ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #121
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Warwick, NY
Oddometer: 171
Folks, IF I hear from RDL I will certainly post up whatever information they give me. I'm taking them at their word that they won't be having a group buy this year. They seemed to make it pretty clear that even if they do offer a discount it will not be in the form of a group buy but as a sale and it will be open to anyone interested in a seat. While that makes the list I have irrelevant, I am going to hold on to the list just in case RDL has a change of heart and asks for it.

Having said all that, I have chosen not to wait to see if RDL posts a sale this year and worked out a more attractive group buy with Bill Mayer Saddles. Feel free to join the group buy for a BMS seat in the new thread I created for it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #122
double_entendre
Ticking away the....
 
double_entendre's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Oddometer: 4,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by fammdw View Post
I think kltk1 has given up on Russell Day Long and I can't say that I blame him. They have shit on him as they shit on me the year before. The way they shit on the GL 1800 GB administrator the year before that and the FJR 1300 administrator the year before that. RDL cares only about a dollar and nothing about the institution that makes their business successful; word of mouth advertising on the Internet Motorcycle Forums.

I'm going to date myself here and many of you young guys won't even know what I'm talking about...

I'm like Joel Goodson (Tom Cruise in Risky Business) when the Admissions Officer tells him he's not Princeton material.

"Look's like the University of Illinois!"

Russell Day Long can kiss my Wayfarer sunglasses wearing ass!!
I think I'll wait and see. Maybe do a few hundred mile day on the stock seat and see how it goes. I've heard a lot more good about RDL than bad. Love the one on my FJR and can wait for RDL to put it on sale. Hell, might do a ride in this time. How's Shasta in winter?

I do think Mayer has unquestionably won the PR battle right now, though. And thousands of dollars of business. Even with the group buy discount, I'm sure they're making a profit.

Oh yeah.

You're old.











Class of 1985 here. Guess I'm old too.
__________________
Helmets save lives. Loud pipes annoy voters.
double_entendre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #123
fammdw
Adventurer
 
fammdw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_entendre View Post
Oh yeah.

You're old.



Class of 1985 here. Guess I'm old too.
Yep... I bet we both own the same color pair of parachute pants. Olive green!
__________________
Mike Williams
Wichita, Kansas
2013 HD FLHTK AE
fammdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #124
Kreskin
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Oddometer: 12
I guess Bill Mayer Saddles should send a thank you card over to the folks at Russell, he's likely going to see 75+ seats he never would have seen otherwise.
Kreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #125
Keithert
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post
I guess Bill Mayer Saddles should send a thank you card over to the folks at Russell, he's likely going to see 75+ seats he never would have seen otherwise.
Do not buy a seat from Bill Mayer Saddles. I bought one of his seats for my Vulcan. It was no more comfortable than stock which is to say it was bad. He remade it once and it was really no better afterwards. After that he would not honor his word about giving a refund. Before I bought a seat from him I talked to him personally and asked if I don't like the seat will I get a refund. He said yes, but wouldn't give a refund when the time came.
__________________
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2005 Yamaha XT225
1998 Ural Deco

Keithert screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 04:37 PM
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #126
fammdw
Adventurer
 
fammdw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
Do not buy a seat from Bill Mayer Saddles. I bought one of his seats for my Vulcan. It was no more comfortable than stock which is to say it was bad. He remade it once and it was really no better afterwards. After that he would not honor his word about giving a refund. Before I bought a seat from him I talked to him personally and asked if I don't like the seat will I get a refund. He said yes, but wouldn't give a refund when the time came.
I looked on his website at the Harley seat gallery. I thought the seat he had pictured on the site was a little ugly and looked kind of like a recovered Hammock seat. I wasn't very impressed. The angle of the photos didn't really show the seat that well. There was like four or five pictures of an Electra Glide and they were all at the same angle. I personally like Rick's design better and he's about the same price at full retail as Bill is with the 25% discount.
__________________
Mike Williams
Wichita, Kansas
2013 HD FLHTK AE
fammdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #127
fammdw
Adventurer
 
fammdw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post
I guess Bill Mayer Saddles should send a thank you card over to the folks at Russell, he's likely going to see 75+ seats he never would have seen otherwise.
Maybe, but I doubt it. Not a lot of activity on the other thread.
__________________
Mike Williams
Wichita, Kansas
2013 HD FLHTK AE
fammdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #128
60av8tor
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fammdw View Post
I think kltk1 has given up on Russell Day Long and I can't say that I blame him. They have shit on him as they shit on me the year before...

Russell Day Long can kiss my Wayfarer sunglasses wearing ass!!
How on earth do you come up with this line of thinking??? Not giving a discount is shitting on someone? I would agree if they said yes, the OP went through all the effort, and then they reversed course; I don't believe this is the way it went down.

I will be riding on my RDL in several weeks - as could you. As a previous owner of several aftermarket seats (will not make this into a comparison), I can tell you I cannot wait to get back onto an RDL. Sometimes it is absolutely worth settling to save a few bucks, other times not. Your view may vary. But cursing a company because they will not give into a group buy seems a bit short-sited. Maybe HD would knock off 20% with a group buy...
__________________
Jonathan

'12 R1200RT
'08 R1200RT (totaled May '13. RIP )
60av8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #129
fammdw
Adventurer
 
fammdw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60av8tor View Post
How on earth do you come up with this line of thinking??? Not giving a discount is shitting on someone? I would agree if they said yes, the OP went through all the effort, and then they reversed course; I don't believe this is the way it went down.

I will be riding on my RDL in several weeks - as could you. As a previous owner of several aftermarket seats (will not make this into a comparison), I can tell you I cannot wait to get back onto an RDL. Sometimes it is absolutely worth settling to save a few bucks, other times not. Your view may vary. But cursing a company because they will not give into a group buy seems a bit short-sited. Maybe HD would knock off 20% with a group buy...
Before you can properly evaluate my response, I think you should spend two and a half months of your life putting together and administering a RDL group buy. I could fill you in on all the details of what goes on behind the scenes, but you would be better served to take on the task and learn for yourself. Only then will you appreciate my sentiment.

If you come across that HD group buy let me know. I would like to get in on all those new 2014 features I missed out on by two months.

Hey... Good luck with your seat man!
__________________
Mike Williams
Wichita, Kansas
2013 HD FLHTK AE

fammdw screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 07:04 PM
fammdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #130
60av8tor
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fammdw View Post
Before you can properly evaluate my response, I think you should spend two and a half months of your life putting together and administering a RDL group buy. I could fill you in on all the details of what goes on behind the scenes, but you would be better served to take on the task and learn for yourself. Only then will you appreciate my sentiment.

If you come across that HD group buy let me know. I would like to get in on all those new 2014 features I missed out on by two months.

Hey... Good luck with your seat man!
I agree, and in no way am I referring to your situation, as I have no knowledge of it. But I'm pretty sure in this instance, nothing was ever promised by RDL - perhaps I'm mistaken. I thought it was a build it and they will come kind of deal. I was a little disappointed, but won't write them off because of it. As I said, totally different story if they change their mind mid-stream....
__________________
Jonathan

'12 R1200RT
'08 R1200RT (totaled May '13. RIP )
60av8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #131
fammdw
Adventurer
 
fammdw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60av8tor View Post
I agree, and in no way am I referring to your situation, as I have no knowledge of it. But I'm pretty sure in this instance, nothing was ever promised by RDL - perhaps I'm mistaken. I thought it was a build it and they will come kind of deal. I was a little disappointed, but won't write them off because of it. As I said, totally different story if they change their mind mid-stream....
I haven't written them off. I may end up with one of their seats on my bike yet. I'm just trying a seat that a good friend of mine loves on his bike from a company that has a generous return policy. If I like this seat, I will save quite a bit of money over the price I was going to pay RDL, even with 20% off. Like I said originally, if it doesn't work out I will decide what direction I'll go from there.

I have told people that I actually love to kiss my ass during times of frustration. I have yet to write one of them off.
__________________
Mike Williams
Wichita, Kansas
2013 HD FLHTK AE
fammdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #132
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Warwick, NY
Oddometer: 171
Having never purchased from Bill Mayer before I can't speak to the unfortunate occurrence described above, however, I have three occurrences with Rick Mayer that I can describe. I'm not in the interest of slamming any company and can only describe my experience. On the first occurrence I ordered my seat for my 2005 Victory Kingpin with embroidery on the seat. I was charged for it but it was not done. Emails to Rick were never returned. Occurrence two, I was having some discomfort issues with the seat. In fairness to Rick, at the time I was a big guy at 5'11" 250lbs. When I inquired I was told that perhaps I should lose some weight. Not that he was wrong, just a poor response to a customer in my opinion. Occurrence three, before emailing Bill, I sent Rick an email about a seat for me only, not the group buy, as his prices were surprisingly low. I never got a response. That prompted a search on Rick and it wasn't uncommon to find dealing with Rick is/was difficult. As always YMMV.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #133
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Warwick, NY
Oddometer: 171
Sorry, should have clarified, the embroidery was not done.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #134
sickticket
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 12
I had been planning on ordering my RDL once the snow started falling here in Pa. When I read the possibility of a group buy I joined in.
I have been reading all the threads on the five or so blogs about touring bikes. The vast majority of comments point to RDL as being worth every cent spent.
No matter if there is a group buy or not, RDL is the only way I am going to go. Quality and customer support are superior and that is basis of my decision.
2013 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition
sickticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #135
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
Do not buy a seat from Bill Mayer Saddles. I bought one of his seats for my Vulcan. It was no more comfortable than stock which is to say it was bad. He remade it once and it was really no better afterwards. After that he would not honor his word about giving a refund. Before I bought a seat from him I talked to him personally and asked if I don't like the seat will I get a refund. He said yes, but wouldn't give a refund when the time came.
Absolutely matches my experience with Bill Mayer. All details the same! Very interesting.
Very happy with my Russell Day Long; worth every penny, and then some.
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014