seat. The act further authorized the judges of the inferior court to levy a tax not exceeding 250 pounds and contract for the building of a courthouse and jail. What happened next is unclear. One source says that the settlement of Philomath [then known as Woodstock] was designated county seat, and that Oglethorpe's first courthouse was built here. However, an account of the history of Oglethorpe County states that the first courthouse was built of logs and located on the Salem Road, and that this structure was moved to Lexington in 1800. The date of Lexington's original settlement is not clear. What is known is that the General Assembly incorporated Lexington and designated it county seat in an act approved on Nov. 24, 1806.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #178
GAVic
Largely unnoticed

Green county - Greensboro GA

Date Built: 1848-49

Architectural Style: Greek Revival

Designer: David Demarest

Other Information: Greene County's first courthouse--a wooden structure--burned during an Indian attack on Greensboro in 1787. It is not known what served as courthouse for the next 60 years, but construction of a new brick courthouse for the county was completed in 1849. Built by Atharates Atkinson, this probably is Georgia's best known example of Greek Revival architectural style. At the time of its construction, the top floor was reserved for use as a Masonic Lodge, a function still served today. In 1938, the courthouse was remodeled.

County History: Greene County was created from Washington County on Feb. 3, 1786 by an act of the General Assembly (Marbury and Crawford's Digest, p. 162). Georgia's 11th county was named for Revolutionary War hero Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene. A few months earlier, Greene and wife Catharine had taken residence near Savannah at the Mulberry Plantation, which was a gift from the Georgia legislature in appreciation for his victorious campaign against British forces in the southern theater of war. Unfortunately, on June 19, 1786, General Greene died from overexposure to the Georgia sun.

Portions of Greene County were used to help create Taliaferro County in 1825. Additionally, areas of Greene County were transferred to Oglethorpe, Clark and Taliaferro counties between 1794 and 1877.

County Seat: Greensboro [originally spelled Greensborough and named for Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene]. Settled in 1780s, designated county seat by the General Assembly in 1787, desginated permanent county seat in 1802, incorporated Dec. 10, 1803.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #179
jub jub OP
Banned

Thanks Mike for getting those. I was on my way out yesterday when I noticed I had cord showing on the front tire. I didn't realize it was so worn and only 7k miles on it.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #180
kneeslider
Studly Adventurer

Tire eating roads

Quote:
Thanks Mike for getting those. I was on my way out yesterday when I noticed I had cord showing on the front tire. I didn't realize it was so worn and only 7k miles on it.
Georgia tire eating roads due to the granite asphalt mix. Lit riding on 60 grit sandpaper!