Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #346
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidbrah View Post
Northern Idaho at least....

Be careful riding through Idaho....it's an 'absolute speed limit' state, meaning the cops will snag you for going 3 over.
As I would find out later that night.....only I wasn't going just 3 over the limit.

To make matters worse, I didn't know he was behind me for a couple miles trying to catch up.

But nothing could really disappoint me. My mind was somewhere else:

AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #347
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

My popsicle ass made it to one of those outrageously overpriced hotels in a town no one visits except to sleep. By the time I got there the only thing open was a Dominos pizza and a gas station. But I was on the ground floor and we both slept together that night.

My neighbors were loud as hell--an argument went on for a good hour and 15 min., with the guy saying about 30 seconds worth of words. The next morning they came out and loaded up. One of the issues with parking inside is sometimes ya get trapped on the way out. Not a big deal, as I had plenty of time. They screaming pissed off woman ended up loving the bike. She was from Spain, he was from NY. After they left I figured it was a good 2-3 minutes before she started in again. Something to be said about traveling solo for sure....

Old 12-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #348
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wouldn't mind living here for a few months:

And finally made it to Craters of the Moon

(Wish I could've ridden that, but I definitely wouldn't have made it with my tires--and didn't need another ticket, either!)
Old 12-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #349
BigDogRaven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
This is great stuff Dennis.

Keep em coming.

Very much diggin' the photos!!

BigDogRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #350
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
God, she's pretty.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #351
manban9888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
This wasn't the first time I’d been in Idaho. As a kid, we moved to a farm in Meridian, just out of Boise, the summer I finished 5th grade. My mom and step dad had noble, idealistic visions of living a clean, pure life, sustaining ourselves off the land while they worked on bringing a second family into the world. (It probably would have worked out really well, too, were it not for my stepfather’s one true love that identified itself with a three digit number, followed by the word, ‘PROOF’.) Most kids would probably rank Idaho right with Siberia in terms of places to avoid, but I absolutely loved it. I had a pellet gun, a fishing pole, an imagination and acres of sparsely populated farmland. I chased snakes, snipered old vacuum tubes in recessed corners of barns; shot down kites, slept outside under the stars, and was lullabied to sleep by the distinctive spectrum of sounds corn makes at night when it ‘grows’. And the currents of that experience, of living a rich inner life, of exploring, of submersing myself in my own private activities, are currents that continue to resonate to this day. I returned to California a year later, but that experience is submerged in me.

In 2008 I made it back to Idaho. But instead of an easily bullied, scrawny little OCD kid with heart problems and ulcers, I was a man, standing on the shore of the Lucky Peak Reservoir at dawn, confident, fearless, eager to dive into the choppy morning water at the start of the Boise’s inaugural Ironman 70.3. While other competitors pretended not to be peeing in their wet suits waiting for the gun, I had a cathartic conversation with the nerdy, anxious, sorely under confident goofball of my youth. Once picked last every time for every team, every time, I’d never have made it to the shores of the peak had I believed what anyone told me I was or was not capable of of. 14-15 competitors had to be pulled out of the water that morning. Some almost drowned, some had hypothermia. But only the timid and fearful boy of my youth who died that day. And you've just read his epitaph.

Being at the shore again, on a combustion-powered Ducati instead of a quadricep-powered Cervelo filled me with anguish. I’m still alive, but the person who once stood confidently on shores of thrashing water, capable of doing whatever it took to get from the start of a swim to the run finish at the end of 70.3, 101 or 140.6 miles, is dead. Two and a half years after that race a brain tumor nearly killed both of us. We both went under the knife, but only one of us survived.

Some epitaphs are more difficult than others to write.

Hey AH, If it wasn't a brain tumor, age would have killed the iron man too. You know some of the crap I've done and a couple days after my 40th I sparred 10 rounds w a 23 yr old that was taller faster better and he couldn't hurt me. I even saw fear in his eyes after the 1st body shot I connected with. A few months after that I got hurt at work and then another injury changed everything. I'm going to be 45 in a couple weeks and even though I can handle a regular 23 yr old, I know there's no way I will ever go 10 rounds again. But you know what brother....so fucken what. I love everyday of my life and feel gratitude in my core. None of us stay 21 forever and I really don't want to. The experience and knowledge we gain is the trade off. I'm now a better father, better husband, a better man. And anyway, I'd much rather go a few rounds w my young wife then get punched in the face...Enjoy everyday of your adventure and feel that desire for tomorrow and let yesterday only touch your conciousness lightly. Ride on brother
manban9888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #352
moe50
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Great report
moe50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #353
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Thumb

Dennis! Somehow I completely missed this thread until now. I just caught up. My parents live in Hillsboro, OR, just West of Portland - not sure you were looking on another discourse on forgiveness though (if you remember my mom, you know what I'm talking about). Anyway - great to see you out riding again and some more beautiful pictures.

I also wanted to comment on something you mentioned regarding people seeming to be "let down" when they meet you. Like everyone else here, your words and thoughts together with your pictures of these vast landscapes are very thought provoking for me. When we met in person, the #1 impression you left with me was how utterly genuine you are. The facade that most humans put up in one form or another just didn't seem to exist with you. And while I'm sure there is often more beneath your words than what you may let on, the words you do let out have more weight and gravity than average. They stick. I think that's because you have realized how finite our lives are, and this soul searching stirs something deep within all of us.

Despite how fickle our existence may seem, don't ever think that you haven't made an impact. Look at how much inspiration (and provocation?) has come from something as simple as a ride report. Stay true to yourself as you have been, I think those who happen to cross paths with you who have an open mind (and enough grey matter to care) will be prompted to contemplate much more than daily life requires. That's a good thing. Rock on.

-Reuben
Old 12-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #354
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Merry Christmas Everyone

Old 12-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #355
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Cheers.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #356
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Manny, Trane. Hope all is well with both of you on opposite sides of the globe!

Reuben--Thanks for the kind words. I remember what you're talkin' about for sure. I completely forgot your parents had left an open invitation to visit in Oregon, too. Perhaps next time.

Spotty internet connection...hoping this makes it through this time.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #357
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, Manny, Trane. Hope all is well with both of you on opposite sides of the globe!
Life is okay here in Tokyo. Thanks to the high-tech build quality of my Japanese apartment, it's been averaging ~46F/8C in my bedroom in the mornings. It's a balmy 52F in the room now @ 2 p.m., so pretty much T-shirt weather.

I think I prefer summer.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #358
wildmanlex1
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Dude

I saw a copy JAN 14 Bike magazine with your article on the cover.....

at the city center mall in BAHRAIN, so I snagged the last one! !
wildmanlex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #359
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Great pics and great writing.
Keep it coming!
Old 12-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #360
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Anti Hero.........many have expressed the hope that you will take the Italian Supermodel overseas. This guy made it from the Netherlands to Krygystan (IIRC)...

I nicked this from yeuop's excellent ride report:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901392
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote