Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #241
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Ouch.

There's no suggestion of you being ungrateful whatsoever, mate - it's a free(ish) country and YMMV etc. Likewise, I hope you don't think I'm coming across as a defensive asshole, when I ask whether this unfortunate situation could have possibly arisen due to the unusual way in which the R30 arrived in your life?

I can only theorize, but might it be that the usual hours of online geekery and asking around that most of us (myself included) perform before even the smallest part or accessory purchase, were skipped? And that, in this instance, the following points listed on the website and in the catalog were only noted after your gear took its first serious bath?
  • 100% waterproof main body with 6-point pack compression
  • Internal taped seam liner
  • 2 x zipped outer pockets (water-resistant)
  • YKK water-resistant zips.

Hopefully the reply I sent after you contacted me about this, explained the reasons why (as with the one on the top of your US-20) these pockets are only ever claimed to be water-resistant. But regardless, I am genuinely gutted to hear that your stuff got messed up in one of our packs – especially the irreplaceable sketches in your book – and completely understand your urge to vent.

I am also more than a little concerned by your experience of the main compartment being only “95% waterproof”. There is no way the main compartment should allow rain in. So, if this one leaks, please send it back to us and a replacement will be issued, because it must be defective.

That said, do let me know if my theory is off the mark and I'll be sure to make things clearer on the site. I will admit to whacking those R30 related superlatives into the description, but - in my defense - I was only paraphrasing!

RiDE magazine 31 Best Motorcycle Backpacks shoot-out.

Now where’s that *wraps knuckles with crowbar* smiley at?...

... Oh well, guess this one will have to do:

Cheers!

Michael
Great post!
CharlestonADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #242
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Sup, Michael--I never received your email response. ???

I'll take responsibility for foolishly thinking that any zipper is going to be waterproof. However, the statement: "The Kriega R30 is widely acclaimed as the best 100% waterproof motorcycle backpack in the world" isn't ambiguous. Even "The best waterproof motorcycle backpack available" that's currently on the Kriega site should either 1) have a footnote ("pockets are not part of the backpack."); 2) employ an adverb to modify the adjective--or 3) (booya!) let's work together on a totally 100% STORMPROOF backpack. :)

With all that said, the backpack is still fookin' amazing....picking it up with one hand I always think before swinging it onto my shoulders, "400 miles with this on my back is going to HURT," but once on gravity's suspended. Whether hiking around Craters of the Moon trying to get great photos or standing in the parking lot of a gas station washing a beef-jerky lunch down with coconut water, it's so god damned comfortable I never think to take it off. 100% AntiHero Fatigue-resistant stamp of approval: ABSOLUTELY!

For anyone contemplating motorcycle packs, I still would say technicalities above, you won't find anything available that's better. Just take some simple precautions and a couple of ziploc bags when riding through tempest.

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 08:31 AM
AntiHero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #243
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

With technicalities out of the way, there's a lot going on under the surface of this R/R that I can't wait to share. There's a lot of bitchin' things happening (most of which will be reported on), but I'm anguishing under blockades of stress, commitments and pressure that result in an extremely limited amount of time to function. (e.g. waking up at 7:40 needing to pee, logging in in my underwear, (one of the joys of working from home) and finally lifting up the toilet seat to piss at 11:15. 15 hours later I'm still in the same chair, but managed to find some pants. No place to stay tomorrow....that's on my 'list of things to do but aren't done yet'--and god damn it I have to pee again.

I did just receive an uplifting message that relieves some of the stress, puts things into perspective, and has me looking forward to riding into the sunset tomorrow:

"Your bike stands out in pictures more than anything else does. It holds it's own, even in front of the most beautiful backdrop. In my next life I want to come back as a Ducati."

Brilliant.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #244
tgroenbeck
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
For anyone contemplating motorcycle packs, I still would say technicalities above, you won't find anything available that's better. Just take some simple precautions and a couple of ziploc bags when riding through tempest.
If you want a really waterproof backpack, search for Ortlieb. They have roll top bags which you can take swimming. I used one for 20 years with my bicycle for commuting and it is still like new. Only drawback is they are not fashionable and don't have all these extra pockets. ArcTeryx was also selling the Naos backpacks in different sizes, but they discontinued them. You may find a used one on eBay. Now on my BMW I use Touratech aluminum (adventure) panniers which are easier to fill, waterproof, and huge, probably not an option for your Ducati.
tgroenbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #245
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgroenbeck View Post
If you want a really waterproof backpack, search for Ortlieb. They have roll top bags which you can take swimming. I used one for 20 years with my bicycle for commuting and it is still like new. Only drawback is they are not fashionable and don't have all these extra pockets. ArcTeryx was also selling the Naos backpacks in different sizes, but they discontinued them. You may find a used one on eBay. Now on my BMW I use Touratech aluminum (adventure) panniers which are easier to fill, waterproof, and huge, probably not an option for your Ducati.
I've seen Ortlieb before and used something similar. Waterproof: yes. Comfortable and functional....not so much. Riding with all your possessions on your back, weight distribution is the first priority and Kriega kicks ass there. On the road today it rained again which was great because in the process I came up with a simple solution that I should even be able to make myself that would work with any backpack. First I'd better use google to see if anyone's done it before....

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming!

I checked out of the Dirtbag Inn I'd been staying in and for not much more found this place that was available for the rest of my stay in Portland.

The previous place smelled like it'd been used 30 days straight for Craigslist encounters, so the sunflowers were a welcomed sight:

With the sun shining and my bike purring I set out to explore the best Portland has to offer: FOOD!

And just like that I began eating my way around Portland:

(Mmmm, snail.)
Old 10-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #246
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Bone Marrow?

I have been very curious about it for a while.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #247
MyMinion
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Gasp!,that food looks amazing! 2 things usually happen after I read your posts...ok 3. One, I want to go get on my Duc an effing ride! Two, that ride would take me straight to somewhere I could get all the amazing food I see you post! Three, start taking more pictures, as a photographer I don't nearly take enough photos of my moto adventures as I do actual paying clients, yours are inspiring! I love that night photo of your Pani under the closed signs! So epic! And here's another epic picture from Laguna seca!
At least I think it's epic. so cool to meet you in person after reading all your adventures. Keep them coming!
MyMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #248
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
Bone Marrow?
I have been very curious about it for a while.
End the curiosity. But ask prior to ordering if they cut it lengthwise or if they just bonesaw it at 90 degrees. The latter is pretty gross, the former is sublime.

MyMinion: great to run into you again! And congrats on your first ADV post. Start a thread and you'll be forced to take pics of your own adventures! >)

Heard great things about Pok Pok, but was a little suspicious. Unlike, say, Italian, there's not a huge different between good and great. But....figured I'd give it a try anyways. The chef went to Thailand to learn how to cook Thai, then ended up culinarily kicking the shit out of everyone there, came back, and started Pok Pok.

The Boar Collar was supposedly incredible, but ended up only being meh.

Claypot Prawns were terrible. Noodles in clay pot normally doesn't work. In this instance, it did. The noodles were a sponge that soaked up all the nasty sauce that was wrong in too many ways (most notably the quantity of fish sauce usually reserved for practical jokes). Adding insult to disgust, the prawns had been cooked before (day before most likely), then cooled, then recooked, giving the poor crustaceans stringy, disintegrating texture.

None of that mattered much. They could have spilled a boiling half gallon of that nasty excuse for claypot sauce onto my face. So long as they brought wings all would be forgiven.

San Tung, you've been robbed of your title. Cross your fingers Pok Pok doesn't open up in SF because they will bury you!

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 09:51 PM
Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #249
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

This kind of looked (and tasted) like the cyclops-toothed head of some primordial rattlesnake (I wish!).

Radar's Fried Chicken. What genius imagined that the bright, neon tastes of cherry tomatoes would somehow compliment fried chicken? I'll tell you: it's the same person who'd campaign for infusing pickles into burnt caramel gelato. Another disappointing moment. I'd never craved mashed potatoes and gravy more.

Pushing limits is always worthy of respect, but failing to validate the end result might be worse than not experimenting at all--especially when testing culinary exploits (stab food with fork, insert in mouth) deliver crystal-clear results.

Speaking of experiments that work....had to grab another Peanut Butter, Cherry Jam, Bacon and Grilled Jalapeno sandwich as an apology to my taste buds.

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 12:32 AM
Old 10-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #250
BenZvan
N7

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Peanut Butter, Cherry Jam, Bacon and Grilled Jalapeno sandwich as an apology to my taste buds.

I'd eat that.
BenZvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #251
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Happy Halloween!

Old 10-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #252
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

One of my last nights in Portland I met up with a guy I'd exchanged messages with during the first trip. We met up at MotoCorsa and cruised down the street in his Boxter to grab some wine and conversation. I'll have to add another name to the fukkin' awesome people I've met because of these rides.

Over wine, meats and cheese (hmmmm...sounds romantic), we talked about as much as we could've in the short time we hung out.

I'd like to know his entire life story because when I look around at guys I know, most lead a fairly homogeneous existence. It'd be easy to just play the age card, but it seems to me that guys older than 50 tend to have lived more lives by the time they were 30 than any Gen Xers of the same age have. Air Force, CHP (his boss had made the arrest that led to the Watts riots), and trial attorney. He had a craniotomy, too, only when he woke up he had to learn to walk again. He bought a Ducati and parked it in his living room as motivation to get through physical therapy. Then figuring if I could do the miles, he could, too, and did his own coast-to-coast, but in something like 12 or 14 days. Bravo, Chick! (That's his name.). Bravo.

Though I didn't quite realize it until he and I met up, I've basically been writing to a younger version of me, correcting the habits that prevent growth and eliminating the behaviors that might lead to regret when I'm older. I never thought I'd inspire someone who's lived a full life most would envy to indulge in their own dream, whether it be forgotten, postponed or simply undiscovered. The lesson I learned? No matter how long we live, new adventures, fascinating experiences and brilliant excuses to get out and ride will never, never end.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:01 AM   #253
manban9888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
One of my last nights in Portland I met up with a guy I'd exchanged messages with during the first trip. We met up at MotoCorsa and cruised down the street in his Boxter to grab some wine and conversation. I'll have to add another name to the fukkin' awesome people I've met because of these rides.

Over wine, meats and cheese (hmmmm...sounds romantic), we talked about as much as we could've in the short time we hung out.

I'd like to know his entire life story because when I look around at guys I know, most lead a fairly homogeneous existence. It'd be easy to just play the age card, but it seems to me that guys older than 50 tend to have lived more lives by the time they were 30 than any Gen Xers of the same age have. Air Force, CHP (his boss had made the arrest that led to the Watts riots), and trial attorney. He had a craniotomy, too, only when he woke up he had to learn to walk again. He bought a Ducati and parked it in his living room as motivation to get through physical therapy. Then figuring if I could do the miles, he could, too, and did his own coast-to-coast, but in something like 12 or 14 days. Bravo, Chick! (That's his name.). Bravo.

Though I didn't quite realize it until he and I met up, I've basically been writing to a younger version of me, correcting the habits that prevent growth and eliminating the behaviors that might lead to regret when I'm older. I never thought I'd inspire someone who's lived a full life most would envy to indulge in their own dream, whether it be forgotten, postponed or simply undiscovered. The lesson I learned? No matter how long we live, new adventures, fascinating experiences and brilliant excuses to get out and ride will never, never end.
I just caught up w your new RR since I've been savoring it. As cool as it's been for you meeting good people on both your RRs, it's been an absolute pleasure for us to get to know you through your inspirational rides. You have a gift for reminding even those of us who have a ravenous appetite for living that every single day is an effin awesome gift. I've seen nightmares while awake and have tasted heaven and appreciate your motivating reminder that though shit happens, we are still the masters of our lives.
manban9888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #254
D-R0CK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
C'mon guys! I didn't think it would take that much prodding for someone to take me up on taking the day off to play dare.
Skipping class on the DR350 on a short adventure ride exploring the mountains. And yes! The ugly signals are gone.

After going far enough down the trail that I wouldn't have to take pictures alongside SUVs:

The end of the trail... Or is it?

D-R0CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:19 AM   #255
CrashAstern
n00b

Oddometer: 1
But wait, THERE'S MORE!

I'm on the 52nd page of your /first/ RR - after being hooked from the mere idea of your ride, I had no idea I was going to enjoy it as much as I am - kudos to you for pushing limits, you've shared insight and stories that'll stick with me for quite some time.

Now you're here, making a new RR in my own backyard (Seattle/PNW) and I'm not even done reading the first!? I've been out on a deployment (Navy) since March, and I pine for the days of being able to ride again once I return. It's a shame I couldn't extend a hospitable stay once you're in the Seattle area, but safe riding nonetheless and I'll be reading this one alongside finishing your first.

CrashAstern is offline   Reply With Quote