Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #61
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
I believe that Mick Goddard (rode the KLX 650R in both the1993 - won it - and 1994 edition Oz Safari's) looked at modifying the alloy 650R swingarm, to the same length specification as the 650C model, for exactly the reasons you mention. (straight line stability). although I don't know if he ever actually performed or ran the bike with that modification in competition?

I reckon the longer C swingarm will make for a better longdistance/high speed dirt tourer... which is what you are going for... no?
Yeah, I need to start talking to some people who have ridden Condo to see how much high speed straight stuff there is. The "C" swing arm looks kinda flimsy where it meets the frame . This bike will be a fun bike/race bike. Will be kept light, no subframe mods, no battery, just kept STD in the way of wiring. After racing it , it might make a few appearances at the TTT or maybe a Longest day mount.
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #62
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogo72 View Post
Yeah, I need to start talking to some people who have ridden Condo to see how much high speed straight stuff there is. The "C" swing arm looks kinda flimsy where it meets the frame . This bike will be a fun bike/race bike. Will be kept light, no subframe mods, no battery, just kept STD in the way of wiring. After racing it , it might make a few appearances at the TTT or maybe a Longest day mount.
There is a reason 450's have been winning Condo for the last ten years Fogo , it is not wide open and fast for most of the going , a KLX 450 would be a lot more economical and successful base for Aaron to race Condo on ( resale value to start with ) .When rjf last did condo on his 640 and remarked after the event that the next time he does Condo , it will be on his 300 . 250 cc bikes do quite well at Condo with a good pilot on their back .

This build thread is much fun but , if Aaron is actually looking to do well at the race he / you would be smarter to find a better bike for the occasion and leave the big green frogs for the ADV type riding . If that happens we will be poorer due to less entertainment though .
Old 09-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #63
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfatbeerman View Post
There is a reason 450's have been winning Condo for the last ten years Fogo , it is not wide open and fast for most of the going , a KLX 450 would be a lot more economical and successful base for Aaron to race Condo on ( resale value to start with ) .When rjf last did condo on his 640 and remarked after the event that the next time he does Condo , it will be on his 300 . 250 cc bikes do quite well at Condo with a good pilot on their back .

This build thread is much fun but , if Aaron is actually looking to do well at the race he / you would be smarter to find a better bike for the occasion and leave the big green frogs for the ADV type riding . If that happens we will be poorer due to less entertainment though .
Sure I agree, CRF450 would be the go. We are a KLX650 family, we have 5 bikes and 8 engines, that's what we know. Don't forget a KLX650 weighs 127 kg dry, well thats what the manual says.
(1) Will Aaron win Condo, No
(2) Will he get a place, NO
(3) Will he finish, Maybe
(4) Will he have fun, Fuck yeah.
(5) Will a crazy arsed family with a KLX700 draw more attention than some of the big boys, Maybe.
(6) Will Silvia catch that one off awesome pic that Aaron can have blown up and hang on his wall for ever, fuck I hope so.
(7) Is Fogo bored and needs a project to keep him out of the pub and in the shed teaching his 3 boys some valuable life skills (how to waste money) yes.
(8) Is life good, YES.

Now shut up and eat your popcorn and enjoy the thread.

BTW at the moment I am building a Condo bike, restoring a 1969 Case Comfort King farm tractor and owner building a 70 square house on my 20 acre property and I work full time.

Cheers Fogo...
Old 09-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #64
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Sure I agree, CRF450 would be the go. We are a KLX650 family, we have 5 bikes and 8 engines, that's what we know. Don't forget a KLX650 weighs 127 kg dry, well thats what the manual says.
(1) Will Aaron win Condo, No
(2) Will he get a place, NO
(3) Will he finish, Maybe
(4) Will he have fun, Fuck yeah.
(5) Will a crazy arsed family with a KLX700 draw more attention than some of the big boys, Maybe.
(6) Will Silvia catch that one off awesome pic that Aaron can have blown up and hang on his wall for ever, fuck I hope so.
(7) Is Fogo bored and needs a project to keep him out of the pub and in the shed teaching his 3 boys some valuable life skills (how to waste money) yes.
(8) Is life good, YES.

Now shut up and eat your popcorn and enjoy the thread.

BTW at the moment I am building a Condo bike, restoring a 1969 Case Comfort King farm tractor and owner building a 70 square house on my 20 acre property and I work full time.

Cheers Fogo...
I might need to ride up and come sit in your shed and watch the preliminary entertainment
good stuff mate
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #65
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
I might need to ride up and come sit in your shed and watch the preliminary entertainment
good stuff mate
Your welcome anytime Marky poo.

Right then, time to sort through all my shit and try and find some useable 2nd hand parts. A few train wrecks to choose from.

I need to find a good transmission in there some where.

Hey while removing one of the barrels I find out that some one had machined it out and put a thin steel sleeve inside it. Sweet, that a keeper.

For those that don't know, the rear axle of the "R" model will also pop your flywheel off, just in case you need to do a quick rebuild in the bush one day.

The LHS crank main bearing now is discontinued and nothing matches up worldwide, this bearing is not great but it certainly doesn't have any pitting so if I have to run it I will. No choice really.

And I found a good transmission.

Cheers Fogo...
Old 09-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #66
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
The LHS crank main bearing now is discontinued and nothing matches up worldwide, this bearing is not great but it certainly doesn't have any pitting so if I have to run it I will. No choice really.
Fogo, have you considered having the bearing manufactured? I have a mate who runs and repairs old Caterpillar machinery. He is rebuilding a Cat D7C (I think?) for a farmer, which has a non-standard (undersize) crank. He can't get bearings for this thing, so he has found someone who makes them. The price was not unreasonable either, considering the cost of a new crank in relation to the cost of the engine. Not sure if he does roller bearings (as the crank bearings in this dozer are a sleeve type) but might be worth a call? Let me know and I'll chase down a contact for you.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #67
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECKS-Man View Post
Fogo, have you considered having the bearing manufactured? I have a mate who runs and repairs old Caterpillar machinery. He is rebuilding a Cat D7C (I think?) for a farmer, which has a non-standard (undersize) crank. He can't get bearings for this thing, so he has found someone who makes them. The price was not unreasonable either, considering the cost of a new crank in relation to the cost of the engine. Not sure if he does roller bearings (as the crank bearings in this dozer are a sleeve type) but might be worth a call? Let me know and I'll chase down a contact for you.

Thanks Ecks, I have a few tricks up my sleeve yet. I have a couple more engine cases to check.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #68
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Thanks Ecks, I have a few tricks up my sleeve yet. I have a couple more engine cases to check.
No probs mate, keep it in mind. I'm sure there are a lot of similarities between a KLX and a Cat D7!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #69
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,429
Quote:

I reckon the longer C swingarm will make for a better longdistance/high speed dirt tourer... which is what you are going for... no?
Quote:
There is a reason 450's have been winning Condo for the last ten years Fogo , it is not wide open and fast for most of the going , a KLX 450 would be a lot more economical and successful base for Aaron to race Condo on ( resale value to start with )...

Quote:
Sure I agree, CRF450 would be the go. We are a KLX650 family, we have 5 bikes and 8 engines, that's what we know. Don't forget a KLX650 weighs 127 kg dry, well thats what the manual says....

Cheers Fogo...

Ummmm... build light project KLX 700R with shorter/stronger better handling alloy swingarm for Condo... then change out swing arm for longer/more stable steel version afterwards (Condo' race debut) for further career duty as longdistance gravel tourer...?

Old 09-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #70
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,617
My money is on Junior taking Best young KLX 650 rider class hands down

and more importantly having a whale of a time doing it with Dad by his side - id say this thread will beat PGF!!

Apple fanboy

Quote:
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #71
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil View Post
My money is on Junior taking Best young KLX 650 rider class hands down

and more importantly having a whale of a time doing it with Dad by his side - id say this thread will beat PGF!!

Me too , but I had to tell Fogo the truth , even though I new it would only serve to strengthen his resolve to build the Green tractor he has in his minds eye .

keep the build happenin' Team Green .
Old 09-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #72
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Quote:
Me too , but I had to tell Fogo the truth , even though I new it would only serve to strengthen his resolve to build the Green tractor he has in his minds eye .

keep the build happenin' Team Green .
Rumour has it that Kawasaki Australia's Marketing department are watching this thread very closely.

There just maybe a market for a KLX700R adventure bike in the future.

Sorry, couldn't help myself, sometimes I lie, But hey it sounded good.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #73
dirty dennis
are we there yet

Oddometer: 2,290
Ive got a bit of a soft spot for the Kawas. Ok, there I've said it Had GPZ's for years & a klr 600 & Tengai. This looks great. Might have to get that ZZR1200 motor for the GTR after all!!

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:55 AM   #74
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

The fairing.

Hey I tried to order the fairing today from Rally raid UK online store, I emailed them the other day and they said that fairings are very expensive to ship. he said about $120 GBP plus the price of the fairing of $313 pounds. I went to check out and shipping went up to $320 pounds , so al up it was $1040 aus.
I went back and retyped in my USA shipping address and postage was free, being sceptical I pulled out until further research.
Do they have a store in the USA?

Does anyone in Australia have a mould for this fairing, KTM690 2007 -2008 - 2009.?

How sick would it be to ride around the streets on something like this but Green.

Fogo72 screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 02:05 AM
Old 09-17-2013, 02:22 AM   #75
GSXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Subscribed.

Great project you've got going there Fogo. It will be interesting to see how all the re-engineering unfolds. Do the plans include any cylinder head work? Are they pretty good from stock? I would imagine that with an increase in swept volume by about 9%, it would be happy to take any gains in the inlet side of things, porting, valves etc.