ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #241
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
that works for me..... i'm looking at a 437 mile route for saturday if i get lucky enough to go. Then it will be time for new tires. Have you used anyone other than the byron yamaha dealer for tires? any luck?

thanks
Old 02-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #242
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

is the count at 131?

i come up with only 28 counties needing to be got! sound right to you?

i'm thinking it will take close to three hours just to reach the first courthouse tomorrow!

it'll soon be time to move onto the next game....
Old 02-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #243
rascalman
GhostRider

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
Looks like my plans might change. We have a new player and he just got the tag. Hopefully he'll place the new one by tomorrow.
JubJub, as you may remember from your conversation with Big Government, I had this project in motion many years back both on film and digital. My intentions were to put them in book(album) form and present them to my Dad as a gift as he was an attorney and had been in a great many of the buildings. Unfortunately he passed away before I was able to complete the project.
I have very much enjoyed going through this thread and reliving visiting some of the same sites. I see you mention a new player has joined in, which I had intended to confirm approval to "jump in" on the party, since such a fantastic job has been done by the players already in.
I might make note about some of the remaining counties, particularly Fayette, that the "old" courthouse was in the center block of the downtown area but was broken into and set on fire in an attempt to destroy evidence. It was extinguished and repaired and the new courthouse was approved to be built in 1983 and it stands about two blocks away to the southeast.
Similarly the Spalding county courthouse burned around that same era and the new courthouse was built on the same site as the old one.
Keep up the great task and if you need any local help just holler and let me know when you start a new type game.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #244
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,851
Hmmmm, the NGA tag has been sitting and sitting up near Ellijay with all the roads frozen over or covered with chat..... I really should go over and get the western counties and the tag before all the FS gates open March 1st.....

It is just so hard for me to not head north.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #245
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
i still think what you guys have been doing is awesome. i just dont have the time to do the runs you guys managed. well. after the phone call i got this morning from the manager of my second job. seems i've been violating some labor laws by working too many hours.

looks like i'll be trimming some fat around here.

-sigh-

well. it may open up some time for travel.....
'07 GZ250 (wife)
b1pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #246
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 12,741
That's about right Travis. Can't thank you enough for getting out there and getting er done! You da man!
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #247
GAVic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Spalding County

Griffin, GA

Couldn't really get a good picture with the sun directly overhead, so I included this one.

Date Built 1985

Designer Bilbro & Spandler

The act creating Spalding County designated the town of Griffin to serve as county seat and directed the county's new inferior court to select a site for construction of the county's public buildings. Griffin was incorporated as a town on Dec. 28, 1843, while located in Pike County (Ga. Laws 1843, p. 106). Griffin was initially settled in the 1820s and was first known as Pleasant Grove. In 1840, Col. Lewis Griffin purchased 800 acres of land around the settlement. In 1841, a town was laid out and named after the area's largest land owner.

The act creating Spalding County directed that the courthouse be built in Griffin and authorized the county's inferior court to select the site. The Griffin City Hall served as Spalding County courthouse until 1859, when a two-story red brick building was completed. The steeple and clock tower were removed from the courthouse in 1910, when the building was converted into the county jail. A new two-story yellow brick courthouse, designed by A. Ten Eyck Brown,was completed in 1911. This building served until Jan. 12, 1981, when its interior was gutted by a fire believed to have started in the wiring. Though most of the records stored in the courthouse were saved, the damage was so severe that the building had to be torn down. Subsequently, the courthouse annex, which had been built across the street from the courthouse in the early 1970s, became the temporary courthouse. In the summer of 1981, contracted for the remodeling of a former A&P grocery store in Griffin for use by county courts and departments. This building served as Spalding County's temporary courthouse for four years. Meanwhile, construction of the current courthouse on the site of the former courthouse began. Construction of the current courthouse was completed in the summer of 1985, and in September, county courts and departments moved in

GAVic screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 09:55 PM
GAVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #248
GAVic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Butts County

Jackson , GA

Almost left without this. I went completely around courthouse and did not see it, it is buried inside a holly tree.

Date Built 1898

Architecture Style High Victorian Eclectic with Colonial Revival elements

Designer Bruce & Morgan

Pursuant to the act Dec. 24, 1825 act creating Butts County, the inferior court selected a site and purchased land in 1826 for laying out of a county seat. That site was ratified by the General Assembly by an act of Dec. 26, 1826, with the legislature incorporating the land purchased by the inferior court as the new town of Jackson (Ga. Laws 1826, p. 177). The town was named in honor of Andrew Jackson, who was a hero in Georgia because of his campaigns against the Creeks, and his victory over British forces at the Battle of New Orleans.

The 1825 act creating Butts County provided that county superior and inferior courts meet at the house of Jacob Holly until a courthouse could be built. In 1826, the county's new inferior court purchased land for erecting public buildings and laying out a county seat. In Dec. 1826, this site was incorporated as the town of Jackson, and a log courthouse was built. In 1827, construction began on a larger courthouse -- but this building burned before completion. A new courthouse was completed and in use prior to Feb. 1828. One report indicates that a fourth courthouse was built in 1860, but whatever courthouse was in use in 1864 was burned during Sherman's March to the Sea. In 1872, the legislature authorized Butts County to borrow up to $5,000 to build a new courthouse (Ga. Laws 1872, p. 395). The following year, the amount that could be borrowed was raised to $9,000 (Ga. Laws 1873, p. 229). Whether this legislation resulted in a new courthouse is unclear -- but it is known that the current courthouse was completed in 1898
GAVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:24 AM   #249
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Jefferson County, Louisville GA

First permanent capital of Georgia.

Jefferson County was created from Burke and Warren counties on Feb. 20, 1796 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1796, p. 7). Georgia’s 23rd county was named for former U.S. secretary of state and author of the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson.

The Feb. 20, 1796 act creating Jefferson County designated Louisville as county seat. Louisville, also Georgia's capital at the time, was named in honor of King Louis XVI of France in recognition of French assistance during the American Revolution. Thea legislature incorporated the town in 1818.

Louisville served as Georgia's third capital city, until the capital moved to Milledgeville in 1806. Between 1806 and 1816 several private residences, the Louisville Academy, and an old coffee house served as locales for conducting public business. Eventually the old state capitol building was purchased for use as the county courthouse. A new courthouse was erected on the same sight in 1848, using much of the material from the older building. The current courthouse was built on this same foundation in 1904.

tsimmons screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 07:15 AM
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #250
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Burke County, Waynesboro GA

The land that would form Burke County was ceded to the English by the Creeks in the Treaty of Savannah on May 21, 1733, confirmed and expanded by agreements of 1735 and 1736. By an act of March 15, 1758, the colonial legislature created seven parishes. With the outbreak of the American Revolution, Whig forces took control of government in Georgia. On Feb. 5, 1777, they adopted the state’s first constitution—the Constitution of 1777. Art. IV of that document transformed the existing colonial parishes into seven counties, with Indian ceded lands forming an eighth county. Burke County, which was third on the list and thus is considered Georgia’s third county, consisted of Saint George parish. The county was named for Edmund Burke, a member of the British Parliament who championed the rights of the American colonies.

On Feb. 26, 1784, the legislature designated Waynesborough as county seat of Burke County. The date of its initial settlement is not certain, but the town was named in honor of Revolutionary War hero Gen. "Mad" Anthony Wayne. Waynesboro, as the town's name was shortened to, was incorporated by the General Assembly in 1812.

According to Jordan and Puster, Burke County's first courthouse was a log cabin constructed in 1773 -- four years before the county's creation. In 1777, a new wooden courthouse was built, but it burned in 1825. A third courthouse was built in 1856, but it was destroyed that year in a fire. The present courthouse was built in 1857. It was expanded 1899-1900, with L.F. Goodrich as architect. In 1940, a Neoclassical Revival annex was completed at the rear of the courthouse. Since then, the courthouse has been completely renovated. Reportedly, it is one of the oldest brick buildings still in use in Georgia.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #251
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Richmond County, Augusta GA

The land that would form Richmond County was ceded to the English by the Creeks in the Treaty of Savannah on May 21, 1733, confirmed and expanded by agreements of 1735 and 1736. By an act of March 15, 1758, the colonial legislature created seven parishes. The area of present-day Richmond County primarily fell within St. Paul Parish. With the outbreak of the American Revolution, Whig forces took control of government in Georgia. On Feb. 5, 1777, they adopted the state’s first constitution—the Constitution of 1777. Art. IV of that document transformed the existing colonial parishes into seven counties, with Indian ceded lands forming an eighth county. Richmond County, which was second on the list and thus is considered Georgia’s second county, consisted of all of St. Paul Parish. The county was named for the third Duke of Richmond, Charles Lenox (1735-1806), who was British secretary of state and sympathetic to the cause of the American colonies.

In 1790, Columbia County was created from the northern half of Richmond County (Ga. Laws 1790, p. 9).

Founded in 1736, Augusta early became the most important population and economic center for its region. The Constitution of 1777 created Richmond and seven other new counties -- but made no provision for county seats. Nevertheless, except for the two occasions during the American Revolution when it was under British control, Augusta has served as de facto or legal county seat of Richmond County throughout the county's history. Early pressures to move the county seat to a more central location ended in 1790, when the legislature created Columbia County from the northern half of Richmond County. Named for the daughter-in-law of King George II, Augusta was given a town government by the legislature in an act of Jan. 23, 1780 and even a city charter in 1789 (Ga. Laws 1789, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 25). However, it was not officially incorporated by the General Assembly until 1798 (Ga. Laws 1798, p. 3).

In an act of Jan. 23, 1780, the Georgia legislature provided for a government for Augusta and directed the new town commissioners to build a courthouse, jail, and seminary of learning. Shortly thereafter, British forces recaptured Augusta, and no action on a courthouse was taken until after the war. In 1783, the legislature reappointed a town commission and directed to implement the 1780 plan for Augusta. Instead of building a courthouse, however, the commission in 1784 purchased a house on Bay St. and enlarged it to serve as a multi-purpose facility. Here, Richmond County's first academy opened on April 12, 1785. The building also serve as county courthouse and meeting hall for the state legislature (as Augusta was now state capital). In 1801, the city of Augusta constructed a new building on Telfair St. to serve as city hall. Known as the "Government House," this building also served as Richmond County courthouse. In 1820, a new brick courthouse with clock tower was built on Greene St. Wings were added to the courthouse in 1870, and the entire structure remodeled in 1892. In 1956, construction began on a new Augusta-Richmond County Municipal Building, with the facility completed the following year.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #252
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Columbia County, Appling GA

The Historic Columbia county courthouse.

Columbia County was created from Richmond County on Dec. 10, 1790 by the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1790, p. 9). Georgia’s 12th county was named for Christopher Columbus. Originally comprising the northern portion of Richmond County, the area initially was settled by Quakers who refused to fight in the Revolutionary War, Baptists, and others. After the war, many new settlers moved into Georgia’s backcountry - which soon led to pressure to move the county seat from Augusta to a more central and convenient location. The matter was finally resolved when the legislature decided to divide Richmond County into two counties. Shortly thereafter, the legislature created Warren County from western portions of Columbia County (Ga. Laws 1793, p. 10). In 1870, additional portions of western Columbia County were used to create McDuffie County (Ga. Laws 1870, p. 20).

The 1790 legislation creating Columbia County made no mention of a county seat or location of a courthouse. It is believed that Cobbham, a long-dead town on the Columbia-McDuffie county line, briefly served as county seat. Afterwards, the community of Kiokee (which Baptists had settled in 1772) served as county seat for a brief period. Located near the Savannah River, Kiokee was too far east for most of the county's population, so William Appling offered the county land eight miles to the southwest for building a courthouse and jail. Appling had settled in this area in 1772, and a small community had grown up. County officials accepted Appling's offer and in 1792 or 1793 built a courthouse and jail on the site, which was named Appling or Applington. On Nov. 29, 1794, the Georgia General Assembly enacted legislation designating the improved land lot as the official county seat for Columbia (Ga. Laws 1794-95, p. 14). On Dec. 12, 1816, legislation was enacted incorporating Appling as a village and setting its boundaries as a 600 x 600 yard square, with the courthouse in the middle (Ga. Laws 1816, p. 50). Since then, Appling has continued to serve as Columbia County's official county seat. However, it was not able to maintain its status as an incorporated city. As result of 1993 legislation requiring incorporated cities to provide at least three municipal services, Appling was one of 187 inactive cities in Georgia that lost its charter on June 1, 1995. By the 1970s, most of Columbia County's population growth was occurring in the eastern portion of the county near Richmond County. This led to pressure to locate county government agencies near the area where most citizens lived. In the 1980s, the county built the Columbia County Government Center in Evans, followed by the Government Complex Addition in 1994, and the new Courthouse Annex in 1999-2001. This means that almost all of Columbia County's government is now located at the government complex at Evans - which makes Evans de facto county seat of Columbia County. Never incorporated as a town, Evans was settled sometime after the Civil War (appearing on a Georgia map of 1883). It is not known for whom the community was named, though it may have been former Confederate general Clement Evans (for whom Evans County was named).

A year after Columbia County's creation, the General Assembly provided for commissioners to select the site and provide for construction of a courthouse and jail for the county (Ga. Laws 1791, p. 31). Cobbham briefly served as county seat, though it is not clear what was used as the courthouse. In 1791 or 1792, the small settlement of Kiokee (Kioka) was designated county seat, and a courthouse was built here. Around 1792, William Appling, who owned land some eight miles southwest of Kiokee, offered the county five acres on which a new courthouse and jail could be constructed. County officials accepted his offer and in 1793 erected a courthouse at the site which now bore Appling's name. In 1806, the General Assembly authorized Columbia County to levy a special tax for construction of a new courthouse (Ga. Laws 1806, p. 28), and again in 1807 (Ga. Laws 1807, p. 103). Finally, a new courthouse was completed in 1812. This structure became the core of a new courthouse built in 1856. The original solid wood doors from the earlier courthouse are still in use today. By the 1970s, the old courthouse was in a terrible state of repair. The roof leaked, paint on the walls was peeling, and the building had neither air conditioning nor central heat. Also, the county was undergoing a population boom - and the small courthouse was no longer adequate to house county government. Third, Appling was now removed from the area near the Columbia-Richmond county boundary - where most of the population growth was occurring. After the fire marshal condemned the courthouse was unsafe in 1977, the superior court judge ordered the county commission to undertake needed repairs and improvements. After repeated delays, commissioners finally authorized renovation of the upstairs portion of the historic courthouse (which was completed in 1980). However, in recognition of the population and economic growth taking place in the eastern potions of the county, commissioners authorized construction of a county government complex in Evans known as the Columbia County Government Center . As the county continued to grow in population, additional facilities were soon needed. A new Columbia County Government Complex Addition, built immediately behind the Government Center in Evans, was dedicated in Aug. 1994 . One problem complicating the location of the courthouse in Columbia County was the long-standing requirement under Georgia law that superior court sessions must be held at the county seat and courthouse of each county not less than twice a year. This meant that Columbia County superior court had to be held at the courthouse in Appling, which is the legal county seat. However, the 1998 General Assembly enacted legislation providing that in any Georgia county where the county seat is located in an unincorporated area of the county, and that county's governing authority determines by resolution that the citizens of the county would be best served by constructing a courthouse annex or satellite courthouse outside the county seat, superior court sessions may legally be held at such annex or satellite. Because Appling lost its incorporated status in 1995, it was now legal for Columbia County to build a courthouse annex in Evans. Following the passage of this legislation, Columbia County voters in 1998 approved a special purpose local option sales tax (SPLOST) to fund construction of a new 70,000-square-foot Columbia County Courthouse Annex adjacent to the Government Center in Evans Construction of the facility began in November 1999. When completed in November 2001, this new facility will house the magistrate court, juvenile court, clerk of superior court, probate court, superior court judges, district attorney, probation office, and court administrator on the first floor. Located on the second floor will be a jury assembly room, a small courtroom, two medium-size courtrooms, and a large courtroom. After the new Columbia County Courthouse Annex in Evans is completed, SPLOST funds will be used to restore the old 1856 courthouse in Appling so that superior court can meet there on a limited basis in the future.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #253
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Lincoln County, Lincolnton GA

Lincoln County was created from Wilkes County on Feb. 20, 1796 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1796, p. 9). Georgia’s 24th county was named for American Revolutionary war general Benjamin Lincoln (1733-1810). Lincoln had been in charge of the Continental Army’s southern department and later became Pres. George Washington’s first Secretary of War.

The 1796 act creating Lincoln County provided for commissioners to select a county seat and build a courthouse but further directed that elections and court sessions initially be held at the house of Joseph Stovall. Lincolnton was named county seat in 1800. The legislature incorporated it as a town on Dec. 19, 1817 (Ga. Laws 1817, p. 85).

Initially, Lincoln County court sessions were held in the house of Joseph [Josiah] Stovall. After Lincolnton was designated county seat in 1800, a stone courthouse was built. On March 2, 1874, the legislature approved the county borrowing $12,000 for construction of a new courthouse (Ga. Laws 1874, p. 326). That year, a new two-story courthouse was constructed. This building served until 1915, when the present courthouse was completed.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:57 AM   #254
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Wilkes County, Washington GA

Wilkes County was established by Georgia’s first state constitution, the Constitution of 1777, which became effective Feb. 5, 1777. Because Wilkes is the first county in the list of eight counties created by Art. IV of that document, it is considered Georgia’s first county. Unlike the other seven counties (which were fashioned from existing colonial parishes), Wilkes was created from the “ceded lands north of Ogechee”, a reference to the land ceded in 1773 by the Creeks and Cherokees in their respective Treaties of Augusta.

Wilkes County was named for British politician John Wilkes, who supported the cause of the American colonies’ cause in the House of Commons.

Between 1790 and 1854, the legislature took land from Wilkes County to form Elbert County (1790), Oglethorpe County (1793), and Lincoln County (1796), and to help form Warren County (1793) and Taliaferro County (1825).

County Seat: An act of Feb. 26, 1784 designated the town of Washington as county seat of Wilkes County. In 1793, the legislature named commissioners with authority to choose a new site for the county courthouse but evidently they decided not to make a change. When the town was laid out in 1780, local officials named it Washington in honor of Gen. George Washington, hero of the American Revolution. Washington, reportedly the first city in America named for George Washington, was incorporated in 1805.

According to Jordan and Puster, Wilkes County's first courthouse was constructed in 1785. Remarkably, it served until the current building was completed in 1904. The new courthouse was built with arches over doors and windows, and an ornate clock tower. In 1958, the courthouse's roof and tower were destroyed by a fire. Subsequently, much of the damage was repaired, though the courthouse no longer had its distinctive tower and roof. In 1989, as part of an effort to restore the courthouse to its pre-1958 appearance, a new tower (although not as tall as the original) and roof were built. Also in 1989, a rear addition to the courthouse was constructed.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #255
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Taliaferro County, Crawfordville GA (that's pronounced TOL-i-VER)

Taliaferro (pronounced “Tol-i-ver”) County was established on Dec. 24, 1825 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1825, p. 58). Created from portions of Greene, Hancock, Oglethorpe, Warren, and Wilkes counties, Georgia’s 69th county was named for Col. Benjamin Taliaferro, who served in Revolutionary War and the U.S. House of Representatives (1799-1802).

Crawfordville incorporated in 1826 and named for former U.S. Senator and Secretary of the Treasury William H. Crawford.

This is only the county's second courthouse. The first was erected in 1828; it was torn down in 1901 to make way for the present courthouse, completed in 1902.