Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #151
ijg5
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Enjoying this thread, same as your last one, great video to.
ijg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #152
vicster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
What the hell is that guy staring at?

Well, he might be staring at a plane or whatever, but you probably noticed the walkways above where he's standing so tourists can get the whole experience, take pictures, etc? Well sometimes tourists of the female persuasion, especially those from foreign lands, like to wear short skirts when they travel, and the wind does blow a lot out there on the Sound....
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #153
martīn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
And for all those who've met me (or might) in person, I'm guarded and not always revealing. There's something inhuman and uncomfortable, and mostly not in a good way. If I appear artificial, it's not because I'm insincere, it's just that I'm not sure how to behave. But when I write I expose my thoughts with a clarity that's a near-direct-mental-transfer. Those who read what I've written are, momentarily, inside my mind. And for that brief duration I'm able to speak directly in a way that most people in the 'real' world never communicate. I rarely (never?) feel comfortable enough to harness that in person, but this is me, these words on a page are more me than any video or in-person conversation could ever reveal.
I can relate to that, very well put!
And finally you are back Dennis, with a new rr, and itīs a fīing pleasure!
Your pics and lyrics are some of(if not) the absolute best - subscribed!
Take care and drive safe.

Ps: Truly enjoyed that video Ducati made with you!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #154
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,143
Vicster: Didn't think of that, but you might be 100% correct there.

Mart'n: Thanks so much. I'll try to keep it comin'.

More pics & stories to come....stay tuned.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #155
Tommy J
Union Dockworker

Oddometer: 86
Post #147
Good to see you made Whidbey and found one of the best straight aways out to Keystone.
'75 HONDA CB400F
Tommy J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:03 AM   #156
MattW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
I'm in early(ish) this time :)

Read Coast to Coast in one hit yesterday - a truly great read and some amazing photography. I'm really looking forward to following your latest Adventure.

Your pictures and description of hwy1 brought back good memories. My better half and I did LA - SF (only in a rental car) a few years ago, taking our time and enjoying the experience (tried not to be too much of a road block but I was probably one of the annoying tourists!). We detoured to Yosemite for a few days and spent five days in SF at the end - what a great city - I must go back. I'm from the UK and this was our first and thus far, only, time in the States but we'll be back. I'd love to do the north west, say Seattle down to SF (got to spend some more time in SF!) - it just seemed to get better the further north we went.

Looking forward to seeing your trip unfold - have a good one!

Best
Matt
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #157
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

The weather wasn't exactly spectacular on Whidbey, but we did get some riding in. Felt a lot like I'd imagine riding in Wales or Ireland. Foggy, verdant, and lots of cold coastline.

My gracious hosts showed me around the more popular places on the island...

...and some not so public places.

No pics were allowed, so even if my camera accidentally 'pocket pictured' anything, only the NSA and I will see them. Very, very cool to see the safety-wire jobs on a C-130 engine from 4" away, though.

We only had a day more of riding before I had to return to LA. Put the two to bed and headed to Ducati Seattle the following day.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:12 AM   #158
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've had a little exhaust 'burble' at idle, so I dropped off the Pani at Ducati Seattle prior to flying out. There were a couple customers in the shop and one recognized me....turns out he bought his Panigale and is/will be riding from Seattle to NJ because, well, if I can do it anyone can. Haven't heard from him since, though....

Sky was cool--and very accommodating--but doesn't show up on film....

She let me store my gear, which totally saved me from having to fly in my leather pants/jacket and with helmet.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #159
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

I had a lot to take care of in LA, but the most exciting was rerecording the audio for the Ducati-short. Anyone who's ever worked in film knows (I did not), but you have to shoot for HOURS to get the footage you need. Most isn't used. The airport scene, for instance, took a good 45 minutes of walking up and down stairs, picking up my bag off the conveyor belt, then setting it back up and doing it again. Walk out the door, walk out the door again, one more time and oh, maybe once more. And that's the easy part. The hard part is talking into a camera. Mental stuttering occurs because you're not just thinking about what you're going to say, you're thinking about how hundreds or thousands of people might interpret or react to your words. And sometimes you say really stupid things, and sometimes you just blank. It's still kind of fun, though, and a truly fascinating process that gave me a lot of respect for all the work that has to be done before, during and after (oh the editing).

Also had to prep and ship off (sadness) my race car.

I've accepted it's not going to be just a year or two before my brain can handle the Gs. I very good friend of mine (who's also been my boss for several years), has always dreamed of racing. He's done a couple of schools and even came out to visit me at ThunderHill. But I could never convince him to get a track car, no matter how hard I tried. But I always saw the gleam in his eye and the child-like enthusiasm in his voice whenever we talked about racing. His commitment to others has always came first, and any time he was in a position to pull the trigger, he always preferred to invest in his family instead of himself. He's done a great deal for me over the years, too, so I decided to just give him the car with an open offer to buy it whenever he would like to. He paid the shipping and off to a good home it went. My reward was knowing I was making one of his dreams come true. His first track day was last weekend and he mopped the field. Makes me feel good.

But it didn't feel so good after my last drive.

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-11-2013 at 01:20 AM
Old 10-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #160
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then back to Seattle:

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-11-2013 at 01:29 AM
Old 10-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #161
///Monster
Does it have wheels?

Oddometer: 56
Incredible generosity! Your boss is lucky to have a friend like you.

When I was in college I had a friend lend me his NSX for the weekend just because. I can honestly say that event changed the way I view some of my material possessions. It's wonderful to share something with someone that is deserving.

Bravo Dennis. Bravo
Old 10-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #162
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Very nice of you to do for your boss/friend.

I wish I could do the same for a couple people who have helped me out through the years.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #163
Bluuu
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Then back to Seattle...
The ocean to starboard? Uhh... are you sure you got on the plane to Seattle and not the one to Puerto Vallarta?
Bluuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #164
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluuu View Post
The ocean to starboard? Uhh... are you sure you got on the plane to Seattle and not the one to Puerto Vallarta?
Was wondering who'd catch that. Busted....that was the only in-flight pic I could find, though.

Ok, on with it. After landing I headed back to Whidbey (rental car, bike was still in shop), but not before stopping by Uwajimaya grocery. Holy shit. Almost reason enough to move to Seattle. One of the best markets ever for finding things I rarely (or never) was able to find in SF, starting with the rarest mullet species of all: the Tattoo'd Holly Hobby Mullet with Chester Cheetah Purse*:

MMMM: horse flavored vegetable oil

And what I came looking for:

The sashimi selection was enormous--and I even scored Shisho pepper leaves!

*For those who perused mulletsgalore.com when it was up (it's available on archive now), I bought a used bike (BMX) off of none other than Classic Mullet #1.

1. classic mullet
This specimen is a clear demonstration of a classic mullet. Note how this mullet proudly displays his exotic plumage while in a menacing stance -- classic indeed.

The mesh tank-top, digital watch, silver chain, and molestache all add points to this fine specimen's overall look and mulletude.

Mulletude: 10
Aggressiveness: 10
Hobbies: football games, wife beating, picking fights
Sightings: everywhere, there's no escape (see eyes)
Favorite Band: Steve Miller Band

He actually was a super nice guy. Worked with him for about a year. And no, he didn't drive a Camaro (he rolled in an Army Green Gran Torino).

AntiHero screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 11:49 AM
Old 10-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #165
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

"Why the fuss over shisho leaves and wasabi oil, you ask?" Well, I wasn't going to let Alex slave away in the kitchen alone. Made it up to his house in time to catch the sun dropping:

After a few drinks it was time to bust out the Ginzu knives. On the menu:

Fatty Tuna Nigiri

Spicy tuna over tempura shisho leaves

Grilled Lemon Grass Chicken

And the fresh salmon Alex grilled:

'nuff said:

If you look closely up two pics you'll see not just Guinness, but Sake and Moonshine, which made the game "Cards Against Humanity" one of the best I've ever played. Speaking of looking closely....

Overall, a killer fookin' night.

Alex was deploying in just a day or so. I had trouble imagining what it was really like to leave your wife and kid for several months. I could imagine having to be Ducati-less for that long of a duration, and that was horrible enough. The dude has accomplished more in his years on earth than most, though, which means he's no stranger to sacrifice. Still, though, a lot of what we hear about in the news is sacrificing life and limb, but we rarely ever hear about the monthly/weekly/daily/hourly sacrifice the members of our armed forces (and their families) make every time they leave. I was honored to be a part of their lives for the few days I spent there and have great respect for that guy above.

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 11:24 AM