ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #61
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tsimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Macon County GA
Oddometer: 177
Clay County, Fort Gaines GA









Location: Fort Gaines

Date Built: 1871-73

Architectural Style: Italian Renaissance Revival/Neoclassical Revival/Beaux Arts Classicism

Designer: Vernacular (Greek Revival influence)

The 1854 law creating Clay County authorized the justices of the county's first inferior court to provide for erection of a courthouse and jail. However, for the next two decades, it is not clear if a courthouse was actually built or whether the county instead rented space. In 1869 and 1870, local grand juries recommended that a county courthouse be built, and in 1870, the General Assembly authorized Clay County to hold a referendum on borrowing money to build a courthouse (Ga. Laws 1870, p. 450). Voters agreed, and construction began in 1871. Completed in 1873, the Clay County courthouse is still in use today.
__________________
Travis

tsimmons screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 07:16 AM
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #62
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tsimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Macon County GA
Oddometer: 177
Early County, Blakley GA







Location: Blakely

Date Built: 1904-05

Architectural Style: Neoclassical Revival

Designer: Morgan & Dillon

An act of Dec. 21, 1819 organizing Early County directed that until a courthouse was erected, county courts were to meet at the house of Richard Grimsley in the 28th district. It is not clear how long Grimsley's house served as courthouse, but in 1826 Benjamin Collier gave the county 25 acres for building a courthouse and other public buildings. A wooden courthouse was built here in 1826, followed by other structures in subsequent years. A courthouse built in 1858 served until the present building was constructed in 1906. The current courthouse was rehabilitated in 1992-93.

And a nice memorial provided by the VFW and American Legion.

__________________
Travis
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #63
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tsimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Macon County GA
Oddometer: 177
Miller County, Colquitt GA







Location: Colquitt

Date Built: 1977

Architectural Style: Modern

Designer: Tomberlin & Associates

Sometime after Miller County's creation in 1856, its first courthouse was built in Colquitt. This structure was replaced by a new courthouse that burned in 1873. The county's third courthouse was a two-story brick structure with a dome clock tower. This building burned down in 1974 and was replaced by the present courthouse in 1977.
__________________
Travis
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #64
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tsimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Macon County GA
Oddometer: 177
Seminole County, Donalsonville GA







Location: Donalsonville

Date Built: 1922

Architectural Style: Beaux Arts Classicism/Neoclassical Revival

Designer: William J.J. Chase

This courthouse, the only one in the county's history, was renovated in 1978-79.
County History: On July 8, 1920, the General Assembly proposed a constitutional amendment to create Seminole County (Ga. Laws 1920, p. 52). In that year's general election, Georgia voters ratified the proposed amendment on Nov. 2, 1920, which marks the official date of the county's creation (although a state historical marker on the courthouse grounds incorrectly cites the county's creation as the day the legislative act proposing the constitutional amendment was approved).

According to the 1920 constitutional amendment, Seminole County was to be "laid out from the Counties of Decatur and Early." However, specific language in the constitutional amendment actually provided that the southern borders of Miller and Early counties constituted Seminole County's northern border. Thus, Seminole County was created entirely from Decatur County. Georgia's 156th county was named for the Seminole Indians, who once lived in this area.

Why was Seminole County created by constitutional amendment instead of an act of the General Assembly? In 1904, Georgia voters had approved a constitutional amendment limiting the number of counties in the state to 145. The next year, the General Assembly created eight new counties, bringing the total number to 145 -- the constitutional limit. Nevertheless, there was continuing pressure to create more counties. Beginning in 1906, lawmakers got around the 145-county limitation by creating new counties through constitutional amendments that were not subject to the limitation. By 1924, Georgia had 161 counties -- 16 of which had been created by constitutional amendment. On Jan. 1, 1932, Milton and Campbell counties merged with Fulton, leaving 159 counties. In 1945, Georgia voters ratified a new constitution -- one which provided an absolute limit of 159 counties, with an additional provision that no new country could be created except through consolidation of existing counties.

I like this courthouse the best so far. It is located at the end of the historic downtown area and must really look good with the flag displayed on the pole in front.
__________________
Travis
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #65
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tsimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Macon County GA
Oddometer: 177
Decatur County, Bainbridge GA









Location: Bainbridge

Date Built: 1902

Architectural Style: Neoclassical Revival (with campanile-like clock tower)

Designer: Alexander Blair

Decatur County was created from Early County on Dec. 8, 1823 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1823, p. 63). The county was organized by an act of Dec. 19, 1823. Georgia's 58th county was named for U.S. Navy Commodore Stephen Decatur. In 1920, Seminole County was created entirely from Decatur County. Also, portions of Decatur County were used to help create Thomas County (1825) and Grady County (1905).

County Seat: On Dec. 19, 1823, the General Assembly passed an act organizing Decatur County. Five commissioners were named to select a county seat "as near the center of the county as convenience will admit" and to contract for building a courthouse and jail. The same act directed that Decatur County elections and court sessions be held at the home of George G. Gaines until a county courthouse was built. Subsequently, the commissioners picked a site near where Fort Hughes once stood. Here, they had a wooden courthouse built in 1824. On Dec. 2, 1824, the legislature officially designated this site as permanent county seat and directed that it be known as Bainbridge. The name honored William Bainbridge, former commander of the U.S.S. Constitution. The legislature incorporated the town of Bainbridge on Dec. 22, 1829 (Ga. Laws 1829, p. 186).
__________________
Travis
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #66
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tsimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Macon County GA
Oddometer: 177
Grady County, Cairo GA







Location: Cairo (pronounced "kay-row")

GPS Coordinates : 30.87858, 84.20793

Date Built: 1985

Architectural Style: Classical Revival

Designer: Jinright, Ryan and Lynn Architects

Grady County was created from Decatur and Thomas counties on Aug. 17, 1905 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1905, p. 54). Georgia's 139th county was named for former Atlanta Constitution editor Henry Grady, who urged Georgia farmers to diversify and end the state's economic dependence on cotton.
__________________
Travis
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #67
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tsimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Macon County GA
Oddometer: 177
Mitchell County, Camilla GA








Location: Camilla

GPS Coordinates: 31.23139, 84.20912

Date Built: 1936

Architectural Style: Art Deco/Stripped Classical

Designer: William J.J. Chase

Mitchell County's first courthouse -- a two-story wood building -- was built in 1858. This structure burned in 1869 and was replaced the next year by a similar courthouse. The county's third courthouse was built in 1890 and served until 1936, when the present courthouse was completed as a WPA project.


Mitchell County was created from Baker County on Dec. 21, 1857 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1857, p. 38). The county was formed from all portions of Baker County east of the Flint River. Georgia's 123rd county was named for Gen. Henry Mitchell (1760-1839), a hero of the American Revolution, state militia officer, and former president of the Georgia Senate (1808-09). [Some sources have suggested that the county may have been named for David Mitchell (1766-1837), who served as Georgia governor 1809-1813 and 1815-1817.However, the act creating Mitchell County specifically states that it was named in honor of Gen. Henry Mitchell.]

The Dec. 21, 1857 legislation creating Mitchell County provided for election of county officials in March 1858. After that election, the new justices of the inferior court were empowered to select a "central and convenient place" to serve as county seat, to lay off the site into lots and streets, to provide for erection of a courthouse and other public buildings, and to make temporary arrangements for a site to conduct county business until a courthouse could be built. At some point in 1858, the inferior court designated Camilla as county seat and had a courthouse built. On Dec. 14, 1858, the legislature incorporated Camilla to consist of all territory within one mile of the courthouse (Ga. Laws 1858, p. 135). Reportedly, the town was named for Camilla Mitchell, granddaughter of Gen. Henry Mitchell.
__________________
Travis
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #68
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tsimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Macon County GA
Oddometer: 177
Baker County, Newton GA

The sadest looking courthouse so far.....(it is a converted school building)






I couldn't locate the historical marker but here is a link that has it....

1994 Flooding of the Baker County Courthouse

Old Baker County Courthouse

Location: Newton

GPS Coordinates : 31.31755, 84.34223

Date Built: Unknown

Architectural Style:

Designer: Unknown

Baker County was created on Dec. 12, 1825. Twelve days later, the legislature passed an act organizing the county and providing that the house of William Howards serve as the site for holding court and handling other county business until a courthouse could be built. On Dec. 16, 1828, the legislature designated the town of Byron as county seat. Shortly afterwards, a courthouse was built in Byron, though details about the structure are missing. In 1831, the legislature moved the county seat to a land lot more centrally located and named commissioners with responsibility for having a courthouse and jail built. Apparently, nothing was done for the following six years, as the legislature in 1837 appointed a new group of commissioners to oversee building of a county courthouse. At some point, a courthouse was built in the new town of Newton. In 1874, the legislature authorized Baker County to borrow up to $5,000 to build a new courthouse. At some point thereafter, county officials built a courthouse -- but it exceeded the $5,000 authorized by the legislature. In 1881, the legislature passed an act allowing Baker County to levy a special tax for 1881 and 1882 to pay off the debt for building the court house and repairing public bridges. This building was replaced with a new courthouse in 1900. Renovations to the 1900 courthouse were required because of major flooding of the Flint River in 1925, 1929, and 1994. The devastating flood of 1994 brought waters from the Flint River almost to the second floor of the courthouse. As a result, Baker County officials moved to a vacant school building several blocks away. This building served as temporary courthouse for six years. In 2000, the county remodeled a vacant school building adjacent to the temporary courthouse and made it new courthouse.
__________________
Travis
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #69
GAVic
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GAVic's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Middle GA
Oddometer: 456
Twiggs County Courthouse - Jeffersonville Georgia









Location: Jeffersonville

GPS: 32.687792,-83.64234

Date Built: 1902-04

Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival

Designer: J.W. Golucke

County History: Twiggs County was created from Wilkinson County on Dec. 14, 1809, by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1809, p. 75). According to that act, Twiggs County's boundaries were specified as:

. . . beginning on the Ocmulgee river, where the upperl line of said county of Wilkinson strikes the river; thence on the said upper line of said county to where the same crosses the main south fork of commissioners creek; thence a straight line to the first branch, which the present line crosses, dividing Pulaski and Wilkinson, on a south west direction from the corner that divides Laurens and Pulaski counties, and lower line of Wilkinson; thence with said line as it now runs, until it strikes the ocmulgee river; thence up the meanders thereof to the place of beginning of said river; and all that part of Wilkinson county, comprehended within the lines aforesaid . . . .

Georgia's 37th county was named for Revolutionary War general John Twiggs. A portion of Twiggs County was used to created Bibb County on Dec. 9, 1822 (Ga. Laws 1822, p. 21).

County Seat: The act creating Twiggs County named commissioners with authority to select the site of the county seat and build a courthouse. They selected land lot 55 in the 25th district and gave the lot's owner a deposit for purchasing the land. However, in an act of Dec. 8, 1810, the legislature directed that the courthouse be erected at or near Joiner's Spring above Savage's Creek, on land lot 73, in the 25th district of the new county (Ga. Laws 1810, p. 40). On Dec. 15, the legislature provided that until a courthouse was built, court sessions and county elections would be held at the house of John Harden (Ga. Laws 1810, p. 72).

GAVic screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 08:10 PM
GAVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #70
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer
 
SavannahCapt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: SE Georgia
Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmons View Post
The sadest looking courthouse so far.....(it is a converted school building)






I couldn't locate the historical marker but here is a link that has it....

1994 Flooding of the Baker County Courthouse


Old Baker County Courthouse

Location: Newton

GPS Coordinates : 31.31755, 84.34223

Date Built: Unknown

Architectural Style:

Designer: Unknown

Baker County was created on Dec. 12, 1825. Twelve days later, the legislature passed an act organizing the county and providing that the house of William Howards serve as the site for holding court and handling other county business until a courthouse could be built. On Dec. 16, 1828, the legislature designated the town of Byron as county seat. Shortly afterwards, a courthouse was built in Byron, though details about the structure are missing. In 1831, the legislature moved the county seat to a land lot more centrally located and named commissioners with responsibility for having a courthouse and jail built. Apparently, nothing was done for the following six years, as the legislature in 1837 appointed a new group of commissioners to oversee building of a county courthouse. At some point, a courthouse was built in the new town of Newton. In 1874, the legislature authorized Baker County to borrow up to $5,000 to build a new courthouse. At some point thereafter, county officials built a courthouse -- but it exceeded the $5,000 authorized by the legislature. In 1881, the legislature passed an act allowing Baker County to levy a special tax for 1881 and 1882 to pay off the debt for building the court house and repairing public bridges. This building was replaced with a new courthouse in 1900. Renovations to the 1900 courthouse were required because of major flooding of the Flint River in 1925, 1929, and 1994. The devastating flood of 1994 brought waters from the Flint River almost to the second floor of the courthouse. As a result, Baker County officials moved to a vacant school building several blocks away. This building served as temporary courthouse for six years. In 2000, the county remodeled a vacant school building adjacent to the temporary courthouse and made it new courthouse.
The abandoned courthouse was standing on the abandoned town square a year ago. Sort of spooky.
__________________
Anyone can take the helm when the seas are calm.
SavannahCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #71
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch
 
jub jub's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Central, GA
Oddometer: 9,785
Appreciate your contribution Travis, and Mike. Nice looking pictures too. Looks like you really pulled a bun burner today. I'm going to start adding the historical marker to mine as well. Never thought about until I saw you doing it.

I spent the day replacing worn out sprinkler heads. At least the weather was good.
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #72
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tsimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Macon County GA
Oddometer: 177
Talbot County, Talbotton GA and site of the first Georgia Supreme court session





Talbotton was the site for the first session of the Georgia Supreme Court.




Location: Talbotton

Date Built: 1892

Architectural Style: Queen Anne

Designer: Bruce & Morgan



Likely, Talbot County business and court sessions initially were conducted at private houses. Reportedly, a brick courthouse was built in Talbotton in 1831. Evidence of this building is found in James Silk Buckingham's 1839 diary, where he records seeing "a good brick court-house" in Talbotton. The building burned in early 1892, and the present courthouse was completed later that year
__________________
Travis
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #73
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tsimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Macon County GA
Oddometer: 177
Muscogee County, Columbus GA



No historical marker for the courthouse.


Location: Columbus

Date Built: 1972-73

Architectural Style: Modern

Designer: E. Owen Smith and Biggers, Scarbrough, Neal, Crisp & Clark



On Feb. 12, 1825, a group of Creek Indians led by William McIntosh signed the Treaty of Indian Springs, in which they ceded all of their remaining lands in present-day Georgia. Subsequently, in an act of June 9, 1825 (see text), the General Assembly provided that the land ceded by the treaty be divided into five sections, surveyed into districts and land lots, and distributed by land lottery (Ga. Laws 1825 Extra. Session., p. 3). [See map of sections] On Dec. 14, 1826, the legislature redesignated the five land sections as the counties of Lee, Muscogee, Troup, Coweta, and Carroll and provided for their organization (Ga. Laws 1826, p. 57). [See map of five counties] [Click here to see legal description of Muscogee County's original boundaries.]

Despite the fact that the five counties were not named until Dec. 14, 1826, the date their respective boundaries were established -- June 9, 1825 -- is generally accepted as the date of their creation. Because the five counties were provided for in the same act, their order of creation is based on the order they were mentioned in the act -- Lee, Muscogee, Troup, Coweta, and Carroll. Thus, Lee was Georgia's 61st county, while Muscogee was 62nd.

Muscogee County was named for the Muscogee Indians, otherwise known as the Creek Indians.

In 1827, a portion of Muscogee County was used to create Harris County.

In 1969, the General Assembly created a special commission to draft a charter to consolidate the city of Columbus and Muscogee County into a single countywide government. [At the time, there was one other incorporated municipality in Muscogee County--the town of Bibb City. Its residents and officials decided not to be part of the consolidation, so it was exempted from the new charter.] In May 1970, voters of Columbus and Muscogee County approved the merger in separate referendums. Election of officials took place in Nov. 1970, and the new consolidated government went into effect on Jan. 1, 1971. Subsequently, in an act of Oct. 5, 1971, the General Assembly enacted the charter into law, although confirming the previous Jan. 1 as the effective date of the new consolidated government (Ga. Laws 1971 Extra. Session, p. 2007).

Bibb City, incorporated by superior court in August 1909, continued to function as an independent municipality through 2000. However, when the Bibb Mill closed in 1998, the town lost its principal source of tax revenue. In December 2000, the town council voted to give up its charter and become part of the Columbus-Muscogee consolidated government. Consequently, the General Assembly in 2001 repealed Bibb City's charter.
__________________
Travis
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #74
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tsimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Macon County GA
Oddometer: 177
Harris County, Hamilton GA







Location: Hamilton

Date Built: 1908

Architectural Style: Neoclassical Revival

Designer: E.C. Hosford
A log building was used as county courthouse until l831, when a more permanent structure was completed. This second building served until the present courthouse was built in 1908. This courthouse is notable for its six-column facade.
__________________
Travis
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #75
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tsimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Macon County GA
Oddometer: 177
Troup County, LaGrange GA





On Dec. 14, 1826, the legislature directed that Troup County elections and court sessions be held in the house of Joseph Weaver. The county's first inferior court was authorized to erect a courthouse, but it is not known if a courthouse was built in 1827. In Dec. 1827, portions of Troup County were used to create two new counties -- Meriwether and Harris. New elections were set for Feb. 1828, after which the new inferior court was given the responsibility of providing for a courthouse. Reportedly, a brick courthouse was built in LaGrange in 1830. This structure was torn down in 1903 or 1904 and replaced by a new three-story brick courthouse with clock tower, which was completed in 1904. This courthouse burned in 1936 and was replaced in 1939 with a new marble courthouse.

On Feb. 12, 1825, a group of Creek Indians led by William McIntosh signed the Treaty of Indian Springs, in which they ceded all of their remaining lands in present-day Georgia. Subsequently, in an act of June 9, 1825 , the General Assembly provided that the land ceded by the treaty be divided into five numbered sections, surveyed into districts and land lots, and distributed by land lottery (Ga. Laws 1825 Extra. Session., p. 3). On Dec. 14, 1826, the legislature redesignated the five land sections as the counties of Lee, Muscogee, Troup, Coweta, and Carroll and provided for their organization (Ga. Laws 1826, p. 57).

Despite the fact that the five counties were not named until Dec. 14, 1826, the date their respective boundaries were established -- June 9, 1825 -- is generally accepted as the date of their creation. Because the five counties were provided for in the same act, their order of creation is based on the order they were mentioned in the act -- Lee, Muscogee, Troup, Coweta, and Carroll. Thus, Lee was Georgia's 61st county, while Troup was 63rd. Troup County was named for George M. Troup, who was governor of Georgia at the time of the county's creation.

On Dec. 14, 1827, the legislature formed Meriwether County from the eastern half of Troup County and Harris County from portions of southern Troup County (Ga. Laws 1827, p. 69).
__________________
Travis
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014