Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 05:13 AM   #436
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
In my own case, even though I've often thought I wanted a settled life, I am learning to accept that I've been fooling myself, that my history shows I am a nomad. If I think about what I've not had (home, kids, career), I'll feel kind of blue but then I think of old friends who stayed put and followed all the cultural rules and how much I've traveled and how much I've seen and done because I did not have those things circumscribing my possibilities, and I feel better. Do I wonder what it would have been like to have lived the alternative? Sometimes, sure. But all that's behind me. And I believe that if I had gone down that path, it is almost certain that as I drew my last breaths I'd have been wondering what it would have been like to spend some time wandering the wide world. Don't look back. Live each moment, and look ahead.
My daughter's childhood is incredibly different than mine. At one month old she was traveling from Maine to Texas and hasn't stopped since, 6 years later. My backyard was so familiar to me since it didn't change for the 16 years that I lived there I could walk around blindfolded over the five acres of trees and trails that it encompassed. My daughter has had two different backyards to play in.

The first time that I set foot on a plane I was 17 years old. My daughter has already been on a plane at least 6 times. The first time that I left the New England states I was 14 or 15 and it was to Ohio for a couple of days. My daughter and wife just finished their cross country trip of Maine to Washington state to help her SIL move.

My daughter and I could fit easily in the example of the two types of studies of physics you described, atoms or universe. My backyard and a few neighboring towns and their back roads and the abandoned railroad track bed was my focus of study compared to my daughter visiting probably two thirds of the United States so far.

I've traveled a lot more now due to the job and choice. I've ridden from Missouri to Maine twice now and included a detour of the southern states during the second trip. I've deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan with layovers in Germany and Spain. I've had to work in Detroit, Ft Irwin, 29 Palms, Biloxi, and other places.

Life in the Army has given us an opportunity to travel and broaden our scopes of life "out there", past the town line. My wife realized that she might not see me for a couple of weeks at a time when I retire. My eyes have been opened and I've obtained a vehicle to take me where ever I desire to go. Equipment is continually being upgraded and new techniques are being learned.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #437
TSSRA
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Passing Through....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
..........We're always "passing through", so while we can get a taste of the things we see along the way we only get a taste - a limited experience. But that's okay - it's simply the nature of a trip. The settler gets the deep but narrow experience........

Blader54... How true. When expressing and realizing grief at the passing of a friend, I always end my sentiments with the phrase, "We're just passing through." Most struggle to find the meaning in my thought. A few grasp on to it and live life a little fuller. The riders in this group fully understand where you're coming from. I have always been a wander/explorer. I can't imagine not knowing what is on the other side of the mountain.

AH.... Thanks for continuing your journey in pictures and words. It is a relief to those of us who are riding in place at the moment. By the way, your Zion pictures are unbelievable. I've never been there and now, I've got to go. Your photography skills are superb and catch the moment. I feel like I'm there in your nature shots. Nice. Very Nice! Keep riding, shooting, and writing!

2005 ZRX1200R, 2004 SV650, 1977 GS750
and bunch of dirt bikes.....
TSSRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #438
Riverguide
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Dennis - i've been reading your ride report (and read the previous one on your trip around USA/Canada) with great interest and respect. Your choice of ride has led me to seriously consider upgrading to the new 899.

As many others have pointed out, your reflections are insightful and your photos are fantastic. I also just read your article in Ride magazine. As someone who grew up in Toronto, i honestly didn't know you could eat raw horsemeat there! On a lighter note, I haven't been able to look at avocados the same since the previous discussion !!

Keep riding and writing brother.

best regards,

riverguide
Riverguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #439
infinwin
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I thought my first post on this site should be one thanking Mr. Matson.

About a year ago I bought my first street bike, a 2005 Honda 600rr. Since it was my first bike, I was seeking performance and reliability. When I though of a reliable bike, Ducati never crossed my mind. That wasn't the case for long though, and after following Dennis's story, coast to coast on an Italian supermodel, and reading how rock solid his 1199 was, I starting re-assessing my bike situation. So I said hell, I've loved the 848 since I first laid eyes on one, so that's what I'm setting my sights on. Then I found out Ducati was releasing the 899, and that was it. I pre-ordered one and now it's residing in my garage. So far it's been rock solid, and I love every minute I'm riding it.

Thank you Dennis!
infinwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #440
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,272
Dennis, you should be awarded commission with all the Ducatis you're selling! Hope all is well man, looking forward to the next installment.

Tallbastid screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 06:32 PM
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #441
infinwin
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Forgot to include pictures... And yes, I copied his picture in front of Newport Duc!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks again!
Thread officially un-jacked
infinwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #442
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinwin View Post
Forgot to include pictures... And yes, I copied his picture in front of Newport Duc!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks again!
Thread officially un-jacked
Stunning...
Old 01-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #443
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Thanks, gang, for the encouraging words. I can only take partial credit. A lot goes to AntiHero, whose writing led me to some (for me, anyway) deep thoughts. Looking forward to the next installment, AH!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #444
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Riverguide: I'm happy you've enjoyed so far. Sorry to ruin avocados for ya. I haven't been able to look at them the same now either. EEEK.

If you're considering an 899, Ducati is having an event this Sat. as a sort of dealer launch or something...might be a good time to stop by.

I was going to post a few pics of Kyle (aka infinwin) on his 899 when I caught up chronologically, but he beat me to it. The motherf'er picked up his bike in the pouring rain and rode it 600 miles home. Respect!

More updates to come....Viva Las Vegas!
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:52 PM   #445
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,422
The good stuff just never quits in this thread. More please.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #446
02Deuce
Where next?

Oddometer: 12
What a ride!

Thanks AH, and the all the rest of you guys, for this great RR. I haven't laughed this hard, with tears flowing and all, in a long time. To go from sub-atomic particles, to life and death and the universe, and then to how to properly "feel" an avocado...
In any case, I see that no matter how hard I tried to stretch it out, I'm caught up on this thread. So AH, I'm going to take this opportunity and ask if you're still using the same Nikon (I think) that you were using on your Coast To Coast ride? Not only were your Zion pics composed with your most excellent artistic talent, but the colors were also superb!
02Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #447
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

02Deuce: Still using a Sony RX100. My last camera (first camera) crapped out in MA (Canon). Loving this Sony, but I find myself reading and rereading reviews of the RX1-R. Too pricey for normal life, but definitely worth it for the next trip.

For all those who enjoyed Zion, here's a little ride-through:
http://youtu.be/cWwqZIZw73s

And here's the longest tunnel I've ever driven through.

AntiHero screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 04:44 PM
Old 02-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #448
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102

5 degrees outside here and stuck inside. Read most of this entire thread last night while throwing back a few of these. Awesome stuff AH!

GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #449
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks, GotMojo. That dude on the bottle reminds me of that Jim Carrey character from In Living Color. 5 degrees....ick, I really don't know how you guys live with your seasons.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #450
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

After Zion I headed towards Vegas. Ride was shorter than I thought, and perhaps a little more boring than I expected. Normally when it's boring I just speed up, but there were lots of troopers out and no shortage of speed traps, so I kept things sane. Besides, I knew I'd be meeting up with the Nevada Ghost Rider, which already had me thinking about the thought of losing my license.

First thing I did was track down raw fish. Found a hole in the wall place that sold Poke like Baskin Robbins Sells Ice Cream and loaded up.

For dinner it was the same. Last time I'd had sashimi was Idaho and I was jonezin!

I guess I should back up a little bit. A maintenance guy who worked at one of the properties in Salt Lake City I stayed at was, shall we say, a little extra friendly to me. Having lived and worked in SF it wasn't much of a deal, but this guy was a little, hmmm, different. Anyhow, he had a brother who was fairly well connected with the hospitality industry in Las Vegas and was able to score me an awesome rate at the Usher House Suites in Vegas. I'd exchanged a few emails, received a few pics and was all set up.

Only when I checked in it wasn't anything like he said it would be. Still, whatever, I was on the ground floor and could roll my bike in at night.

I mistakenly made a left instead of a right out of the office and ran into this shit:

Before I could really react, the dude from Salt Lake City called. He heard I checked in (WTF?) and wanted to know what I thought of the resort. I told him it was more motel and less resort and definitely quite incongruous with the image he had described. He told me once I got to the room I'd change my mind. There were more empty tents in the hallway, though, and cheap plastic Halloween masks on the ground. Over the phone he gave me instructions on how to navigate the fucking Usher House maze, and when I finally reached the room he abruptly had to bail, saying someone was at his door. Right then and there I decided I was not going to sleep here, regardless of the nightly rate, but out of curiosity I had to at least get a pic of the room.

AntiHero screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 10:34 PM