Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #121
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,141
Thing is--I had ziploc bags! Just hadn't put everything in 'em. Live and learn.

A 2-piece suit (to go over my leathers) should be here by the end of the week. I've been through rain before, of course, and I guess that spartan, stoic side of me that absolutely hates full rain gear has, over the past week, warmed up to the idea of being warm and slightly less uncomfortable. Probably has something to do with how cold it is in the place I've been staying and my inability to take a real, hot shower. All changes soon, though!

(Makes me want to rush down to Eureka for martinis and steak, 3B43!)

Smitty: Always difficult trying to figure out if what we're really doing is a compromise or not. There are always opportunity sacrifices for any activity, but I can guarantee you that you're not missing anything by skipping out on those children's birthday parties!!!!!
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #122
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Smitty: Always difficult trying to figure out if what we're really doing is a compromise or not. There are always opportunity sacrifices for any activity, but I can guarantee you that you're not missing anything by skipping out on those children's birthday parties!!!!!
IMO, the biggest factor in whether one is missing out is whether one is fully availing him-/herself to the current moment. Whenever you find yourself holding back and distancing yourself from your experience, you're missing out on something. If you're feeling anxious, you're living in the future. If you're depressed, you're living in the past. If you're truly happy, you're living in the moment.

When you're fully in the moment, you're not going to miss anything.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #123
tgroenbeck
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Thing is--I had ziploc bags! Just hadn't put everything in 'em. Live and learn.

A 2-piece suit (to go over my leathers) should be here by the end of the week. I've been through rain before, of course, and I guess that spartan, stoic side of me that absolutely hates full rain gear has, over the past week, warmed up to the idea of being warm and slightly less uncomfortable. Probably has something to do with how cold it is in the place I've been staying and my inability to take a real, hot shower. All changes soon, though!

(Makes me want to rush down to Eureka for martinis and steak, 3B43!)

Cheap PVC rain jacket and pants worn over the riding gear with welded seams (for fishermen or construction workers) worked best for me. Only problem that remained after several hours in the rain were the Gore Tex gloves, they finally started leaking, but I was lucky and had heated grips.
tgroenbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #124
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ducati just released the video summarizing my (previous) Coast to Coast adventure.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #125
RobertJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Simply amazing.
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #126
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 488
Great video and congratulations on being part of a fantastic brand.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #127
Z0RR0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Glad to see you on the road again. So this is a warmup for a round-the-world trip?
Old 10-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #128
Nymoto
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Bravo. Bravo.
Nymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #129
lurw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Cool video, Dennis, nice to see and hear you talk!

What I enjoy the most out of your posts, pics and stories is that you aren't some kind of strange guy, or someone so untouchable we couldn't connect with. Apart from your superior writing skills, you seem like a cool, down-to-earth (I mean, you call yourself AntiHero), extremely likeable guy who managed to pursue something many of us just dream of in our daily lives. I applaud you for the immense amount of inspiration you continue to spread out into the world!

The TL;DR of your trips basically seems to be: Go out there, out of the comfort zone, and do what you wish to do.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #130
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Ducati just released the video summarizing my (previous) Coast to Coast adventure.

Damn. That turned out really, really well.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #131
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Damn. That turned out really, really well.
Yeah, I don't know. He seems really normal in that video. I was hoping he was more "superstar" I guess.

Just kidding!

Really, it's awesome!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #132
Backcountryboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Wow, great video. , did you ever think your need to ride would end up with a amazing video like that?
Backcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #133
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

lurw and fifthcircle: you're both right. It's slightly absurd for me when I meet people who have followed my ride report(s). Sometimes there's a 'holy moment', but more often than not, a 'deflation' occurs. I can see it in their eyes and shoulders; I can hear the banal disappointment in their voice, the droop in their eyes. Not sure what they expected, but when it's discovered that I'm a normal guy, well, it's kind of uncomfortable for me and unrewarding for them.

Those who know me and those who think they know me--hell, they have all kinds of contradictory opinions. And maybe all of them (maybe none of them?) are correct. I'm an INTP, perhaps too aloof to correct anyone, too theoretical to care.

But for everyone who's read what I've written prior to this thread, everyone who's came to the conclusion that I'm special in some way, here's the real deal:
I'm not. I'm no hero. I'm no super-anything. I'm just a normal guy. I wasn't born unique. In fact, I've always been kind of weak and deformed. I went through some hard shit, but nearly everyone has. And this is the point, this is the point of everything I've shared: ordinary people can do some pretty extraordinary things. That's the definition, my definition, of AntiHero: extraordinary things can be done by ordinary people. (I don't think extraordinary people even exist.)

And for all those who've met me (or might) in person, I'm guarded and not always revealing. There's something inhuman and uncomfortable, and mostly not in a good way. If I appear artificial, it's not because I'm insincere, it's just that I'm not sure how to behave. But when I write I expose my thoughts with a clarity that's a near-direct-mental-transfer. Those who read what I've written are, momentarily, inside my mind. And for that brief duration I'm able to speak directly in a way that most people in the 'real' world never communicate. I rarely (never?) feel comfortable enough to harness that in person, but this is me, these words on a page are more me than any video or in-person conversation could ever reveal.

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 02:14 AM
Old 10-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #134
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,406
D-Man

I just caught up in this new Adventure for you & da Duc.

Great stuff as usual.

Rain gear = Frogg Toggs about $70. For a 2 piece, mine have never leaked & they're breathable!

All the best

Rhino

Sent from the basement. Hey Ma more meatloaf.
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #135
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
these words on a page are more me than any video or in-person conversation could ever reveal.
That right there is the truth for which all 'real writers' strive. And whether or not we were to like each other in real life matters not a lick to me; I'm rather fond of the spirit I've met here.