User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
opas OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
BMW F800GS Adventure to havy ?

I am considering changing my F800GS 2011 into a New F800 GS Adventure 2014. But I have read that the New 800GSA have gained so much more weight behind compromising the driving experience. This is due to the reinforced rear frame and larger fueltank. Some say it feels like driving with passasenger all the time. Does anyone have 800GSA who can tell about their experiences around this? Certainly compared to standard 800GS.?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by opas View Post
I am considering changing my F800GS 2011 into a New F800 GS Adventure 2014. But I have read that the New 800GSA have gained so much more weight behind compromising the driving experience. This is due to the reinforced rear frame and larger fueltank. Some say it feels like driving with passasenger all the time. Does anyone have 800GSA who can tell about their experiences around this? Certainly compared to standard 800GS.?
For the bucks, the weight etc., I'd be tempted to look into the 1200? I looked at the 800 Adventure in my dealer's showroom (not in the least bit interested) and it looked (mind you, I've never ridden one) like a beast. The price was lower than the 1200....but close enough to be on the same shopping list?
I thought the whole idea of the 650/700/800 was to keep it simpler and lighter than the 1200?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

Oddometer: 74
These are the reasons I am looking at buying the standard F800GS, and, doing all that I can within reason to lighten, and/or keep it light.
Dewtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Honestly as this is purely an opinion I am not a fan of the 800GSA at all. It is even more of a pig than the GS. Considering I modified almost everything about the GS the GSA makes it even harder and necessary to modify due to the weight and poor suspension. The range of the fuel tank is the only thing that I like about it but I feel like I have been able to compensate for that with the Camel Tank and a 2 gal rotopax.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
I was never excited about the GSA... My dealer tried to actually talk me into holding off on my '13 GS purchase to wait for the GSA to drop, but I went ahead and got my GS. To me, the 800 boarders on the too big, but I enjoy the added size for touring. The GSA looks bulky as hell, weighs even more, and crosses that point of I'd rather just go to a 1200 at that point.

Added fuel... I don't get it. my tank has plenty to get me to the gas station. If need more I'd rather carry extra for that specific task than all that added bulk and weight all the time. Plenty of options for carrying a little extra.

Just my .02.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
The listed weights for the F800 GS and F800 GSA are as follows

Unladen weight, road ready, fully fueled:

F800 GS - 214 kg = 471 lbs
F800 GSA - 229 kg = 504 obs

The difference between the two is 33 lbs.

The GSA carries two more gallons of fuel. The weight of a US gallon of fuel is 6.073, so two more gallons 12 pounds. Thus 12 of those 33 pounds are taken up by extra fuel, leaving a 21 lbs difference, if you consider that many long distance GS riders carry two 1 gallon RotoPax fuel cells.

Percentage wise the GSA weighs 6.55% more than the GS.

Theoretically...well I've seen some really large guys driving around on F800 GSs, that would basically negate any benefit of having the GS over the GSA, meaning they are carrying around an extra 20-30 lbs of fat.

Having ridden a R1200GS, F800GS and the new F800GSA, I can say once you get it rolling, there's not much perceivable difference in the ride of the two F800s. There is a pretty large difference (in my opinion) between the R1200GS and the F800GS. To me, the F800 ride is much more nimble and that might be in part to where the fuel is carried. As you know a R1200GSA carries about 9 gallons of fuel up high, where both the f800GS and F800GSA carries the weight down low.

I think they added some plastic around the radiator which helps to cut down on wind, but does make it look a bit more bulky.

The F800GS (which I've owned) the F800GSA (which I own) the R1200GA (which I've ridden extensively) and the R1200RT (which I own) are all PIGS. They don't old a candle to the KTM 350 EXC-F which weighs half and less than half than these bikes. If you really want to have fun and are weight conscious, get the KTM. HOWEVER, all the BMWs have things on it that you would want the KTM to have if you were driving on a BDR, which in the end would add weight.

I think given their intended purpose...riding on dirt roads....any of the bikes will do fine. 30 lbs isn't going to make or break your trip.

Buy your GS or GSA knowing that BOTH are heavy.

Having been in the gun business in another life, I'm keenly aware when a customer comes into the shop, describes theoretical problems with gun A and why gun B is better I know he wants gun B. As a sales guy, I know that both will do a half inch group at intended ranges and both can put a human being down, but hey, if the guy wrongly thinks that gun A won't do it for him, I'm happy to sell him gun B.

I think you should buy the bike that best fits your current and future needs, but a decision made because of 20 lbs isn't really a sustainable argument, especially when you add a pillion or weigh the bike down en more with gear.

Respectfully.......
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
casperghst42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
I don't think it's the weight one should think too much about, but more the balance of the bike.

The F8gs is already very light on the front when one adds luggage, adding more weight at the end does not help this. I've have situations in very strong wind where I more or less end up sitting on the airbox to keep the front on the ground (but I'm also fat).

Apart from that, I would say that you should decide what you want, the F8gs does have a reasonable mileage (+300km @ 120km/h w/luggage), if you need more then the F8gsa could be an option.

I've had the R12gs and gsa, and they do not compare to the F8, as they are different bikes all together.

Casper
casperghst42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
I looked at the 800 GSA and rejected it. I could visualize dropping the bike off pavement and flying through the windshield instead of over it on my 2010. I found significant savings by buying a 2 gallon plastic gas container and two bungee cords. Dave
Old 09-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457

F800 GS - 214 kg = 472 lbs
F800 GSA - 229 kg = 505 lbs
R1200GS - 238kg = 533 lbs
R1200GSA - 256kg = 564 lbs
Old 09-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
I forgot to mention in my message above...and trying to inject a little humor into the discussion...choosing the F800 GS over the GSA by considering weight is like one guy having a 290 lb wife and another guy having a 300 lb wife and the first guy looking at the second guys wife and saying..."man, she's fat!!"

Well, they are both fat! :)

Ever see the movie "Shallow Hal".

As for dropping it off road and flying through the tall windshield...I could see where that could happen, but parts of your body would probably first impact the handlebars before getting to the windscreen and both the GS and GSA have handlebars.

I'm not sure about balance....maybe some input from people who have both fully loaded luggage and a passenger. That should add about 200 lbs to the rear of the GS. Does that make the bike unstable or the front prone to wheelies. Maybe someone will chime in.

What I think is that you already have a GS, probably not enough there to make you want to trade in your existing bike for a new GSA, but for those stepping into the adventure crowd, the GSA is not a bad way to go. I think the only downside for me is that it's really tall and my legs are really short. But since I spend most of my time riding and not stationary, I'll get used to it.

In another thread people were complaining about the F800s having bad wheel bearings and soft rims among other shortcomings. Good things to know and look at for all the F800s.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
TwoCamSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Ive ridden both the 800GS and I own a GSA. I ride my GSA everyday to work and am able to ride in on single track without panniers. The GS is definately lighter but once you start bolting stuff on the weight is going to climb as well. I do like the narrower front end on the GS though!
TwoCamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #12
opas OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I see the points. But I really like that GSA has been upgraded comfort with electric utilities, better ride comfort and wind protection. Also like the increased range with the new fuel tank. LED lights are also a plus.
The new R1200GS costs in Norway almost 30% more than a similar fully equipped 800GSA, and you can not get the original aluminum cases for the 1200GS. R1200GSA is too big I think. So for me it's a great upgrade from my 2011 800GS to a 2014 800GSA. The only thing I was unsure about the handling has become worse with the new 800GSA on the road. I have read that the weight has been increased on the front of the bike to compensate for the added weight behind.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
mosaicoMX
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I'm getting mine in 4 days!
mosaicoMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
Flyred
Who is John Galt?

Oddometer: 678
I traded in my 07' KTM 990 with 65,000 miles for a GSA. The 800 needs a taller 6th gear and a lower 1st gear. Otherwise, I took it on the WABDR last week and it did just fine. It's all about having the right tires
Flyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
The listed weights for the F800 GS and F800 GSA are as follows

F800 GS - 214 kg = 471 lbs
F800 GSA - 229 kg = 504 obs

The difference between the two is 33 lbs.

The GSA carries two more gallons of fuel. The weight of a US gallon of fuel is 6.073, so two more gallons 12 pounds. Thus 12 of those 33 pounds are taken up by extra fuel, leaving a 21 lbs difference, if you consider that many long distance GS riders carry two 1 gallon RotoPax fuel cells.

Percentage wise the GSA weighs 6.55% more than the GS.

Theoretically...well I've seen some really large guys driving around on F800 GSs, that would basically negate any benefit of having the GS over the GSA, meaning they are carrying around an extra 20-30 lbs of fat.

Having ridden a R1200GS, F800GS and the new F800GSA, I can say once you get it rolling, there's not much perceivable difference in the ride of the two F800s. There is a pretty large difference (in my opinion) between the R1200GS and the F800GS. To me, the F800 ride is much more nimble and that might be in part to where the fuel is carried. As you know a R1200GSA carries about 9 gallons of fuel up high, where both the f800GS and F800GSA carries the weight down low.

I think they added some plastic around the radiator which helps to cut down on wind, but does make it look a bit more bulky.

The F800GS (which I've owned) the F800GSA (which I own) the R1200GA (which I've ridden extensively) and the R1200RT (which I own) are all PIGS. They don't old a candle to the KTM 350 EXC-F which weighs half and less than half than these bikes. If you really want to have fun and are weight conscious, get the KTM. HOWEVER, all the BMWs have things on it that you would want the KTM to have if you were driving on a BDR, which in the end would add weight.

I think given their intended purpose...riding on dirt roads....any of the bikes will do fine. 30 lbs isn't going to make or break your trip.

Buy your GS or GSA knowing that BOTH are heavy.

Having been in the gun business in another life, I'm keenly aware when a customer comes into the shop, describes theoretical problems with gun A and why gun B is better I know he wants gun B. As a sales guy, I know that both will do a half inch group at intended ranges and both can put a human being down, but hey, if the guy wrongly thinks that gun A won't do it for him, I'm happy to sell him gun B.

I think you should buy the bike that best fits your current and future needs, but a decision made because of 20 lbs isn't really a sustainable argument, especially when you add a pillion or weigh the bike down en more with gear.

Respectfully.......
Well said.

You are right, all of the big bikes are going to be pigs off road but they are rideable. They (and the 1200 GS / GSA whihc I have also riden) actually handle pretty well considering the weight of the bikes, accessories, luggage and rider (+ passenger?). I'm not a great off road rider but I took a little training and am able to get through most things that present themselves to me.

On my trips to Mexico and South America I carried a Rotopax tank with my 800GS and needed the extra fuel 3 or 4 times max. Would I get another 800? You betcha. Would I get the GSA . . . tempting, could go either way. While the extra fuel capacity is tempting, right now I think I might opt for the GS just because I would give the electronic gizmos a pass.

Get either one, just get one.
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote