Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #136
MadeInBologna
n00b

Oddometer: 5
[QUOTE=AntiHero;22471114]Ducati just released the video summarizing my (previous) Coast to Coast adventure.

Absolutely awesome!
MadeInBologna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #137
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
... And this is the point, this is the point of everything I've shared: ordinary people can do some pretty extraordinary things. That's the definition, my definition, of AntiHero: extraordinary things can be done by ordinary people. (I don't think extraordinary people even exist.)...
This is something that I've thought about this past year. I have a friend down the street who is an ordinary person. In fact if you meet him you might find him a little odd. He's short, he stutters a bit, and his hands are usually dirty. It's not until you start talking to him about mechanical topics do you realize that he is wicked smart. He's a machinist by trade but since he was little he was always reading, always studying something so it's not just his trade that he's knowledgeable in but a lot of other topics too.

Since I was little I never really had any professional athlete, rockstar, or actor/actress as heroes. I always thought that people like my dad who worked with their hands and created things were cooler than that.

A older gentleman from church makes violins in his spare time. He's also made canoes and canoe paddles.

My dad is terrible with mechanics and asked me how to add transmission fluid to his jeep but he's incredible with so many other trades. He's a master electrician, does woodworking as a hobby, welds, does plumbing, and all with patience and a sense of craftsmanship.

Robert Pirsig was just an ordinary person out for a ride on his motorcycle with his son trying to find answers to some questions and look what kind of movement he started.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #138
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
lurw and fifthcircle: you're both right. It's slightly absurd for me when I meet people who have followed my ride report(s). Sometimes there's a 'holy moment', but more often than not, a 'deflation' occurs. I can see it in their eyes and shoulders; I can hear the banal disappointment in their voice, the droop in their eyes. Not sure what they expected, but when it's discovered that I'm a normal guy, well, it's kind of uncomfortable for me and unrewarding for them.

Those who know me and those who think they know me--hell, they have all kinds of contradictory opinions. And maybe all of them (maybe none of them?) are correct. I'm an INTP, perhaps too aloof to correct anyone, too theoretical to care.

But for everyone who's read what I've written prior to this thread, everyone who's came to the conclusion that I'm special in some way, here's the real deal:
I'm not. I'm no hero. I'm no super-anything. I'm just a normal guy. I wasn't born unique. In fact, I've always been kind of weak and deformed. I went through some hard shit, but nearly everyone has. And this is the point, this is the point of everything I've shared: ordinary people can do some pretty extraordinary things. That's the definition, my definition, of AntiHero: extraordinary things can be done by ordinary people. (I don't think extraordinary people even exist.)

And for all those who've met me (or might) in person, I'm guarded and not always revealing. There's something inhuman and uncomfortable, and mostly not in a good way. If I appear artificial, it's not because I'm insincere, it's just that I'm not sure how to behave. But when I write I expose my thoughts with a clarity that's a near-direct-mental-transfer. Those who read what I've written are, momentarily, inside my mind. And for that brief duration I'm able to speak directly in a way that most people in the 'real' world never communicate. I rarely (never?) feel comfortable enough to harness that in person, but this is me, these words on a page are more me than any video or in-person conversation could ever reveal.
Great video and very well put, but you are inspirational. You are doing things most of us riders keep putting off because of one excuse or another. I did it again this year because I started a new business, but I figured out another way, I am selling everything that is not important, other hobbies, anything I haven't used in 90 days, all to fund an adventure like yours.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #139
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Cool video. That was really cool of Ducati to invite you to that roll out. I for one really enjoy your perspective and writing. You have far better writing skills than I ever hope to have. You do have a gift for putting your thoughts into words not just about yourself but the world around you. It is a humble and realistic view of the world.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #140
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,379
Quote:
lurw and fifthcircle: you're both right.
Damn...I was afraid that came out wrong. I actually was happy to see that you were "normal". I love it when I meet someone that is well known, and they are just an average dude.

Example: I'm a huge Reverend Horton Heat fan. After a show about 2yrs ago, I met Jim "Reverend" Heath and Jimbo (bassist). Jimbo came off a little fake, or at the least, had his rock star face on. Jim Heath, on the other hand, was very approachable and laid back. I was happy to see that.
-Kurt

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #141
Barracuda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I'm very curous about one of the photos from earlier in your post at Ducati HQ, and could not find were anyone else had asked.

What is a Ducati "1177 DS-R"? That is not a model I am familiar with.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98307946@N06/9727357851/
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #142
Back in da saddle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I enjoyed the video and your adventure Dennis. You look really good on the bike at COTA.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us antihero.
Back in da saddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #143
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Thanks again, guys. Great to get such positive feedback and always, always great to hear that my little journey here provides inspiration and encouragement.

Barracuda--that there is a very special Ducati (I, too, am surprised no one asked about it). It's sort of a private project Jon LaForte of Ducati NA is/has been working on.

More info:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/128-bike...1177-ds-r.html

Great to hear of your plans, Rico--I know you've been dying to go on your own trip for quite some time.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #144
Bluuu
n00b

First off, sorry this is my first post. I suppose I should have gone and looked around the forum to see where a new guy goes to introduce himself, but I didn't.

PNWriders is my usual home, but I started lurking here several months ago so I could read some ride reports, partly for entertainment and partly to learn from others experiences in preparation for an eventual ride I have in mind. Along the way I found myself sucked into Anti Hero's journey across the country. When I saw he was headed to the pnw, I had to create an account so I could post up.

Dennis,

I don't know what your plans are, or if you even have plans. I certainly hope not. Riding is best without plans. I just want to extend an invitation. Well, if you get back to Seattle that is.

If you need or want a free place to park your bones, you're welcome to use the sailboat. It's not as nice as the yacht you had back east, but it's a boat and any time on a boat is good. Personally, I'd have no problem with you staying here at the house, but it's a cluttered little family affair and if it were me I'd take the boat. Wait, actually, sometimes I do. Unfortuately I no longer keep it in Ballard. It's up at Everett marina, but the marina has all the conveniences including some tasty food and drink dockside.

Beyond that, we occasionally get a sunny day in October, so if you like we could go for a ride. Well, that is if your italian supermodel wouldn't mind being seen with a little Japanese tramp. Shhhh...don't tell her I called her a tramp. She's always treated me well and I do like her. We have a few decent roads up here. All one has to do is decide what's for lunch, and that decides which road to take.

Or if you get tired of riding (not fucking likely), maybe the weather will be cooperative and we could scrounge up a 12 pack and something to wash it down and go sailing for an afternoon.

Or if all you want is for me to show you my favorite coffee stand or greek hole in the wall, or whatever. Or if you don't need anything or your schedule is already filled, no worries. I just wanted to extend the invitation.

Oh, and about not knowing how to act or what to say sometimes...you're not alone. Thankfully that's one of the things about riding. Once we put our earplugs in and our helmets on, we don't have to talk. The riding is the communication.

Enjoy the PNW... and welcome to my adopted home.

Edit: oh, if you need to reach me just pm me and ill get you some contact info. Which reminds me, I need to go poke around this joint and see if there's a pm function after I find me a beer.

Bluuu screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 07:44 PM
Bluuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #145
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Bluuu--If I get back up to Seattle (I'm hoping), I'm definitely hitting you up. I've got a busy next few days, then I'll check the weather and see if I can swing it. Sounds f'in perfect.

Speaking of Seattle....here's some pics of me with my bud Alex as we crossed the ferry and headed to Whidbey. What the hell is that guy staring at?

Probably the most dangerous part of the trip. 5 lifejackets in a locked cabinet.

Not to worry. When you've got a raft, who needs a life jacket?

Balls. That shit's locked up, too. Very amusing.

Tonight I've got the slowest web connection I've ever had. Thanks, Super 8! I won't even get into it....hoping this shit posts.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #146
Bluuu
n00b

That guy? He's looking at a plane. Or a seagull catching a lift on the ferry. Or maybe he's just f'n stoned. We legalized that shit ya know.

5 whole life jackets? Wow, you musta caught the safety conscious ferry.

Oh, btw, that lifeboat ain't for you.

Changing subjects... since you're a foodie, or maybe just a hungry fucker... If you're still in Portland...

1) find the Screen Door. About 20 or 30 blocks east of downtown.

The bottom fucking line baby...

Pralined bacon

After that...

Chicken n waffles... yes, that's a steak knife stuck down through THREE southern fried chicken breasts so they don't fall off that waffle/plate. Yes, that's a single order, so you might as well ask for a to go box when you order your food.

Just in case you feel like emulating that very happy happy happy 7 year old in the background, that's a sausage corndog about 3" in diameter (foreshortening accounted for, notice the size of that 7 yr olds hands in relation to the thickeness of that "corndog") served with... wait for it... maple syrup of course.

Oh, it's a long wait. Put your name in with the hostess, then squeeze into the bar, order a bloody Mary, then wander back outside and wait your turn.

2) lol, like you have f'n room, bwahaha...

Go to voodoo donuts for a maple bar. Wait, did I mention the maple bars are topped with a strip of bacon?

May your belly forgive me.

Bluuu screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 10:42 PM
Old 10-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #147
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Whidbey is cool. I had no idea how many friggin islands existed off the coast of Washington. If there was some zombie apocalypse, this is the place to be. Also not a bad place to ride.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #148
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

I think I just gained 4 lbs just looking at those pics, Bluuu. Sick and twisted.

I had a seared PBJ with peppers and bacon today. Jesus. The Portland food scene is fucking nuts.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #149
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Built up a good appetite on our way up from Seattle. And Mr. __ had some ribs waiting.

I whipped up some slathering sauce using blackberry jam, etc.

Shook up some cocktails with some blackberry moonshine:

And a good time was had by all.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #150
Bluuu
n00b

Quote:
I had a seared PBJ with peppers and bacon today. Jesus. The Portland food scene is fucking nuts.
That's some seriously messed up... uh, I don't even know, but it's messed up. I thought about mentioning the grilled cheese sammich stand in downtown Portland, but now I see you found the "food court" on your own. So...

nevermind.

But please... watch yourself. Those smelly hippies on their bikes are a real menace to civilization.

Edit: holy crap those are some wicked looking ribs.

Bluuu screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 12:43 AM