Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Grokking_Fullness OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive. (Two brothers head west)

Just a hair over a year ago my brother and i each bought our first motorcycles. Me, a trusty KLR650, and him, a mean looking Harley Nightster. Soon after buying the bikes we had dreams of bouncing around the country, soaking in the beautiful sights that our midwest brains could only dream of. Things started falling into place and now i can hardly believe its only 3 days until we hit the road. Monday ill be leaving the beautiful Upper Peninsula of Michigan where i have called home for the past three years and head to Detroit to see family and meet up with my brother. From there, we go west. The plan as of now is to bounce around the west, from national park, to national park. With no real plan other to end up in flagstaff, AZ by mid november, we are looking to have a good time. Thats putting the emphasis on good rather than time.

I will be updating this thread periodically over the duration of our travels as i love to take photos and share stories.

Since a ride report is no fun without pictures ill start you guys off with some shake down ride photos, and a couple photos of pre-trip wrenching.

Mugshot of myself, and a shot of the brothers loaded Harley.

Day trip up to Copper Harbor from Marquette. 300 mile round trip to test out the feel of the bike fully loaded. Still managed 50mpg at 60mph with luggage and knobbies. Not too shabby!

Time for some wrenching pictures. Mounted a gps with ram-mounts to the happy trails dash. Had to brace the dash with some rubber clamp things due to excessive vibration with the added weight of the gps. Also wired up a 12volt power block to power the gps and charge the phone/mp3 player. Its not water proof so i added in a quick disconnect and used velcro to mount the block to the handlebar clamps. After that i removed my passenger pegs and mounted them on the HT highway bars to get ride of the floppy crappy ones that HT gives you. After that, went through the bike checking fasteners and putting loc-tite on everything. Gave the air filter a nice cleaning, and now all thats left is to mount my new ZG double bubble screen and give the bike an oil change and shes ready to start hammering out the miles!

Now to just survive the last couple days of work, then its the long way down Michigan from Marquette to Detroit. Taking the scenic route down m22 then along the west coast to kalamazoo, before cutting east to spend a couple days in Detroit to meet up with the little bro.

Stay tuned for the rest of the adventure!

Grokking_Fullness screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 10:48 AM
Grokking_Fullness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Grokking_Fullness OP
Adventurer

September 16
Marquette, MI to Detroit, MI.

Total miles rode:655
Time in saddle: 12 hours 3 min
Total trip time: 13 hours

Woke up bright and early to catch the sunrise over lake superior on the way out of town. Morning temperature ended up being in the low 30'sF which made for a pretty chilly ride for the first couple hours although it was nothing some layers and hot coffee couldnt fix! The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. I was trying to avoid driving down major highways, which put me riding past cornfield after cornfield all day. While beautiful in their own way, after growing up with them, im craving the mountains. The time will come soon enough though. Spending a couple days with the family before heading to the badlands later this week!

Old 09-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Grokking_Fullness OP
Adventurer

After being on the road for 6 days we are just preparing to leave South Dakota tomorrow. Ill just keep this post short and upload some pictures! We have had nothing but good weather the past 6 days and had an awesome time riding through the Badlands, Blackhills, and Custer state park. None of these pictures are in order but ill let them speak for themselves.

Off to Wyoming tomorrow!