Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #316
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
At first I thought it must be water, too, but....
I saw the rattle can "WATER" at the back. Silly kids.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #317
JamesM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
ummm .... would it not be closed for winter ? ... as in lots of SNOW ?

he's better off checking out Craters of the Moon ....
Global Warming?

JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #318
Litemup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
REGISTERED!
Really enjoy your writing and your photography. Hope you will do a trip in SE Asia in the future Thailand, Veitnam, Cambodia.
Surely one of these Ducati dealers will give you a new Multistrada to ride for a day I for one one love that feedback. Is anyone at Epicurious following this???

Happy travels
Litemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #319
Platinumgrit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Suicide of sorts? Let's hope so. This time I'm wearing real boots and real pants so PlatinumGrit doesn't give me any shit. ;)
Haha, purely for selfish reasons my friend! Can't have one of my favourite writers taking time off for paltry things like hospital or injuries you know :p
(and you're most welcome)

:)
Old 12-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #320
Platinumgrit
Adventurer

Quote:
Sup, Michael--I never received your email response. ???

I'll take responsibility for foolishly thinking that any zipper is going to be waterproof. However, the statement: "The Kriega R30 is widely acclaimed as the best 100% waterproof motorcycle backpack in the world" isn't ambiguous. Even "The best waterproof motorcycle backpack available" that's currently on the Kriega site should either 1) have a footnote ("pockets are not part of the backpack."); 2) employ an adverb to modify the adjective--or 3) (booya!) let's work together on a totally 100% STORMPROOF backpack. :)

With all that said, the backpack is still fookin' amazing....picking it up with one hand I always think before swinging it onto my shoulders, "400 miles with this on my back is going to HURT," but once on gravity's suspended. Whether hiking around Craters of the Moon trying to get great photos or standing in the parking lot of a gas station washing a beef-jerky lunch down with coconut water, it's so god damned comfortable I never think to take it off. 100% AntiHero Fatigue-resistant stamp of approval: ABSOLUTELY!

For anyone contemplating motorcycle packs, I still would say technicalities above, you won't find anything available that's better. Just take some simple precautions and a couple of ziploc bags when riding through tempest.
Amazing, isn't it? It'd be around 5-6 months ago I picked mine up from Mike in New Orleans (ha! what a night! How many local brews did we smash!? I lost count around the 16 beer mark? And how *awesome* is his missus! She is truly an amazing find.) and 24,000 k's through Europe later on an R1, I cannot think of a backpack that would come close to working as well for me like the R30.

One particular day comes to mind - the dreary and fateful sprint from Basel to Calais via Luxembourg. Nothing but rain, rain and rain; the closer to Calais the heavier it fell. The last 200k's sprinting to make the ferry, everyone I passed in the white-out must have thought I was mad - I didn't drop below 120mph except for fuel breaks. Couldn't feel my face, neck, hands... one supposedly waterproof boot was half full so I couldn't feel my foot; "joy all round" as they say. R30 was soaked through and through, but, the contents inside the main compartment were dry as a nun's what's-it. The US20 performed magnificently, but due to an unfortunate incident very slightly nicking the interior with some tools I'd put in it, it's no longer waterproof.... :-(

You might want to pass on to the Kriega guys some feedback about the velcro sticky pads the Tank Pad Harness front-facing strips stick to - I stuck them on the frame on either side of the steering head stem, but the R1 generated enough heat they kept melting and coming off. I ended up strapping the US20 behind my Ortlieb RackPack 49 on the tail. T'wasn't without benefit though; made for easier power-wheelies out of petrol stations

eek. Sorry Anti - I'm hijacking your thread.

TL;DR: Long story short, my R30 got soaked numerous times on long (600-800mi) rides. Every pocket outside the main compartment was full of water; but to my surprise the main compartment did keep the water out. Quite often I could *feel* the water on the other side of the white lining, but it seemed illogically resilient to allowing it through. If Mike is being so kind as to offer an exchange, I'd take him up on it.

Platinumgrit screwed with this post 12-09-2013 at 07:06 PM Reason: edit: minor spelling & grammar issues
Platinumgrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #321
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinumgrit View Post
T'wasn't without benefit though; made for easier power-wheelies out of petrol stations
Life with my RD400F Daytona Special was all about that. Boy, do I miss it. On my short list of things to do is find the smallest displacement bike that'll still do power wheelies (changing sprockets allowed).

We now return you to the AntiHero Show!
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #322
Platinumgrit
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Life with my RD400F Daytona Special was all about that. Boy, do I miss it. On my short list of things to do is find the smallest displacement bike that'll still do power wheelies (changing sprockets allowed).

We now return you to the AntiHero Show!
Amen brother! PM'ing ye, as I wish not to hijack a great RR further ;-)
Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #323
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 763
On the border of Oregon and Idaho was a town of Vale. Not much going on, but I sat out here under this sign drinking a bottle of water watching the people go by.

Saw this across the street and my first thought was, "Ronald Reagan must have written that, and with good reason." But alas, 'twas not him. Writing very well might often require remembering who you are, but its true value is growth and development.

In any case, not that long after I left I'd made it to Idaho.

New experiences, new thoughts, new ideas and new sensations don’t just change the way we see or think of the world—they physically reshape our brains, so much so that by the end of this sentence the physical structure of your grey matter will not be the same as it was at the beginning of these words. That environmental experiences shape perception isn't anything new, but what’s often overlooked is the inability to perceive something based on a lack of experience . (The fact that a native Japanese speakers hear “R” and “L” as the same exact sound despite Japanese infants being able to distinguish between the two sounds is perhaps the best example of how the synapses processing language are pruned by a lack of experience as much as new perceptual abilities are shaped by experience.) What does this have to do with Idaho? Gimme a second....

I most often think of sensory, and corporeal experiences as stones, dropped into, skipped across, or catapulted through our minds. Impacts travel like waves across a lattice of neural connections, vibrating the neural strings that may resonate through the rest of our lives. Commuting to work, for instance, is a skipping stone, repetitively skimming hundreds of times until all the waves blend into a singular harmonic note that’s easily ignored or forgotten; having diarrhea during one of those commutes, stuck on a particularly congested day while burning a clutch to inching your way across the Bay Bridge might be more like the singular splat (let’s hope not) of liquid being hit with great force, a booming blast sending out a painful tidal wake, only abating into an amusing stir after years of reverberations; that first experience of love--or for that matter, love lost--might generate waves powerful enough to transfer energy not only from the outside world into remote interior regions of our minds, but also from a single moment in time out to a great distance into our future.

I'm bombarded by this water/sound/wave model when I think of the connection between the particles of experience and the primary forces that shape own behavior. Early experiences cause ripples that propagate and rebound with far greater influence than anything that comes later, making childhood the source of tides and currents that ebb and flow over the entirety of our life. If I close my eyes and let my mind wander from one memory to another I can feel an internal rise and fall according to the timing and duration of each ‘origin’ current gliding underneath.

Rogue waves cause an echo-effect of more rogue waves. A lack thereof results in a sea of tranquility. But all things equal, each successive event has less of an impact than the one before, meaning that our current mental state, our current identity, is more an aftershock of everything in our life than it is an amplifier of what we desire to do or think now. This puts us at a disadvantage whilst trying to eradicate particularly awful conditions. I imagine swimming against this tide, back to the origin of impact to face and then drown, the person, the child, inside, that experienced (and in some cases is still making) disruptive, nauseating waves. The effort involved explains why overcoming trauma can take years—it’s a long swim: some give up, some drown, fighting the current.

While living in Idaho as a kid, I experienced one of these origin events that continues to ripple across the rest of my life in a very positive way. But another event, later in life, another ‘me’, a ‘me’ that had been a tremendous source of my own strength and an example to myself of what I was capable of, was killed. The waves now are undulating murmurs of the deceased; every day I struggle to maintain buoyancy attached to the weight of that corpse. There are two places in Idaho that represent epicenters of this anguish. Both just so happen to be bodies of water. And I was swimming back to one of them.

AntiHero screwed with this post 12-16-2013 at 08:17 PM
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #324
Shesaid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
I was getting settled in for what was to come... cliff hanger = not cool, man. Not cool. Looking forward to the rest of this thought.
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #325
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesaid View Post
I was getting settled in for what was to come... cliff hanger = not cool, man. Not cool. Looking forward to the rest of this thought.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #326
eightangrybears
Daily adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Another amazing story

AH, loved and followed the first report with an unwavering sense of awe. I even contacted you about your art (which is amazing) a while back. Just wanted to say this report is as amazing as the last if not better. Now you're up in the PNW where I have a few friends and every time you eat at one of the meatzilla restaurants you have been frequenting, I text them "Have you eaten at XXXX?"

Anyways, love the report, the lifestyle and the ride. Just one more question: any chance of getting an AntiHero sticker? Unfortunately I was in an accident about 4 months ago and will have nerve damage for a while so I won't be able to earn one of the stickers with a day ride write-up but would love to have one or two stashed for when I can ride again and get a new bike...I'd pay for them, of course...

Keep living the dream, dude...
1991 Kawasaki KLR 650
1981 Kawasaki 440 LTD
eightangrybears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #327
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

PM sent, eightangrybears.

My apologies for the 'cliff hanger'. Been a tough couple of posts for me.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #328
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

This wasn't the first time I’d been in Idaho. As a kid, we moved to a farm in Meridian, just out of Boise, the summer I finished 5th grade. My mom and step dad had noble, idealistic visions of living a clean, pure life, sustaining ourselves off the land while they worked on bringing a second family into the world. (It probably would have worked out really well, too, were it not for my stepfather’s one true love that identified itself with a three digit number, followed by the word, ‘PROOF’.) Most kids would probably rank Idaho right with Siberia in terms of places to avoid, but I absolutely loved it. I had a pellet gun, a fishing pole, an imagination and acres of sparsely populated farmland. I chased snakes, snipered old vacuum tubes in recessed corners of barns; shot down kites, slept outside under the stars, and was lullabied to sleep by the distinctive spectrum of sounds corn makes at night when it ‘grows’. And the currents of that experience, of living a rich inner life, of exploring, of submersing myself in my own private activities, are currents that continue to resonate to this day. I returned to California a year later, but that experience is submerged in me.

In 2008 I made it back to Idaho. But instead of an easily bullied, scrawny little OCD kid with heart problems and ulcers, I was a man, standing on the shore of the Lucky Peak Reservoir at dawn, confident, fearless, eager to dive into the choppy morning water at the start of the Boise’s inaugural Ironman 70.3. While other competitors pretended not to be peeing in their wet suits waiting for the gun, I had a cathartic conversation with the nerdy, anxious, sorely under confident goofball of my youth. Once picked last every time for every team, every time, I’d never have made it to the shores of the peak had I believed what anyone told me I was or was not capable of of. 14-15 competitors had to be pulled out of the water that morning. Some almost drowned, some had hypothermia. But only the timid and fearful boy of my youth who died that day. And you've just read his epitaph.

Being at the shore again, on a combustion-powered Ducati instead of a quadricep-powered Cervelo filled me with anguish. I’m still alive, but the person who once stood confidently on shores of thrashing water, capable of doing whatever it took to get from the start of a swim to the run finish at the end of 70.3, 101 or 140.6 miles, is dead. Two and a half years after that race a brain tumor nearly killed both of us. We both went under the knife, but only one of us survived.

Some epitaphs are more difficult than others to write.

AntiHero screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 08:07 PM
Old 12-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #329
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Powerful stuff, AH, powerful stuff.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #330
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer