User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #151
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Oddometer: 301
41. Recoup for the hollidays

Anytime I get ejected from a bike as long as there isn't any obvious severe pain or limbs pointing in the wrong direction I know I got away more or less OK. Yesterday I had the unfortunate experience of hitting and killing a dog in the road on my way back into town from what was otherwise an awesome day of dirt riding. When I hit the dog I was going around 40mph and went down with the bike. I had the chance to break hard for a brief moment but not much, unfortunately it wasn't enough to avoid the dog. When I hit her the impact torqued the front forks to the right which put me and the bike on a fast track to the pavement. Everything happened pretty quick but I remember seeing the bike in a position not suited for maintaining any sort of control, followed by the sky, some sparks, the sky again, and then the pavement. Somewhere in that process my left foot got pinned under the bike for a second and I tweaked my ankle. In the moment you typically don't notice the little things, but now that I'm not worrying about trying to minimize the terrible last 20 minutes of that dogs life my body has decided to tell me exactly where it's upset with me. It looks like I got some tissue booboos in my left ankle as I can't walk on it at the moment. I'll find some sort of crutches today and whisper sweet nothings in apologies to it over the next week or so. "Muletas" is the word for crutches right? I've never broken a bone #drinkMILK!, but I've had plenty of tumbles and this feels along the same lines of just tissue damage. Some TLC, thick milk, and a week or so out of the saddle should do the trick.

Anyone have a decent camera they want to sell?? Mine got smashed when I hit the pavement yesterday, guess that's my cue to upgrade.
SeanPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #152
Adios Pantalones
AdventureDeficitDisorder

Oddometer: 2,318
Sorry to hear about the tumble mate!

I know you'll get a lot of good advice here, but I wanted to pass along a recent discovery.
After my biff the night we camped out, I got online and did some digging.

Tendons and ligaments are a slow healing process because so little blood flows through them. What I found was a supplement called cissus quadrangularis. Known more for other maladies, I found some mention of it for helping in the healing of connective tissue. I was pretty dinged up and had nothing to lose so I loaded up on it. Totally subjective, but I felt like I healed much faster than previous injuries.

You young guys heal like you're Wolverine, us old dudes, not so much.
Hope you can find some.

Sounds like as long as you're hopping distance from a taco stand, you'll be OK!

Happy and swift healing!

Adios Pantalones screwed with this post 12-24-2013 at 01:22 PM
Adios Pantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #153
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,129
Yeah, but did it hurt the Bike?!?
upweekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #154
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 2,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis View Post
+1

I hope you mend quickly. You left the dog with the best karma you could. There is a reason for everything.
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #155
Roamingmedic
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Roaming medic

Hows the ankle healing? Sorry about the stray dog.....You did right thing staying with it till it died. I'm sure he felt safe with you and calm. Thats a lot better than having to worry about being eaten before you die,,,,,
Roamingmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #156
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adios Pantalones View Post
Sorry to hear about the tumble mate!

I know you'll get a lot of good advice here, but I wanted to pass along a recent discovery.
After my biff the night we camped out, I got online and did some digging.

Tendons and ligaments are a slow healing process because so little blood flows through them. What I found was a supplement called cissus quadrangularis. Known more for other maladies, I found some mention of it for helping in the healing of connective tissue. I was pretty dinged up and had nothing to lose so I loaded up on it. Totally subjective, but I felt like I healed much faster than previous injuries.

You young guys heal like you're Wolverine, us old dudes, not so much.
Hope you can find some.

Sounds like as long as you're hopping distance from a taco stand, you'll be OK!

Happy and swift healing!
Sweet thanks for the info Keith, if that's what you used to get back into the game after that spill up in the desert I'll def give it a shot. As of now I feel like I'm made of some sort of space rubber that just moves back to it's original form given a few minutes. Up and walking around today without a walking stick so should be right as rain in a few days. Maybe it's just all the damn tacos. The guy at the local stand just smirks whenever he sees me come hobbling back to his stand for the 4th time this week.

I might be stuck here for a couple weeks while I find a replacement for my smashed camera and get it shipped down here, this should be plenty of time to get the ankle back in line as well.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #157
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
+1

I hope you mend quickly. You left the dog with the best karma you could. There is a reason for everything.
I'm continually impressed with this bikes ability to take a beating and just brush it off. The bike slid down the road for a good 60 ft and all there was to show for it was a broken mirror (just the glass though not even the arm), an inch ground off my kickstand, .5 inch off my shifter, and some slide marks added to my handle bar guards. Picked her back up, brushed her off and she started right back up. Oh and the front forks were tweaked in the triple tree but I straitened that out on the spot.

Aside from that my riding gear is a bit ripped on the left pant leg and knee, my jacket is ripped on my left arm, and my helmet has some nice new road-buffing on it. Nothing a sewing needle and some glue can't fix though.

I will take this moment to officially thank Sidi for making a bullet proof boot (Crossfire SRT). I get shit from people sometimes asking "why do you wear those big boots? Are they really necessary? Aren't they really expensive?", as of now I can say that they have certainly kept my leg from breaking, being burnt, or otherwise seriously injured 3 separate times, while the boots themselves show no sign of wear. Also as a testament to my other gear, after ragdolling down the road at 40mph I simply picked myself up and walked back over to my bike, very minor road rash where my jacket and gloves didn't cover on my wrists and that's it. A testament to the All The Gear, All The Time (ATGATT) idea and the Kevlar technology in the BMW suit. Don't fuck around with your gear if you are going to be putting yourself out there and getting into the fun stuff, the investment pays off when shit get's thrown into the fan. I'm already back riding my bike around town, cheers to that
Old 12-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #158
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamingmedic View Post
Hows the ankle healing? Sorry about the stray dog.....You did right thing staying with it till it died. I'm sure he felt safe with you and calm. Thats a lot better than having to worry about being eaten before you die,,,,,
Ankle's doing great now, seems like it's better every hour, going to walk to the market today instead of taking the bike.

PS congrats on your first post! For anyone that doesn't know Roamingmedic is my pops, I did my first motorcycle trip with him last year up to Alaska, which subsequently inspired this trip. Good times on the Dalton for sure.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #159
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPNW View Post
I'm continually impressed with this bikes ability to take a beating and just brush it off. The bike slid down the road for a good 60 ft and all there was to show for it was a broken mirror (just the glass though not even the arm), an inch ground off my kickstand, .5 inch off my shifter, and some slide marks added to my handle bar guards. Picked her back up, brushed her off and she started right back up. Oh and the front forks were tweaked in the triple tree but I straitened that out on the spot.

Aside from that my riding gear is a bit ripped on the left pant leg and knee, my jacket is ripped on my left arm, and my helmet has some nice new road-buffing on it. Nothing a sewing needle and some glue can't fix though.

I will take this moment to officially thank Sidi for making a bullet proof boot (Crossfire SRT). I get shit from people sometimes asking "why do you wear those big boots? Are they really necessary? Aren't they really expensive?", as of now I can say that they have certainly kept my leg from breaking, being burnt, or otherwise seriously injured 3 separate times, while the boots themselves show no sign of wear. Also as a testament to my other gear, after ragdolling down the road at 40mph I simply picked myself up and walked back over to my bike, very minor road rash where my jacket and gloves didn't cover on my wrists and that's it. A testament to the All The Gear, All The Time (ATGATT) idea and the Kevlar technology in the BMW suit. Don't fuck around with your gear if you are going to be putting yourself out there and getting into the fun stuff, the investment pays off when shit get's thrown into the fan. I'm already back riding my bike around town, cheers to that
Well said. The older you get, the longer it takes to heal. I'd go ATGATT if I was just riding someplace to crap...........
Old 12-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #160
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,474
Amigo Sean,

I hope you get well very fast, good thing you and the KLR are ok. We we speaking of you yesterday at our Sunday's ride (we the Cochilocos).

I will continue to read you!

Happy new year 2014!

Dámaso
Old 12-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #161
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,321
Happy New Year man! glad to hear you survived your tumble(s), keep on keeping on.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #162
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

The handy 'quote' feature isn't working right now but Damasovi: Que-onda amigo, y felize ano! Also I kept forgetting to tell you but I added the Cochilocos hat to the memorabilia wall at Coco's Corner. So if any of you roll through there make sure to look for it.

Vintagespeed: Happy new year man, hopefully the tank will be staying the right side up for a bit now
Old 01-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #163
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

42. San Pedro, Watchu Got?

Alright let’s get caught up on where I currently am, sorry for the lack of posts. As of now I’m in San Pedro la laguna on Lake Atitlan. When I crashed last week my camera got obliterated as I tumbled down the road. I’ve been hanging out here while I figure out the best and least expensive way to get another one. An inmate turned me on to refurbished cameras straight from Canon, so I picked an older model up pretty cheap (comparatively) and it’s shipping to my buddy Kosh in Seattle. Since I’m getting a package from the US I might as well take the opportunity to put some other stuff in it as well like a couple parts. Shipping stuff is expensive down here and more so if it’s expensive items themselves, so we’ll make everything look grungy and old, and then doll up some fake receipts to fool customs about the cost and hopefully dodge some of the ridiculous import taxes. I probably got another 2 weeks before anything arrives in Antigua so until then I’m sticking around and seeing what there is to see over here in the much cheaper San Pedro. Let’s cut back a week though and get caught up.

I rolled out of Antigua for San Pedro a few days before Christmas. The lake is suppose to be a popular place for the holidays so I knew I wanted to get there before the crowds and lock in a cheap spot. I was told by a local that I should check out Panajachel along the way. This is a small town on the eastern side of the lake which is closest to Antigua.

The road out was nice and this region is full of farms, nice ‘sunday ride’ type stuff.

I decided to make a slight detour down to Panajachel from the main highway hoping to find some scenic roads. I found some nice windy ones that snaked around the farms up in the ‘highlands’ that surround Panajachel and the lake.

I got lost for a bit on the back roads but I didn’t mind. This place is beautiful.

I found my way down into Panajachel eventually and scoped the scene for a hot minute.

Most people come to Panajachel and shop or sightsee, then if they are wanting to go to other places around the lake they take a lancha (small boat) to wherever they are going. Although I can see San Pedro from this side of the lake I’ll be driving around for another 1.5 to get down to it from the other side of the volcanoes.

Ran into a girl I’d met in Flores from the Netherlands so we grabbed some food and hung out for a bit. Nom nom nom.

I headed out of Panajachel and started wrapping around the north end of the lake and climbing the backside of one of the Volcanoes before dropping down into the lake. Clouds were hugging onto the very tip-y-top of the volcano as I came up the summit.

Cresting the top I started the long descent down to the lake.

There are a half dozen or so small towns that line all sides of the lake. All of the populations are Maya and there are 4 separate dialects of Maya spoken around the lake. Each place has a different vibe to it and the locals can tell each other apart by how they dress. For example the women from San Marcos wear predominantly purple based clothing whereas the women from San Pedro where red based clothing. This is San Marcos

And 2 towns over to the right (on the west side of the lake) is San Pedro.

I rode around looking for the cheapest place I could find that still had decent parking for my bike. The streets are so small around here I can’t just leave it out on the road. I found a place with private rooms with bathroom etc for 30Q per night ($~4) and good parking for my bike. Place is called Hotel Peneleu if anyone is interested in the future.

The town is nice and relaxed but with an interesting vibing energy to it. There are a lot of hippies or otherwise ‘earth conscious’ people that flock here. Everyone seems to love the energy around this lake, and it shows in the overall feel of the place when walking around any of the towns that surround it. San Pedro is a hilly town with lots of little streets and alleys. It’s simple and understated.

Sunday is family-fun-day at the local community pool. Here you can eat all afternoon good home-cookin BBQ with plates that range from $4 - $10 and it’s all really good. Lots of the traveling or ex-pat community come here for Sundays but local families also come hang out as well.

Looking out at the water you can see one of the many ways this place has changed so much in the last few years. As you can see, this is a house, and just a couple of years ago it was a tienda sitting on the beach serving food and drinks to the boats that came in to shore in front of it. Now though the beach doesn’t exist and the water is steadily creeping up inland with every year. I’ve asked lots of locals how long this has been happening and what they think the reason is. I’ve heard everything from just lots more rain from global climate change, to more people on the lake and thus more water consumption (sewage, showers, cleaning, etc) which just all goes into the lake, to more farms around the lake and thus less tree cover leading to more surface soil getting washed into the lake which is plugging up the one underwater drain for the whole lake. Some people even say it’s normal and does this every 50 years or so. Still don’t have any real answers but maybe it’s a combination of all of the above. If you want to buy property on Lake Atitlan (and it’s dirt cheap for abso-fucking-lutely AMAZING SCENERY) definitely build a bit up the hill rather than right on the water.

As I’ll be here for a while I have been asking people about things to do in the area. I met a guy in Antigua who said there is an old mayan transport road the cuts between two of the volcanoes. It has been used for centuries to transport goods from the lake to the villages on the other side of the volcanoes. I have been asking all the locals I can about this road and no one seems to know about it, I trust the guy from Antigua though as he says he’s actually been on it. I’m determined to find it and ride it. I’ve got enough info to go looking for it so I’m going to see if I can find it tomorrow. If I come up empty handed at least it’ll be a good dirt ride through the volcanoes, maybe find some small towns without any tourists as well.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #164
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

VERY cool ride report. You are doing it right, bud. No plans, just putt around until you find something interesting.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #165
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Quote:
VERY cool ride report. You are doing it right, bud. No plans, just putt around until you find something interesting.
I made the mistake of doing it the other way once, now that I've tried this out, I can't imagine doing it any other way.
More coming today.