Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #526
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Ironzie: Feel free to PM me a list of places to watch and camp--along with any other information you think would be helpful.

Mart'n: Absolutely, positively must get to Denmark. A Sofa and Gin sound stupendous.

Rico: very little in the way of Police. And btw, in NV, speeding tickets can be reduced to parking violations for a fee.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #527
YetiHunter
2 Wheels & Flyrod

Oddometer: 51
Epic

Some things are meant to be, some are done by force of will. I'm looking forward to your RR. Should be epic....
YetiHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #528
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
I'm sure it has been asked before but what are your plans? Are you going straight to Europe or do you plan on heading south? Please tell me Ducati is going to sponsor you and the Duc.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #529
flyinturbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
Please tell me Ducati is going to sponsor you and the Duc.

Later
John

Please tell me that no one is sponsoring your ride.

With 'assistance' comes requirements. I'd much rather see Dennis wander on his own with the writings and photos to follow. I'd rather not see sponsor stickers on this ride, know what I mean?
flyinturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #530
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Plans? Fly myself and my bike to London probably. Maybe Ireland. That's my only plan (other than getting to the TT). I will land without so much as a reservation at a hotel.

As for sponsorship, it's a little too soon to go into any details (because there aren't any). I will consider sponsorship from a company I believe in. Safe to say that nobody will see "Microsoft" on the side of my bike. Nor will I take on a sponsor that has a say in what I say or do. Having to tweet, "Man, I sure love these new Lemon Scented Fish Sticks from Panda Industries" once a week would kill the experience for me and for anyone following.

However, there's a great opportunity for a company (start-up, high-tech) who is looking for worldwide exposure or for a company who makes the gear I'm using. Being that I'm working on finding things like a tent, sleeping bag, a watch I can trust, extraction insurance, health insurance, riding gear, new laptop, a GoPro drone to follow me around, etc., a sponsor could really make a difference and be mutually beneficial. But it's still all about things I believe in, like HENDRICK'S!

Speaking of gear and the expenses associated with this trip prior to even leaving, I bought another camera for the trip:

It was a hard bullet to bite, but seeing as though I'm going to places I've never been and places I most likely won't see but once in my life, I figured I'd go with the best I could buy, despite the bend-over-and-cough price tag. Sony would be a nice sponsor. They never replied to my email. Hell, it'd be nice if they fixed the dirt-on-the-sensor issue my RX100 has had since I bought it (vs. charging me $250 for it, which I won't do).

As for Ducati, make no mistake, they do realize the importance of my R/Rs to their brand, but that importance all but evaporates if they were a sponsor. For them, it's a double edged sword. The value of my trips to them lies in the fact that they're NOT backing me. Best I can hope for is another COTA like trip at the end of mine + a big suitcase filled with money so I could host a party in Death Valley for anyone who's followed along!!!!

Course, if any web developers want to put up a "why did you purchase your Ducati" website with a survey that has "MotoGP, World Superbike, Magazine Ad, Twitter, or Antihero" as the options, it sure would be cool to track and see just what really sells bikes on Monday these days....
Old 03-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #531
Litemup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Nice choice on the new camera. Looking forward to your upcoming shenanigans and tomfoolery.
Litemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #532
NoSoup4U
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Dennis, this is getting so exciting!!!! You may want to think about some durable luggage. No matter how great the Kriega backpack is, there'll be times when even the jacket feels like too much to wear! I swear by the Ventura Rack for my bike ('I'll see if I can find a pic). Yes it looks somewhat ungainly, especially if you use the combination pack as I do. But the luggage absolutely does not move and is easy to take off for the night. It is less weight than the smallest passenger and the weight ‘disappears’ after a day or two of riding. I call it my "Stoner on the back". You'll also need a spot gps device or such, in case you're stranded in the wild with no way out. I am sure many people here would be happy to be called upon in an emergency, myself included!
Clemens
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #533
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=NoSoup4U;23617487]Dennis, this is getting so exciting!!!! You may want to think about some durable luggage. No matter how great the Kriega backpack is, there'll be times when even the jacket feels like too much to wear! I swear by the Ventura Rack for my bike ('I'll see if I can find a pic). Yes it looks somewhat ungainly, especially if you use the combination pack as I do. But the luggage absolutely does not move and is easy to take off for the night. It is less weight than the smallest passenger and the weight ‘disappears’ after a day or two of riding. I call it my "Stoner on the back". You'll also need a spot gps device or such, in case you're stranded in the wild with no way out. I am sure many people here would be happy to be called upon in an emergency, myself included!
Clemens

Thanks, Clemens....pics didn't come through, though. I'm going to go with a quick disconnect tank bag this time around instead of a tail pack. Leaning towards SW Motech. And I'm looking into a backpack. Investigating options. The Kriega tail pack was near perfect, but I can't say the same thing about the R30 backpack, so I'm looking into alternatives.

I should probably move this thread to trip planning....will do so in the morning so I can finish up with the PacNW trip and work with y'all to get my gear straight.

Litemup--I, too, am looking forward to my tomfoolery and shenanigans. :)
Old 03-05-2014, 12:46 AM   #534
Duflul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Not sure what I'm more jealous of, the trip or that camera :)

Might be a worthwhile investment to get some sort of gps device with advanced route planning options. I've noticed that the road numbers change a lot more over here, than in the us. Probably because a lot of the first roads where just based on old wagon trails and they added new "better" road incrementally over time a lot of times.

Other than that I can't wait for the trip to start and to start reading along.
And I hope to bump into you when you make it out to my neck of the woods.
Duflul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:56 AM   #535
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duflul View Post
Might be a worthwhile investment to get some sort of gps device with advanced route planning options. I've noticed that the road numbers change a lot more over here, than in the us. Probably because a lot of the first roads where just based on old wagon trails and they added new "better" road incrementally over time a lot of times.
Yea in the US/Canada you can usually just "avoid highways" and take the secondary routes, but in Europe there are a million ways to go. I never liked the GPS routing that much until I found Tomtoms "Winding roads - Maximum"! on smartphone. Otherwise Michelin maps!

I love my quick-connect SW Motech tankbag. The only shortfall is that if it really rains you need to put its rain cover on, but the quick-connect and quality is worth it. If the problem with the Kriega pack was rain, I use the Kriega dry packs inside it. ADAC is great insurance to have in Europe.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #536
No_Good_ID
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehu View Post
That's Redrock Park. 40 years ago it was one of my favorite places to visit.
Looks like Valley of Fire to me.
No_Good_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #537
NoSoup4U
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Thanks, Clemens....pics didn't come through, though.
Fixed the pics, should be there now.
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #538
travelR6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
Yea in the US/Canada you can usually just "avoid highways" and take the secondary routes, but in Europe there are a million ways to go. I never liked the GPS routing that much until I found Tomtoms "Winding roads - Maximum"! on smartphone. Otherwise Michelin maps!

I love my quick-connect SW Motech tankbag. The only shortfall is that if it really rains you need to put its rain cover on, but the quick-connect and quality is worth it. If the problem with the Kriega pack was rain, I use the Kriega dry packs inside it. ADAC is great insurance to have in Europe.
+1 on the sw motech tankbags. quickconnect is really handy and the 14-21l has a lot of storage possibilities. the raindcover is mounted really fast and then its 100% waterproof (from everything from above).

i also have a sw motech cargobag. it is really roomy and has a lot of possibilities to mount stuff upon the bag. also the nets on the sides are really handy for mounting something that has to be quickly accessible without going through your whole bag. the downside is, that the material it is made of is nylon. if it rains, it gets wet. in the maincompartment there is a huge sack inside made out of plastic, so that is the only waterproof space if you don't plan to put something rainproof above the bag.
and another anoying thing is that the bag moved on my r6 - don't get me wrong, it holds really good (200km/h on the autobahn was not the problem) but not so much on when you ride passes kinda fast downhill. when you brake hard the back moved a bit and sometimes needed a readjustment - but as i said i was kinda overloaded on the back of the bike and the back of the r6 is really small and not really friendly to mounting stuff on it. just something to consider before buying a cargobag from swmotech :)

camera choice is interesting. for this kind of money there would be quiet interesting alternatives out there, but i guess the size and the fullframe sensor sold you. i'd take the fuji x100 or the new xt-1 with a small prime lense any day over the rx1, but thats personal preference (would not go without a viewfinder).

travelR6 screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 09:48 AM
travelR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #539
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Trip planning thread is up: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post23621387

Clemens: that rear bag is HUGE!

TravelR6: Smallest full framed sensor is what sold me. There are some decisions for this trip that can't factor in financial considerations--a camera was one of them. It also uses the same batteries as my RX100, meaning I only need one charger/one spare set of batteries.

Squawk: thanks for the recommendations and the +1 on the SW Motech.

Duflul: will be looking you up when I get to Amsterdam!
Old 03-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #540
Scott916
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I'm in!

I've been lurking through the first two RRs. As an 1199s rider myself, you've got me looking at doing some longer rides this year for sure! I'm interested in potentially buying an "artifact" or two, but it doesn't look like you've got anything on your site as for sale right now. PM me with what you've got available!

I actually discovered Coast to Coast while recovering from a nasty crash back in July, I hit a piece of road debris that I just didn't see that put me on my head. I broke a couple of ribs and my left clavicle, but was otherwise okay thanks to full gear. Reading your report definitely kept my spirits up while I was waiting to be fit to ride again. It also helped me not wuss out of 1k miles in 48 hours two months later with my clavicle still not entirely connected! Thanks for the inspiration!
Scott916 is offline   Reply With Quote