Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #256
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,312
The new reflective Anti emblems look stellar and are much easer to apply than their predecessors.

Did you get these through GottoMoto?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #257
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by manban9888 View Post
I just caught up w your new RR since I've been savoring it. As cool as it's been for you meeting good people on both your RRs, it's been an absolute pleasure for us to get to know you through your inspirational rides. You have a gift for reminding even those of us who have a ravenous appetite for living that every single day is an effin awesome gift. I've seen nightmares while awake and have tasted heaven and appreciate your motivating reminder that though shit happens, we are still the masters of our lives.
If anyone's seen nightmares (and gone through a few) it's you, bud. These two trips have taught me that the difference between happiness and depression, insanity and control is a far thinner line than most imagine. Met way too many people because of this thread who had every excuse to be in prison, dead, morally or financially bankrupt or just simply f'in unhappy and bitter. Yet none were. Without external savior or miracle cure, they undid the mess caused by accident, chance or misfortune. Seems to be kind of a common thread amongst ADVers (at least the ones on this and the last thread).

Oh, btw--probably a good time now to mention that Superchachi is now shifting with his prosthetic and has been one happy motherfucker throughout the whole experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
The new reflective Anti emblems look stellar and are much easer to apply than their predecessors.

Did you get these through GottoMoto?
Looks great, Fritz! And yep--buying through Russ. He doesn't do small orders anymore, but does great work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashAstern View Post
I'm on the 52nd page of your /first/ RR - after being hooked from the mere idea of your ride, I had no idea I was going to enjoy it as much as I am - kudos to you for pushing limits, you've shared insight and stories that'll stick with me for quite some time.

Now you're here, making a new RR in my own backyard (Seattle/PNW) and I'm not even done reading the first!? I've been out on a deployment (Navy) since March, and I pine for the days of being able to ride again once I return. It's a shame I couldn't extend a hospitable stay once you're in the Seattle area, but safe riding nonetheless and I'll be reading this one alongside finishing your first.

Have a feeling I'll be up in Seattle again. :) Glad you're enjoying, thanks for the note.

Hey D-Rock--try not to break anything. Hard to explain why you broke a clavicle to the professor who's class you cut!

AntiHero screwed with this post 11-03-2013 at 04:11 PM
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #258
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

I continued to gorge, finding myself at Andina again, this time for Lomo Saltado.

And then a few of these went off:

My final Andina experience left me wanting. With few exceptions, the best food to be found isn't at $$$$ or $$$ restaurants. Quality is usually better, as is presentation, and the food is generally more consistent than you'll get at random hole-in-the-walls. But fresh on my mind was that jalapeno pepper grilled PB&J (which still ranks among the best things I've eaten as I've eaten my way around the country) and so the rest of my time in Portland was spent eating off of food trucks and in dives.

Had a few lackluster experiences, but substandard at $6 doesn't have that bitter taste that substandard has at the $50 mark. Stumbled upon Nong's. I'd always wanted to try Hainanese Chicken and Rice. Anyone can use exotic ingredients and lots of butter (or a thick bacon wrap) to make something taste good. But to make simplicity taste extraordinary requires a true ginzu master.

One of the most spectacular dishes I've ever had in my life. And a truly rags to riches (well, not quiet riches yet, but she's getting there) story behind that experience. :
http://eater.com/archives/2013/09/09...-interview.php

If you only read one paragraph of the interview, make it be the last:
"I always had big dreams when I was a kid. I always read about successful people on Earth like Napoleon, Einstein, Thomas Edison. I found one thing in common was one word in that book that said those people come from struggle. And I struggled as a child, so I felt like, oh, maybe one day I could be that. I connect with that word. They all come from a poor place. So I always had big dreams. But I didn't know how I was gonna be that. It just kind of all came together. But when I was a kid I thought, oh, one day I'm going to have something in a store. It's really happening. It's crazy. But I learned that you can do it. You just have to do it."
Old 11-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #259
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

One last trip to MotoCorsa.

My bike has had this intermittent high-idle issue, so they took a look at it again to see if they could isolate it. (AJ, if I haven't already mentioned it, fixed the seized Gilles Shifter by pressing out and turning piece that had seized, loosening up the tolerances). Machining? At a Ducati dealer? Way above and beyond what any normal shop would do.

They didn't find the issue, but while I waited out rolled the very first Akra system fitted to a US Panigale. Looked absolutely stunning (MotoCorsa removed the gloss finish as per the customer's request) and the sound: pure wrath.

Free espresso and bottled water? Oh most definitely:

Arun, MotoCorsa's Director General, hooked me up with a few T-Shirts (as if they hadn't done enough), and I snuck into his office one last time to get one last look at an uber-rare Supermono.

And one final look at the TerraCorsa:

As they rolled my bike out of the bay, Arun invited me out to dinner with the whole MotoCorsa group, which behave in a way that suggests 'family' than it does 'coworkers'. I had been looking forward to getting out on the road again (in the light / dry), but couldn't pass up the opportunity. I'd been warned that they could be a crass bunch, and the conversation didn't disappoint. No one had warned them of me, however, and somewhere between appetizers and the entrees at the Spaghetti Factory I shocked a few of them with a fairly colorful story of what happens when a very good looking transvestite shows up at a track day. Had a great time--and took lots of pictures, but then remembered my memory card was in my laptop, not my camera. FOOL! (Note--I rarely look at my screen and fire shots off from the hip, so to speak, which is why I didn't notice the "no memory card present" error. Gahhhh). Did get one at the end of the evening as we left, though.

Tyler Dollard, a business manager from Ducati (and yet another great guy) was co-buying and took over duties of getting Arun and I safely to and from dinner. After dropping us off I was alone out in front. It was another one of those moments of solitude, a pause in the rush, a silence between two notes. Portland--and all the travel and flying and rain and checking in and out of various places had given me little time to reflect as I bombed from one location/ircumstance to another. And right here it all stopped. I took a few pictures and stood there for a moment just looking around, excited to not know what was next, confident that whatever was going to happen would lead to another sequence of adventures, new sights, sounds, tastes, experiences.

And then, before I could get on the bike, it hit me: the overwhelming feeling of inevitability. I knew with utmost clarity and certainty where I needed to be (which fortunately was about 2 blocks away) and headed off.

AntiHero screwed with this post 11-03-2013 at 08:52 PM
Old 11-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #260
AK Smitty
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 306
Backpack Cover?

Several different options out there and could probably walk into REI or somewhere similar and get the right fit. Here is just one link:

http://www.backcountry.com/mountains...FW1yQgod4T8A5w

I understand not the perfect solution for ripping down the road on a Duc, but are you really ripping that fast in heavy rain? Anyway a cheap and easily packable solution at the least.

Mountainsmith has them tucked into little exterior compartments on a lot of their camera bags so they can be put on quickly. Maybe an option to be added at Manufacturing to the Kriega bag?
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #261
manban9888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Brother....I truly enjoy your story. I hope you keep sharing w us here or on your own website. I hope you're savoring every minute. I spent last week in Dallas w my wife (she was there for work) and it was cool, especially the honkytonks, but I was jonesing for my bikes. I love my freedom now but you have the ride free thing as good as it gets. The way you look at tomorrow makes today a great day. There's nothing like going to sleep at night knowing tomorrow has new adventures, new friends and new roads to ride. I'm happy for you.
manban9888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #262
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the link, Smitty.

Manny, I'll try to keep it thought provoking even when it’s about to get ugly, which is where it’s going to go in 3…2…1…

Outside MotoCorsa, backpack leaned up against the bike, streetlights glowing in the cool mist I paused for a second. An absence caught my attention; a silence, a calm, a dissolution of tumult, chaos and stress. Observation and participation fused. Right there I stood in the center of a film-noire street scene at a juncture between the past and the moments of my life that had yet to occur, balancing on a fulcrum of time: movement would propel me into the future, thought into the past, so I paused to preserve the strange, zen-like lattice suspending me. It didn’t last long. Sensing my peace, the bony knuckles of fate tightened into a fist and clobbered me right in my gut.

And this, my dear friends, resulted in the feeling of inevitability I spoke of above. Steven Wright had once said, “If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it shoots out your nose.” Very close to the truth indeed. But instead of beer shooting out of my nose, a malted milksake mentos bomb was expanding in my guts at a rate that could surpass my ability to find a porcelain throne. I was dealing with an ungovernable force. And the only way to survive was to find an immobile object (preferably one that flushed with great force). I rushed to my bike, scanning the cityscape, eyes watering from strain and effort. I began to perceive objects in ways I’d never before seen, quite certain that the quote, “necessity is the mother of invention” was coined not for some noble cause. No, this particular proverb was coined by a man 20-30 minutes after consuming a half-pound of figs, a bran muffin and a Grande Espresso (who was probably riding a horse that simply would not stop trotting). And that’s the situation I found myself in, contemplating an ingenious solution to a difficult problem while, at the same time, trying to rush to a location that housed industrial-grade indoor plumbing. It’s probably quite fortunate a Volkswagen Bug with an open sunroof wasn’t parked nearby.

Now, most people head to a gas station or fast food restaurant when the agonizing, sizzling shits hits, but there are lots of reasons why frogging a log at Mickey D’s is a bad idea, most notably: you aren’t the only one who pops in to drop an ambulatory deuce in the fast food honeypot. Moreover, placing your gear on the floor of a public restroom that’s been greased by the oily, buttery residue of accumulated, evaporated urine is never a pleasant experience. There’s a reason why minimum wage gas station attendants and fast food workers don’t clean the bathrooms—they don’t want you in there, and they definitely don’t want you to come back. Car dealerships and hotels are far more suitable launch sites for supersonic shits. Though a hotel was only a slightly longer distance away from my location, I’d gone into full-blown emergency-mode, and made a ‘better sooner than later’ decision to make a deposit at Jack in the Box. Though probably a much cleaner bathroom was marginally farther (in this situation, every 20 seconds counted), my mind fixated on the nearest target. Riding up the block I quickly weighed the duration of time I’d lose if one of those scat-smudged-keys, attached to an insultingly sized piece of driftwood would be needed to grant my butt access to the men’s room. That thought was quickly followed by a premonition of thrusting a stall open (if it even had a door) only to have two naked, immobilized toilet-paper-less cardboard rolls shudder in embarrassment as wall-mounted porcelain gargoyles mocked my presence with mouths agape just before ridiculing my hasty exit with gargled laughs. Seconds ticking, I switched to plan B and headed to the hotel. As I rushed towards the entrance I saw an empty lobby. With no other customers to assist, I’d be confronted by the desk clerk with a hospitable, “Hello—checking in?” Moving forward I had no time to come up with a clever story. In an instant, phone went to ear, and out of my mouth came a, “hey dude, I’m here, what room are you in?” Her eyes followed my stroll through the lobby. I gave her a wink and a nod signalling all was well, located their 4 star bathroom and, other than the point-of-view photo below, will leave the rest of the evacuation details your imagination.

Disaster averted!

Stopped on the bridge out of town and took one last picture of Portland.

AntiHero screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 06:00 PM
Old 11-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #263
Serbchaser
Chasin' the Serb

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Thanks for the link, Smitty.

Manny, I'll try to keep it thought provoking even when it抯 about to get ugly, which is where it抯 going to go in 321

Outside MotoCorsa, backpack leaned up against the bike, streetlights glowing in cool mist I paused for a second. An absence caught my attention; a silence, a calm, a dissolution of tumult, chaos and stress. Observation and participation fused. Right there I stood in the center of a film-noire street scene at a juncture between the past and the future, balancing on a fulcrum of time: movement would propel me into the future, thought into the past, so I paused to preserve the strange, zen-like lattice suspending me. It didn抰 last long. Sensing my peace, the bony knuckles of fate tightened into a fist and clobbered me right in my gut.

And this, my dear friends, resulted in the feeling of inevitability I spoke of above. Steven Wright had once said, 揑f you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose. Very close to the truth indeed. But instead of beer shooting out of my nose, a malted milksake mentos bomb was expanding in my guts at a rate that could surpass my ability to find a porcelain throne. I was dealing with an ungovernable force. And the only way to survive was to find an immobile object (preferably one that flushed with great force). I rushed to my bike, scanning the cityscape, eyes watering from strain and effort. I began to perceive objects in ways I抎 never before seen, quite certain that the quote, 搉ecessity is the mother of invention was coined not for some noble cause. No, this particular proverb was coined by a man 20-30 minutes after consuming a half-pound of figs, a bran muffin and a Grande Espresso (who was probably riding a horse that simply would not stop trotting). And that抯 the situation I found myself in, contemplating an ingenious solution to a difficult problem while, at the same time, trying to rush to a location that housed industrial-grade indoor plumbing. It抯 probably quite fortunate a Volkswagen Bug with an open sunroof wasn抰 parked nearby.

Now, most people head to a gas station or fast food restaurant when the agonizing, sizzling shits hits, but there are lots of reasons why frogging a log at Mickey D抯 is a bad idea, most notably: you aren抰 the only one who pops in to drop an ambulatory deuce in the fast food honeypot. Moreover, placing your gear on the floor of a public restroom that抯 been greased by the oily, buttery residue of accumulated, evaporated urine is never a pleasant experience. There抯 a reason why minimum wage gas station attendants and fast food workers don抰 clean the bathrooms梩hey don抰 want you in there, and they definitely don抰 want you to come back. Car dealerships and hotels are far more suitable launch sites for supersonic shits. Though a hotel was only a slightly longer distance away from my location, I抎 gone into full-blown emergency-mode, and made a 慴etter sooner than later decision to make a deposit at Jack in the Box. Though probably a much cleaner bathroom was marginally farther (in this situation, every 20 seconds counted), my mind fixated on the nearest target. Riding up the block I quickly weighed the duration of time I抎 lose if one of those scat-smudged-keys, attached to an insultingly sized piece of driftwood would be needed to grant my butt access to the men抯 room. That thought was quickly followed by a premonition of thrusting a stall open (if it even had a door) only to have two naked, immobilized toilet-paper-less cardboard rolls shudder in embarrassment as wall-mounted porcelain gargoyles mocked my presence with mouths agape just before ridiculing my hasty exit with gargled laughs. Seconds ticking, I switched to plan B and headed to the hotel. As I rushed towards the entrance I saw an empty lobby. With no other customers to assist, I抎 be confronted by the desk clerk with a hospitable, 揌ello梒hecking in? Moving forward I had no time to come up with a clever story. In an instant, phone went to ear, and out of my mouth came a, 揾ey dude, I抦 here, what room are you in? Her eyes followed my stroll through the lobby. I gave her a wink and a nod signalling all was well, located their 4 star bathroom and, other than the point-of-view photo below, will leave the rest of the evacuation details your imagination.

Disaster averted!

Stopped on the bridge out of town and took one last picture of Portland.

Serbchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #264
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
And right here it all stopped. I took a few pictures and stood there for a moment just looking around, excited to not know what was next, confident that whatever was going to happen would lead to another sequence of adventures, new sights, sounds, tastes, experiences.
Those pregnant pauses of uncertainty just totally rock, do they not?
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #265
manban9888
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Those pregnant pauses of uncertainty just totally rock, do they not?
I think his most recent pregnant pause of uncertainty was specifically caused by a floundering sphincter
Old 11-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #266
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by manban9888 View Post
I think his most recent pregnant pause of uncertainty was specifically caused by a floundering sphincter
Those close calls are always an exciting moment.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #267
manban9888
Adventurer

Btw AH, Your writing skills made a fine story of almost crapping yourself. And on a more serious note please give Superchachi my regards and that I'm happy and impressed that he's back on the road.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #268
ijg5
n00b

Oddometer: 5
WOW, all those words for " I need a shit badly"
ijg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #269
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Ok, what did I miss? How do I get an antiHero sticker? Gotta have one. If nothing else simply to honor a great ride report through my neck of the woods. Not to mention it is a cool emblem.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #270
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
"...tightened into a fist and clobbered me right in my gut." I feel your pain, AH. Had the same thing happen to me on the train from SF to Mtn View one Sunday. No bathroom on board and in those days there were no stations at most of the stops. Had to hold on. Made it, just. So, what did you eat and where did you eat it about 8 hours earlier?
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote