ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #271
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
You guys have inspired me. This summer I will be taking a trip with my friend Dave and we're hitting every courthouse in Wyoming over the course of our days. Granted, there are only 23 counties in Wy, but it's so large that the shortest route I could make to take us through them all will be almost 2,000 miles.

So it'll be two bikes, four days, 2k miles around Wyoming. Thanks for the inspiration!!

George (Georgia boy displaced to Wyoming)
Old 02-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #272
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Hey George, when you get the thread started, let us know. I would like to see that one, too!
HPTuner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #273
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Will do, I'll link the ride report here since ya'll fellers will certainly appreciate the concept!

Sent from my leash
Old 02-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #274
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 13,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman1313 View Post
Hope these are acceptable. I wish I hadnt seen this thread so late cause I enjoy just riding but love to ride to a location or for a purpose. Tag A Rama, Picture Games, Scavenger Hunts...I truly enjoy those. Hopefully Ill go get a few more this coming weekend. Thanks for the game...start thinking of something else we can collect from each county...maybe County Line Signs since every county has them. I was thinking water towers or high schools but not all counties have a water tower or HS with the county name.

Anyway, thanks again.
Hi vman! Thanks for grabbing those! Yes, they are very nice pictures and some handsome courthouses as well.

I'm like you in that I need motivation to ride sometimes and having a mission makes it that much more enjoyable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
Hey Jub
Every county has a jail.
Good point, not that I would like to see them up close and personal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPTuner View Post
Hey George, when you get the thread started, let us know. I would like to see that one, too!
+1

14 more counties to go!

Updated the map.

jub jub screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 08:57 AM
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:05 AM   #275
vman1313
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPTuner View Post
Good job, vman!
Thanks! Planning to hit up some of those on the Alabama border this weekend - weather permitting of course HAHA!
Old 02-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #276
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman1313 View Post
Thanks! Planning to hit up some of those on the Alabama border this weekend - weather permitting of course HAHA!
While you're at, grab that Dade County, would ya!
Old 03-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #277
rascalman
GhostRider

Oddometer: 323
Hey guys, I got the Heard county, Coweta county and Fayette county today. Bad news is it may take me a while, like a day or so, to get them posted. But I do have them. Just got to figure out this PhotoBucket thing and posting them.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #278
rascalman
GhostRider

Heard County Courthouse

Heard
County, in west central Georgia on the border with Alabama, is the state's seventy-seventh county. Created in 1830 from 301 square miles of Carroll, Coweta, and Troup counties, it was named for Stephen Heard, an influential patriot of the American Revolution (1775-83), a planter, and a governor of Georgia from 1780 to 1781. The land now encompassed by Heard County was originally held by Creek Indians, who lost it at the Treaty of Indian Springs in 1825. The first white inhabitants arrived soon after the signing of the treaty and acquired most of their property by state-run land lotteries. Most of the new settlers came from other parts of Georgia in the search for better land.
The county seat, Franklin, named in honor of Benjamin Franklin, was an established village by 1770 but not incorporated until 1831. The first courthouse burned down in 1893 and was replaced the Heard County Courthouse following year. The second courthouse was, in turn, replaced in 1964 by the building currently in service.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #279
rascalman
GhostRider

Coweta County Courthouse

Coweta County is proud to display the 1904 Neoclassical Revival architecture of our historic courthouse. The structure reflects the Italian influence of architect Andrea Palladro in its central crossing plan and English architect Christopher Wrenn in its symmetrical classicism. Traditionally, cornices and pediments of stone were used, but stamped and formed copper were used, as well.
The most interesting feature is the dome, reminiscent of the famed Gibbs Radcliff Library. Rising more than 100 feet above the court square, it features clocks on all four sides. The dome is covered with copper to match the cornice, pediment and railings.
The architect was James Golucke, the son of a German immigrant who settled in Georgia. The courtroom is used by the Probate Court during the week. The Coweta County CVB is also in the courthouse on the east side of the square.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #280
rascalman
GhostRider

Fayette County Courthouse

The Fayette County Courthouse was built in 1825 in its years it has had several renovations in 1888 the clock tower was added, but a clock would have to wait until 1910.

1965 brought changes to the interior. A 58-foot hand-hewn beam was removed and placed outside along the sidewalk to be used as a bench. The county claims the right of having the longest courthouse bench in the world!

In 1982 the courthouse was again remodeled then in April of 1983 two felons tried to burn the courthouse down to destroy evidence. The roof was destroyed along with the clock tower. The repairs were made in 1983 and it was decided a new courthouse would be built. The courthouse offices were moved about two blocks to the south adjacent to the then sheriffs department. The courthouse occupied this building from the around 1985 until the early 2000's. A new courthouse was constructed and now sits on adjacent property.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #281
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch

Nice job rascalman! Appreciate you picking those up! I can only look at the Heard County Courthouse and think it must a poor county with no tax base. It's not alone though. There are about 4 or 5 others like it.

I drove through Fayettville several weeks ago and saw the old courthouse. It really stands out in the center of town. Unfortunately, I wasn't in a position to take a picture. I would have liked to though.

Eleven more counties to go! Woo hoo!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #282
GAVic
Largely unnoticed

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalman View Post
Heard has jumped to the top of the list for ugliest courthouse yet.
GAVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #283
rascalman
GhostRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVic View Post
Heard has jumped to the top of the list for ugliest courthouse yet.
Yea, but the folks are really nice.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #284
rascalman
GhostRider

Going to try to pick up Carroll County tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #285
rascalman
GhostRider

Carroll County courthouse

We had a busy weekend. Yesterday was our anniversary dinner for my lovely wife and myself and today was my DIL's birthday. Heaven forbid I mention her age but Lordy Lordy she just turned..............never mind.
Anyway, wifey and I, my son (Big Government) and wifey(birthday girl), and a good friend(Highway) and his lady took a jaunt up to Carroll county to get the courthouse pic. I had the same problem GAVic had with Spalding county, the sun was in the wrong place but I'll post them up anyway.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

rascalman screwed with this post 03-09-2014 at 06:16 PM
rascalman is offline   Reply With Quote