ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #106
60av8tor
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Oddometer: 46
Game, no game, whatever their strategy... life is too short; my build date is 30 SEP.

Recently had a bike that came with an RDL and I want another one! Bought a second seat for this very reason. Was just about to drop the order when I saw this, so no biggie. Sure it would sting a bit if it were turned back on tomorrow, but honestly, in the grand scheme of things, the $ I'd save if I'd hold out would be pissed away by something else while I sat and wondered if the GB would get turned back on.

IMO the second seat is the only way to go - no down time and the ability to keep or sell when I replace the bike.

To the organizer, thank you, Sir, for your efforts. You may kindly remove me from the list and make the day of 151>.
__________________
Jonathan

'12 R1200RT
'08 R1200RT (totaled May '13. RIP )
60av8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #107
Trippps
Fool
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Alabama Swamps, NY
Oddometer: 80
To be honest, My Rocket Touring long haul seat is pretty comfortable, I'm not in a real hurry to replace it. If I get a good deal on one via the GB, I will, otherwise, probably not.
Trippps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #108
fammdw
Adventurer
 
fammdw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgross View Post
It's an interesting game that we're playing.

We riders recognize the quality of RDL's product and would love to sit on it. But it is expensive. So some of us only dream.

RDL, like any business, experiences "seasonal" peaks and troughs in it's sales, so sometimes it offers "special pricing" as a stimulus during the slow times.

As word has gotten out about seasonal "group buys", RDL's sales have probably evened out - but are they actually selling more saddles? Or are buyers who might otherwise have payed full price during "peak" season - or in the Fall - delaying until winter and paying less?

Only RDL knows for sure, but their Fall business does NOT need to suffer as we eager "thrifty" potential future buyers scare away REAL buyers NOW.

We act like we're helping them, but we might actually only be messing up their sales NOW.

It's no wonder that they want to be "in charge" of if/when/how they offer a "winter incentive". They are not "the bad guys", they are just trying to run a profitable business....
Sure we may be messing up their sales now, but very few last year and I suspect just as few this year will break off the GB list as the poster above did to buy a seat at full price now.

Most of the list members here have thought about a RDL seat for sometime, but refused to pay their premium price. Quite a few have missed out on a group buy in year's past and vowed to get in on the next one that takes place. Others have bought before during a group buy and have since bought a new bike they would like to see equipped with a RDL.

Of course they are not the bad guys, but let's be real here... Most people that want a seat now are going to buy a seat now. They are not going to wait until it's too cold to ride (if there is such a thing) to order a seat at a discount. Only we "thrifty" people are going to do that and a great number us are so thrifty that we will only buy when the beloved discount is applied.

I care just enough now to wait a while and see if this thing happens. If it does, great. If not, I'll be trying either a mustang wide touring seat or a custom from Rick Mayer.
__________________
Mike Williams
Wichita, Kansas
2013 HD FLHTK AE

fammdw screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 07:14 PM
fammdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #109
fammdw
Adventurer
 
fammdw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippps View Post
To be honest, My Rocket Touring long haul seat is pretty comfortable, I'm not in a real hurry to replace it. If I get a good deal on one via the GB, I will, otherwise, probably not.
I feel pretty much the same way about my Hammock. If I had an ounce of sense I would save my money and not buy anything.

It's great for day trips and when I throw my Airhawk R on it, it's tour worthy. Maybe I should just buy me those Rinehart pipes I've been thinking about!
__________________
Mike Williams
Wichita, Kansas
2013 HD FLHTK AE

fammdw screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 07:28 PM
fammdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #110
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Wlfman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: TN/AL
Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by fammdw View Post
Sure we may be messing up their sales now, but very few last year and I suspect just as few this year will break off the GB list as the poster above did to buy a seat at full price now.

Most of the list members here have thought about a RDL seat for sometime, but refused to pay their premium price. Quite a few have missed out on a group buy in year's past and vowed to get in on the next one that takes place. Others have bought before during a group buy and have since bought a new bike they would like to see equipped with a RDL.

Of course they are not the bad guys, but let's be real here... Most people that want a seat now are going to buy a seat now. They are not going to wait until it's too cold to ride (if there is such a thing) to order a seat at a discount. Only we "thrifty" people are going to do that and a great number us are so thrifty that we will only buy when the beloved discount is applied.

I care just enough now to wait a while and see if this thing happens. If it does, great. If not, I'll be trying either a mustang wide touring seat or a custom from Rick Mayer.
Same here.
__________________
I ride not to add days to my life, but to add life to my days.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #111
Matt fe2o3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Oddometer: 492
Rick Meyer and RDL share the same technology, yes? No? I read somewhere, or thought I did there was a sale of some sort from RM to RDL. Are they pretty much equivalents?
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #112
fammdw
Adventurer
 
fammdw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt fe2o3 View Post
Rick Meyer and RDL share the same technology, yes? No? I read somewhere, or thought I did there was a sale of some sort from RM to RDL. Are they pretty much equivalents?
I have also heard that the Mayer family owned what is now RDL, but not sure if it's true. Both Mayer brothers build a RDL-like seat but I think RDL owns the rights to the spring style wing seat. If you look at the two side by side you can see the difference.
__________________
Mike Williams
Wichita, Kansas
2013 HD FLHTK AE
fammdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #113
charliektm400exc
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Hobart
Oddometer: 26
RDL v Mayer?

I have been looking for a good seat for some time and had settled on the idea of a RDL, so jumped on the group buy list as I don't know when I would have, if ever got around to buying one otherwise. Main reason for picking the RDL was I could find lots of people who had had a RDL and another type and said the RDL was best, but almost none, if any, that said the opposite.

Anyway a few people are talking about Mayer saddles, I've never heard of Mayer so just done some research. They sound good, but in the same vein as above, has anybody had a RDL and a Mayer? Comments on both? Which would you buy again and why?

Thanks
charliektm400exc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #114
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Warwick, NY
Oddometer: 155
Yes. I've had both a RICK Mayer and an RDL. While the Mayer is a nice seat, the RDL is better, in my opinion. The RDL breaks in to a nice pocket you sit into and you never think about discomfort again. The Mayer is good but never really changes from the day you first put your butt on it. It's firm, yet comfortable. When I purchased my R1200RT I had choice as I had experience with both and chose RDL.

Having said all that, keep a very close eye on this thread folks. I can't provide details yet but within the next few days I'm going to make an announcement.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #115
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Warwick, NY
Oddometer: 155
Regarding Mayer once owning RDL. Here's how the story goes, as I understand it. Bill Mayer Sr invented what we now know as the RDL seat and was quite successful back in, I think the early 80's. He sold the rights the to suspension seat system to, what is now, RDL with the agreement he wouldn't make seats for xx number of years. Bill Mayer has two sons, Rick and Bill jr (aka Rocky). When Sr passed Rocky took over what is now Bill Mayer Saddles (BMS) and Rick formed his own company. My understanding is a BMS and an RMS are not that far apart in terms of design and comfort. Rick uses high end, medical grade, foams. Where Bill uses high end foam and some sort of high end "core" system. Comfort between the two is supposedly equal. YMMV.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #116
double_entendre
Ticking away the....
 
double_entendre's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Oddometer: 3,851
FWIW, I shot RDL a note (without mentioning the group buy! Don't shoot!) and asked a few questions.

One that might be pertinent here is that they can build an RDL seat on a Sargent seat pan. I have a "spare" and after riding on it for 1500 miles I hate it.

For those of you with shorter passengers, I had RDL build my FJR's saddle so that the passenger seat was a few inches higher than normal. It looks a little funny, but my wife is happy and at the end of the day I care more about her being happy and our bums not being sore.
__________________
"I have an offer for $1600 shipped behind you, but I'm not a dick so you're first in line. "
--scibeer
double_entendre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #117
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Warwick, NY
Oddometer: 155
Ok folks. I, unexpectedly, got the details early and was able to put together the following deal with.................... Bill Mayer Saddles.

Before I provide the details let me state the following. I am, in no way, upset with RDL and their decision not to have a group buy this year. Am I disappointed, yes. I'm a fan of RDL and was looking forward to a new seat. However, they run a business to make a profit, that's what all businesses do, and they have to make business decisions that they feel best support their business and their business plan. On the other hand, we, as consumers, have a right to spend money where we feel we get the best value for our hard earned dollars. For me, an RDL at 20% off hits that mark and, unfortunately, that's not going to be the case this year. So, with all that being said........ Read on.

I spoke with Bill Mayer today (He prefers to be called Rocky) and we worked out the following group buy to those that are interested in his offer. I think he's being more than fair at offering his seats on a group buy for us at 25% off. He's requiring at least 50 committed sales to honor the discount and is prepared for as many orders as we can throw his way. However, he would like to have this group buy complete by the end of November. Meaning, he would like to have all orders fulfilled and back to you, the customer, by late November. He requested I make clear to everyone that your seats will be converted and on their way back to you in 3-4 days from the day they receive your seat and that he will begin scheduling/building seats as soon as we hit the 50 seat threshold.

I'm going to create a new thread for the Bill Mayer Group Buy 2013-14 and will begin taking names immediately for the new list. See the new thread for details on how to get on the list. There are still a few, logistical, issues to work out with Bill.
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #118
fammdw
Adventurer
 
fammdw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Oddometer: 53
Hmmm... Not what I was hoping to hear from the announcement. I just ordered a Mustang Super Touring Saddle from Dennis Kirk. They have a great 90 day return policy. If I like the Mustang, I'm out of it all. If not, I'll return it and figure something else out.
__________________
Mike Williams
Wichita, Kansas
2013 HD FLHTK AE

fammdw screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 05:26 AM
fammdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #119
charliektm400exc
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Hobart
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kltk1 View Post
Ok folks. I, unexpectedly, got the details early and was able to put together the following deal with.................... Bill Mayer Saddles.

Before I provide the details let me state the following. I am, in no way, upset with RDL and their decision not to have a group buy this year. Am I disappointed, yes. I'm a fan of RDL and was looking forward to a new seat. However, they run a business to make a profit, that's what all businesses do, and they have to make business decisions that they feel best support their business and their business plan. On the other hand, we, as consumers, have a right to spend money where we feel we get the best value for our hard earned dollars. For me, an RDL at 20% off hits that mark and, unfortunately, that's not going to be the case this year. So, with all that being said........ Read on.

I spoke with Bill Mayer today (He prefers to be called Rocky) and we worked out the following group buy to those that are interested in his offer. I think he's being more than fair at offering his seats on a group buy for us at 25% off. He's requiring at least 50 committed sales to honor the discount and is prepared for as many orders as we can throw his way. However, he would like to have this group buy complete by the end of November. Meaning, he would like to have all orders fulfilled and back to you, the customer, by late November. He requested I make clear to everyone that your seats will be converted and on their way back to you in 3-4 days from the day they receive your seat and that he will begin scheduling/building seats as soon as we hit the 50 seat threshold.

I'm going to create a new thread for the Bill Mayer Group Buy 2013-14 and will begin taking names immediately for the new list. See the new thread for details on how to get on the list. There are still a few, logistical, issues to work out with Bill.
So the immediate question for me is, will you still keep this list in case RDL change their mind?

After the response I got above I would prefer a RDL to a Bill Mayer.
charliektm400exc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #120
fammdw
Adventurer
 
fammdw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliektm400exc View Post
So the immediate question for me is, will you still keep this list in case RDL change their mind?

After the response I got above I would prefer a RDL to a Bill Mayer.
I think kltk1 has given up on Russell Day Long and I can't say that I blame him. They have shit on him as they shit on me the year before. The way they shit on the GL 1800 GB administrator the year before that and the FJR 1300 administrator the year before that. RDL cares only about a dollar and nothing about the institution that makes their business successful; word of mouth advertising on the Internet Motorcycle Forums.

I'm going to date myself here and many of you young guys won't even know what I'm talking about...

I'm like Joel Goodson (Tom Cruise in Risky Business) when the Admissions Officer tells him he's not Princeton material.

"Look's like the University of Illinois!"

Russell Day Long can kiss my Wayfarer sunglasses wearing ass!!
__________________
Mike Williams
Wichita, Kansas
2013 HD FLHTK AE
fammdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014