ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #256
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
McDuffie County, Thomson GA

Hometown of the man that created RFD (rural free delivery mail service).

I will not be dupped by two courthouses.....first the historic courthouse:

And now the new courthouse:

McDuffie County was created from Columbia and Warren counties on Oct. 18, 1870 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1870, p. 20). Georgia’s 134th county was named for former South Carolina governor, congressman, and U.S. senator George McDuffie (1790-1851).

The act creating McDuffie County designated Thomson as its county seat, though leaving it to the ordinary [probate judge] to select the actual site for location of the courthouse and jail. When the ordinary declined to choose a site, the county's grand jury in 1871 appointed a committee to designate the land lot on which to build the courthouse. What began as a small settlement in Columbia County became a train stop on the Georgia Railroad in the 1830s. In 1853, the small town was named in honor of J. Edgar Thomson, who surveyed the route of the Georgia Railroad through the settlement twenty years earlier. In 1854, the legislature incorporated Thomson.

The 1870 legislation creating McDuffie County provided that the county's ordinary [probate judge] was to select a lot in Thomson on which to build a courthouse and jail. Until a courthouse could be built, county officials rented the first two floors of the Masonic building for holding court. In Aug. 1872, the legislature authorized the ordinary to issue bonds up to $15,000 to finance construction of a courthouse and jail, with the county to levy a special tax to repay the bondholders. Subsequently, a courthouse was erected , which remains in use today. Wings were added and the courtroom was enlarged in 1934. Elevators and stairs were part of a major renovation in 1970.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:13 AM   #257
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Warren County, Warrenton GA

Warren County was created from Burke, Columbia, Washington, and Wilkes counties on Dec. 19, 1793 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1793, p. 10). Georgia’s 16th county was named for Massachusetts’ Gen. Joseph Warren (1741-1775), who was killed early in the American Revolution at the Battle of Bunker Hill.

In 1857, Glascock County was created entirely from Warren County (Ga. Laws 1857, p. 35). Also, portions of Warren County were used to create Jefferson County (1796), Taliaferro County (1825), and McDuffie County (1870).

The act creating Warren County named a commission to select the county seat and erect a courthouse and jail. Until that action was taken, Warren County courts were to meet in the house of James McCormick. By 1796, no county seat had been selected, so the General Assembly directed that county courts temporarily meet at the house of Sterling Gardner (Ga. Laws 1796, p. 7). An act of Feb. 9, 1797 designated a lot on Gardner's plantation as the permanent county seat of Warren County (Ga. Laws 1797, p. 34). This lot became the town of Warrenton, which the General Assembly incorporated on Dec. 8, 1810 (Ga. Laws 1810, p. 39).

Reportedly, a courthouse was built in the public square of Warrenton in 1809. It is unclear how long this structure served, for in 1820, the General Assembly authorized a special tax in Warren County to construct a new courthouse (Ga. Laws 1820, p. 91). In 1909, the courthouse was destroyed by fire, and construction of the present courthouse was completed the following year. From 1999 to 2000, the courthouse was restored and enlarged to almost triple its former size.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #258
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Closing in on the goal.....

I make it 17 counties left to go....

Almost 450 mile round trip yesterday...nearly three hours just to get to the first courthouse.

We might have to coordinate a bit more as the end gets near to prevent duplicates.

Thanks for the accolades on the pictures there jub. I seem to always be able to find a slew of mistakes in my photos. Framing, fill, glare, shadows....the list goes on. I have put down my old Canon DSLR and have been using an Olympus TG-2 since we started the courthouse thread. I just can't get used to the lack of a viewfinder. The screen on the back just doesn't get it done for me.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #259
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Love my rebel. only want a PAS for the pocket while riding.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #260
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
Love my rebel. only want a PAS for the pocket while riding.
I've got an old EOS 10D. I lugged that thing all over England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales in my tankbag......always worried about getting it wet but it only rained on me twice. It just took up so much room with a couple of lenses.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #261
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 11,899
Terry and Mike, thank for the latest rounds of courthouses.

I'll update the map tomorrow since it's at work.
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:51 AM   #262
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch

Map has been updated. 17 left to go!

So what's next after courthouses?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:57 AM   #263
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmons View Post
I make it 17 counties left to go....

Almost 450 mile round trip yesterday...nearly three hours just to get to the first courthouse.

We might have to coordinate a bit more as the end gets near to prevent duplicates.

Thanks for the accolades on the pictures there jub. I seem to always be able to find a slew of mistakes in my photos. Framing, fill, glare, shadows....the list goes on. I have put down my old Canon DSLR and have been using an Olympus TG-2 since we started the courthouse thread. I just can't get used to the lack of a viewfinder. The screen on the back just doesn't get it done for me.
I think your photos are fine, at least to me. I don't notice the little nuances, maybe if I was a pro, but I'm not.

As far as cameras, I have been thinking about buying a nice DSLR since I like photographing the old buildings and what-nots in Georgia. Seems like I might have found a new hobby. Throwing a motorcycle into the mix seems to make it more interesting.

I'll be sad to see the courthouse thread end but everything comes to an end. I'll keep the thread alive in my sig though for future generations.

Ugh...guess I'll go and get Dade.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #264
vman1313
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Pickens County GA

Pickens County is named for American Revolutionary War General Andrew Pickens.

The Georgia General Assembly passed an act on December 5, 1853 to create Pickens County from portions of Cherokee and Gilmer counties. Pickens received several more land additions from Cherokee (1869) and Gilmer Counties (1858 and 1863); however several sections of Pickens County have also been transferred to other counties: Dawson County (1857), Gordon County (1860), and Cherokee County (1870).

Most of Pickens County's early industry revolved around the marble industry. Georgia Marble Company is located in Marble Hill near Tate. The Tate Elementary school is built out of marble. The marble was also used to make the statue of Abraham Lincoln in the Lincoln Memorial. Most of the marble is white, but there is also very rare pink marble. It is one of the few places in the world where pink marble is found. The marble is also used for tombstones for the United States Military.

Pickens County has seen very rapid growth with the building of Georgia State Route 515, locally referred to as the '4 lane'. Many new businesses and residents continue to move to Pickens County. Pickens County is home the Georgia Marble Festival.

COOL JAIL CLOSE BYE
Old 02-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #265
vman1313
Adventurer

Cherokee County GA

Cherokee County is a suburban county located in the US state of Georgia. As of the 2010 census, the population was 214,346.[1] The county seat is Canton.[2]
Cherokee County is included in the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Originally, Cherokee County was more like a territory than a county, covering everything northwest of the Chattahoochee River and Chestatee River except for Carroll County. This county was created December 26, 1831 by the state legislature. It was named after the Cherokee Indians who lived in the area at that time. Several other counties were carved out of these Cherokee lands as part of the Cherokee Land Lottery of 1832.[3]

An act of the Georgia General Assembly passed on December 3 of that year created the counties of Forsyth, Lumpkin, Union, Cobb, Gilmer, Murray, Cass (now Bartow), Floyd, and Paulding.[4] The forcible (sometimes at gunpoint) removal of the Cherokee people, leading up to the notorious Trail of Tears, began in this area the year before, later accelerated by the discovery of gold in local streams.

The first county seat was at Harnageville, originally called Marble Works. Since 1880 that town has been called Tate, and it is now (since 1853) in Pickens County. Part of that county was taken directly from Cherokee, the other via Gilmer (itself earlier taken from Cherokee).

In 1857, part of the southeastern corner of the county was ceded by the General Assembly to form Milton County (now the city of Milton in the county of Fulton). In the 1890s, The Atlanta & Knoxville Railroad (later renamed the Marietta & North Georgia Railroad when it could not be completed to Knoxville) built a branch line up through the middle of the county. When this line was bought by the Louisville & Nashville Railroad the following decade, the L&N built train depots at Woodstock and other towns.

Cherokee County is a part of the Atlanta metro area. It is bisected by Interstate 575, which runs from Marietta north through Woodstock, Lebanon, Holly Springs, Canton, the county seat, and Ball Ground, ending at the Pickens County line into Georgia 515, the Appalachian Parkway developmental highway. The Georgia Northeastern Railroad also operates freight service on the former L&N tracks, roughly parallel to this route. Population growth follows the same general pattern as well, with new suburbs in the south following the highway toward exurbs further north.

My girl showing off her Tail of the Dragon tattoo
Old 02-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #266
vman1313
Adventurer

Forsyth County GA

Forsyth County is a county located in the U.S. state of Georgia. The county seat is Cumming, Georgia. Forsyth County is a part of the Atlanta metropolitan area. As of the 2010 census, the population was 175,511.[2]
Forsyth County has been one of the fastest growing areas in the United States in terms of percentage of growth for several years during the 2000s. The population growth was caused by the county's proximity to Atlanta and its appeal as a commuter area for people working in the Atlanta area. The influx of high earning professionals increased the average income to a point where Forbes.com named it as the 13th wealthiest county in the United States in terms of median household income for 2008. At near $84,872 it is also the wealthiest county in the state of Georgia, and currently is the 30th wealthiest county in the nation.[6]

Forsyth County gained national media attention in the 1980s because of a series of civil rights demonstrations and counter demonstrations that began as an attempt to show that the county had moved past a history of racial tension. The county also received national media attention because of Lake Lanier, which forms the eastern border of the county, and the scarcity of water resources during a drought that threatened water supplies for the metro Atlanta area and, downstream, areas of Alabama and Florida.[7]
Forsyth County was partitioned in 1832[8] from a section of the Cherokee County territory along with nine other counties in the area. The territory was formed a year earlier in response to the discovery of gold in the surrounding area in 1829. The land was originally settled by the Mound Builders of the Mississippian culture, who built mound structures at nearby Etowah in Bartow County, and large communities along the Etowah River in neighboring Cherokee County. With the disappearance of the Mound Builders, members of the Cherokee Nation settled in the territory that would become Forsyth County. The Cherokee were subsequently relocated during the trail of tears.[9]

Forsyth County was named for John Forsyth,[10] Governor of Georgia from 1827–1829 and Secretary of State under Presidents Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren. For many years, much of the area was set aside for agriculture and as a result was fairly poor. During the 1950s, with the introduction of the poultry industry, the county experienced a steady economic growth. Georgia State Route 400, which opened in 1971, and was eventually extended through the county and northward stimulated population growth as the county became a bedroom community for Atlanta. Today, Forsyth County maintains a large percentage of new homeowners. Due to rapid suburban sprawl and skyrocketing housing prices in neighboring Fulton County, a large number of affluent professionals have moved into the county. Over 60% of the current population either lived elsewhere or had not been born yet in 1987.
In 2008 Forsyth County had been in the top ten fastest growing counties of the United States for several years. Many new subdivisions with elegant houses have been constructed, several around world class golf courses. The county's nearness to Atlanta and the Blue Ridge mountains and bordering 37,000-acre (150 km2) Lake Sidney Lanier has attracted many of the Metro area's new residents. The growth is tempered by water availability and the efforts of several county organizations to make sure growth is planned and sustains the high quality of life in the area.[11]
Forsyth County is also the home of "Real Housewives of Atlanta" reality star Nene Leakes and Kim Zolciak.

City Hall looked cool too....
Old 02-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #267
vman1313
Adventurer

Hope these are acceptable. I wish I hadnt seen this thread so late cause I enjoy just riding but love to ride to a location or for a purpose. Tag A Rama, Picture Games, Scavenger Hunts...I truly enjoy those. Hopefully Ill go get a few more this coming weekend. Thanks for the game...start thinking of something else we can collect from each county...maybe County Line Signs since every county has them. I was thinking water towers or high schools but not all counties have a water tower or HS with the county name.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #268
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Hey Jub
Every county has a jail.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #269
rascalman
GhostRider

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman1313 View Post
Hope these are acceptable. I wish I hadnt seen this thread so late cause I enjoy just riding but love to ride to a location or for a purpose. Tag A Rama, Picture Games, Scavenger Hunts...I truly enjoy those. Hopefully Ill go get a few more this coming weekend. Thanks for the game...start thinking of something else we can collect from each county...maybe County Line Signs since every county has them. I was thinking water towers or high schools but not all counties have a water tower or HS with the county name.

Anyway, thanks again.
Check out this link. One of my favorite water towers
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tempest_fae/3826268149/

http://www.gather.com/viewImage.acti...96224746692172

rascalman screwed with this post 02-26-2014 at 12:42 PM
rascalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #270
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Good job, vman!
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote