User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #1
TheNorthernMonkey OP
Clueless n00b

Oddometer: 253
A Few Trips round Northumberland, England

Hi all, I'm new round here, and new to riding, so to get a few miles under my belt, I thought I'd travel to a few Medieval Ruins which are liberally scattered around here.

Northumberland was the location of choice for the English and Scots to fight for over 1000 years, so has plenty of sites to go around.

The first tour out was to Warkwarth Castle. I've not managed many pictures, as it was just a local ride out, and I got there just as it was closing up, but here is my XT125 infront of the gatehouse.

As A dedicated fair weather only rider, I'll be updating as soon as the weather is fair again :)

NM

TheNorthernMonkey screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 05:51 AM
TheNorthernMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:39 AM   #2
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,895
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
TheNorthernMonkey OP
Clueless n00b

Part 2 - Edlingham Castle.

It was looking a bit grim outside, after an earlier thunderstorm, but seemed to be brightening, so I decided to risk it for a biscuit. This one was a little more tricky to find than Warkworth, in a small village near Rothbury.

I had to park up near this church, which apparently has foundations dating from 1050. The slit windows in the tower are signs of its dual use, both a church, and a strong hold in the event of raiders.

The castle is only 2 minutes away, down a short path, to the castle, which was first a fortified house, which grew into a castle around 12 century, but fell into disrepair and disuse around the 17th C. as the threat of border raids diminished.

It really deserves better pictures than the crappy camera in my iPhone delivers.

TheNorthernMonkey screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 05:52 AM
Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
Great stuff! Keep it coming! Always good to see an interesting part of the England/Scots borderlands. The really knocked seven bells of !@#$% out of each other for a long time, didn't they? How are you finding the riding experience so far? What led you to get a bike and start going through the whole licensing process? How do you like the bike?
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
crowe2815
kenoath

Oddometer: 274
Keep em coming mate, photos look fine to me.
Not sure how you will go being a fair weather rider in England though, that will limit you to a couple of days a year wont it?
crowe2815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
Very cool.

Am I the only one expecting John Cleese to pop his head up over the side?

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Velocipede
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
[QUOTE=crowe2815;22298666]Keep em coming mate, photos look fine to me.

Keep em coming for sure.I'm an expat Geordie and really enjoy these pictures of my old stomping grounds.

John
Velocipede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
gvcrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Keep em coming mate it's my favourite part of the country I'm just sorry I can't spend more time in the north east
gvcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306

Welcome and keep em coming.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #10
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Nothing says Adventure like setting off across the countryside to find a Castle.
Zeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:17 AM   #11
TheNorthernMonkey OP
Clueless n00b

Unfortunately no new updates, I was out and about yesterday, but forgot my camera, but found some fantastic lanes that will definitely need a re-visit.

If the weather is clear next weekend, a visit up the coast to holy island and lindisfarne castle might be on the cards.

In reply to bladers questions. My dad has loads of mostly vintage bikes, and has done for as long as I can remember. He is an ex motorcycle cop so there have always been bikes about. I've no idea why I decided to get one, it was a bit of a rash decision, but I'm enjoying it.

I've got the first part of my test booked for a few weeks time, so hopefully can get it out the way soon, and get rid of the fugly L plates

TheNorthernMonkey screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 04:23 AM
Old 09-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
Osprey70
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hi Northern Monkey,
Glad to welcome you amongst the riding community. I have also only just started (18 months ago). Don't worry about the rain, it is just as fun as long as you are properly equipped. In any case, you should definitely go out occasionally in the rain because one day you will get caught out. And given sods law, that will probably be on roads you don't know etc... Therefore it is really much better to go out on wet roads beforehand to practise in a controlled environment. - just my two cents worth...
Really like the photos, keep them coming!
Osprey.
Osprey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
From one monkey to another the pictures are great and good luck with your test.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
TheNorthernMonkey OP
Clueless n00b

So the weather did clear a little, and I headed out for a short while this afternoon. If I'd realised how unpleasant riding in the wind would be, I probably wouldn't have bothered. However, in keeping with he castle theme, I headed towards Tynemouth Castle and Priory

The castle was built to guard the priory, and sits on a rocky outcrop. Protected on 3 sides by cliffs

The castle gatehouse dates from 1390.

The priory itself is much earlier with origins around the 6th century AD, although the remains are probably from about 500 years after then

TheNorthernMonkey screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 05:53 AM
Old 09-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Cool pics, keep em coming. I only got a 2-week trip in the Highlands and loved every day. The rain days I was glad I wasn't on a bike but gear up. I live in the desert and I've only done a few rides without needing the rain gear this year. Get yourself a little waterproof duffle on there to carry things. I wouldn't go anywhere on your turf without rain gear
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote