Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #181
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Sorry for the delay, I've spent the last six hours trying to calculate how many Visa Bonus Points Wells Fargo will bestow upon me if I combine my Safeway Club Card rewards with all the Platinum Nordstrom Spendership rebates I've accumulated over the past several holiday seasons. I think I'll at least be able to get a set of Beats headphones if I spend $80,000 on Shell gas within three months and waive a 29.9% daily percentage rate. Anyhow....

Tallbastid, no apology necessary. Very well put. I often found it a cruel joke that, to cope with the pressures of a high stress job, I (and a lot of those around me) ended up wasting a lot of what we made just to deal with the stress. I always thought it had to do solely with the stress, but never thought about the methods to cope coming also from not following our passions....

"Many of our issues stem from the methods we use to cope with not following our passions."

KHVol:
The first book I ever read that I seriously identified with was Illusions by Richard Bach. I haven't read it in, oh, 20 years, so it might be corney or it might not, but the prelude at the beginning of the novel ranks as one of my all time favorites. Probably a retarded thing to start with a recommendation of something written 'recently' and then say that I think most that's been written since 1945 (and anything by Jane Austen) is shit, but that's my opinion and if anyone wants to argue, send me a PM. (Just don't expect a reply. )

Short stories:
To Room Nineteen, by Doris Lessing

Signs and Symbols, Nabokov (Nuh BAH kov or Nuh-BOCK-off, typically mispronounced NABA kov).

Novels:
Tonio Kroger, Thomas Mann

The Myth of Sisyphus, Camus
The Stranger, Camus

Peter Pan by Barrie, which is a near-perfect example of Nietzsche's Zarathustra. (Peter Pan is a remorseless (and 'innocent') homicidal maniac. Bet you didn't know that!)

Invitation to a Beheading, Nabokov

Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Victory, Joseph Conrad

The Metamorphosis, Kafka

Philosophy:
Principles of Philosophy, Descartes

On the Genealogy of Morals, Nietzsche

That's a good start.

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 08:25 AM
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:11 AM   #182
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
The first book I ever read that I seriously identified with was Illusions by Richard Bach. I haven't read it in, oh, 20 years, so it might be corney or it might not, but the prelude at the beginning of the novel ranks as one of my all time favorites. Probably a retarded thing to start with a recommendation of something written 'recently' and then say that I think most that's been written since 1945 (and anything by Jane Austen) is shit, but that's my opinion and if anyone wants to argue, send me a PM. (Just don't expect a reply. )

Short stories:
To Room Nineteen, by Doris Lessing

Signs and Symbols, Nabokov (Nuh BAH kov or Nuh-BOCK-off, typically mispronounced NABA kov).

Novels:
Tonio Kroger, Thomas Mann

The Myth of Sisyphus, Camus
The Stranger, Camus

Peter Pan by Barrie, which is a near-perfect example of Nietzsche's Zarathustra. (Peter Pan is a remorseless (and 'innocent') homicidal maniac. Bet you didn't know that!)

Invitation to a Beheading, Nabokov

Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Victory, Joseph Conrad

The Metamorphosis, Kafka

Philosophy:
Principles of Philosophy, Descartes

On the Genealogy of Morals, Nietzsche

That's a good start.
Thanks, AntiHero..will be sampling these. It's dangerous to tell people what you read, they will know what is in your head
Old 10-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #183
flyinturbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Thanks, AntiHero..will be sampling these. It's dangerous to tell people what you read, they will know what is in your head

Nah, they only know what you've put in your head....
flyinturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #184
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Illusions by Richard Bach. I haven't read it in, oh, 20 years, .
Ditto, still on my shelf waiting to be re-read.
"One" was also provocative.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #185
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
But I always saw the gleam in his eye and the child-like enthusiasm in his voice whenever we talked about racing. His commitment to others has always came first, and any time he was in a position to pull the trigger, he always preferred to invest in his family instead of himself. He's done a great deal for me over the years, too, so I decided to just give him the car with an open offer to buy it whenever he would like to. He paid the shipping and off to a good home it went. My reward was knowing I was making one of his dreams come true. His first track day was last weekend and he mopped the field. Makes me feel good.

But it didn't feel so good after my last drive.
That is really something. A deep bow in your direction, sir.

Quote:
There is a pleasure that's intrinsic to having children, but how much of that pleasure comes from the biology of maternalism/paternalism (think oxytocin), how much of it comes from the experience itself and how much of it comes from the satisfaction of fulfilling duty? Dunno, that's a question for every person probably shouldn't ask themselves. If it makes you happy, go with it.
I think it's very well worth asking Self the answer to that particular question. If we're going to do something that goes a long way to defining who we are and what our legacy is in life, we'd best be pretty up to speed on our motivation/inspiration for the decisions leading up to it. For one thing, when we truly get into the dirt of who we are, we tend to change our thinking and grow into the next phase of life. I'm more a fan of informed, conscious happiness than blissful, ignorant happiness. YMMV.

Quote:
Whatever the case, it’s not depressing to me. I’ll still continue to create and attempt. The absence of hope doesn’t negatively impact my desire to try—and it certainly doesn’t devalue the importance of hard work or the significance of having balls.
Is it really an absence of hope or merely a more pragmatic understanding that a single person is unlikely to make huge, visible changes for the better? I've found that the older I get, the more I understand the power of creation behind our thoughts. The more I learn to think powerful thoughts, the more hopeful I become.

Quote:
positive outcomes and overall satisfaction are only abundant when near the 'halos' of individuals pursuing their own peculiar forms of happiness and fulfillment.
I completely agree. The real hope, then, comes from enabling as many members of society as possible to pursue those peculiar and disparate dreams.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #186
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Misquoted my prior reply....updated to give credit for your question. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinturbo View Post
Nah, they only know what you've put in your head....
Touche!

All great points, Trane. I think a pragmatic understanding is typically synonymous with an absence of the kind of gleeful hope most people have about the future when they're younger.

"The real hope, then, comes from enabling as many members of society as possible to pursue those peculiar and disparate dreams."

Agreed--and I think the best way to enable is to lead by example.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #187
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
"The real hope, then, comes from enabling as many members of society as possible to pursue those peculiar and disparate dreams."

Agreed--and I think the best way to enable is to lead by example.
You're doing your part, I assure you. A doff of the cap to you, squire.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #188
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok, so gotta get this R/R caught up! Made it back to Seattle (for the 4th time?).

I had a work event in SF, so in and out of SeaTac I went. I was jonesing to be back on my bike and very happy to see a sea of red in Ducati Seattle's Garage:

Met a bunch of the Ducati Seattle crew, but the whole time I was away I received regular updates from this rad girl (how many dealers send proactive updates?):

Thanks, Sky! You rock! Drinks on me next time I'm in Seattle. Hopefully you'll have that Stealth Black 1199 and we can go for a ride (before the drinks). When I originally called I had a couple requests....heat shield update (what was I thinking--it's cold as hell up here), and check out an intermittent issue I have with a high idle. Even though I called them with only like a day or two's notice, Sky said "no problem, bring it in and even if you're flying out of town, we'll take care of your bike for you."

And thanks for the shirt!

When I got back (after both LA and SF), I met up with the President and GM, Don Beck, who came out and introduced himself, Zack, Brett and John. John took me back and showed me their skunk works Panigale that recently set a motorcycle lap record at PIR. Sick!

I got to see her naked, too:

Notice the scratches on the swingarm. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, with a little bit of ecu tuning the Panigale snaps new chains. Not just sick, but twisted, too.

Oh yes--another logistical problem I had? What to do with my riding gear. (Ha, love to see how the TSA would react to that--go ahead, just try and pat my armored ass down) or do I try to carry my pants and helmet, along with my bag, and expect to get on a plane? Sky solved that problem, too....Ducati Seattle has a fairly large gear check area, allowing me to travel through the airport without looking like Mad Max.

Oh yes, as I rolled out of their garage I wasn't sure which way to go to get out onto the street. Sensing my disorientation, one of the tech dudes came up to help. This is the dialogue that followed:

"Where you going?"
"Not sure."
"Well, you heading ___ or ___?"
"I dunno."
"Well, where you staying?"
"Umm, no idea."
"What do you mean you have no idea?"
"I don't know where I'll be staying tonight, I'll have to figure it out. Street is that way?"
[Points]
"Thanks!"

Reminded of how relaxing it is to have absolutely no clue where I am or what I'm doing.

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 10:18 AM
Old 10-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #189
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
You're doing your part, I assure you. A doff of the cap to you, squire.
Much obliged, amigo!
Old 10-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #190
Tommy J
Dockworker

Oddometer: 85
This week is shaping up to be the final final for a week of dry roads here in Seattle before the rainy season. So where are you off to next?.
'75 HONDA CB400F
Tommy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #191
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

I wanted to meet up with a couple other inmates while in Seattle, but I spent almost no time there. When I finally returned, a storm was coming in, so down to Portland I headed. 'Cept the storm came a little earlier than it should have:

My Sidi rain suit started leaking, then disintegrated, and my boots (even though I'd waterproofed them and my gloves, only stayed dry for about an hour. There's a reason why the Pac NW is so damn green!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #192
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

So ok, the rain was pretty wet, but all things considered, I was doing pretty well. After a couple photos and a leak in the bushes (and a dude who approached me with a can of soda (not while I was taking a leak)), I was off.

And those Gilles rearsets I keep speaking so highly of (not), well, they decided to seize up again on my way from Seattle to Portland. Couldn't get it out of 2nd, and then stuck was I in 3rd. Got it moving again on the side of the freeway, but only into 5th. After braving semis 5 feet away, I settled on 4th. I'd lost the ability to shift before (at Sonoma Raceway), so I had some experience starting in 6th gear. Merging into a line of 18 wheelers, in the rain, from zero mph in 4th gear was a little daunting, but with almost zero wheel or clutch slip, all was well!

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 09:42 PM
Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #193
Tommy J
Dockworker

Oddometer: 85
Riding in the rain is just a normal deal here in the PNW and looks like your taking a fair share of it. So are you done riding up here this year?. Just back from a week in Santa Barbara visiting our son and discovering some of the local roads for next time without a cage. That is some great country up around Foxen Canyon Rd. and SR 154.
'75 HONDA CB400F
Tommy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #194
Bluuu
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Yeah, the rain ain't no thing. But then oct/nov come along and... the leaves fall off the trees, the leaves cover the roads, the leaves get rained on, the leaves get slimey. Ugh. Oh well, at least then you have the wet, slimey leaf covered roads to yourself.
Bluuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #195
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy J View Post
Riding in the rain is just a normal deal here in the PNW and looks like your taking a fair share of it. So are you done riding up here this year?. Just back from a week in Santa Barbara visiting our son and discovering some of the local roads for next time without a cage. That is some great country up around Foxen Canyon Rd. and SR 154.
Don't want to spoil the surprise about my current location. :)

And I do miss both the roads and the weather in SoCal. I don't miss all the cops, though. It's as if the roads in OR and WA aren't patrolled at all. The only officers I ran into (at a gas station) were uber cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluuu View Post
Yeah, the rain ain't no thing. But then oct/nov come along and... the leaves fall off the trees, the leaves cover the roads, the leaves get rained on, the leaves get slimey. Ugh. Oh well, at least then you have the wet, slimey leaf covered roads to yourself.
While riding from MotoCorsa to my 'home', I did get to experience a near-instant, no-warning Oregon baptism. Pulled over to get under cover so I could snap a quick video: