ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #181
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post
Georgia tire eating roads due to the granite asphalt mix. Lit riding on 60 grit sandpaper!
I was getting 2000 miles out of the rear on the KLR sidecar.

Of course it wasn't ridden to maximize tire wear either.....

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #182
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 13,343
I think the tires were a pretty soft compound. They stuck like glue when new.

I'll be taking it down to the local shop so she can get some new shoes!
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #183
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
I was getting 2000 miles out of the rear on the KLR sidecar.

Of course it wasn't ridden to maximize tire wear either.....
Never seen a KLR hack, got any pics?
Old 11-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #184
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
Never seen a KLR hack, got any pics?
Here is the ride report where I rode it back from Texas.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692936

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #185
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Here is the ride report where I rode it back from Texas.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692936
That was a great ride report! You have a great writing style and kept it interesting! Sorry about your
Bearing problems but it seems you have good ol southern ingenuity and was able to get her home!

Your observation about Texas style BBQ is spot on! A jalapeño does a BBQ make!

Do you do March Moto Madness? I'm thinking about doing it next year. I was there this year but for some reason it was all a blur. I would actually like to do some riding this time!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #186
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Ready to go riding again!

Looks like a lot of progress has been made on the county courthouse hunt while I was waiting for my seat to be returned from Russell. It's back now and I want to go courthouse hunting this weekend but that may have to wait since I plan on hitting the motorcycle show in Atlanta Saturday and forecast shows 50% chance of rain on Sunday. Might see if I can dodge the rain.....

About another 53 counties or so to go....
Old 11-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #187
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmons View Post
Looks like a lot of progress has been made on the county courthouse hunt while I was waiting for my seat to be returned from Russell. It's back now and I want to go courthouse hunting this weekend but that may have to wait since I plan on hitting the motorcycle show in Atlanta Saturday and forecast shows 50% chance of rain on Sunday. Might see if I can dodge the rain.....

About another 53 counties or so to go....
Sounds like fun. Unfortunately, this Saturday I have a car club meeting and we're electing officers so I need to be there and I think we're having a dinner cruise afterwards.

Let me know how you like the Russell seat. Hope it's everything your bum would want in a motorcycle seat.

The bike is getting new rubber as we speak. I went with Shinko 009 tires because of the price and the good reviews. They are a slightly harder rubber designed more for touring and long distance riding. I got 7K miles out of the OEM Bridgestones which is not good, to me anyway.

Anyway, glad to have you back on board Travis!
Old 11-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #188
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Coffee County, Douglas GA

Date Built: 1940

Architectural Style: Stripped Classical

Designer: William J.J. Chase

Coffee County's first courthouse -- a simple structure built of logs -- was erected sometime between 1855 and 1858. In 1889, this courthouse was replaced by another log structure, which burned in 1898. The county contracted for a more substantial courthouse -- a large two-story brick building with clock tower completed in 1900. This structure burned in 1938 and was replaced the present two-story brick courthouse, which was completed in 1940. In 1991, a large addition was constructed as part of a renovation of the courthouse.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #189
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Bacon County, Alma GA

Date Built: 1919

Architectural Style: Neoclassical Revival

Designer: J.J. Baldwin

It is not known what served as Bacon County courthouse for the four years after its creation in 1914. In any event, a two-story brick courthouse was completed in 1919 and still serves today.

The proposed constitutional amendment creating Bacon County designated Alma as county seat. Alma was first settled around 1900 following the building of a train station on a new east-to-west branch railroad that was built through southern Appling County and northern Pierce County to allow rail access to Brunswick and Savannah without having to go through Waycross. Within a few years, though the exact date is not known, community leaders applied to the Appling County superior court and received a charter of incorporation as the town of Alma. Apparently, there were legal questions about this approach to municipal incorporation, so legislation subsequently was introduced in the Georgia General Assembly to re-incorporate Alma with a legislative, rather than judicial, charter. On Aug. 21, 1906, that act was approved. As to the origin of the name of the town, Kenneth Krakow records that while local residents were searching for a name for their new community, a visiting salesman from Macon suggested the first name of his wife, Alma Sheridan. An alternative -- though less credible -- explanation was offered by Bernice McCullar. In her 1972 volume This Is Your Georgia, she wrote that Alma was a coined word created from the first letter of the last four state capitals of Georgia -- Augusta, Louisville, Milledgeville, and Atlanta. If, however, the town name was meant to be an acronym of Georgia capital cities, why was Savannah -- the state's first capital -- excluded? McCullar offered no explanation, and it may be that this was but one of the many anecdotal and undocumented accounts in her popularized account of Georgia history.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #190
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Pierce County, Blackshear GA

Date Built: 1902

Designer: J.W. Golucke

The legislation creating Pierce County provided that until a county seat was selected and a courthouse built, county courts would be conducted at the house of Mrs. Nancy Stewart. In 1858, a courthouse was built in Blackshear -- but this structure burned in 1875. That same year, a new courthouse was built at the location of the present courthouse. This building was torn down and replaced by the current courthouse in 1902 . The building was remodeled in the 1970s, with a rear addition constructed in 1975.

Georgia's 120th county was named for Pres. Franklin Pierce (1804-1869), whose term as fourteenth president had ended earlier that year.

Portions of Pierce County were used to create Bacon County (1914) and Brantley County (1920).
Old 11-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #191
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Appling County, Baxley GA

Date Built: 1907-08

Designer: H.L. Lewman

In 1819, the General Assembly authorized the first justices of Appling County's inferior court to select a site for erection of public buildings, purchase a lot, and contract for construction of a courthouse and jail (Ga. Laws 1819, p. 65). The legislation also provided that until a courthouse was built, county courts were to meet at the house of John Johnson. In 1820, the legislature named five courthouse and jail commissioners with authority to select the county seat and provide for a courthouse. Until a courthouse was built, county elections and business were to be conducted at the house of a Mr. Tomlison. In 1821, three years after the Appling County's creation, the General Assembly authorized the county's inferior court to levy a local tax to finance construction of a courthouse. However, no action was taken--as the courthouse commissioners could not agree on the location of the county seat. In 1824, the General Assembly returned the authority to select a county seat and build a courthouse to the justices of Appling County's inferior court. Until this was done, the house of William Carter, Jr. was to serve as the temporary courthouse. However, it was not until 1828 that the legislature designated that Appling County's courthouse and other public buildings would be located on the land lot where Solomon Kennady [as the name was spelled] lived-- a site the legislature named Holmesville. Here, a wooden courthouse was built, though it reportedly burned in the 1850s. A second courthouse was subsequently built in Holmesville. In an 1872 referendum, Appling County residents voted to move the county seat to a more central location. Work began on a new wooden courthouse in Baxley in 1873, and the legislature passed a law directing the county ordinary (probate judge) to sell the old courthouse in Holmesville and use the proceeds to complete the new courthouse. This courthouse continued in use until the present courthouse was completed in 1908.

Appling County was created by an act of the General Assembly approved Dec. 15, 1818 (Ga. Laws 1818, p. 27). Georgia's 42nd county was created from Creek lands ceded in the Treaty of Fort Jackson (1814) and the Treaty of the Creek Agency (1818). The county was named for Col. Daniel Appling (1787-1815), Georgia's most noted hero of the War of 1812. In 1824, the legislature created Ware County from Appling County. Also, portions of Appling County were used to create the following counties: Pierce (1857), Jeff Davis (1905), and Bacon (1914).
Old 11-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #192
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Jeff Davis County, Hazlehurst GA

Date Built: 1906-07, 1994-95

Architectural Style: Neoclassical Revival (1906-07)

Designer: W. Chamberlain & Co. (1906-07); Brittain, Thompson, Bray, Brown, Inc. (1994-95)

The Jeff Davis County courthouse was completed in 1907. The two-story building was constructed with exterior walls of concrete blocks covered in stucco. The courthouse was extensively renovated in 1975. In 1994-95, the courthouse was renovated again, with a large addition built behind and joined to the old courthouse.

Georgia's 142nd county was named for former Confederate president Jefferson Davis.

The 1905 act creating Jeff Davis County designated Hazlehurst as county seat. Hazlehurst originated around 1880 as a depot on the Macon & Brunswick Railroad located on the Appling-Coffee County line. It was named for Col. George Hazlehurst, a civil engineer who surveyed the path of the railroad through that area. On Aug. 22, 1891, the legislature incorporated Hazlehurst (Ga. Laws 1890-91, Vol. II, p. 689).
Old 11-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #193
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch

Hey Travis, you da man!

I wanted to get those today but was expecting rain. I'm such a wimp! I stayed at home and watched movies instead.

BTW, your pics are awesome!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #194
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch

Looks like they removed the clock tower not too long ago.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #195
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Its still there.....just hard to see from the 'new' front of the building...

Its still there.....just hard to see from the 'new' front of the building...

The addition looks more like the front entrance than the old front entrance. Of course the threat of rain may have made for a quick judgement on which side to photograph!