User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2005, 01:04 AM   #1
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,441
Wisconsin Gravel Ride

7 Dual sport riders gathered in south western Wisconsin for a little tour on our gravel roads. Recent rains and cool temps made for a pretty decent riding day. We didn't really have to worry about dust because of the rain so we were all able to one in one big pack.

Here we are at the starting point, Sidie Hollow Cty park outside Viroqua WI. Everyones checking out Ernies customized KLR.

Craig6785 was the only one that ended up camping Friday night. Here is his sweet 02 640.

Todd came all the way up from Janesville Wisconsin on his 950. Damn thats an awesome sounding bike!!!
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:08 AM   #2
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Our first gas stop in Ferryville, a nice little river town

Here is a pic of Bill from one of our scouting missions. This pic is from Ferryville, just up the river from the previous pic.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:15 AM   #3
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

After the gas stop, we got on Rush Creek road, which is a pretty fun gravel road. We let the fast guys take off and practice their high speed gravel cornering.
Todd, Ernie and I hung back a bit and got to enjoy this......

Everyone else flew right past this. I stopped and asked Todd and Ernie if they were interested in a little stream crossing, Hell yeah is the response I got.

Old 08-14-2005, 01:23 AM   #4
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Notice the tire marks from someone sliding all the way around this corner! Another stop for a little B.S.ing

Here is the whole crew:
L to R
Bill - XR650L
Mons - KLX 650
Ernie ( in the back )- KLR 650
Mike ( 2whlcr - front center ) Adventure R
Craig ( Craig6785 ) Adventure R
Todd ( Eriksson ) 950 Adventure
Me, Chad - XR650L

Mike and Mons scooting on down the road.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:28 AM   #5
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

We got pretty lucky weather wise. It had obviously been raining around us but we only hit some light sprinkles

Mons and Bill

Ernie and Todd
Old 08-14-2005, 01:54 AM   #6
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Road closed my ass!

Checking out a grounded boat.

Here is another pic of the boat from the weekend before.

At this point Mike had already left, Mons was about to leave, and Ernie and Todd needed to start thinking about getting back. We decided to change the route around and ride some slab back. I routed in some decent gravel along the way.

Right before we were about to hop on the highway, Bill noticed an overgrown road. There was a road sign, and it was on the GPS, showing that it hooked back up to the highway. Hmmmm....Yep, lets check it out.
Well, most of it was pretty overgrown, but fun. There were a couple spots I thought about turning around due to how overgrown it was. The trail looked like it stopped, but I rode through the bushes and sure enough, it kept going. We ended up coming out on someones driveway so I'm not sure if we were supposed to be on it or not. On one end the road sign said it was a road, on the other a Drive

Here come Craig.

We stopped in and rode some trails on a friends land, here is Craig blazing down the trail

I usually wipeout at least once on every group ride, but I managed to stay up for the whole ride this time. I did have a couple close calls though. Early on I blew a corner and went into the wet grass and finally managed to stop before doing any damage.
On these trails on my friends land I normally can haul ass pretty good, but
today, we had some rain and the trails were slicker than shit! I managed to slide off on of the corners and into the weeds. I noticed something dark in my slide path and slid sideways into a big ass rock, crushing my leg between the bike and the rock. I really thought I did some damage on that one! Thank god for Motocross boots!!

My entire lower leg seriosly hurt. I crushed my foot and the top of my leg right at the top of my boots. I've been limping around a bit tonight but I think all I have is a big bruise. Hopefully thats all!
Old 08-14-2005, 02:05 AM   #7
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Hopefully a few of the other guys have some pics to post.

This was my first time organizing a ride and it was alot of fun. I probably got in about 700 miles just out scouting for gravel roads and mapping out the route. The entire route would have been 180+ miles and with our re route we ended up doing about 168 miles. I had about 190 miles total for the day, I'm sure Ernie had 250 at least and Todd must had a 450+ mile day!!

Thanks everyone for showing up, I had a blast! I hope all of you had a good time and enjoyed the route I laid out. Hopefully everyone got to ride fast enough to stay entertained.

If anyone wants to ride this again, just let me know. I have all the GPS waypoints,maps and roll charts if anyones looking to ride some gravel.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:02 AM   #8
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
Nice ride report! Looks like you guys had fun. I have to make one of your or 2whlrcr's gravel rides one of these days. Both of you put on a great ride from the looks of it.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:03 AM   #9
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
...I have all the GPS waypoints,maps and roll charts if anyones looking to ride some gravel.
rokklym, would you mind sending me the GPS waypoints/route. I'd like to retrace the ride if I get up that way.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:12 AM   #10
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,928
Hey Chad:

Thanks for putting on the ride! Sorry I had to bail out early. Looks like I missed some of the good stuff.

I have to say the gravel roads were great. Narrow and winding with tons of scenery. Although most of the time I was too busy paying attention to the road and trying to keep from crashing.

For you guys who couldn't make it, you missed a great opportunity!

Here are a few pics I took:

2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:18 AM   #11
tengai

Oddometer: 4,125
Looks like you guys had a good time. I didn't notice the trip plan in time. I saw it last Thursday and by then had already commited to plans for this weekend. Hopefully if you do it again, I'd like to tag along. Glad everyone had a good time and everyone came back in one piece.

I'm in Racine county, if you guys are ever in the area, give me a shout.
tengai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:51 AM   #12
craig6785
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Hay Chad Thanks for a great ride. Sorry I didn't take any pics I was having too much fun blasting around on the gravel. If you plan another ride let me know I am in. Can you guys that did take pics send me copys so I have some Thanks.

craig6785 screwed with this post 08-14-2005 at 07:06 AM
craig6785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:16 AM   #13
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350

Cool report Rok! I had been loosely following the plans over in regional forums. Did you guys hit anything that would give a 1100GS a hard time? That area of Wisconsin is a stone's throw from me and kind of calls, ya know?

Anyway, great pics! You really showed some of the great stuff western WI has to offer.

P.S. Any details on that KLR? That looks like one of Baja's rally light kits.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:46 AM   #14
1stworks
dude

Oddometer: 1,613
rokklyn

looks like you guys had a great ride.
i think i met you at the endurad 05.
i have 03 640 adv and hope you
come to colarado soon

wisconsin is a great place to ride

call me when you want to come out

firstworks "scotty"
1stworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:13 AM   #15
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstworks
i think i met you at the endurad 05.
You camped right next to us right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstworks
i have 03 640 adv and hope you
come to colarado soon
call me when you want to come out
firstworks "scotty"
I'm still hoping that I might be able to go out there sometime this year, if not then next year for sure. I still have your phone # so I'll give you a call if I'm heading out that way.

This was your bike right?

rokklym screwed with this post 08-14-2005 at 10:37 AM