Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #16
Nimajus OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
We drive couple of blocks to the main street to get some breakfast. While parking on an incline my friend drops his bike. While trying to catch it he revs it and floods the engine.

I'm really feeling retarded about this trip at that point...

After a bagel and coffee we drive out back to NY. He needs to get his bike to a shop to fix the leaking forks and front brakes. I say that we make a half an hour detour and drive through the curvy bear mountain. For me as a smile recovery ride... for him to learn a bit of what leaning the bike is.

As we drive I notice him dropping the speed. We stop and now (probably due to the dropped bike) the kick stand is falling down while riding. He needs to keep putting it up. After awhile I get this rubber hook I had and tie the kick stand under his bike.

The crazy curves plus the new sticky and smooth pavement on the bear mountain makes me feel a lot better.

Nimajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #17
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,231
In! Have a great trip, hope your license thing gets sorted out.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #18
tennesseejoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
goodluck on the trip! this should be interesting
tennesseejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #19
Nimajus OP
Adventurer

200 miles later I get to Long Island, catch up on some work and in the evening take the big burgman. My girlfriend takes me out to the City Field. Riding the big scoot on the back for the first time she feels a lot more comfy and happy. Does not start yelling at me to slow down at 55 mph. After some highway miles we hit bad traffic, then two really really long lights. Then I stop to ask how parking works for the stadium and bam OVERHEATED....

It is humid like crazy and 95-100 degrees, but... I just bought this 650 and the dealer checked it and said it was all good (oil change + top off liquids)

After some hanging out at the game and me trying to figure out what the hell an inning is and how baseball works I start to ponder how Detroit which from what I know is literally bankrupt just ripped Mets a new deposit hole.

Mystified by the magical sport of baseball we ride back with me checking my temp carefully and riding lowest rpm's possible.

Next morning I drop the bike off at suzuki... It's Thursday. I'm supposed to be leaving for California Monday in early AM. I think that the dealer forgot to top off the coolant. When I bought my Aprilia same thing happened on a hot day.. I topped off the coolant and it's running purrfect since.

Nimajus screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 06:29 AM
Old 09-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #20
TheBlurr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,767
May I suggest you both take a Motorcycle Safety Course before you take on this journey?
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #21
Nimajus OP
Adventurer

A motorcycle Safety Course would not be bad. That said I though I was doing pretty good learning how to ride in the past few months. Since first getting my scoot in May, I've been riding daily even if it rained bad. I practice braking hard at least every two days. I've learned how to lean and take corners pretty well by now. Also now I no longer need to force myself to look far ahead in curves and general driving. As for general defensive driving I have decent car driving experience, but more importantly after the SUV did the no blinker U-turn in front of me. Now I drive as invisible. I watch those russian motorcycle crash dash cam videos every once in a while to keep myself on my toes. It's surprising how often the motorcyclist is at fault overpassing cars in dumb ways.

That said, I though I will be the less experienced and will have trouble keeping up. I'm not sure now :/
Old 09-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #22
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
I'm sure you guys will have a blast. Like many said before its a beautiful country. I remember moving here and being in aww with the beauty of this big country of ours.
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #23
Nimajus OP
Adventurer

So Thursday afternoon comes, during lunch I walk to the Suzuki dealership to see what the call was about.

BAMMM...
$1200 estimate.. looking at me
My heart drops...
bam...
bammm
that's not even labor included...
radiator,
fan assembly...

I'm supposed to leave on MON :O Nooooo! And that's the whole budget of a trip?!

I run to the back my big burgman hippo is all naked.
Radiator has a small dent... not cracked.

The aluminum bent back jamming the fan against it.
I don't see that we need to replace the radiator. The mechanic says he'll take it out and try to bend it back.

I hope that these fans cut off when they can't spin and don't burn out their motor.

Next day the fan is out, but it needs replacement so they order a part to be overnighted. It seems to be working, but the heavy push against the fan together with the heat had deformed the shape of the hard plastic.

The estimate pretty much is halfed and they say they'll try to help me out and work their numbers a bit to get rid of at least the shipping cost. We'll see.

Right now I wish I had a garage so I could tinker with tools. I'd probably try to put weights on the fan and use a heat gun to warm the plastic and make it straight again.

Now it's Saturday morning. Monday afternoon the bike should be complete.
His forks and brakes are fixed. I have to work 20 hours this weekend and then Monday 11am I have the road test again.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #24
TheBlurr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimajus View Post
A motorcycle Safety Course would not be bad. That said I though I was doing pretty good learning how to ride in the past few months. Since first getting my scoot in May, I've been riding daily even if it rained bad. I practice braking hard at least every two days. I've learned how to lean and take corners pretty well by now. Also now I no longer need to force myself to look far ahead in curves and general driving. As for general defensive driving I have decent car driving experience, but more importantly after the SUV did the no blinker U-turn in front of me. Now I drive as invisible. I watch those russian motorcycle crash dash cam videos every once in a while to keep myself on my toes. It's surprising how often the motorcyclist is at fault overpassing cars in dumb ways.

That said, I though I will be the less experienced and will have trouble keeping up. I'm not sure now :/
I rode on the street for 20 years, with another 15 in the dirt prior experience before I took my first formal advanced class, I learned Tons.

You are 30 percent more likely to die on a motorcycle than in an automobile, please take a course :)

And enjoy the trip :)
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #25
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
Fellow inmates....has not the OP made clear that the time available to take this trip is limited? Yeah, I agree....a course is an excellent idea, but I think it will come down to choosing the trip or the course but not both. He doesn't appear to have the control over his schedule that everyone seems to assume he has. I'm not saying that we should NOT advise him to take a course, just that we should not be surprised if he doesn't.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #26
KLR 41B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Welcome to America
KLR 41B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
Dabears
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
I'm in. Good luck on your test Monday.

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #28
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
checking in from your battle scooters thread

damn! talk about some luck! must be a cheaper place to do the radiator and i have never heard of having to have your own car to get a DL license or take the behind the wheel test or w/e? how in the hell can the state compel a person to purchase something just to get a license? how about a truck driver, cab drivers or any driver, period? it sounds stupid. how about if you rent something?

gonna be watching this thread and good luck

DudeClone screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 01:35 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #29
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Pity you are planning on leaving Monday since if you took the MSF course and passed the on the bike test in New York.
Quote:
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/motorcycles.htm
The DMV recommends that you consider the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Course. The course offers classroom instruction in addition to instruction on a motorcycle on a closed course. The MSF provides a motorcycle and helmet during the course. If you complete the MSF course, your motorcycle road test will be waived. If you cannot take the MSF course, the DMV recommends that you take instruction from a commercial driving school.
cdwise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #30
Yakima
I'm slow...

Oddometer: 264
Hey there
I lived in LT for a couple of years. Where are you from? when did you emigrate?
Looking forward to following across the US.
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote