ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,265
Nevada Trip Planning, Ride Report Links, Tips, Gas Locations & Other Information

Planning an Adventure or Dual Sport Ride to Nevada is not always easy because I am not aware of a central place to go for the information you will need to plan a trip.

I found this out last year when planning my first Dual Sport Ride to Central Nevada.

If you know of a good ride report on Nevada, please post a link. If you have questions about a particular road in Nevada, maybe someone had ridden it.

For map reference, I think the Benchmark Nevada Road & Recreation Atlas is the best map for Nevada. I will be using this map to reference road names and places of interest. I am using the Benchmark Maps 2012 Third Edition, Revised.

I have found I need an Atlas in addition to Google Earth and Mapsource to determine routes and even with all the planning I still had to reroute during the ride because of locked gates, private property and a few dead ends. But I got enough right to make the two trips I have taken a lot of fun.

I'm hoping this thread can be a central depository of information for:
1. Trip Planning
2. Nevada Ride Report Links
3. Helpful information about where to find gas
4. Pictures of interesting places to ride to in Nevada like Dianna's Punch Bowl
5. Where to find camp spots and lodging
6. Where the many hot springs are located
7. Where you are likely to see Wild Mustangs

I took a Dual Sport Ride on KTM dual sports last spring and an Adventure Ride on some 24 year old BMW R100GS Adventure Bikes in June 2013. Had a blast on both rides and want to do more exploring.

I'm new to riding in Nevada and like what I have seen so I'm hoping those of you that have experience riding in Nevada will contribute to this thread so those of us new to Nevada can learn from your experience.

2on2off screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 12:36 AM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

What I have learned about Nevada so far

Here are a few things I have learned about riding in Nevada in the past year:

1. Ophir Pass is only open when the snow at the summit has melted
2. Ophir Pass is much easier to ride west to east
3. Tonopah is a good place to start a ride in Central Nevada
4. Central Nevada is at high elevation, 4,000 - 10,000 ft and is usually 10-20 degrees or more colder than the Death Valley area
5. There is gas in:
a. Tonopah
b. Carvers and Hadley near Round Mountain
c. Austin
d. Dyer
e. Little Alien Inn, Rachael (for emergencies only)
f. Gold Point (for emergencies if the owner is there)
g. Ash Springs (when heading to or from Rachael)
6. Motel rooms in Austin can fill up quick. I wasn't able to get a room there last year on either trip.

I have seen some very good ride reports posted about riding in Nevada on this forum. I have also seen many groups of dual sport riders in Austin through the years so I know many people ride in this area.

Here are two links of my ride reports about Nevada from last year:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871808
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875611

Video of riding in Nevada: This is a video is about "refreshing" a 24 year old BMW R100GS Airhead Adventure bike and then taking it to Nevada for an Adventure ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhjODbWdmnA

2on2off screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 12:23 AM
Old 09-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Hardly been to Nevada myself, but here are a few resources that might help... Looking forward to your rr....

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/jarbidge.html

http://www.exploringnevada.com/scenic-drives/index.php

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,288
Take a look at the Statewide Motorized Trail System (SMTS) for NV on GPSXchange.com

I have waypoints for almost every gas source outside on the real towns which have several sources each.

Because gas is so far apart in NV, I have GPS tracks for quality Dual Sport routes between each two adjacient gas source.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
The thread is a good idea to provide a central repository. Lots of great country in Nevada. I've lived here 35+ years and haven't seen it all. As mentioned, Nevada isn't all about desert and hot temps. Lots of higher elevation destinations. Big WIDE FLAT valleys between some very real mountain ranges. Be aware of the distances between "civilization" and very real seasonal changes (SNOW), take care and enjoy!
Old 09-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Routes from Rachael to Lunar Crater Volcanic Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Take a look at the Statewide Motorized Trail System (SMTS) for NV on GPSXchange.com

I have waypoints for almost every gas source outside on the real towns which have several sources each.

Because gas is so far apart in NV, I have GPS tracks for quality Dual Sport routes between each two adjacient gas source.
When in Rachael last June, we were told there was a dirt route to Lunar Crater Volcanic Field from Rachael that had four water crossings. Because we were on adventure bikes, we decided to pass on the route this time and try it next time after I had done some research on it. So far I haven't found anyone who has ridden this route and can tell me what to expect. Flash floods can take a toll on dirt roads in the desert so I'm curious about the condition of the road and if the water washes out the road from time to time. Here are the directions we were given:
1. 375 N/W from Rachael
2. Smith Well Rd North through Corral to Quin Canyon
3. Quin Canyon road through Buttes Spring to Lunar Crater Volcanic Field
Note: My Nevada Atlas says about this area: "Roads may be impassable when wet".

Have you ridden this route and if so, what can you tell me about the four water crossings? Pictures would be great.

Also, have you ridden past Michael Heizer's Complex City which is 32 miles north/east of Rachael? It is all dirt road to this site. From what I have read about it, he doesn't want visitors but was wondering if you can ride near it on public dirt roads. Would be fun to see it from a hill top.

Thanks.

2on2off screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 12:31 AM
Old 09-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,724
Headed out for a week in Nevada on Friday. See my sig for the last ride report. Will have another soon.

This link goes to one of MasterMarines excellent reports and he has links to two more within this report.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
Have you ridden this route and if so, what can you tell me about the four water crossings?

Also, have you ridden past Michael Heizer's Complex City which is 32 miles north/east of Rachael? Thanks.
Sorry no to both.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,985
We spent all or part of 3 days riding in eastern Nevada in the Mesquite and Alamo area on this trip.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892221

I had never seen any previous tracks for much of the ride from Mesquite to Alamo.

This is not quite central Nevada, but it is close to Rachel and Ash Springs which seem to be in your area of interest.

I too have found that the Benchmark Road and Rec map books are great supplement to Garmin digital maps for planning this type of trip.

It would sure be nice to get the powers that be to open up the Alamo road in the Desert National Wildlife Refuge. I rode it a long time ago and I understand that some guys still do ride it despite the nasty closure signs. We had a large group and I knew a few of the guys would not like getting a ticket - as I heard happened to at least one guy from Las Vegas.
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
This is an excellent Nevada report, to bad the pictures are gone. Maybe we can get De Eee to put them back in.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840028
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Oh yea, here's another good recent one.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912968
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
Here are a few things I have learned about riding in Nevada in the past year:

1. Ophir Pass is only open when the snow at the summit has melted
2. Ophir Pass is much easier to ride west to east
3. Tonopah is a good place to start a ride in Central Nevada Stay and leave your vehicles at the Clown Motel
4. Central Nevada is at high elevation, 4,000 - 10,000 ft and is usually 10-20 degrees or more colder than the Death Valley area
5. There is gas in:
a. Tonopah
b. Carvers and Hadley near Round Mountain
c. Austin
d. Dyer
e. Little Alien Inn, Rachael (for emergencies only) Good Luck with that...
f. Gold Point (for emergencies if the owner is there)
g. Ash Springs (when heading to or from Rachael)
6. Motel rooms in Austin can fill up quick. I wasn't able to get a room there last year on either trip.
7. Eureka
8. Ely

I have seen some very good ride reports posted about riding in Nevada on this forum. I have also seen many groups of dual sport riders in Austin through the years so I know many people ride in this area. There's no restaurants open in Austin after 8:00pm

Here are two links of my ride reports about Nevada from last year:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871808
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875611

Video of riding in Nevada: This is a video is about "refreshing" a 24 year old BMW R100GS Airhead Adventure bike and then taking it to Nevada for an Adventure ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhjODbWdmnA
Central Nevada

When riding in the mountains between Tonopah, Ely, Eureka and Austin be very aware of the very large wild horse population out there. And be sure to not leave any gates open. These gates are used to control the horse population and keep competing herds from fighting with and killing others. I was riding out there a few years back with Herrhelmet and we were chased down multiple times by large herds and they mean business. One horse jumped off a 4-5 foot rise next to a trail and ran into Herrhelmet knocking him off his bike while riding at about 30-35 mph. This horse chased him down from behind and kept rolling right on by. Herr never saw him coming until the horse was right on top of him.....

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 11:01 AM
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
e. Little Alien Inn, Rachael (for emergencies only) Good Luck with that...
I got gas at the Inn in Rachael last year, no problem and very helpful once they learned it was for a bike. It wasn't cheap but all-in-all a good deal.

-dman
dman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
I got gas at the Inn in Rachael last year, no problem and very helpful once they learned it was for a bike. It wasn't cheap but all-in-all a good deal.

-dman
I tried twice and they were always out. Had a guy siphon some from his truck once though....
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Wild Horses Are really Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
Central Nevada

When riding in the mountains between Tonopah, Ely, Eureka and Austin be very aware of the very large wild horse population out there. And be sure to not leave any gates open. These gates are used to control the horse population and keep competing herds from fighting with and killing others. I was riding out there a few years back with Herrhelmet and we were chased down multiple times by large herds and they mean business. One horse jumped off a 4-5 foot rise next to a trail and ran into Herrhelmet knocking him off his bike while riding at about 30-35 mph. This horse chased him down from behind and kept rolling right on by. Herr never saw him coming until the horse was right on top of him.....
Thanks for the additional information.

Wow.......I never even considered that a Wild Mustang would chase me down. Good to know.