Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #271
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicoblanco View Post
Hey Sean.

Love your ride report! Wow. The pictures, the videos, your attitude, everything man is really right on. I'm subscribed and jealous. I'm heading south in June. Planning a 4 or 5 month ride through Mexico and CA. I'd love to hook up and meet you (and James) if possible. Do you have any idea of where you will be in June or July?

BTW, I'm diggin the music in one of your vids (Exploring Toluca, Mexico). The song is "Someday Baby" by RL Burnside. Puckin eh dude. Love it. I've watched all the vids several times but that one with that song is spot on.

Roll on dude. Catch ya later.
Ooohhh dawgy, June's a coming up right quick, that sounds exciting. In June or July I have a feeling we'll be in SA somewhere, maybe in the south?? If not we'll be riding back up north and thus be coming in through CA again...unless of course we both find women, get married, buy a boat, and live on the open ocean as sea pirates lounging the days away drinking rum and eating limes to fend of scurvy. You never know, it could happen. When you get going shoot me a link to your RR so I can follow along, maybe we can all kick some Tacate's back in the heat in CA somewhere.
SeanPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #272
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
send a PM to inmate Chirique Charlie this is profile LINK he's a retired 'Merican down in Panama, he set you straight ...also look up this place, i didn't go there but heard good things about it - Hostal Refugio del Rio in Boquete
Sent a PM over to Chirique Charlie, thanks for that link. Any thoughts about what places (bars or ports etc) would be best for two scallywags to loiter in to find a captain willing to take us to Colombia on the cheep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoort View Post
+1 except he is missing including one topic of interest. Girls! where are the sexy latin girls?
Shhhhhh...they are a secret, man. You can't go around spreading the word or every male in the northern hemisphere will come down here and sully the place. Maybe we can shake a few photos loose while in Colombia, I'm told this is the motherland for beautiful women, jury is out drinking right now though.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #273
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPNW View Post
Any thoughts about what places (bars or ports etc) would be best for two scallywags to loiter in to find a captain willing to take us to Colombia on the cheep?
try this LINK don't know anything about it as it kind of new, otherwise read jdowns report how he crossed, i used the stahlratte once and flew twice...in the long run it all comes in around the same price +/- a few hundred dollars....

unless you do it like Dylan LINK go to post 129 onwards for details

or the Aussies who bought my buddy Devon's KLR and another bike in a pub in Ushuaia rode to Colombia and then did this...

rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #274
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,432
Quote:
Two Ways Around the Darien Gap

Everyone that rides a moto to South America from North or Central America or vise versa, has to find a way around the Darien Gap. On my way South I took a sailboat from Carti Panama to Cartagena Columbia. At the time, this was probably the most common method used by moto travelers to get around the Darien. It was a lot of fun and included a stopover in the San Blas Islands - an adventure that I thoroughly enjoyed. But on my way back I wanted a different experience. The route I took was certainly different and most likely the route less traveled, at least for moto's. The journey took me from Turbo Colombia to Portobelo Panama via several small lancha's and a Kuna cargo boat.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792011

C5!'s original postings starting with #52 in the "Shipping bike from Panama to Colombia" thread

And for charters.
"A list of sailboats and captains from Panama to Colombia"

AteamNM screwed with this post 03-01-2014 at 02:29 PM
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #275
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
try this LINK don't know anything about it as it kind of new, otherwise read jdowns report how he crossed, i used the stahlratte once and flew twice...in the long run it all comes in around the same price +/- a few hundred dollars....

unless you do it like Dylan LINK go to post 129 onwards for details

Oddly enough I met Dylan up in Canada a year or so ago at a HUBB meetup in Nakusp. Really nice guy, he's got the right idea about traveling I think, and he's got that go get'em attitude that is so inspirational. Guys a hero in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
I like this. I think the later is what we are looking for. A few hundred bones difference is a big difference for us, but what we do have as a unique comodity that others may not is time. We are in no rush, and more than willing to put in the effort to find a way across. We have talked about it a fair amount and going by launchas, sail boats, dug out canoes, or sea turtles sound right up our alley. Guess we just need to show up and start looking.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #276
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

59. Sainting Rosa and Mounting Verde

A few years ago I was working in Costa Rica doing research for my undergraduate degree. Costa Rica was where the idea to do a motorcycle trip through Latin America first was planted. Because of this background, there are a few places that I have on my list to go visit while Iím here. The first is Santa Rosa National Park, this is to be our first stop.

James and I crossed the border to Costa Rica a bit late in the afternoon but the ride to Santa Rosa was just a short jaunt over the border. Santa Rosa is a National Park in northern Costa Rica and has a fairly large, yet remote, lab set-up there. Everything is expensive in Costa Rica, lots of tourism brings lots of money which means people can charge tourist prices for just about everything. The national parks, and the research facility that sits in this one, are no exception. $10 to enter the park, $10-15 for a plate of food at the military style mess hall etc. Most people working there are on research grants and just factor the cost into their grant process, we though are dirtbags on a budget. We roll in close to dusk and I go looking for my old boss to see if we can swing not paying for the night.

The place looks the exact same. There are lots of buildings on the premises, all spread out a bit allowing plenty of vegetation and animal life to still feel at home.

This is the lab area where I sat for what seemed like fucking ever, peering into a microscope for hours, dazed by the constant heat, cooled by a steady flow of smuggled in beer.

The place seemed oddly apocalyptic and deserted. They can house a large number of researchers at a time with several separate compounds just for people coming in to work for several weeks or months, yet we only saw a couple people while walking around.

I found my old boss in his private lab, he didnít remember me amongst the hoards of people that come to do research here every year, so I introduced myself again, explained what we were doing, and asked if James and I could maybe camp somewhere for free for the night. He said Ďgo for ití and turned back to his work. Guy always was fairly amiss, scientific savant, but a bit of a prick. James and I were more than pleased though, and we went over to the camping area and picked our spot right under an old tree that I spent a few nights under before I left here, thinking I would never be back to see it.

It got dark quickly and was time for dinner. We built a small fire and dug through what food we each had left. Rice and beans it is. We plopped a chicken bouillon cube into the water and let her wait.

Thereís not a single other soul in the area of the park where we were. We are the only people around for the first time in quite a while. Thereís no one else we need to entertain, no one else we need to worry about bothering, and we are free to sit and relax on our own. Thereís something nice in the quiet, the lack of any need to socialize. We pull out the cards, the last of our Nicaraguan bum rum, and shoot the shit and joke about the goings on of the last few days. We recall the funny characters and funny events, odd happenings and little moments.

The waters ready, we dump in the rice we have left into the chicken flavored water and let her sit.

We also have some refried beans and we heet those up. After about 30 minutes we are good and hungry, it may look like a big pile of dog shit, but it sure was tasty dog shit.

Being in a national park all by ourselves it was nice not having to worry about our stuff or the bikes. I left everything on the bike and just set up my tent for the night. The rich sound of jungle creatures and howler monkeys drowns out the usual silence of the night. Itís relaxing though, and I slowly drift to sleep in my tent full of food and content, looking up through that enormous tree to the bright stars way beyond it.

In the morning we pack up early to beat the park rangers to the front desk. We were asleep not too long after dark so itís no problem, we get our free nights stay as a reward.

Today we are heading to a place called Monteverde. Itís an Ďeco tourismí spot up in the cloudforests a couple hours from Santa Rosa park down towards San Jose. Itís a pretty place to go check out and a decent place to relax for a couple days.

A bit after you turn off the main highway the road turns to dirt and dust.

The area is remote and beautiful. Good place to go for a ride.

We found a couch surfer that is willing to host us but we have plenty of time to kill when we arrive in town after the hour or so ride up. We get some cold liters of beer and sit in the park and watch the hoards of tourists go by. After working in Santa Rosa national park a few years ago I then came up to Monteverde to do more research for the rest of my time. When we could fit it in, drinking litre bottles of Imperial (the local budwiser) was a popular pastime, that sweet sweet taste came right back.

Monteverde isnít a huge place, and outside of the main town everything is mainly slow windy roads with small communities of people and lots of individual homes. We had some more time to kill so we went riding around. The windy main road the zigs and zags up the mountain terminates at the reserve where you can hike around and look at bugs, animals, birds, and waterfalls.

Just before the reserve is the driveway to where I had been living, and going crazy, with my friend who was working on his PhD.

For our research we hiked around through the jungle and local farms all day long and sometimes throughout the dead of night as well. It was tiring and hard work. I remember wishing that I had a dirt bike to get from place to place. Itís cool being back here now with one to get around on.

We still had more time to kill so we found a cafe back in town to get some interweb stuff done. James made a new friend with with a guitar and got some playing in as well.

Monteverde Toque from No-Moto-Boundaries on Vimeo.

Around dusk we met up with some other couch surfers that were also staying with Evin, our host here in Monteverde.

We made a run to the store to pick up some food to cook dinner with and then went back out Evins place to cook up some grub. We ate, chatted, had a few beers and then called it a night.

The next morning Evin cooked all of us dinner before heading off to work. When you make rice and beans your whole life you get pretty damn good at making them taste special. Still need to ask him how he makes it.

After playing a bit of guitar yesterday, James got the bug to find a place to play for the night. The guy he met yesterday said he could play at their bar that night and he would lend him his guitar. James and I cooked up some bomb food before hand. Eggs, sauteed tortilla strips, veggies, and chicken. Shit was good, and all for about 3k ling lacks ($4 each). Great being able to use someones kitchen and cook a bit.

I got a flat and showed up late after fixing it.

Quiet crowd, but Jamesí music was good, it could be described as Ďroots rockí. Perfect travel listening music. He didnít have to pay for a beer the whole night, nice job James.

The next day we snagged a quick breaky from the local bakery.

Rubbed a puppy's belly.

And then we both split up to get some stuff done. James went to go busking in town and play some more guitar, and I went to snap some photos of the area.

The community here isnít suuuuper big, but itís got a decent population with much of it being dispersed across the mountain in different directions.

As you work further out of town and up the mountain things spread out a bit. Everything is green, the vibe is slow, and everything seems laid back. Stress levels here maybe donít even exist.

After riding around I came to a cafe and lounged for a bit. Ate some more damn fine banana cake, and fed a monkey.

James came back from busking jangling in like long john silver with a bag of gold bullion. He emptied his pockets out on the table and said ďwe have some new options to consider.Ē An owner of a near by restaurant brought him out a beer while he was playing in the street and asked if he would be willing to play at his restaurant tonight for $100 bucks. We are having a BBQ tonight so James declined, but we may just stay another night and whore his lovely talents out for some travel money, with that kind of coin we can ride on for a good amount of time. We donít spend much money between the two of us so every bit takes us a pretty good ways. Nice work James!

Old 03-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #277
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Damn, man. That's what ride report is supposed to look like!

Nice work. Keep on rollin'.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #278
Adios Pantalones
AdventureDeficitDisorder

Oddometer: 2,328
Nice stories! Keep up the good work.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #279
mobie&4c's
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I stumbled on to your rr at 5:30 this morning and although i tried to accomplish something today, i always found myself back at the computer trying to get caught up on where you are present. You guys are awesome and alot of us are living thrue you and appreciate your thorough RR's. If your ever in the jungles of Lone Jack,Mo i have multiple couchs open. (will have to kick the 4 kids off) thanks again
mobie&4c's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #280
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobie&4c's View Post
I stumbled on to your rr at 5:30 this morning and although i tried to accomplish something today, i always found myself back at the computer trying to get caught up on where you are present. You guys are awesome and alot of us are living thrue you and appreciate your thorough RR's. If your ever in the jungles of Lone Jack,Mo i have multiple couchs open. (will have to kick the 4 kids off) thanks again
The jungles of Lone Jack MO sound like a place that's right up our alley We prefer the floors anyways, so no worries about the kids. As of right now we just crossed into Panama this afternoon, found a great border with the help of another ADV'er living in the area, currently writing from the internet at his house. This area of Panama, the highlands near Volcan, is simply stunning. More updates later though.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #281
outdoort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Nice work man. I like how ur just so 'go with the flow'. Keep the RR coming!
Don't forget to give us the details on your budget/cost of this trip, and I think everyone here would love to see a Gear detail on your loadout and possibly some gear reviews. Thanks- outdoort
outdoort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #282
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Stress levels here maybe donít even exist.
Yet ANOTHER classic line from your most excellent RR! I'm laughing out loud and shaking my head in amazement at the cool time you're having.

Then, to top it all off, the unassuming-up-til-now James lets loose his hidden talent of churning out sweet tunes on a guitar and turns himself into a trip-extending cash register!

You guys are KILLING me!!
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #283
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
What's next? You break it to us you're not merely a scientist but also a world-renowned harmonica player and you guys start touring SA a la Jake and Elwood?!
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #284
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,566
awesome! cool way to be James!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #285
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoort View Post
Nice work man. I like how ur just so 'go with the flow'. Keep the RR coming!
Don't forget to give us the details on your budget/cost of this trip, and I think everyone here would love to see a Gear detail on your loadout and possibly some gear reviews. Thanks- outdoort
Thanks man, budget and cost trips are important pieces of info. I think more people should know that you CAN travel cheep, you just have to be willing to step outside of your comfort zone a bit, think outside of the box, and be flexible. My budget when I left for the entire trip was set at $1000/mo. This was to be an average cost across the duration of the trip, some countries, being more expensive, some being less expensive, accidents, parts, etc. I based this on what I had heard other riders were spending, and how my interests compared to theirs. In Guatemala while I was waiting for a box of parts to come in I became evidently aware of my lack of remaining funds. I had $4,000 dollars left which meant, by my supposed budget, I had 4 months of travel left. This was simply just not enough time. I lack the ability to make money simply appear, so I needed to adjust how much I was spending if I was going to be able to see these countries that I so desperately want to experience. At first I was dismayed at this prospect, I thought "how could I possibly spend less money? I thought I was being frugal and conscientious of my funds already??" As with many things in life, you can always do more though, and with the correct motivation you can find a way. My lack of money mixed with a burning drive to see more was the perfect catalyst for finding creative ways to keep going. I soon saw it as an opportunity, rather than a negative. Traveling with less money doesn't mean that you have to 'experience' less. Since leaving Guatemala I have cut my budget by about half, to $500/mo. We haven't paid a single dollar for housing since we left Guatemala, and we have instead put in the energy to meet people, make friends, and be flexible with where we stay. I think I've spent a bit more than this, but that's what I'm working towards. We also don't focus on doing the 'stereotypical' tourist things that we are told are "necessary" to do in a given place. There are many ways to do a trip, for this trip, we aren't looking to simply check the 'suggested sites to see' boxes in the lonely planet travel guide, we want something more than just this. We want a feel for the common people, their day to day lives, and the landscape of a region that they live them in. It just so happens that these interests lend themselves to the traveler on a budget as well.

As I sit here writing this I currently have $3,016 left to spend on this trip. I'm hoping to make that last as long as possible. I enjoy dirt-bagging, and always love a good challenge, so I'm excited to see where I can get with it. When I run out, I'll have to either find work somewhere (up there, down here, over there, temporary, longterm...doesn't matter to me), figure out some other way to keep these wheels rolling, or return to the US and go back to school.

In terms of gear, or anything else, I'll give my 2 cents on anything anyone has an interest in. I'll probably do a loadout report of sorts whenever I end up finishing, but who knows when that'll be . If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

SeanPNW screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 12:07 PM