Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 06:36 AM   #136
Darel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelR6 View Post
hi darel,

unfortunatley thats the part of austria i don't know to much about. but i have a motorcycle tourbook on austrian roads, will make some copys of the maps if you are interested. also mariazell (wildalpen), which is somewhere "near" vienna is definitly a visit worth. also very beautiful scenery and roads there :)

i'll start my tour from linz (upper austria). how is camping in slovenia/croatia.. are there a lot of campingplaces and is wildcamping allowed? on my last trip there were plenty campingplaces (every 40km or so) and i never had a problem finding a place without reservation.
Wild camping is not allowed in turistical areas. If you are adventurous enough then you can find a lot of hidden places, or u can use camps with toilets, water and everything. Camps can be found everywhere.
People are usually rushing through Slovenia and go directly to the coast. Nothing wrong with that, but they miss a lot of beautifull roads and splendid scenery. Adriatic coast in superb, but there is only one real road worth riding (till Dalmatian region at least). The coastal road from Rijeka to Zadar. And usually Istria falls out from the plans. Istria is the most developed region and has some beautiful old towns (Motovun, Porec, Rovinj...). Just go by the sea and enjoy.
Now, about Slovenia. Eastern part has it's own beauties but it's not very different from your region. I would go through Villach and access SLO to the Loiblpass. Then Trzic, Bled, Bohinj and backtrack to Radovljica. North to Kranjska Gora and up to Vrsic pass and down to Trenta walley. There is a lot of camps. Then go south Bovec, Kobarid, Nova Gorica. Then real carst region begin. Stanjel, Dutovlje, Sezana, Crni Kal, Koper. Then along the coast (I didn't use čšž letters in names - you probably don't have them on the board )

Don't hesitate to ask additional questions and please, do some copies of roadbook.
Darel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:44 AM   #137
Darel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Smlednik Castle

Even short ride is better than no ride. Was a little cold on the way back as sun was already down.
Castle is on the step hill and was unconquerable at its best times. The only castle that Counts from Celeia actually bought (not conquer or acquired by marriage). A little of history doesn't hurt, does it

Šmarna gora

The castle

Old 04-14-2014, 01:31 AM   #138
Darel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was driving around but didn't publish anything. I don't want to this thread became too monotonic, with a lot of similar pics.
Spring is here and wish to go somewhere further than just to the hills around is growing rapidly Firstly the tires change. I allways feel like a child when putting new rubber on, anticipate different feelings. Actually the bike usually become completely different...

Round, black, but totally different..

I'll say goodbye to back roads for some time. Asphalt is calling.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #139
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,812
Hi Darel,

Great pix. What a really great section of the world you live in. Thanks for taking us along on your day trips and short adventures! I find it very refreshing to see shots of some lesser-known Alpine passes, ones that aren't jam-packed with tourist busses or excess numbers of motorcyclists. And the crystal clear Mediterranean waters are SO enticing!

Ride on, brother and keep the shiny side up.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #140
Darel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
Hi Darel,

Great pix. What a really great section of the world you live in. Thanks for taking us along on your day trips and short adventures! I find it very refreshing to see shots of some lesser-known Alpine passes, ones that aren't jam-packed with tourist busses or excess numbers of motorcyclists. And the crystal clear Mediterranean waters are SO enticing!

Ride on, brother and keep the shiny side up.
Now that you mentioned it I miss crystal Maditerannean waters even more. Luckily new rubber is on and eager to put on some miles.
Glad to have you along
Old 04-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #141
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,042
Most enjoyable reading! Great photography and interesting dialogue. The closest I made it to that area of Europe (I was stationed in Germany as a pianist in the US Air Force Band from 2000-2003) was Sarajevo B-H, Croatia and Slovakia. Too bad I was bike-less at the time. Beautiful country, and I've told many people I would love to take my bike and ride all over the Balkans and areas west (Czech Rep), as well as a month in Turkey. Maybe when I win the lottery.

Keep up the great work! Thanks for posting.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 05:58 PM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 AM   #142
Darel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
Most enjoyable reading! Great photography and interesting dialogue. The closest I made it to that area of Europe (I was stationed in Germany as a pianist in the US Air Force Band from 2000-2003) was Sarajevo B-H, Croatia and Slovakia. Too bad I was bike-less at the time. Beautiful country, and I've told many people I would love to take my bike and ride all over the Balkans and areas west (Czech Rep), as well as a month in Turkey. Maybe when I win the lottery.

Keep up the great work! Thanks for posting.
Unfortunately a lot of things in our lives are connected with the money (or lack of it).
Modern adventure certainly is, but not if one is willing to do it old fashioned way ...I'm not there yet
Old 04-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #143
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Oddometer: 6,253
This was fun!

Old 04-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #144
Backmarker61
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
So so sooo beautiful... truly amazing. Thanks so much for sharing. I have never been exposed to Slovenia before. So glad you took the time to share this with us. A little gem you live in there.

Some parts of our modern world are a real bitch, but being able to experience different places in forums like this may make it all worth it.

Anyways, thanks!
Old 04-17-2014, 12:00 AM   #145
Darel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for replies. I'm glad that somebody is reading

It's nice to have ADV forum, must agree about that. I know some parts now like beeing there for real. But the best about this forum is, that it is on very high level of communication. Can't remember any insulting words written or other unpleasanties. So thumbs up also for admins and one big thank to them.

Darel screwed with this post 04-17-2014 at 12:26 AM
Old 04-17-2014, 12:47 AM   #146
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Hey Darel this is just what need I, ll be over your way and the rest of he Balkans for the whole of June, can, t wait it looks fantastic
Phil
Old 04-17-2014, 11:33 PM   #147
Darel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
Hey Darel this is just what need I, ll be over your way and the rest of he Balkans for the whole of June, can, t wait it looks fantastic
Phil
Glad that you found something useful. Contact me for additional info.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #148
Darel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Still on short rides

The only prognosis which didn't include the rain was for the east. We went without a plan, actually the only plan was to ride as far from rain as possible.

First, we took care of fuel (fuc...... gray day )

Then rolled to the hills

What are this ropes for?? (I brew my own beer so I'm just playing ignorant :-) )

Not finished yet....

Darel screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 05:51 AM
Old 04-30-2014, 06:02 AM   #149
Darel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We even made few photos of me on bike (rarity, must say). I'll put on two of them, sufficient for a while...

And then, after awhile tarmac ended again (same old story) but that certainly didn't stop us.

We came pretty high, a little rain caught us but no one cared

And gravel was perfectly fine

Have some pics left...
Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #150
Darel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That's it