User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Young Adventurer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Need help deciding which bike to get

Hey all, new to forums here. Sorry if this is over asked on the forums just spent over an hour searching through but here i am.

I'm 18 years old, only have about 6 months of motorcycle experience. I'm very interested in getting an adventure bike, to the point where its all i think about and am willing to do anything to get one (short of stealing one). I work full time and have worked out that i can afford a monthly payment.

At first i was interested in the G650GS, since i am a new rider, but after many hours of research and going to the dealership i am leaning towards either the F700GS or the F800GS.

I will mostly be on tarmac, but plan on going to the desert here in colorado for over night rides. I also want the most reliable bike i can get, after owning a beater sport bike i want something reliable!

Also i am 230 pounds 6' 1". I guess my question is which bike would someone with a GS recommend for a newb like me, who doesnt plan on being a newb for long?
Young Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
Klr650
Old 09-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
3Rrr
Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer: 168
Used KLR

I would get a used KLR650.

After driving it off the lot they don't depreciate too much. Look for one with suspension upgrades (if you are lucky).

You can get a taste for the ADV life - and know what specifically will suit your riding.

KLR's are cheap and inexpensive to fix comparatively.

With your size you would fit a F800GS better than a 700 or 658.

Budget is usually the deciding factor.

Welcome to the forum.
03 TTR 225
89 Kat GSX600F
3Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
The Island
Im lost.

Oddometer: 216
Going from a beater street bike to a KLR is the perfect prerequisite for someone with only a few months of experience on a motorcycle and wanting to get into adv riding.

It makes sense to think that deciding what bike you want is based on past experiences with other bikes you had to determine exactly what you want/need in your next bike.

Give the KLR a try — you will then be better outfitted to make an expensive decision on a very great motorcycle when the time comes.

The Island screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 03:54 PM Reason: I can't speal, I mean, spell.
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Rrr View Post
I would get a used KLR650.
+1

Don't get yourself overly in debt on a fun toy, especially when you're still a relatively inexperienced rider so the risk of wrecking it is high, especially when off roading. Besides, a used KLR should be cheaper to insure.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
Young Adventurer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Island View Post
Going from a beater street bike to a KLR is the perfect prerequisite for someone with only a few months of experience on a motorcycle and wanting to get into adv riding.
Appreciate the replys everyone, i was actually looking at the KLR's. I'm not so sure they're as reliable as a bmw, also as comfortable. I plan on riding to washington quite often, and also plan on riding to alaska. Are the KLR's decent for long hours riding?
Young Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
3Rrr
Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer: 168
Check out the KLR side of the forum

My guess (from not actually owning one myself) is that trips to Washington would be doable with an AirHawk seat cushion (which you could use, and would need on a 800GS), front sprocket change for lower hwy rpm's, and a possible windscreen swap for a taller unit.
03 TTR 225
89 Kat GSX600F
3Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Welcome.....

+ 1 to all the above
What about the V Strom, they seem to be more road worthy and occasional fun on dirt. Raymond one of the inmate here took the bike to SA and back no problem.
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Adventurer View Post
Appreciate the replys everyone, i was actually looking at the KLR's. I'm not so sure they're as reliable as a bmw, also as comfortable. I plan on riding to washington quite often, and also plan on riding to alaska. Are the KLR's decent for long hours riding?
What do you consider LONG riding ?
Yes, the KLR650 is up to the task.
I rode one with the stock seat to Deadhorse, Alaska in 30 hours.
return trip in 28 hours.
6 Gallon fuel tank gives an easy 300 mile range.
A great, simple, inexpensive Do-Everything bike, I would not hesitate to ride to Alaska on any vintage KLR.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
The Island
Im lost.

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post
+ 1 to all the above
What about the V Strom, they seem to be more road worthy and occasional fun on dirt. Raymond one of the inmate here took the bike to SA and back no problem.
I had 90,000km on my 650 vstrom before I sold it. Great bike! I beat the living crap out of it too. It would be able to do what you wanted... Cheap to repair and easy to learn on for the DIYer. I never had a problem with mine - not ONE.
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I second everyone's comments on getting a nice KLX/R, they are great intro bikes that won't break the bank/leave you indebted for a long time. I own my bike and many people do as well (no payments) and the last thing you want is a new bike, payments, high insurance premiums and then to dump it (BMWs aren't cheap and don't crash that well).

I feel your pain and pined over a BMW for years...... Not joking took me 12 years before I bought one, albeit I am only 31 that was a long time to wait but I wanted to do it right and I have been on bikes before I was completely potty trained... or so my mom says.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 AM   #12
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
The first street legal bike I ever bought was a 2013 f800gs. It's sweet. Buy what you want. and make sure you can afford it. I did ride dirt bikes for several years as a kid though, so I knew how to ride a bit.
chris73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:01 AM   #13
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,660
I also would recommend putting a couple years on a KLR or Vstrom.
Insurance becomes a lot less money after you got some time under your belt.
And at 18, do you really want to be tied into the purchase price of a BMW? your priorities will change and you might want something different next month/year.

I recall when I was 18, I had no fear (which means I would tear up the BMW) and I had no wallet (which means I could not afford to fix the BMW after I tore it up).
At 18 I had a Yahama XT225. I rode that thing everywhere. I even used to put the old boyscout backpack on with camping gear and would make trips on it.
Still wish I had a bike like that at times (still wish I had the lower weight I had when I was 18)

these KLR's they are talking about here are not old junkers. Craigs list is always full of 2-3 year old bikes with very low miles. For sale by guys who fell in love with this website, then decided they really don't have the time to ride motorcycles.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #14
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 526
Cost / Benefit

IMO think about the difference, 4K for used KLR, DR or DL vs. 14K for new BMW. Also don't forget service, unless you are technically very proficient you will need more $$ BMW service. The Japanese bikes are much simpler to service and part of the ADV experience involves learning about and working on your bike.

With the money you save you could invest in rider training as well. It pays off much more than investing in the bike.
acap650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #15
headstaller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Go with what you like

All the above suggestions/observations are valid.
You need to have the mind set that you WILL fall and WILL spend $$ for fixing
It is whether you want to growth with the bike or start with a smaller bike and grow into your dream bike.....
$$ involved either way, you will have a good time regardless.
Good luck.
headstaller is offline   Reply With Quote