User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Anyone use the bike to hunt?

I think I could haul my pack frame and rifle/bow in strapped to my boxes/frame. Put my camp gear in my side boxes and haul out a quartered deer strapped to the pack frame - sitting on the passenger seat. Anyone else do this? It wouldn't be as much weight as a passenger but it'd take some creative strapping and maybe a lite extra rope. I'm pretty sure an elk would be out of the question but why not a deer?

Anyone.... Bueller?
wyobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
manic mechanic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Yes, but not in the way that you mean. So far I've killed three deer and a car with motorcycles, totaled the bikes.
Rounder #6
MOA Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
RA WI Regional Rep, rally camping chair
manic mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

:-)

You should always carry a knife. At least you could have recovered the back straps from the deer. Cars, I don't know what parts are tasty and easy to get off quicklike.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I use mine to scout new areas. But take my pickup for the hunting trips. I have thought about mounting a hard rifle case to one side rack for day trips. I could haul a deer home on the KLR, but an elk would require more than one trip.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
TxRoadDog
SHOVELS AND EVOS

Oddometer: 209
If I had a Ural I would.
1996 Harley Davidson FXDS, V-Thunder 3010, Torrington B-138, Hylift Johnson Lifters, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, V&H Competition Drag pipes, Riser Spacers, Santee XLX Low rise Bars, J&P Antique style grips, 13" FXDX Shocks, Shimmed and PVC'd front forks with 20w oil.
TxRoadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,123
I carry the bow and the gear to go with it, across the back. No hassle.
For loading I figure weight carrying capacity of motorcycle is the limit. Although the sensitivities of city folk may interfere, as usual.

Bowhunting is illegal here, so loading is not an issue for us.
A hunting parcours with 3D models is laid out in a natural setting. Rules are made to make it as realistic as possible, such as finding the target, shooting from difficult positions, penalties for hits in a non lethal spot, etc.

Good hunting.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,727
A Ruger Super Redhawk in an Uncle Mike's bandoleer for the big stuff (bears) and a suppressed .22 in the tankbag for grouse. I did have a Kolpin mounted to the 990 for a while for the .338, too, but haven't figured it out for the Dakar yet. I have a CCW so handguns are both loaded. Legal in this state.
Nimrod makes a great pack, bit big to be called a fanny pack, but that's where it rides. Knife, bone saw, meat bags, etc. ride in it, though I sometimes take the harness off and strap the bag to the bike.
http://www.nimrodpacks.com/hunting-gear.html

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
I think I could haul my pack frame and rifle/bow in strapped to my boxes/frame. Put my camp gear in my side boxes and haul out a quartered deer strapped to the pack frame - sitting on the passenger seat. Anyone else do this? It wouldn't be as much weight as a passenger but it'd take some creative strapping and maybe a lite extra rope. I'm pretty sure an elk would be out of the question but why not a deer?

Anyone.... Bueller?
Try a moto-mule trailer behind the bike.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,727
Hell, it takes me two trips to get an elk out on foot.... figure the same on the moto. I'm also blessed with an understanding wife, who, if I called and said "Honey, bring the truck!" would also bring beer. But I carry lots of straps and plan on strapping quarters across the back (elk) or on the pillion/rack area (deer, they're littler.)
Plus, the Nimrod has a hidden internal frame meat bag in it, that I've packed two elk quarters in before. Probably hold most of a boned out deer.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.

1911fan screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 08:28 PM
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
killianm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I've only done ground hogs in the summer. It looks funny riding on the road with a "sniper" rifle slung across my back! Keeps the neighbors in check.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,063
Check this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283412
Old 09-15-2013, 02:36 AM   #12
Icecold Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Hell, it takes me two trips to get an elk out on foot....

1911fan
Two trips on foot? Alone? Those Washington elk sure must be tiny. It took 2 pack horses to get my quartered and caped Colorado elk down below treeline.

I ride my DR to my stand every time I hunt, and park it right under the tree. The guys I hunt with say the deer will smell it and not come near me. All I can tell you is that I fill the freezer every year. Those same guys spend thousands on the latest gear and clothes. As for me, jeans and a flannel have worked just fine.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:21 AM   #13
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm pretty sure the Roosevelt elk are bigger bodied on average than a Rocky Mtn elk. Still, I've packed a cow Rocky Mtn elk out in two trips under less than ideal conditions so I know it can be done. It couldn't be done by me now (I was fresh out of the Marine Corps then).
Old 09-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #14
Icecold Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
How is it done? With a sled sort of device that you drag behind you? That's hardcore!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #15
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nope... Front quarter, back quarter, one blackstrap and one tenderloin strapped to a frame. Each load was over 200 lbs. Up and down Wyoming mountains... Through calf deep snow for nearly 5 miles. It sucked and I couldn't have done it if the distance were much farther. I'm guessing your pack horse trip was farther in than 5 miles.