Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #16
The_Precious_Juice
Green Horn

Oddometer: 951
advice.

Greetings.

I'm fixing to pull purchase a adventure ride this late fall for some touring in 14.

For a while I wanted to get a high tech/ high performance MC, but decided the most logical thing would be a used 1st gen KLR, or a brand new DR650se. I'm just 163lbs, and 5'-8"

The advantages of buying used:
1. if you do not like it, you can sale it and lose only a little bit of money.
2. you have a good comparision for a single cyclinder vs a twin, or a more high performing MC.
3. Not that big of a deal if you drop the bike.
4. You may actually like the bike!
5. initial savings can be invested else where.
6. You get to learn the fundamentals on basic MC up keep.

__
Try and study up on all of the differnt types of MCs that are out there. This will give you a good idea of the bikes you are looking at.
For example, compare and contrast the base G650GS with the new R1200GS. Compare weight/power/value. Youtube is a great tool for consumers.

_
With the BM. It things go well, your're good. If bads things start happening, you're not good.
The KLR is more of a stable bike. The high performance is not there, but the abillity to trouble shot and maintain the bike at an afordable price is there. So there is the balance.
_
But, you should do what makes you feel good.
Go on youtube and check out Awesome Players. the F800GS is a great bike!

There are tons of KLR videos on-line. Many of them are of great help.

Good luck in your selection.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
Young Adventurer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Power View Post
What do you consider LONG riding ?
Yes, the KLR650 is up to the task.
I rode one with the stock seat to Deadhorse, Alaska in 30 hours.
return trip in 28 hours.
6 Gallon fuel tank gives an easy 300 mile range.
A great, simple, inexpensive Do-Everything bike, I would not hesitate to ride to Alaska on any vintage KLR.
I guess you could say tank to tank.. Ill ride till i need to fill up and take a break at that point, eat something, stretch.

Can you estimate how much gas money was for the alaska trip?
Young Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
Young Adventurer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
I second everyone's comments on getting a nice KLX/R, they are great intro bikes that won't break the bank/leave you indebted for a long time. I own my bike and many people do as well (no payments) and the last thing you want is a new bike, payments, high insurance premiums and then to dump it (BMWs aren't cheap and don't crash that well).

I feel your pain and pined over a BMW for years...... Not joking took me 12 years before I bought one, albeit I am only 31 that was a long time to wait but I wanted to do it right and I have been on bikes before I was completely potty trained... or so my mom says.
I definitely heard that! The insurance on my sport bike is $65. I would hate to have to pay over $100.

And i dont know how you waited 12 years! I do love the BMW's but i think the KLR will be best for me, i plan on getting a used one.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #19
Young Adventurer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I also would recommend putting a couple years on a KLR or Vstrom.
Insurance becomes a lot less money after you got some time under your belt.
And at 18, do you really want to be tied into the purchase price of a BMW? your priorities will change and you might want something different next month/year.

I recall when I was 18, I had no fear (which means I would tear up the BMW) and I had no wallet (which means I could not afford to fix the BMW after I tore it up).
At 18 I had a Yahama XT225. I rode that thing everywhere. I even used to put the old boyscout backpack on with camping gear and would make trips on it.
Still wish I had a bike like that at times (still wish I had the lower weight I had when I was 18)

these KLR's they are talking about here are not old junkers. Craigs list is always full of 2-3 year old bikes with very low miles. For sale by guys who fell in love with this website, then decided they really don't have the time to ride motorcycles.
I wouldnt tear up the bmw! I mean it wouldnt be sitting in the garage for weeks with no use, i dont have any other vehicle so it would be everyday use. had to ride in the pouring rain yesterday, not much fun but colorado doesnt get much rain so it wasnt too bad.

Also i do plan on getting a KLR, thanks to the people on here who really changed my thoughts. I love the idea of the KLR so much more, i will probably invest a lot of upgrades into it and i'm stoked!
Old 09-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #20
Young Adventurer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
Greetings.

I'm fixing to pull purchase a adventure ride this late fall for some touring in 14.

For a while I wanted to get a high tech/ high performance MC, but decided the most logical thing would be a used 1st gen KLR, or a brand new DR650se. I'm just 163lbs, and 5'-8"

The advantages of buying used:
1. if you do not like it, you can sale it and lose only a little bit of money.
2. you have a good comparision for a single cyclinder vs a twin, or a more high performing MC.
3. Not that big of a deal if you drop the bike.
4. You may actually like the bike!
5. initial savings can be invested else where.
6. You get to learn the fundamentals on basic MC up keep.

__
Try and study up on all of the differnt types of MCs that are out there. This will give you a good idea of the bikes you are looking at.
For example, compare and contrast the base G650GS with the new R1200GS. Compare weight/power/value. Youtube is a great tool for consumers.

_
With the BM. It things go well, your're good. If bads things start happening, you're not good.
The KLR is more of a stable bike. The high performance is not there, but the abillity to trouble shot and maintain the bike at an afordable price is there. So there is the balance.
_
But, you should do what makes you feel good.
Go on youtube and check out Awesome Players. the F800GS is a great bike!

There are tons of KLR videos on-line. Many of them are of great help.

Good luck in your selection.
Where to on your adventure? Cant wait to get out and be free even if only for a weekend, haha

I do lots of studying on the bikes, i did hours on the bmw's and had it in my head that i was gonna get one, but it would be better to get a used KLR for the reasons above! People say 85mph is too slow, i dont understand that.. i never go past 85 on my sport bike when i could go 100 easily. Maybe its different on a dual sport?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #21
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
85 mph on an adventure bike is plenty fast, too, especially off-road. :)
Old 09-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #22
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Have fun on a sweet KLR, you will be able to afford the farkles and have some cash to spare. I waited so long for the BMW because I knew I was going to dump some cash into it. I didn't want to buy a bike and have it sitting in stock trim. I think I am approaching 30k in the GS... Maybe I should actually add it all up?
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #23
Young Adventurer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Have fun on a sweet KLR, you will be able to afford the farkles and have some cash to spare. I waited so long for the BMW because I knew I was going to dump some cash into it. I didn't want to buy a bike and have it sitting in stock trim. I think I am approaching 30k in the GS... Maybe I should actually add it all up?
Ive already got a farkle list for the KLR, i'm hoping to get at least an extra thousand to just spend on farkles but its no rush for me yet. YET!

Great plan about the bmw.. It sucks waiting for something like that but i bet it was worth it in the end? I've waited 2 years, since i saw long way round with ewan mcgregor.. Great series by the way.