Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
fredsters_s OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Pissed Disappointing BMW warranty experience - need some context

Hi all,

* apologies if this is the wrong forum to be posting in *

I'm a newish rider with a 2nd hand 2012 f650gs, purchased about 4 months ago. I bought the bike with 5k on the clock, it's now at 13k. I like to ride. Mostly weekend trips. Probably 70/30 on/off road. Bike has a few off-road adventure farkles: skid plate, crash bars etc to keep drops from messing up the resale value.

I took it in for the 12k service (to BMW san francisco) and they found that my rear wheel bearings have 'failed'. Apparently this means the bearing casing has shattered. BMW are not going to cover this under the warranty, since it's a wear and tear item.

I'm feeling a bit pissed about this to be honest. It seems to me that such a core component of the bike should not fail after only 12k miles, and if it is to fail then BMW should be bending over backwards to restore my loss of confidence in the bike and the brand by at the very least replacing the bearings under the warranty.

Since starting my own business I have found an appreciation for caring about customers and we spend a lot of time making our brand trustworthy and making things right when we mess up. I would have expected the same from BMW (I realise this is naive).

So, can the sages of advrider give me some context on what to expect from BMW wrt warranties? I think I may be overreacting, but I'm seriously feeling like I want to sell the little '50 and jump into bed with a more serious off-road brand like the orange guys. I love this bike, it's a beautiful balance between on-road precision and off-road finesse with a gutsy little motor, but I don't want to spend $1000 every time I take her to the garage.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Fred
fredsters_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Pissed Welcome to the madness....

If the bike is out of warranty there is nothing they would do unless you bought the bike from that dealer maybe, I said maybe they will try to do some thing for you to make you happy and come back for future business. Might be cheaper to find a replacement wheel on FM (Flee market)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsters_s View Post
Hi all,

I'm a newish rider with a 2nd hand 2012 f650gs, purchased about 4 months ago. I bought the bike with 5k on the clock, it's now at 13k. I like to ride. Mostly weekend trips. Probably 70/30 on/off road. Bike has a few off-road adventure farkles: skid plate, crash bars etc to keep drops from messing up the resale value.

I took it in for the 12k service (to BMW san francisco) and they found that my rear wheel bearings have 'failed'. Apparently this means the bearing casing has shattered. BMW are not going to cover this under the warranty, since it's a wear and tear item.

I'm feeling a bit pissed about this to be honest. It seems to me that such a core component of the bike should not fail after only 12k miles, and if it is to fail then BMW should be bending over backwards to restore my loss of confidence in the bike and the brand by at the very least replacing the bearings under the warranty.

Since starting my own business I have found an appreciation for caring about customers and we spend a lot of time making our brand trustworthy and making things right when we mess up. I would have expected the same from BMW (I realise this is naive).

So, can the sages of advrider give me some context on what to expect from BMW wrt warranties? I think I may be overreacting, but I'm seriously feeling like I want to sell the little '50 and jump into bed with a more serious off-road brand like the orange guys. I love this bike, it's a beautiful balance between on-road precision and off-road finesse with a gutsy little motor, but I don't want to spend $1000 every time I take her to the garage.

Fred

Scubalong screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 02:43 PM
Scubalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
fredsters_s OP
n00b

The bike is from 2012 so has 2 years left on the manufacturer's warranty.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Hi all,

Fred
Hey Fred,

I'm not a BMW owner, but if it's a bearing, and you are mechanically inclined, you can just order the parts and replace it yourself with a new set of seals. You might need a tool to get the bearing and seal out. Those are cheap though. Google may be your friend. You should be able to get the part numbers easily.

Also, run your vin for recalls either on the net or the dealer. There's a thread here on others with this "issue."

If you do your own wrenching, you just might make BMW owning affordable. This one should get you out the door for under 100 bucks.

cheers
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
tah1800
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
He indicated its a 2012 model so the bike should be under warranty. You will find a number of posts here and on the F800 web site about the lack of customer service that is received from far too many BMW dealers. If you happen to find a good one, spread the news but unfortunately, it's the exception rather than the rule. Is the hub a wear and tear item? Maybe, but there are threads expressly devoted to this issue and BMW will not publicly address it as a problem. Keep it in mind when making your next purchase and speak with your wallet.
tah1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post
If the bike is out of warranty there is nothing they would do unless you bought the bike from that dealer maybe, I said maybe they will try to do some thing for you to make you happy and come bake for future business. Might be cheaper to find a replacement wheel on FM (Flee market)
Wow, a new wheel?! It's just a bearing! A wear item! Easy to fix! You could buy a manual or youtube it for a video. You'll have the tools for next time!
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,305
In what motorcycle warranty are brake pads, shocks, bearings, tires, etc covered?

From the BMW Motorrad website:

This warranty does not apply to the following:

This includes, but is not limited to, the
replacement of brake pads, linings
and rotor assemblies, clutch plates,
rear drive chain and sprockets, rear
drive belt and belt wheels,
spring strut dampers, steering head
dampers, steering head, wheel and
swing arm bearings and ball joints,
incandescent bulbs, fuses, control
cables, exhaust pipes and mufflers for
discoloration of finish and rubber
items such as hand grips, heated
hand grips, foot rests, foot shift and
control cable shields.

You'll find this language in the warranties of essentially all makes of motorcycles.

Replace your bearings and get on with it.

Once the wheel is off this is a 20 minute job.

Probably took you longer to compose the post.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
You probably should have done a little research on BMW and their head in the sand approach to Customer Service before you bought the bike. Picture a team of people with their fingers stuck in their ears who spend all day mumbling "I can't hear you" and you have a pretty good idea of what your up against

Of all the brands I have ever owned, BMW is the one with the greatest delta between perceived and actual quality of engineering.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Sealed cartridge ball bearing NTN6204 you should be able to find them easily for 10 bucks a copy.
Your bike uses 2 in the front hub, and 3 at the rear wheel
Old 09-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
BMW are not going to cover this under the warranty, since it's a wear... item.
Fred,

Sorry, but a wheel bearing is a wear item. Just because a bike is a BMW doesn't mean the manufacturer or dealer is going to replace wear items which fail earlier than an owner wishes. Complaints about BMW are oftentimes the product of unreasonable expectations.

Remove the wheels, replace the bearings yourself, and get on with a great ride.

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
I thought the OP said the casing of the hub is shatthering...
If just the bearing then yes it is fairly low cost to repair. Woody wheel also provide the service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Wow, a new wheel?! It's just a bearing! A wear item! Easy to fix! You could buy a manual or youtube it for a video. You'll have the tools for next time!

Scubalong screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 04:33 PM
Scubalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,057
There is a long list of F8 and F658 owners who have had rear wheel bearing problems.
Motorrad are often complete aszholes when it comes to warranty work, but really good at selling you $20 cans of chain lube.
Motorrad know they can count on a faithful core of excuse makers.
How many riders have experienced catastrophic bearing failures in the rear wheel on their previous bikes? Not wear and tear, but bearing destruction with low mileage?
The only option you have is to buy a better quality bearing and have it installed, as I take it your bike is not rideable. You can source the 3 bearings, seals, clip and have them all changed. It shouldn't cost you much, people are telling you it is only a 20 minute job.
Depending on the tech, that is.
Start your own maintenance schedule, do things yourself and dont rely on Motorrad to do anything for you.
I could give a rats arse if some BMW loyalist takes me to task for my comments, I have bought my first and my last BMW product.
Fool me once....as the old saying goes.
Motorrad care about new bike sales figures and are excellent at generating dissatisfied customers with the way they run their warranty claims.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 555
There have been many wheel bearing failures, but mostly with the F800GS due to improperly sized hub bores. And BMW have replaced some under good will. Call a different dealer, even if out of state and ask if any of their customers have had BMW cover premature bearing replacement. My dealer has.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
The issue isn't whether the item is excluded in the fine print -- it's whether it is reasonable for the factory to cover what is in all probability a manufacturing issue. It seems like the OP didn't get anything like normal service from his wheel. That should be the end of it. My son's Ducati fuel tank bulged (due to plastic/enthanol incompatability) -- it was replaced gratis, but I believe as part of a class action lawsuit settlement. Should never have had to go that far.
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
fredsters_s OP
n00b

Thanks all for your replies. I absolutely agree with those of you that don't see this as a 'is it in the fine print' thing but more a 'do the right thing' kind of thing.

Apparently it worked against me that I had done 7k miles in 3 months, and that the previous owner had his entire instrument panel replaced under warranty (melted due to an aftermarket windshield).

If I were to guess I'd say that the 650gs isn't built for riding two-up.