ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #106
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Berrien County Courthouse, Nashville GA

GPS Coordinates: 31.20679, 83.24995

Date Built: 1899

Architectural Style:Romanesque Revival/Colonial Revival

Designer: W. Chamberlain

The 1856 act creating Berrien County appointed William Roberts, Josiah Parish, Cornelius Tison, Jasper M. Luke and Owen Smith as commissioners to purchase land for a county seat. However, the law also directed that election of county officials be held on the first Monday of April 1856. Should the commissioners not have selected a county seat by the time of the election, the new justices of the county's inferior court were authorized to make this decision. Shortly thereafter, the community of Nashville was named county seat. Like its Tennessee counterpart, Nashville was named for Revolutionary War heroGen. Francis Nash (1742-1777), who was mortally wounded in the Battle of Germantown. The General Assembly incorporated Nashville on Dec. 20, 1892 (Ga. Laws 1892, p. 162).

Nashville did not exist before the creation of Berrien County and was created for the purpose of being county seat. Original plans were to have the county seat in the geographical center, which is today’s community of Flat Creek. For one reason or another, it was moved a few miles south.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #107
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Cook County Courthouse, Adel GA

GPS Coordinates: 31.13927, 83.42398

Date Built: 1938-39

Architectural Style: Stripped Classical

Designer: William J.J. Close

On July 30, 1918, the General Assembly proposed a constitutional amendment to create the state's 155th county . In that year's general election, Georgia voters ratified the proposed amendment on Nov. 5, 1918, which marks the date of Cook County's creation (although a state historical marker on the Cook County courthouse grounds incorrectly cites the county's creation as the day the legislative act proposing the constitutional amendment was approved).

The constitutional amendment establishing Cook County provided that Adel serve as county seat. Adel was settled at an unknown date, perhaps as early as the 1860s. According to Kenneth Krakow, it originally was a small settlement named Puddleville. The town's first postmaster apparently wanted a more sophisticated name and derived the name "Adel" from Philadelphia by taking away the first four and last four letters. He was successful in having the post office designated Adel in 1873. In the 1880s, the Georgia Southern & Florida Railroad was built through Adel, and in 1889 the legislature incorporated the town. By 1915, Adel was served by the National Automobile Highway and was the largest town in the western portion of Berrien County that would form Cook County.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #108
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Tift County Courthouse, Tifton GA ... Last for the day.

The eleventh courthouse today and the last. Ninety miles back to the house.

Date Built: 1912-13

Architectural Style: Beaux Arts Classicism

Designer: W.A. Edwards

In 1872, Henry Hardin Tift built a saw mill and commissary at the crossing of the Brunswick & Western Railroad and the Georgia Southern & Florida Railroad in Berrien County. Tift named the settlement Lena (a former sweetheart), but a sawmill worker placed the name "Tifton" on a wooden board and nailed it to a tree -- and the name stuck. The worker had meant to recognize Henry Tift with the name, but Henry disavowed credit. Instead, he insisted that the name honor his uncle, Nelson Tift. On Dec. 28, 1890, the legislature incorporated Tifton. In the 1905 legislation creating Tift County, the legislature designated Tifton as the new county seat.

Tift County was created on Aug. 17, 1905 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1905, p. 60). Formed from portions of Berrien, Irwin, and Worth counties, Georgia's 141st county was named for Nelson Tift, who helped found the city of Albany. Tift became a important local businessman, local judge, militia commander, member of the Georgia House of Representatives, newspaper publisher, railroad official, and member of Congress (1868-69). Although he did not live in the county that would take his name, Tift was well known for his efforts to promote the economic resources of south Georgia. Although there is some rationale for the name of Tift County also being to honor Nelson Tift's nephew, Henry Harding Tift, who in 1872 founded the community that became known as Tifton, the legislation creating Tift County specifically credited the name to Nelson Tift. This remained the case until 2013, when legislation sponsored by the local delegation was passed by the Georgia General Assembly and signed into law by the governor - officially indicating that Tift County is named for Henry Harding Tift.

On the way back north on I75, I had some dude that seemed to be fascinated with my 'look ma no hands' approach to piloting the FJR. His camera phone came out and i feel I have been facebooked, tweeted, instagramed and liked for some reason or another.....
Old 10-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #109
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

Oddometer: 1,171
Gordon County

I couldn't get right in front of it...it sits right in the road.

GPS Coordinates of Courthouse Main Entrance: 34°30.160N, 84°57.059W

Street Address: 100 Wall Street, Calhoun, GA 30701

Date Built: 1961

Architectural Style:

Designer: Cunningham & Forehand

County History: Gordon County was created on Feb. 13, 1850 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1849-50, p. 124). The new county was formed from portions of Cass (later renamed Bartow) and Floyd counties. All lands that would become Gordon County were originally occupied by the Cherokee Indians -- and, in fact, the area was home of New Echota, capital of the Cherokee Nation. Even while Cherokees remained on their homeland, the Georgia General Assembly enacted legislation in Dec. 1830 that provided for surveying the Cherokee Nation (see map) in Georgia and dividing it into sections, districts, and land lots (see map). Subsequently, the legislature identified this entire area as "Cherokee County" (even though it never functioned as a county). An act of Dec. 3, 1832 divided the Cherokee lands into ten new counties -- Cass (later renamed Bartow), Cherokee, Cobb, Floyd, Forsyth, Gilmer, Lumpkin, Murray, Paulding, and Union. Cherokee lands were distributed to whites in a land lottery, but the legislature temporarily prohibited whites from taking possession of lots on which Cherokees still lived.

It was not until Dec. 29, 1835 that Georgia had an official basis for claiming the unceded Cherokee lands that included the future location of Gordon County. In the Treaty of New Echota, a faction of the Cherokees agreed to give up all Cherokee claims to land in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and North Carolina and move west in return for $5 million. Though a majority of Cherokees opposed the treaty and refused to leave, the U.S. and Georgia considered it binding. In 1838, U.S. Army troops rounded up the last of 15,000 Cherokees in Georgia and forced them to march west in what came to be known as the "Trail of Tears."

Gordon County's original 1850 boundaries (see legal description) were changed numerous times between 1852 to 1877, during which time the legislature transferred portions of Cass (Bartow), Floyd, Murray, Pickens, and Walker counties to Gordon County, while transferring land from Gordon to Floyd and Murray counties.

Georgia's 94th county was named for William Washington Gordon (1796-1842), the first Georgian to graduate from West Point and first president of the Central of Georgia Railroad.

PP is on the board!
Old 10-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #110
jub jub OP
Banned

Oddometer: 13,374
Thanks for contribution PP! Nice grab! I was wondering if anyone else was going to play!

Travis, I'm going to talk with the boss and see if we can get you a raise!

Looks like not all counties have the funds to build a fancy courthouse. Kind of sad to see those plain Jane courthouses when some of them are so grandiose!

Hopefully, I can get sometime soon to grab a few.

Worth, Atkinson and Lowndes courthouses are spectacular!

jub jub screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 03:55 PM
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #111
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
well. i was going to. you hit every county where i live.
berrien
lowndes
lanier
cook
echols
tift......

hell, someone was in nashville? 10 miles from the house....
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:41 AM   #112
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

I figured i would end up playing in someone else's sandbox

Soon or later....I figured i would end up playing in someone else's sandbox!

And that's one thing i noticed about the area. Everywhere i saw an unpaved road, it was sand. Put a courthouse down a dirt road and its safe from me. The FJR and I don't do dirt.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #113
jub jub OP
Banned

Is Calhoun down a dirt road or does it have red hair?
Old 10-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #114
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... I'll get your Calhoun county..... :) I'm calling it a Tom Tom victim. Or maybe operator error. You'd think with about 1300 miles in this quest I'd have been by it....

Lol... the last time I had a raise, it involved a 50 foot man lift.

sent from my droid maxx with tapatalk...
Travis

tsimmons screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 07:06 AM
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #115
jub jub OP
Banned

Just updated the map, 73 down 86 to go! When we hit 80 it will be just past half way!

Don't know what I'd do without you Travis! You remind me a lot Ernbo, once he has his sights set on something, he's relentless!

jub jub screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 03:43 PM
Old 10-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #116
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

We should work out a route that allows each of us to get a few courthouses and end up at a meeting place..... Of course we can't let it slow me down either.

Travis
Old 10-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #117
jub jub OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmons View Post
We should work out a route that allows each of us to get a few courthouses and end up at a meeting place..... Of course we can't let it slow me down either.

Travis
Sounds like a plan. Maybe make it a last stop so there is no feeling of anxiousness. I know after I eat, I tend to get lethargic. Oh wait, I'm like that all the time.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #118
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

I live in Floyd...can't believe I haven't been able to get it. Gordon County was for Calhoun methinks...and the road was paved

PP
Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #119
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

I am referring to Calhoun county... County seat is Morgan ga..... somehow I missed it on the third courthouse run I made. I stand by my assertion that my Tom Tom was having a HAL 9000 moment and caused the routing error. :)

Travis
Old 10-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #120
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

D'oh. I think I just had a HAL moment.