User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
Wildman OP
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,555
... and through the lava fields:

Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #17
Wildman OP
In my castle

.. and across the muddy plateaux:

Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 09-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #18
Wildman OP
In my castle

... and generally into what feels like the middle of nowhere so that the last thing that you expect to see, let alone catching you at a rate of knots, is ...

A damned bus!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
no matter how many times I see pictures from there I just cannot get over how desolate and beautiful it looks. Keep those awesome images coming. You could never post too many for me
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #20
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Great keep'em coming!!
KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #21
motorradrudi
tourguide

Oddometer: 350
spectacula!!!

Best greetings from Germany!
Rudi
motorradrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #22
Wildman OP
In my castle

Landamannalaugar is simply stunning. Without doubt, quite simply the most beautiful place I've ridden. Barren and stark for sure but hauntingly impressive. More traffic than Kjolur as it's within a day from Reykjavik but if you come to Iceland, come to this place.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #23
Wildman OP
In my castle

Two days across Iceland to get to Landmannalaugar and time to make a decision whether to head back through the central highlands on the F26 Sprengisandsleiđ or whether to head for the ring to the south and Jökulsárlón. We'd met a Dutch guy riding his bicycle on the Kjalvegur who'd told us that Kjalvegur was a "highway" compared to the Sprengisandsleiđ and that he, in turn, had met a Russian cyclist who'd had to carry his bike for 12kms due to sand on the F910 towards Askja, the route Daniel and I had considered. With the water likely to be rising due to the rain for the past day or two, it wasn't a difficult decision. We're here to enjoy the riding, not to push ourselves to the limit so it's back to the ring (a decision we are later pleased about on hearing the stories of a couple of German guys nearly drowning their bikes) and as if to reward us, the sun puts in a welcome appearance, drying off our wet tents.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #24
Wildman OP
In my castle

As we're packing away the next morning, the Spaniard camping next tent to me some 20 m away sticks his head of his tent, stretches and with a tired smile says, "You snore like a bitch, man!". s I've also noticed that Daniel seems to pitch his tent a little further away from mine each night.

We decide just to put on some miles for day five in the hope that we might be able to access the highlands from the east later in the week. We're truly in the 'tourist' zone and everywhere we stop is full with coaches of Asians. A couple of waterfalls at Seljalandsfoss:

and Skógafoss are the first highlight until we reach the shore at Vik in the forlorn hope of finding puffins (they were there but too far in the distance for pics without a zoom lens):

The glaciers coming down off the Vatnajökull ("River of Glaciers") icecap are very impressive, as is Jökulsárlón. Formed when a glacier that used to reach the ocean receded to form a lagoon, it's an eerie place with an atmosphere almost like a graveyard as the glacier 'dies':

Old 09-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #25
Wildman OP
In my castle

Very few pictures for day six. Shame as it was a fantastic days riding. Big Sur? Meh; go ride the "1" in South East Iceland and then cut over the F939 for a bit of gravel and mud before heading into Egilsstadir for skalafleki and fries for lunch:

Rode out across Snćfell to the new dam in the afternoon:

before pitching camp by the lake.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #26
Wildman OP
In my castle

Our last day and we're already just about back to where the ferry leaves. Over coffee and eggs at the local cafe, we bump into a local motorcyclist and ask for a recommendation for a good road to ride. He's on a Harley but seems like a good guy and he shows us his recommendation; the F917 in Héradsflói up to the north. This, it turns out, is the highest road in Iceland and an absolute gem; 20 miles of fast, flat gravel up the western side of Héradsflói and then 20 miles of up and down and round and about and across into Vopnafjörđur:

Old 09-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #27
Wildman OP
In my castle

Ben voila! C'est fait. Our route:

Seven fantastic days. If you're thinking about coming here; do it!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #28
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,884
Remarkable landscape. Thanks for the view.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #29
nanox14
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Fantastic

Amazing views you shared mate, trully a terrific ride and a place to spend an awesome week,, truly amazing, thanks.
nanox14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #30
02Deuce
Where next?

Oddometer: 10
Very, Very Nice! Thank you!
02Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote