User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
birdcool OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Trek Of Idaho (Tour of Idaho x 2)

Idahoman and I are starting our Trek of Idaho ride going from Canada to Utah following the T1 route with flexibility to add-in where the spirit moves us. We are both riding 2007 KTM's setup for "Trek" riding, with Idahoman on a 525 and me on the 4-hunny. You can follow our progress via SPOT tracking by clicking here:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...eRo6Qmq3Xa9oDk

When we get to Utah, I will turn around if my bike and body are still healthy heading back to Canada along the T1 again. We will post real time updates to this thread along the way when we are in WiFi coverage.

Living the dream. Ride-aho!
birdcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
pizzaforbreakfast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Sounds like a damn good time birdcool. I look forward to your reports.
pizzaforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
birdcool OP
Adventurer

Safely to sundance lookout tower for start of T1 north.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
IdahoMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
IdahoMans SPOY

My SPOT is newer and lays down more points. Here is the URL to my spot:
http:///share.findmespot.com/shared/...eMMIAbVRiSeKIr
IdahoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
birdcool OP
Adventurer

Curse you, Red Barron! Idahoman hurt his ankle today so I am getting the truck and taking him home to Idaho Falls and then restarting the Trek from Utah and riding North. It wouldnt be an adventure if you knew what was going to happen!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
birdcool OP
Adventurer

Guess which one is hurt?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Sorry to hear that. The weather looks as if it is gojng to be a challenge in itself. What happened to Idahoman?
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
IdahoMan
Adventurer

Ankle injury report

The ankle is not good. I cannot put any weight on it this morning. Unfortunately my ride is over. Joe is riding the slab back to his house (about 2 hours), will get the truck and return back to Wallace. We will then haul the bikes an me back to Idaho Falls. Joe will then start the Trek back solo. I'll take him to the Utah boarder on Tuesday as he has some things to take care of on Monday.

I will get the ankle checked out when I get back to IF. I brought pain meds so I'm fine to make the ride home. I have crutches at home but may try and find some here in Wallace this morning. I'll explain the accident in the following reply.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
IdahoMan
Adventurer

Accident report

Basically one of those hope it never happens to me situations. We were riding unimproved dirt roads and riding side by side. I was riding pretty close because a roast had already broken one off my 3 lights on my TrailTech Extreme headlight earlier that morning. It had recently rained so dust was not an issue. About 5-6 miles north of Wallace we came around a blind corner and met two KTM 990s loaded with boxes and bags. I turned into the hill as the engine guard on one of the 990s hit my foot. The gentleman on the 990 glanced from me to Joe. I went into the hill and knew immediately that I had severely injured my ankle. The pain was very severe. After whaling for about 5 minutes it started to subside some. They started picking up pieces of bags, plastics, and blinker. After about 20 minutes of repairing and talking they were all able to get me back on my bike. Joe and I then rode into Wallace single file mind you.

The two gentleman on the 990s were as good of individuals as you could meet. Especially meeting the way we did. It was one of those happen so fast situations that you don't really think about. I should not have been riding side by side and so close. After replaying the incident in my mind I feel fortunate that my ankle and minor bike stuff was all that came out of this. Blind corners on narrow wooded roads are dangerous enough riding single file. Don't increase the risk just to ride next to your riding buddy.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
birdcool OP
Adventurer

Yep. Idahoman has a broken fibula. Crushed between a 990 engine guard rail and the KTM 525. He rode it out to Wallace anyway. Oouch.

The GPS showed 23mph, then 19mph, then 0mph in 1 second increments. Both groups had a nice straight away before a fairly sharp, hill side, 45 degree turn when we met. The 990 riders were laying down official Idaho BDR tracks so the glitch in the IBDR track about 5 miles north of Wallace will be our little signature.

Oh, and we saw and reported a forest fire that was barely started by lightning about one mile past the end of the independance creek trail. So I may be blocked by fire if I get that far on my way north...starting out solo tomorrow from Utah along the T1.

Rideaho!
Old 08-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #11
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Shit happens,,good luck on your T1 trip, are you going for challenge points after all?
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
IdahoMan
Adventurer

Ankle report

It was late Saturday night when we got back to Idaho Falls so I went to the Ready-Care to get checked out since I was still in a lot of pain. As you can see from the previous post it's wasn't a good outcome. Hopefully I can get into my orthopedic tomorrow and decide if it needs pinned or not.

I feel bad messing up Joe's ride of doing the T1 down and back. He has been a great friend in sacrificing his goal this year to take care of my unfortunate situation. Friends like that are hard to find and I want to publicly thank him for what he has done. And, I wish him all the best on his ride back north.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
birdcool OP
Adventurer

And *it happens to the nicest guys too.
>are you going for challenge points after all?
Doing the T1 CP route as default. Not worried about approval. I'll let others decide if I did the Tour of Idaho or "Trek of Idaho" in the end, but that is not my goal this time. I was motivated to see if I could do a 2x, but now I'm more nervous about being solo so it still has the excitement to it. It is really about the satisfaction of overcoming the challenges along the way that floats my boat. If there wasn't unknowns that challenge us, it wouldn't be an adventure.

birdcool screwed with this post 08-25-2014 at 07:44 AM
Old 08-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #14
birdcool OP
Adventurer

I woke to strong lightning and rain so I am driving to poky to do tire swap and trying to start again tomorrow.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #15
birdcool OP
Adventurer

On the trail again from south. About 50 miles in so far. Some mud climbing out of Rubin Hollow had me taking a second run at it, but overall awesome riding day.