ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
I tried twice and they were always out. Had a guy siphon some from his truck once though....
Ya. Sounds like you shouldn't plan on getting gas there.

I carried an additional gallon of fuel on my R100GS when I rode in that area in June and didn't have much left when I rolled into Tonopah. We did ride some of the dirt north of Rachael and gassed up at Ash Springs on our way heading west.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #17
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
Thanks for the additional information.

Wow.......I never even considered that a Wild Mustang would chase me down. Good to know.

Maybe Jim, Herrhelmet will chime in about this one. All I saw was him go down in a pile of dust and a huge horse running off laughing at him while his herd watched from a plateau.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #18
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 190
6 Day 1100 mile NV Adventure Loop

Here's a 6 day 1100 mile California, Nevada, Oregon loop we did last June

MAP LINKY

COMPLETE TRIP REPORT HERE (BY OTHERS)
http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index...yon-adventure/

HIGHLIGHTS:
High Rock Canyon Historical Immigrant Trail

Bog Hot Springs...
"RHUTT ROH"
Wild Horses/Asses

B24 Crash Site/Memorial (Hodakaguy)

Temperature Extremes

Plenty of SPACE!

Two Thumbs up!

Juan
Nevada City
KTM 350 EXC-F
KTM 200
KLR 650
R1150RT
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,307
Going to be watching rockets fly on Black Rock this Sat. Looks like chance of rain. Should we be worried about having two adventure bikes out on the playa?
Also looking for info/directions on the access to the playa from the east off Jungo Rd. Is it easy to find and cross the tracks?

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #20
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
This might have been mentioned somewhere else, but Denio does not have gas and will not until they can buy some new fuel tanks. The state condemed their underground tank. Fields has gas, but is open only from about 8 AM to 4 PM
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #21
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Baja Ho put link up to my rr..I missed a good hot spring by Diana's Punch Bowl.There are hot springs scattered across Nevada.Countdowns Smts tracks work good.If you are riding a big GS style bike the nevada aaa map is good.The sandwich counter in the gas station/mini mart at Carver's has good sandwiches.Black Rock dry lake can really suck if it gets wet.I had to carry my mtn bike after it rained at a burning man event a few years back.The muck will completely lock your wheels up.It can snow in nevada in the summer above 7-8000'-so you should have extra layers handy.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #22
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,421
Great info and of course pics.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #23
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,307
Don't take the roads for granted. I high sided through a silt pit on Jungo Rd on Saturday. I was cruising at 50mph, entry speed was probably down to 40mph through the first one, and probably about 30mph when I hit the second larger one that took me down. I fared ok, the bike took some dings, but I can replace those parts. It was a good dose of reality that cooled out jets for the rest of the trip. If you don't know the road, don't be complacent about it.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #24
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Nevada Silt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes950 View Post
Don't take the roads for granted. I high sided through a silt pit on Jungo Rd on Saturday. I was cruising at 50mph, entry speed was probably down to 40mph through the first one, and probably about 30mph when I hit the second larger one that took me down. I fared ok, the bike took some dings, but I can replace those parts. It was a good dose of reality that cooled out jets for the rest of the trip. If you don't know the road, don't be complacent about it.
Good point. I rode through several sections of silt on the "original" Pony Express Route in June north/east of Eureka. I didn't look down and kept my eyes straight ahead and could feel the silt coming almost up to my knees as my front wheel plowed through it. I was on my 1989 BMW Bumble Bee R100GS and I think the silt was as deep as my axles. I could see it coming so didn't get surprised by it but I was still puckered up pretty good riding through it.

We had to space ourselves far apart while riding through it because of the large cloud of dust it threw up. I try to avoid silt but sometimes you can't.

Regrouping after the silt: