User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #16
dreamtour OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Thank you Comrade Art,
The boots are Sidi Adventure...a bit pricy but keep the feet dry 100%.
dreamtour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
dreamtour OP
Adventurer

Thank you Wdwrkr,
I'll be happy to meet for a ride and coffee. Lets keep in touch over PM.
The RedSox just made it...
Old 10-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #18
dreamtour OP
Adventurer

6/14/13 - Friday
I met the folks from Pangaea Adventure at 8:00am. We got the equipment and debriefed what to do and when in terms of safety. The day includes boat ride to Columbia glacier and kayaking. We loaded the kayaks on the boat, the captain provided some safety information and we are on our way. I was outside at the rear of the boat looking around and the view is spectacular. The boat slowed down near the shore, Bald Eagles on the trees…Amazing. These are large birds, can be seen from far. We continued the ride and spotted few killer whales, this is getting exciting… I managed to get a shot of two whales mating.
As we continued we sew seals, sea otters, Humpback whales and Puffins... Wildlife in their natural habitat.

We got to the kayaks into the water and started our paddling toward the glacier. We can see the huge glacier from far. Due to the low tide there are small and large icebergs on the ground. We had to push the kayaks over the shallow water into the icebergs area. As we continued paddling, we can hear the icebergs cracking, breaking up and bubbling, very impressive scenes. These icebergs are house-size and can create enormous waves while breaking.
We continued paddling between the icebergs with the seals, birds and other wildlife...Pure beauty.
It was great day paddling in the kayak, relaxing and inspiring.

At the hotel I saw two adventure motorcycles at the parking lot, I met the riders, they were Canadians planning to go north to Fairbanks. They asked lots of questions on my trip, we exchange information and said good-bye. Tomorrow I’ll continue my trip south. I want to be in Hyder and Stewart in two days, which is about 1300 miles.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #19
terrapinneck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Awesomeness

Thanks for sharing, hopefully we're heading that way next June. Your pics are making us drool. Looking forward to your next post and subscribed.
terrapinneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #20
dreamtour OP
Adventurer

6/15/13 –Saturday
Today I’ll ride form Valdez to Whitehorse, it's about 600 miles. I woke up late, and decided to ride the Alaska Hwy to Whitehorse. I'll stay at the Tekhini hot springs which is north of the city. The ride is nice and quite, not that many wildlife, I saw few bears on the road, goats and moose. I made it to the campground at 8:30pm and walked to the hot springs and stay there until 11PM. Nice spot but the Liard springs was better.
6/16/13 – Sunday
Whitehorse to Kinaskan lake, BC. Got up early and start packing, a gentleman approached me and we chat about my trip. Terry is from Ontario visiting his son at Whitehorse. We discussed solo travel pros and cons. He currently have HD but looking to replace it with adventure bike. We said goodbye and went our ways. I had breakfast at the truck stop, later I called home to check how the girls are going. It is father day today.... Daddy is traveling and having a blast…last year I was on a trip to Newfoundland the same time...When I’ll be next year? Mongolia or Morocco. We’ll see.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #21
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Enjoyed every word and pic and looking forward to more.

This was my favorite pic. So many times in amazing places like Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, etc I've witnessed scenes such as this that are completely unreal. It's more amazing than any postcard.

Morocco or Mongolia? You should consider another two M's. Madagascar and Mozambique! Man, I want to go!

If you ever come to Baja, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #22
dreamtour OP
Adventurer

Thank You Justin,
Indeed Baja is on the list...you never know.
All the best,

Regards,

Yigal
NH.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Thanks again for the great photographs and ride. Looking forward to the ride myself. Very inspiring indeed!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #24
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtour View Post
Thank You Justin,
Indeed Baja is on the list...you never know.
All the best,

Regards,

Yigal
NH.
Come down, my friend. I'll guarantee a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #25
dreamtour OP
Adventurer

6/17/13 - Monday -
Kinaskan lake, BC - Hyder, AK

I decided to go to Hyder, AK today, Rt 37 south in BC. The road isn’t in great shape, potholes, gravel stretches and uneven surface, but no complaints; I’m enjoying the ride. Two bears jumped into the road as the vegetation is really condensed. The bears heard the bike and crossed the road; I braked hard, swerved to complete stop. I have to be on the lookout for the wildlife…I guess sometimes I’m dreaming while riding.

Other than the early meeting with the bears, it was uneventful ride to Hyder, AK. To reach Salmon glacier is about ~35 miles on gravel road up the mountain. The weather is perfect, clear, warm and dry, can’t resist. I started the ride toward the glacier…what a ride...The view is spectacular; the road is narrow and steep but fun to ride. At about 2/3 of the mountain I can see what looks like large rock in brown color… About 3-4 feet from the “Rock” I realized it’s a giant grizzly who got scare and stood up…hemm, I’m not comfortable now, two long seconds and the beast decided to run to the ditch and disappeared…It a good reminder to look ahead and be on the lookout in this infested bear country. I couldn’t believe I didn’t recognize it earlier. At the top of the mountain, I took a break to enjoy the moment, start snapping shots…on the far end across the glacier on the slope I can see animal running, I thought it’s a bear but it was too fast for a bear. I could not recognize the animal from far. I took few quick pictures using the 300mm lens…it was Wolverine…what the chances to see this today. The Wolverine stopped and rested on a rock, looking around…great moment.
The amount of wildlife I saw in this trip is immense, pure nature at its best. I hope this delicate balance will be maintained and kept as we humans populating the areas. The ride back to Hyder was pure fun…I took a long lunch at Hyder, salmon meal of course, salad and my daily Espresso intake -J.
It's about 2:00PM and I need to reach Prince George, BC for the night. The weather is partially cloudy with rain at times. It will be a long ride into the night. This is not my favorite but I need to put the bike on the shipping platform in Seattle on the 19th, which is in two days. I’m about 1000 miles from Seattle. I will ship the bike from Seattle to NH with Federal.
I made it to Prince George at night about 9PM-10PM. I stopped at the service station and asked for the local hotel/motel. The lady was referring me to the hotel across the street. I was tired and ready to hit the sack.

6/18/13 - Tuesday
Price George, BC - Seattle, WA. Last section of the trip.
Late start, breakfast, refuel, bought some snacks and hit the road. I have mix feeling today. My adventure is coming to an end, I’ve had lot of time to think and dream on many aspects of life during the trip, I let my mind to wonder… I had some tense moments, met lots of people, see lots of wildlife, felt connected to nature. Now it’s the time to emerge slowly into reality. I’m grateful I had the opportunity to make this adventure of a lifetime.

This is the video version of the trip…

">

Shipping the bike:
I have spoke several times with Federal agent Amber. She called me a week before my departure and informed me that the company has sold to another shipping company and she hopes that the rules for the shipping remain the same, because they are in transition. She was honest and told me that the new company is stricter and they may not take the bike with the side cases. At this point it’s too late to look for some other company, I’ll figure it out once I’m in Seattle. She told me to call her if there are any issues. Let me tell you folks, it was a breeze; they load the bike in less than 10 min with the side cases, no questions. The bike arrived the same way I left it 5 days later at my garage door in NH. Great service and pretty good price…Seattle to NH $800 include insurance.