Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
+1
Well said!
Old 09-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #77
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
It's scenes like this that remind me of what I / we miss out on when we stick with familiarity. I encourage everyone reading this to do one thing before the year is over: take a vacation day or a sick day. Pick a point on a map that's 4 hours away. And instead of going to work, drive to the point you picked, then turn around and drive back on a different route so you'll be home at roughly the same time you'd be home by had you actually gone to work. It's a day you'll never forget and you'll accomplish something you'll remember for the rest of your life. Hopefully you'll also be reminded of what you can see and accomplish in just one day....

this I mean...
Old 09-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #78
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
I’m still trying to figure it out. Take the ‘day off’ idea from above. Sneaking away for 8 hours without disrupting your normal life is relatively easy to do without anyone suspecting you made a prison break (unless you’re actually in prison). Multiply that times 3, then by 175. That’s enough freedom to fill a decade of adventure (and vacations), if not more.

It’s easy to overlook the stress, frustration and confusion, the financial implications, discomfort and adversity that accompany freedom, though. I cope with stress better than I do boredom, so that’s not a big deal to me. The frustration and confusion take their toll, as does uncertainty and overall discomfort, isolation and difficulty.

An inmate sent me a message just a couple days ago asking me about what I’d sacrificed to be on the road for so long. His inquiry came at the same time I was trying to figure out the answer to that very question. It’s easy to look at the practical sacrifices, but what’s not as clear is just six months changed me. The impact to my life was poignant, the effects catholic. What I don’t understand is the mechanism. There’s been a long-lasting, perhaps permanent side-effect of this sojourn had on my ability to function ‘normally’. I experienced tremendous things I never expected, things I wouldn’t trade for anything. Just not sure how it disrupted my sense of balance ever since. It’s an odd effect—and I can’t say it even bothers me, but it’s strange. By the end of such a long trip, after forging friendships and learning about 16,000 miles of North America and myself, I expected to have a sense of certainty, of clarity. But just the opposite happened. It was as if someone very close to me had died when I made it back to the Pacific Ocean. I mourned for a couple days, then hit the road again. The dead rose, severe withdrawal was over. I’d end up in places like Marfa, driving by suspicious border patrol agents as I searched a 20 mile stretch of road for a particular location.

(Found it!)

And one location would lead to another….

And another

And another. Seems easy to think that perhaps I was searching for something, but from the subjects of my photos I think I was looking to be lost:

The time of ‘day’ I visited the Alamo seems to indicate the same:

Those days were a blur. Time deformed, places bled into each other like days easily do. But the ‘blurdom’ isn’t like a haze. It’s more like that picture of the Lochness Monster or Bigfoot…the details may not be crisp, but the impression makes a huge impact.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:32 AM   #79
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

I’d like to say I couldn’t stop living the trip, but that’s only an explanation of my actions, not the root of the cause. Certainty, predictability and familiarity were almost intolerable. So much so that I never established a permanent residence and even absconded to hotels when I needed to escape, write, focus, defocus or just ‘Room 19’ it. The trip continued on by momentum even though I should have been at rest. Then of course there was a trip to CotA for the 1199R launch, a fellow inmate invited me to meet up in NY (insane time!), overnight trips to at Buttonwillow, Sonoma Raceway and Thunderhill for track days. I bugged out in Death Valley (twice), drove back and forth between SF and LA more times than I can recall. In any given week my head might see 5 different pillows. And when that wasn’t enough restlessness, I’d wander at night (sometimes with a camera)

Perhaps darkness, rain, fog, were my ways of experiencing the familiar in an unfamiliar way?

You can only imagine how the state of mind I'm in contributes to the development of positive, healthy relationships. There seems to be only one constant: that I disappear, and emerge somewhere else, as if my life had folded into two and under the connected planes of the present, moments looped underneath. Moments that only I knew were there.

Traveling is a contradictory, temporary defense against the inevitability of my next trip; an insatiable need that intensifies the more I feed it. I’m still trying to discover just what makes me get up in the middle of the night and leave, what’s making it impossible for me to grow roots (or even want to). I’ve looked at places to buy, places to rent, places to sublet, cities to reside in, but have found none.

So for now I have just one key in my pocket that fits just one motorcycle.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #80
kneedrag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Trip

Great photos and writings Dennis, I wouldnt expect anything less......
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails- Explore, Dream, Discover"

Mark Twain
kneedrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #81
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,438
Dear God, this has the makings of "Zen and the Art of an Italian Superbike" written all over it. I would like to sign up for the first copy (autographed, of course) that is printed.

But, please forget I just said that! Go ride. Experience. Enjoy. Photograph. Meet. Eat. Drink. Party. Contemplate. Weep. Smile. Do a fuckin' wheelie!

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #82
pwh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Nice to meet ya at Motocorsa (I was the glove guy).

Ride safe and stay dry.

Paul
pwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #83
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,241
Fucking awesome read.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #84
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks, guys. I always cringe a little when I hit 'reload', just prior to reading the comments after a night of writing, wondering if I've gone off the deep end, became intelligible or insane. Happy I'm not there yet.

'Sup, Paul! After riding back to my place here (I got lost about 17 times) I'm completely soaked, and so is all my gear. Should be dry by Monday. Hit me up if you want to go for a ride or grab a bite. ;)

I'll do a full write-up on MotoCorsa, but for now: they just finished a bike build--the kind of bike that makes me think maybe 'Round the World with an Italian Supermodel' isn't as crazy as it sounds:

Of course, it's no supermodel anymore....more like 'Round the World with an Italian TerraCorsa"

Sick, just sick.

Something this cool shouldn't exist.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #85
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post

'Round the World with an Italian TerraCorsa"

Sick, just sick. Yes.

Something this cool shouldn't exist. Yes, yes it should
That. Is. Badass.

Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #86
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,374
"Humvucati"
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #87
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
That is an awesome bike! But why the covered tail section? part of the design? trying to hide something? or is it a bag?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #88
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
That is an awesome bike! But why the covered tail section? part of the design? trying to hide something? or is it a bag?
Bags.
Look at the pic with our hero astride the.... umm.... whatever that thing is now. Freakin' sweet!

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #89
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
Yep--gear bag. They headed off towards the drier sections of Oregon (East/SE). For pics/vid, check out Moto Corsa's Facebook. I'm not on FB, so me have no links.

Video of them leaving the shop here.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #90
lurw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Wait... is that a smile right there??

Glad you are still on the road and making new experiences. I really appreciate how unfiltered and honest you tell us about your trip. Especially your last post about wandering at night etc. was pretty deep and personal, I like that.

Keep doing what you do, I'm sure there will come the time you'll find the perfect place to settle down for a while. Until you find this - keep enjoying the hell out of your life of daily discoveries!