Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 08:03 AM   #511
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardroad View Post
Great thread, and an excellent post about this interesting place. Thank you. Valparaiso is now on my bucket list.
Thanks Junkyardroad, have a bit more coming on it today I think. .
SeanPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #512
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

96. A Trip Down Memory Lane, and A Rad Day With An Old Man

Being jobless and stationary sure gives you a lot of time to...well, do absolutely nothing. I suppose thatís not entirely true, as you can in fact do quite a lot quite easily, while still doing absolutely nothing. With only a minimal amount of effort, Iíve been making the days of a jobless and stationary life roll by with casual ease. Here in Valparaiso the days almost feel like they disappear from one to the next with sneaky precision. One day itís Friday, and the next day I wake up and the boxy digital readout on my burner phone says ďFridayĒ again, a week has gone by. The days pass effortlessly not because I do anything super exciting that keeps my eyelids pinned so wide open that I canít comprehend the passing of time, but more because thereís just such a perfect mixture of simple activities to explore, coupled with lazy afternoons. Itís like my days are pages in a book, gently being blown over by an afternoon breeze. I sit in a sunny park and shut my eyes to soak up itís warmth and to smell the ocean for just a moment, in that time, minutes, hours, and days pass right on by. Normally I would miss them once I realize they have passed, but I think days in Valparaiso spent this way, are exactly what Valparaiso was designed for.

Sometimes I explore new barrios in town, or find an area I havenít been to before.

Sometimes I explore by day.

And sometimes I explore by night.

Sometimes I go out climbing.

Or drop in on a makeshift concert in a park, or stay for some impromptu spoken word stories.

And sometimes I go out to enjoy a ride on a windy coastal road. Spending a few minutes reminding myself of the awe that is the Pacific Ocean is always welcome.

More often than not though, a good day is one that is spent shooting the shit in a rundown lot, situated high with a good view, listening to a sole musicians heart be bled out through their Saxaphone as they play in their old apartment. They are hidden from sight, but their beautiful notes are for all to hear.

The days are nice. They come, they go, they return as something different, and always unique. I would say more about the little things, as thatís what these days seemed to be filled with most. But I want to tell you about a person, rather than a thing, that I had the pleasure of meeting. Sorry guys, the person isnít a bombshell chilean women, but in fact an old wrinkly man. Stick around though, because heís a rad dude. Itís been a while since I met a complete stranger who I then ended up spending the afternoon shooting the shit with (something that I have grown to really enjoy about travelling). But sometimes you meet the right sort of person that you can do just that with. The other day I was out riding a few towns over, and in a smaller more relaxed middle class retirement beach town, I stopped to snap a photo of an old dog in front of an old car.

An old man passed by as he returned from the store with his own old dog, and in passing asked if I liked old cars. I said ďYeah, they got more character than these new soleless ones.Ē He liked that, and asked if I wanted to see some other ones. I said sure and followed him to what turned out to be his house.

We walked around the back of the house where he slid open two old large barn doors. The old heavy doors rolled smooth and free of obstructions, a sign of someone who appreciates the function of antiquities, and who has an interest in the details of maintaining them. Inside the barn, there is the beautiful smell of wood and soil, mixed with the scent of chunks of old metal from years long past. I look around and I feel like Iíve been transported to another place. A comfortable feeling washes over my senses, there is a feeling of timelessness here. Iíve never been in this place before, but I feel like I already know it. Itís the feeling of a loved garage, a manís personal kingdom, his sanctuary from the outside world. A good garage full of tools and unfinished projects will have this effect on anyone who understands that type of connection. And hot fuckin damn, I love me a good garage.

Inside there are several cars sitting neatly under covers. Enough space was left around each so that it could be worked on and maneuvered around with ease.

I peeled back the cover on the first one and see what are to me, very distinct wheel wells and skirts, followed by a drop top which is unmistakable. If you donít appreciate an old car or two, feel free to just skip on down the post, but if you do appreciate old cars, make sure you got your pants on tight.

Yep, thatís right. Sitting in this inconspicuous barn near the ocean (meet Luis), Luis here had a 1930 Ford model AÖ.roadster edition.

At this point Iím pretty fucking surprised (did I mention I love classic cars?) and proceed to do a full inspection, looking under the car, squatting around on the ground to see the lines and check the body panel alignments. ĎHe have any rust under the chassi?í Nope, not a fucking spec. ĎAny leaky seals coming from the block?í Nope, not a smattering of oil in site. I ask him how many kilometers he has on it and he says heís not totally sure, but he personally has put 30k on the odometer. ďYou fucking what?!Ē He proceeds to inform me, quite casually may I add, that he has personally crossed the Andes in this thing. He pointed out the wear on the spare tire that sits on the back, ďitís like that because I use it!Ē Then he goes and turns the thing on for me, as if itíll start right up just like a brand new lexus.

I remembered that there were other covers in the shop as well, and I turn around to see what sits under the next one. Underneath sits ANOTHER model A, this time itís the sedan version.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nLxvvj][img]https://farm4.staticflickr.

SeanPNW screwed with this post 07-05-2014 at 02:16 PM
Old 06-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #513
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 339
What an awesome day that must have been, for both of you. Nothing like a shared passion-especially of things mechanical.

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #514
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
WOW!!! That's amazing! Being a car guy myself, I really appreciate seeing that. People in those places take much better care of their cars than is done here. Those guys have some fantastic stories as well.

One shop I did some work for here got a 1932 Ford 4 door sedan, right-hand-drive from somewhere in SA. That car was immaculate, un-restored & still being driven. It had been a government car.

Still hanging in there, enjoying your trip.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #515
ErikMotoMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Say HI to Luis, his wife and his dog would ya?

Love it. I'm a car nut myself, have built some one-offs too, so I can relate. Rode out to Albuquerque NM, last week to work on an airplane. Upon arrival I was adopted by Famous Amos. Here he is helping me work on the airplane.
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964253
ErikMotoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:33 PM   #516
SMC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
What a great installment of an already great trip report.
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:51 AM   #517
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,080
Thanks Sean!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:13 AM   #518
Slickrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Excellent

Awesome post! Reminds me of my uncle who taught me about tinkering in a shop.
Slickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #519
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,548
Love, it!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #520
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Luis was definitely an interesting character. I've been lucky to meet people like him throughout this trip, not necessarily other car nuts, but people that have worked hard to cut a life out for themselves while doing what they love. These people are very inspiring, and they show you that it is possible to live a life where you are excited to jump out of bed and get to work, and where you can rest your head at night pleased with what you have accomplished.

He gave me this key chain of his name and car brand that he made. I don't have many trinkets from this trip, but I'll tuck this one away for safe keeping.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #521
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Since you obviously appreciate old cars, be sure to get to the Museo Fangio, in Balcarce Argentina, when you get over there. The museum is named after Juan Manuel Fangio, the Grand Prix driver of the 50's. Look it up on the web.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #522
Adios Pantalones
AdventureDeficitDisorder

Oddometer: 2,322
This is a pretty amazing ride report for a guy that told me he didn't like to write much!

Keep up the good work mate!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #523
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
Since you obviously appreciate old cars, be sure to get to the Museo Fangio, in Balcarce Argentina, when you get over there. The museum is named after Juan Manuel Fangio, the Grand Prix driver of the 50's. Look it up on the web.
Hey AndyT, that museum looks like quite the treat. Update coming but unfortunately I won't be making it to Balcarce, or anything south of this latitude for that matter. Nothing catastrophic happened so no need to worry. More info later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adios Pantalones View Post
This is a pretty amazing ride report for a guy that told me he didn't like to write much!

Keep up the good work mate!
I've always had a strong distaste for bullshit and doing things poorly, maybe that helps with this ride reporting tom-foolery. Someday I'll admit that I enjoy it, but not today. Glad you are still along for the ride Keith, look forward to grabbing a beer again in the future wherever you end up.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #524
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

97. See ya later Chile, Until next time...

Iíve been in Valparaiso for a month now. I donít have a whole bunch to update you on in terms of my time here, as Iíve been doing different elaborations of basically the same stuff. I guess we did have a couch surfer (Leo) come stay with us, he works for a grass roots chocolate Ďfactoryí, he had some of the best chocolate Iíve tasted.

Hind made sushi for the first time.

We cooked more dinners and drank more wine.

And I repaired my sandal.

But really, aside from hanging out, catching more live music shows, and enjoying the day to day life of Valparaiso, there isnít much to update. I have decided to not stay another month though. Itís time to change these present tense words that Iíve been using for Valpo, to the past tense kind. Time to change from I really like it, to I really liked it. I considered spending the winter here in Valparaiso, then continuing when the climate started to get better and go further south, but the olí bank account says nay nay. Itís time to start looping back north. Itís a bit weird to be thinking about, as I feel like Iím at the literal doorstep of some AMAZING riding (southern Chile & Patagonia) , but Iím going to have to leave those stones unturned for later. A while ago (in central america) I was worried about not getting to Patagonia and seeing the landscapes that I had really come to south america to see, thinking that if I didnít make it before winter time, "when would I ever come back?!" Having been here for several months now, and seen some of the stuff I've seen, I have no worries that I will be back in the South in the future, thereís simply just too much good fucking riding and exploring to not .

I sold everything that I owned back in the US, so I donít have a specific place that I really need to go back to, but when I think about the US, it does feel like the right place to head to right now. I donít have much of plan for getting there, other than maybe flying out of Colombia to Miami sounds like a start. The financially responsible person in me says that I should prooobbbably get there within the next 2 months (if not sooner). Although 2 months to make it back to Colombia isn't enough time to do the type of 'meandering' riding that I have grown fond of (and it effectively puts me on the first timeline Iíve had since I left, "can I even do a timeline?"), I still want to ride through and get a little taste of Argentina and Bolivia along the way.

After a month of R&R in Valparaiso, Iím excited to be getting back on the road...thinking that this trip may be wrapped up in 3 months really makes me wonder if Iíll be able to handle being stationary??

Tomorrow, across the border to Argentina, hello Mendoza.

SeanPNW screwed with this post 07-05-2014 at 02:26 PM
Old 06-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #525
mopulga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Hi Sean,
It is fantastic when you find a place to settle in for a bit. Does the body good.

I am shipping my bike to Colombia mid August and I really hope to meet you along the way. Perhaps Ecuador in October? I have family there and a pretty cool place that I think you will like a lot.

Best to you.
i
mopulga is offline   Reply With Quote