User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
m2rider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Need a new Rear Shock? and which one?

I am the original owner of a 2009 F800GS. The bike has 65000KM on it now, I don't carry passenger or luggage, so far have ridden it on easy dirt road for 2-3 times. Recently I found the rear shock very soft and bouncing a bit. I tried adjusting both the preload and damping from Min to Max (and Max to Min as well) but I don't realize any difference - it's still very soft and bouncing even both the preload and damping on max. Does it mean the rear shock is gone and I need a new shock. Just wonder how come the sock gone so quickly. Shall I replace with stock BMW shock or others like Ohlins, any recommendation?

m2rider screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 09:44 AM
m2rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,404
Sounds like the shock is toast. Preload effects the spring, not the shock. The rebound adjustment should not be screwed in tight, that prevents any oil flow. If it has no effect, I think you are right. The mileage is probably acceptable, considering the budget suspension put on the bike.

I don't know what BMW charges for a shock, but if anywhere near the cost of aftermarket, that is where to go.

Considering where you ride, you probably don't need state of art suspension with all the bells and whistles. I don't know what medium priced shocks are available. Everything posted seems to be stock is good enough, or the best available.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
TwoCamSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I would probably not replace my BMW shock when it dies. There are plenty of good aftermarket companies out there producing shocks that are rebuildable. Ohlins makes nice suspension, I had one of their shocks on my last bike. They are pricey though. Touratech, Race Tech and a few other companies are making shocks.
TwoCamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I am looking at a new shock too. Touratech is an out of the box ready to go shock with some high end endorsements. It also has a very high end price. For my money, the wilbers 641 from Ted porters beemershop looks like a winner. I'm in north America.
chris73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2rider View Post
I am the original owner of a 2009 F800GS. The bike has 65000KM on it now, I don't carry passenger or luggage, so far have ridden it on easy dirt road for 2-3 times. Recently I found the rear shock very soft and bouncing a bit. I tried adjusting both the preload and damping from Min to Max (and Max to Min as well) but I don't realize any difference - it's still very soft and bouncing even both the preload and damping on max. Does it mean the rear shock is gone and I need a new shock. Just wonder how come the sock gone so quickly. Shall I replace with stock BMW shock or others like Ohlins, any recommendation?
I probably would not buy a stock one. I have a Wilbur's and am very happy with it, you don't have to get the remote preload or hi lo speed damping the price should be $550-$600. The other one I hear great things about is yacugar????
Old 09-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,916
Take a look at a Hagon if one is available.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
m2rider OP
n00b

May be a dumb question, just want to understand how a shock can die, coil should not fatigue in 60000KM of city commute. Can it be damping oil leak - how I can check? I read that the BMW Rear Shock is not repairable, if so, there's no option except getting a new one :-))

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Sounds like the shock is toast. Preload effects the spring, not the shock. The rebound adjustment should not be screwed in tight, that prevents any oil flow. If it has no effect, I think you are right. The mileage is probably acceptable, considering the budget suspension put on the bike.

I don't know what BMW charges for a shock, but if anywhere near the cost of aftermarket, that is where to go.

Considering where you ride, you probably don't need state of art suspension with all the bells and whistles. I don't know what medium priced shocks are available. Everything posted seems to be stock is good enough, or the best available.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
m2rider OP
n00b

Thanks all you guys, I got a list of shock manufacturers to research more. I am a dumb on motorcycle mechanic, a no brain-er installation is a must for me.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2rider View Post
May be a dumb question, just want to understand how a shock can die, coil should not fatigue in 60000KM of city commute. Can it be damping oil leak - how I can check? I read that the BMW Rear Shock is not repairable, if so, there's no option except getting a new one :-))
Bruno in Canada has been rebuilding the Stock 1200 GS/GSA shocks..so you MAY be able to go that route..google him...

The springs actually do go bad..and they are fairly easy to re spring..just need a compressor..of course doing that..throws the already crappy valving off even further..

The valving inside wears out, the oil wears out..the seals wear out..like any other part that cycles hundreds of thousands of times..

On my current '08 GSA..I had the stock shock replaced twice under warranty..at the end of that 36,000 miles..it was ready again, I bought aftermarket..I weigh 30-40 pounds more than the 180 lb guy it was designed for..and road hundreds of miles every week on crappy Death Valley roads..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 300
Contact Alex

I would contact Alex at http://konflictmotorsports.com . Fellow ADV inmate and has a fantastic reputation. I had him do my front set up and he really knows his stuff. You can't get a better resource for suspension plus he just a really nice guy.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
bikerfish1100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I am just now installing a Yacugar that I bought form Ted Porter at Beemershop. Give Ted a call, he's a great guy to do business with.

Life is tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid.- John Wayne

2009 F800GS
2001 R1100S
bikerfish1100 is offline   Reply With Quote