RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,504
You hooked me last time so I'm in.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:06 AM   #107
Duflul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
My old riding instructor always referred to rain gear as rain delay gear. Cause in his 25 years of riding he had never worn anything that was a 100% waterproof.
But it shouldn't be so hard to stick someone in a wind tunnel and turn the hose on him.
I agree with you on how hard it is to find a competent mechanic. My tire guy is great and cheap, but doesn't do anything more than basic maintenance, so I've learned to do it all myself. But you can't do that on a trip like yours, unless you get someone to drive a support vehicle.

btw kriega (at least on their uk site) say that the main compartment is water proof and the external pockets are water resistant.
Duflul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #108
JoshS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I did a ~9k mile trip this summer and used the Tour Master Elite Series 2 1-piece rain suit. It looks dorky and is better suited for short fat guys, but I rode in several days of rain including a downpour in outside of Memphis that made me think of your rain experience in Colorado from your last RR, and it didn't leak a bit. I'm 5'10 175lbs and wore a large, which I found to be a little too short. I remedied this by getting some of those little booty things, but a pair of taller goretex boots (not sure what you have) would have been fine.
JoshS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #109
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,544
Sadly, Harley makes the best rain suit I have ever worn.
The hood, wrist, and ankles synch up tight like scuba gear.
Pockets zip and have Velcro flap.
It's fairly inexpensive at $150.
Check it out.
The sad part is that there is the biggest EVER Harley logo in reflective material on the back.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #110
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Aerostich. Yes, they are ugly (eye of the beholder I guess) and it is like wearing a large stiff polyester bag but they work. They certainly don't worry about style points.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #111
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
My $19 suit, purchased from K-Mart (I think), during a storm near Auburn, CA, lasted 10 years and doubled as a snowboarding suit. Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you get reamed. I'm taking the Rev'it one back and am just going to cut a hole in a shower curtain, put my head through it and ride dry from now on!
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #112
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Portland

I've always said, Oregon is a funky place ....

.... but you portray Portland in a whole new Light .... HA!

hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #113
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

I was told and read the Joe Rocket Ballistic lined jacket/pant set was waterproof. Ah, no it's not and I had a ruined passport and dripping wallet to prove it emerging from a 6 hour downpour of biblical proportions. I liked the idea of one less thing to pack taking up space in the form of a rain suit. No such luck.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #114
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 430
Regardless of 'waterproof claims'...it's always a good idea to use ziploc bags as backup to protect important stuff. FWIW, a decent riding suit like the two-piece Road crafter will keep you dry and also provide considerable crash protection.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #115
JamesM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
Regardless of 'waterproof claims'...it's always a good idea to use ziploc bags as backup to protect important stuff.
Duly noted!

Dennis, Rev'it just wanted to cool off that leg from thermal nuclear exhaust heat and remind your nuts that you're still alive. -Look at is as a feature.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #116
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 171
Eh? Waterproof?

Kathmandu pants are, I hear from locals, actually waterproof and warm. Looking at a pair myself. That said, fisherman's PVC rain bibs from any outdoor store will do in a pinch.

I can attest to my Aerostich Courier Bag being absolutely waterproof. The down-side is your stuff can take a hammering in that bag. Not a term goes by I don't burn the corners off books, scratch the hell out of hardcovers, pop paperback covers, split foam padding laminations. Pack and pad delicate stuff accordingly. However, two years-plus of this abuse and it hasn't popped a thread or let water in. A few panels of white closed-cell foam prevent major damage to my laptop.

Zip-Loc Freezer bags are what you need; they're tough enough to survive prolonged use even in my hands. Knock-off bags tend to split under the zip or outright fail. Major pain in the hind-parts: DAMHIK.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #117
3B43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Waterproof gear: remember, if it has seams, it will probably leak... At the most inoppurtune time. Ive spent some time 'in the elements' and rain gear comes in two catagorys----EXPENSIVE or plastic. Take your pick. IF you come back through Eureka, drop me a note. I can offer a king size bed, in our NEW house, BBQ filet & martini's!
3B43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #118
NoSoup4U
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Hey Dennis, these plastic rain suits are cumbersome, often you don't even have time to out them on before you get wet. I sprung for an aerostich waterproof leather suit. It is expensive but I use it on all my longer tours and it offers great protection! Together with waterproof touring boots and Held two in one gloves, I don't worry about downpours, just keep riding. Yes it can be warm in the summer but better sweating than bleeding :) Btw keep those thoughtful posts coming. You have an incredible mind, keep sharing it!
Clemens
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #119
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

As per a couple others here, yes I've become a Zip Loc bag user. In fairness, the Ballistic products are armored and are fine in a light sprinkle or quick run through a shower. In my situation described above I may as well have been bobbing in the ocean. It was sick.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #120
AK Smitty
Self life coach

Oddometer: 318
Still struggling after my 4 month ride that ended in March

An inmate sent me a message just a couple days ago asking me about what I’d sacrificed to be on the road for so long. His inquiry came at the same time I was trying to figure out the answer to that very question. It’s easy to look at the practical sacrifices, but what’s not as clear is just six months changed me. The impact to my life was poignant, the effects catholic. What I don’t understand is the mechanism. There’s been a long-lasting, perhaps permanent side-effect of this sojourn had on my ability to function ‘normally’. I experienced tremendous things I never expected, things I wouldn’t trade for anything. Just not sure how it disrupted my sense of balance ever since. It’s an odd effect—and I can’t say it even bothers me, but it’s strange. By the end of such a long trip, after forging friendships and learning about 16,000 miles of North America and myself, I expected to have a sense of certainty, of clarity. But just the opposite happened. It was as if someone very close to me had died when I made it back to the Pacific Ocean. I mourned for a couple days, then hit the road again. The dead rose, severe withdrawal was over. I’d end up in places like Marfa, driving by suspicious border patrol agents as I searched a 20 mile stretch of road for a particular location.

When you figure it out I'd like to know!

I am not sure what changes inside a person and I know I dont want to be on the road forever but not being on the road/riding a has been a constant struggle since I returned to work in April. 25K miles last year and it just can not happen this year because of paying back time I took away to play.

For me it is a battle of chasing enrichment and forfilment but always with a looming doubt. Doubt that I may be missing something by not giving into a "more normal life" by others standards. I really don't believe I am missing anything but it is still a constant thought! Maybe I am just selfish or a dick since I would rather go riding or even read an RR over going to another B day party for a 2 year old kid of one my friends.

Keep the RR coming hopefully this time next year I will be writing from the road again.

I am here: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...f53b74b2cb510d
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote